Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Matthew Perry: a jerk or a good guy?

We sympathize with him although we don't understand the origination of his pain. But objectifying Jenn Aniston's body in his book? Mean mean mean.

by Anonymousreply 53November 2, 2023 11:16 PM

I just took it as admiring her body. Guys like looking at women.

by Anonymousreply 1October 30, 2023 6:38 PM

Well someone on the Matthew Perry death thread (part 1) got very offended by it.

by Anonymousreply 2October 30, 2023 9:04 PM

I thought the Keanu remark was pretty shitty but Perry seemed ok overall. Although, he hung out with Shannen Doherty in his 20s and she’s an evil cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3October 30, 2023 9:14 PM

A jerk

by Anonymousreply 4October 30, 2023 10:22 PM

He seems to have maintained good relationships with people he worked with, even a long time ago. He texted Ione Skye a week before his death, and they worked together in 1988.

by Anonymousreply 5October 30, 2023 10:24 PM

He was a pretty big homophobe. Unashamed of it, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 30, 2023 10:25 PM

[quote]Although, he hung out with Shannen Doherty in his 20s and she’s an evil cunt.

Alyssa, stop. She has cancer you know.

by Anonymousreply 7October 30, 2023 10:38 PM

Doesn’t matter now

by Anonymousreply 8October 30, 2023 10:40 PM

He shat on Keanu. That did it for me. Keanu is an infinitely better person than he ever was.

by Anonymousreply 9October 30, 2023 10:41 PM

He shouldn't have written the book. He could've stayed a lovable fuck up but instead came off like a bitter grudge collector who had a creepy vibe with women

by Anonymousreply 10October 30, 2023 10:43 PM

[Quote]He shat on Keanu.

Pics?

by Anonymousreply 11October 30, 2023 10:44 PM

Closeted

by Anonymousreply 12October 30, 2023 10:52 PM

R6 That was pretty sweet of LeBlanc apologize.

by Anonymousreply 13October 30, 2023 11:01 PM

I don't know, Ross Matthews would grate on my last nerves if he was interviewing me, and I'm a queen too. I might sympathize with anyone being a jerk to Ross, although I think he's a bit better these days.

by Anonymousreply 14October 30, 2023 11:04 PM

Well, OP, I would dearly love to be pretty enough to be objectified--at least once in a while!

by Anonymousreply 15October 30, 2023 11:22 PM

He thought he created sarcasm, referred to it as Mattspeak

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 30, 2023 11:28 PM

I just listened to him in this. He sounded a little out of it and kind of an ass. He mentioned a few times about helping people and paused for the luke-warm applause that followed every time he said it. He seems to think he was a really big deal. I never watched "Friends" so I don't know but somehow I doubt it. I'll lean towards jerk, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 30, 2023 11:34 PM

I agree he shouldn't have written the book. The book tour interviews made him unlikeable.

by Anonymousreply 18October 30, 2023 11:46 PM

People like him are the reason people who Need pain medicine are having a hard time getting treated.

by Anonymousreply 19October 31, 2023 12:23 AM

R6 Mathews is annoying as hell so I don’t blame them

by Anonymousreply 20October 31, 2023 12:26 AM

Ross is okay in small doses.

by Anonymousreply 21October 31, 2023 12:33 AM

Are these the only two choices?

by Anonymousreply 22October 31, 2023 12:34 AM

Being rude to Ross Matthews makes you a homophobe?

by Anonymousreply 23October 31, 2023 12:39 AM

A very decent person with a terrible addition problem. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 24October 31, 2023 12:44 AM

A jerk or a good guy? He was an addict for fuck's sake. They're all angry, abrupt, inappropriate, disconnected from normal emotions, sad and angry and happy for no reason, . You can't judge them the same way you judge regular people, they're fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 25October 31, 2023 12:49 AM

[Quote]A very decent person with a terrible addition problem. Sad. - Susan Dey

Maybe Matthew was killed by a small foreign fraction.

by Anonymousreply 26October 31, 2023 2:42 AM

R6 How on earth does that make him a "pretty big homophobe" and "Unashamed of it, too?"

Ross Matthews is an annoying pig.

by Anonymousreply 27October 31, 2023 2:48 AM

Oh well, Matthew Perry died.

by Anonymousreply 28October 31, 2023 3:48 AM

He's a bitch, he's a lover. he's a child, he's a brother. he's a sinner, he's a saint.

by Anonymousreply 29October 31, 2023 6:18 PM

Who knows? None of us knew him. Anyone who thinks they did just because they saw him on TV is a damn fool.

by Anonymousreply 30October 31, 2023 6:38 PM

I didn't know him literally, but I feel I know him figuratively through viewing his work.

by Anonymousreply 31October 31, 2023 6:39 PM

[Quote]He's a bitch, he's a lover. he's a child, he's a brother. he's a sinner, he's a saint.

