Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rome is very dirty

Dirty assed city. Urban trash galore. Huge African hornets taking up residence killing people as a result.

by Anonymousreply 102November 20, 2023 3:23 AM

Huge African hornets? Is that a metaphor or something

by Anonymousreply 1October 29, 2023 4:44 PM

Not a metaphor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 29, 2023 4:48 PM

I guess they'll have to make screened-in terraces.

by Anonymousreply 3October 29, 2023 4:55 PM

[quote]“This year we have seen more Queen oriental hornets, who are mating with males perhaps from other colonies.

God, the queens are whores too. Awful species.

by Anonymousreply 4October 29, 2023 5:01 PM

There are lots of insects from that continent flooding there

by Anonymousreply 5October 29, 2023 5:02 PM

One more reason Europe is now a shithole

by Anonymousreply 6October 29, 2023 5:03 PM

They're called oriental hornets, OP. And yes, they can be frightful.

by Anonymousreply 7October 29, 2023 5:05 PM

I thought city services in Rome, eg. garbage removal, have been chronically underfunded.

by Anonymousreply 8October 29, 2023 5:07 PM

Rome is a very dirty city. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 9October 29, 2023 5:09 PM

I've heard that Naples and Palermo are even worse. And I will be going to all these places over the holidays...

by Anonymousreply 10October 29, 2023 5:09 PM

Italians in general have a trash problem, I'm from the neighbouring country and it's a shock to the system when you cross the border and see all the garbage everywhere on their highways. Filthy people.

by Anonymousreply 11October 29, 2023 5:10 PM

She’s a dirty, dirty girl.

This it ever was.

by Anonymousreply 12October 29, 2023 5:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 29, 2023 5:18 PM

They won’t even wash their bits!

by Anonymousreply 14October 29, 2023 5:22 PM

Isn't trash collection in Southern Italy (don't know about Rome) basically all mobbed up?

by Anonymousreply 15October 29, 2023 5:31 PM

Yes, R15.

by Anonymousreply 16October 29, 2023 5:32 PM

Italian bottoms are filthy

by Anonymousreply 17October 29, 2023 5:52 PM

According to the Encyclopedia of DL: Eyetalians’ holes are clean as a whistle, due to their Mediterranean diet.

by Anonymousreply 18October 29, 2023 5:56 PM

Don't Italians use bidets?

by Anonymousreply 19October 29, 2023 5:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 29, 2023 6:53 PM

Rome has always been filthy and vandalized with graffiti.

by Anonymousreply 21October 29, 2023 9:44 PM

[quote]God, the queens are whores too.

Just like on DL.

by Anonymousreply 22October 29, 2023 10:27 PM

[quote]Rome has always been filthy and vandalized with graffiti.

I lived there for six months in 1980, and returned for the first time in 2017. The graffiti was FAR worse then.

by Anonymousreply 23October 29, 2023 10:28 PM

Rome is not very amusing right now…you understand?

by Anonymousreply 24October 29, 2023 10:31 PM

R23, Italians love to etch their romances, grievances, and opinions in public places. Graffiti (more commonly associated with urban cities) is the result.

by Anonymousreply 25October 29, 2023 10:32 PM

Piles and mounds of trash everywhere

by Anonymousreply 26October 29, 2023 10:39 PM

R10, I hope you report back.

by Anonymousreply 27October 29, 2023 10:42 PM

R26, and that's just Donatella Versace!

by Anonymousreply 28October 29, 2023 10:43 PM

[quote] more commonly associated with urban cities

🤡

by Anonymousreply 29October 29, 2023 10:46 PM

R25 so Rome is not an urban city? Get me the copy desk for a re-write. WTF

by Anonymousreply 30October 29, 2023 11:13 PM

Is it cleaner in the countryside?

by Anonymousreply 31October 29, 2023 11:40 PM

I was just in Rome and Palermo last month and neither seemed particularly dirty to me.

