Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

George Nader- vintage gay beefcake

George Nader was born in Pasadena, California in 1921. He went to Occidental College, where he graduated with his Bachelor’s degree. He served as a communications officer during WWII for the the US Navy.

In 1950 he decided to get into acting, appearing in a few productions at the Pasadena Playhouse, and then doing bit parts in numerous films in 1950-1952. In 1953 he would land his first lead role in “Robot Monster”, a 3D film that is considered one of the worst films ever made, but it was financially successful, opening doors for more roles in films. He was also appearing on television during this time. In 1954 he would begin making films for Universal Studios. He made numerous films for them from 1954 to 1958. In 1959 he decided to move to regular television roles, starring in a few short-lived television shows. In 1963 he began making foreign films, as he wasn’t getting much work in the states. He made a few European films and guest starred in a few shows there before making a film in Germany that was a huge hit, leading to an entire series of films.

In the 1970s he retired from acting and ventured into writing. He wrote “Chrome”, a 1978 science fiction novel about a man who falls in love with a male Android.

While he was not openly gay during his acting career (you couldn’t be back then) he also didn’t use beards to appear straight. Instead he would just deflect questions when asked. In reality, Nader was in a serious relationship with his partner Mark Miller and they lived together. They were both close friends of Rock Hudson, with Miller also being the personal secretary to Hudson from 1972 up to his death. Shortly after Hudson died from AIDS Nader acknowledged his sexuality publicly.

Nader developed many medical issues, and in 2002 he died of cardiopulmonary failure, pneumonia, and multiple cerebral infarctions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 31, 2023 5:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 30, 2023 10:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 30, 2023 10:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 30, 2023 10:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 30, 2023 10:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 30, 2023 10:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 30, 2023 10:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 30, 2023 10:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 30, 2023 10:15 PM

Was he a good actor?

by Anonymousreply 9October 31, 2023 12:03 AM

OK actor. I remember him in the camp classic THE FEMALE ANIMAL, with Heddy Lamarr and Jane Powell (!) as her man-hungry daughter.

He also did a film in 1958 called NOWHERE TO GO where he played a prison escapee. The female lead is Maggie Smith in her first credited screen appearance.

by Anonymousreply 10October 31, 2023 12:19 AM

Hubba-hubba!

by Anonymousreply 11October 31, 2023 12:47 AM

Gorgeous, sexy, masculine. Damn, George Nader is a a bona fide hunk.

by Anonymousreply 12October 31, 2023 12:49 AM

Who topped?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 31, 2023 2:07 AM

He was also in the hilarious movie ROBOT MONSTER.

Here's George's makeout session being interrupted by the monster — a gorilla suit with a diving helmet attached.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 31, 2023 2:19 AM

R14 OP literally mentioned it.

R13 neither fucked. You can just be friends. George was in a serious relationship

by Anonymousreply 15October 31, 2023 2:27 AM

I forgot he wrote Chrome. I read that years ago.

by Anonymousreply 16October 31, 2023 6:00 AM

I would like to read it.

by Anonymousreply 17October 31, 2023 9:02 AM

He was a Henry Wilson product.

Good looking, meh actor and closeted homosexual.

By all accounts a nice man and a loyal friend to Rock Hudson.

I doubt they fucked (both tops) but I bet Rock nailed the boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 18October 31, 2023 12:53 PM

I thought Rock was a bottom

by Anonymousreply 19October 31, 2023 1:51 PM

I find it refreshing and not a little bit sad that it does not seem like George could afford a shirt.

by Anonymousreply 20October 31, 2023 1:56 PM

I could swear that when one of the Hollywood tabloids (Confidential?) threatened to out Hudson, Nader was offered up as an alternative as Hudson was a major star at that point and Nader wasn't.

But a Google search didn't come up with anything, so I guess is it's just another rumor.

by Anonymousreply 21October 31, 2023 2:03 PM

sweet and sexy

by Anonymousreply 22October 31, 2023 2:07 PM

He was fine as hell in that Season 1 episode of [italic]The Andy Griffith Show.[/italic]

But omg [italic]Laramie?[/italic] Episode Second season (I think)? George Nader AND Robert Fuller? Together? Fire. Only thing missing was John Smith and his tasty looking VPL.

Didn't he and DL fave Lizbeth Scott do a movie together? Only saw it once, when I was 7/8/9. I'll see if I can find it streaming somewhere. Can't imagine watching it through a different lens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 31, 2023 2:13 PM

[quote]Didn't he and DL fave Lizbeth Scott do a movie together?