Did anybody touch his taint?

by Anonymousreply 32November 1, 2023 2:55 AM

I read most of his book and he came off as a bitter bitch toward women, his parents, his dentist. A jerk.

by Anonymousreply 33November 1, 2023 3:00 AM

[QUOTE] I read most of his book and he came off as a bitter bitch toward women, his parents, his dentist. A jerk.

And that would also describe 90% of DLers. Big deal.

by Anonymousreply 34November 1, 2023 5:31 PM

Well, OP asked. I’m just chiming in.

by Anonymousreply 35November 1, 2023 9:53 PM

Link to read his book for free?

by Anonymousreply 36November 2, 2023 12:18 PM

You take the good you take the bad

by Anonymousreply 37November 2, 2023 1:28 PM

Obviously I didn’t know him as well, but based on excerpts from his book he sounded bitchy and unlikeable. The Keanu Reeves comment alone is inexcusable, the sort of thing you shouldn’t say about anyone.

by Anonymousreply 38November 2, 2023 1:56 PM

Did he get much criticism for the Reeves comment and his bitchiness outside of Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 39November 2, 2023 2:24 PM

R39 yes he did. Keanu is beloved. Perry was not.

by Anonymousreply 40November 2, 2023 2:33 PM

Perry was not beloved, but Chandler Bing was. Which is why we're seeing the enormous outpouring of grief for Perry.

by Anonymousreply 41November 2, 2023 2:37 PM

He chose to be in the public eye but at the same time we all have our good and bad days, days where we don’t treat others kindly, etc. Amplify that with addiction and the press reporting on every move you make, most times getting it somewhat wrong. It’s a losing game.

Again he choose this life , but I don’t think it’s fair to judge it in a vacuum.

by Anonymousreply 42November 2, 2023 2:45 PM

Could he BE anymore of a jerk?

by Anonymousreply 43November 2, 2023 4:41 PM

Spending your last day meeting an Instagram girl half your age and playing Pickleball. Pretty empty life.

by Anonymousreply 44November 2, 2023 4:59 PM

vapid and shallow

by Anonymousreply 45November 2, 2023 5:07 PM

He’s a creep. I think he never emotionally matured and so the way he talks about women is like a boy in HS. Except he is 50 and society has evolved from 1980 so it’s cringey and at times offensive.

He’s an angry and bitter guy. He definitely wrote the book because it was awful and he came across terribly. He basically wished death on Keanu (twice) and trash talked tons of costars, doctors, rehabs, the Friends cast, his real life “friends”, his parents, etc. He talks like someone who has done a ton of therapy but never changed anything internally - mommy blaming, treating women like shit but blaming his “fear of intimacy”, etc.

by Anonymousreply 46November 2, 2023 5:13 PM

R42, agree about the bad days but the Keanu comment was not blurted out drunkenly in an interview talkshow. It was written down, revised, and seen fit for publication.

by Anonymousreply 47November 2, 2023 9:09 PM

What was his beef with Keanu? That he didn’t od and die like River? The kind of thought best left unwritten.

by Anonymousreply 48November 2, 2023 9:59 PM

Much of the book feels like Perry missed all cultural evolution over the past 30 years. Like he had no idea MeToo ever happened. Or that most women even work (a lot of his resentment towards his mom is for very mundane, first-world shit like taking a work call after taking a day off to hang out with him).

And he seemed to have no idea that Keanu went from jokey stoner shit actor to extremely popular and generous huge movie star. Or maybe Perry was jealous because Keanu has become such a huge well-loved star and Perry was just famous for Friends and his addictions. He never explains why but he bizarrely mentions Keanu by name twice so it was definitely targeted.

by Anonymousreply 49November 2, 2023 10:27 PM

Apart from the one about Keanu still being alive, what was the other thing he said about him? Thanks

by Anonymousreply 50November 2, 2023 10:43 PM

[R50] Perry uses the same Keanu slam twice at 2 different points in the book. Says Keanu should have died instead of River and then later says Chris Farley should have outlived Keanu.

by Anonymousreply 51November 2, 2023 10:59 PM

Completely agree with r46 and r49. I'd asked whether he received outside criticism at r139 because I half-wondered if he thought he'd be immune to commentary or critique. You know, "poor Matty, he's been through so much, if we say something negative it might be a stressor that leads to relapse." And it would provide him another opportunity to point his judgemental finger.

I haven't read the book, but the excerpts and commentary here make him sound like a resentful adolescent boy which fits the theory that social and emotional development become frozen when the addictive behavior begins. I guess he's had marshmallow therapists and AA sponsors. The latter appear to have failed to impart the taking responsibility for his own actions and behavior aspects of AA's 4th & 5th steps.

I gotta wonder if he and Jonah Hill share the same crappy therapist.

by Anonymousreply 52November 2, 2023 11:00 PM

Did he have a great ass, and didn’t live forever?

by Anonymousreply 53November 2, 2023 11:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!