I'm not sure that they ever appeared in the same film, but their names were often mentioned together in books about old gay Hollywood and "Confidential" magazine's outing scandals.

by Anonymousreply 24October 31, 2023 2:17 PM

No cock pics from the photographer's private collection? Back in those days if you wanted nude male pics you went to your magazine store and asked the guy and he'd have a few copies of something behind the counter that you could buy. European or blackmarket stuff.

by Anonymousreply 25October 31, 2023 2:57 PM

R25 wtf. Dude. Please.

by Anonymousreply 26October 31, 2023 3:27 PM

R18 clearly doesn’t know one had to be a closeted homosexual

by Anonymousreply 27October 31, 2023 3:27 PM

[quote]I could swear that when one of the Hollywood tabloids (Confidential?) threatened to out Hudson, Nader was offered up as an alternative as Hudson was a major star at that point and Nader wasn't.

I've found multiple references to this online, yet none have anything to back it up. And significant details change from one retelling to the other. (In some, this occurred in the mid-50s. In others, it's the mid-60s. The Confidential article was about Rock at a gay party. Or it was about a secret recording of Rock talking about having sex with men. Or that he and Nader were having an affair. And Agent Henry Willson is said to have made the deal — or maybe it was Universal Studios?) I can't find a copy of any Confidential article outing Nader, and I seriously doubt that an acceptable "deal" could be made that would substitute the star of Magnificent Obsession and All that Heaven Allows with that of Robot Monster. It's one of those stories that seems to have taken on a life of its own.

A similar tale has it that it was actor Rory Calhoun who was offered up to Confidential so they wouldn't publish their story about Rock. The dirt on Calhoun was not that he was gay, however, but that he had a criminal record and had served time. This story is better documented, as the Confidential article does exist and Calhoun even talked about it. "‘They [Confidential] found out about it and called me,’ he said. ‘They asked if I wanted to talk about it. I said, hell yes. It turned out to be an upbeat story, not an expose so much as a success story.’" Maybe because it reinforced Calhoun's 'bad boy' image, it doesn't seem to have had a huge effect on his career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 31, 2023 4:28 PM

William J. Mann's "Behind the Screen: How Gays and Lesbians Shaped Hollywood 1910 - 1969" contains the occasional interesting aside about Nader. There's eventually a three or four page section about the concerns publicists had that he'd be outed, and their anxiety about how to sell him as heterosexual.

Here's a quote:

[quote]After Movieland reported in July 1956 that Nader's "engagement" to Crayne had changed to "friendship," Universal mounted a clever, aggressive campaign to bolster his hetero credentials. The studio hoped to deflect any growing suspicion about his bachelorhood not by obscuring it but rather by calling attention to it.

It was unconvincing, however:

[quote]In May 1957, Screen Parade featured him in a "Wanted" poster, saying, "This man is dangerous! He may make a clever get-away!" In language as old as Hollywood itself, writer Chris Williams opined, "Perhaps there'll be a girl he hasn't as yet met who will knock down his defenses and have him running to the altar--or again maybe some moonlit night he'll look at Martha or Dani or one of the other lovelies he dates and think--this is it! And forthwith head to the preacher."

Universal then knew they weren't fooling anyone and quietly dropped his option. That's when Mann mentions Ray Stricklyn, a supporting actor in a few '50s films, whose career also died around the same time. Mann notes that neither Stricklyn nor Nader were box office draws, and unlike Hudson they weren't willing to play the PR game, which made them disposable as Hollywood grew more homophobic in the '50s and '60s than it had previously been.

by Anonymousreply 29October 31, 2023 4:50 PM

Rory Calhoun was no box office king but he was a bigger star than Nader (who had done schlock like "Robot Monster", after all) and a more plausible person to have been sacrificed for Hudson than Nader. Calhoun had a niche in Westerns, which were still big in the 50s. He did a lot of westerns, as well as detective dramas on tv after his fall from grace and that's probably the career he would have had anyway. He'd already been around with Selznick and 20th Century Fox. Universal wasn't much of a studio in those days and working for them after working for Selznick and 20th meant he was on his way out as a film actor. Hudson was the kind of rising newcomer they rarely had in those days.

by Anonymousreply 30October 31, 2023 5:22 PM

R15 Authority on gay men's sexuality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 31, 2023 5:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!