by Anonymousreply 32October 29, 2023 11:54 PM

It seems that the parts of Rome popular with tourists are reasonably clean.

by Anonymousreply 33October 29, 2023 11:58 PM

Rome, Italy. Rome nasty...

by Anonymousreply 34October 30, 2023 12:01 AM

I loved Palermo. It wasn't dirty.

by Anonymousreply 35October 30, 2023 7:19 AM

OP prefers the soulless sterility of his native Flyoverstan.

by Anonymousreply 36October 30, 2023 7:27 AM

I was in Turin last year, it was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 37November 13, 2023 1:23 AM

Stealth “I was in _________ only last spring” thread.

by Anonymousreply 38November 13, 2023 2:16 AM

R2 “the pain was tremendous.”

by Anonymousreply 39November 13, 2023 2:17 AM

[quote] Rome is very dirty

Good thing that right-wing WHORE they elected to lead their country is more worried about the "dirty" gays, rather than the dirty streets.

Italians deserve her and they deserve their filth.

Fucking dumb cunts.

by Anonymousreply 40November 13, 2023 2:26 AM

“Graffiti” is an Italian word. They invented it.

by Anonymousreply 41November 13, 2023 2:31 AM

My company keeps on hiring these hornets from god knows where. Their English is suspect and they don’t understand sarcasm.

by Anonymousreply 42November 13, 2023 2:49 AM

That's nice, R41. Buildings covered in graffiti are still an eyesore.

by Anonymousreply 43November 13, 2023 3:02 AM

Sylvia Poggioli… Rome!

by Anonymousreply 44November 13, 2023 4:04 AM

Every major city in Europe has a certain smell. Athens was worse than Rome. Paris was a little better and London was too. This was 20 years ago so I'm sure it's worse everywhere. Even in my city there has been a horrific sewer scent, maybe homeless leaving their poopies outside.

by Anonymousreply 45November 13, 2023 4:16 AM

R42 “Why you say the words and laugh? In Old Country, we keep sad look!”

by Anonymousreply 46November 13, 2023 4:31 AM

I hear pussy is vile over there too

by Anonymousreply 47November 13, 2023 9:00 AM

Italian cinema really fell off in the last couple of decades.

by Anonymousreply 48November 13, 2023 10:08 AM

[quote]‘Excruciating’ hornet sting leaves Rome dinner party guest on crutches as plague spreads.

OMG, if only Stephen Sondheim had lived to see that headline as inspiration for his unfinished dinner-party musical.

by Anonymousreply 49November 13, 2023 11:17 AM

The main thing I remember about my only visit to Naples was that plethora of graffiti. I've never seen such coverage. It made the city look disgusting. Have they still not gotten control over that situation?

by Anonymousreply 50November 13, 2023 11:21 AM

I think Rome and Naples have had a problem with graffiti for a long time and it's not going away anytime soon. I imagine things are better in wealthier cities like Milan.

by Anonymousreply 51November 13, 2023 12:40 PM

R51 and you’d be wrong about that. It’s all over Milan. There’s graffiti in every city and town in Italy. They invented it!

by Anonymousreply 52November 13, 2023 12:57 PM

Well then, they really don't care about it. If they did, they'd crack down on graffiti "artists".

by Anonymousreply 53November 13, 2023 1:05 PM

Graffiti is art.

by Anonymousreply 54November 13, 2023 1:16 PM

Most beautiful art I've ever seen 🙄.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 13, 2023 1:20 PM

Graffiti is crap.

by Anonymousreply 56November 14, 2023 12:21 AM

So is a your cunt, OP!

by Anonymousreply 57November 14, 2023 4:44 AM

A dirty Rome is more bellissima than a spotless anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 58November 14, 2023 4:51 AM

and that's the way we like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 14, 2023 4:52 AM

Eh, VAFFANCULO Giuseppe/R57!

by Anonymousreply 60November 14, 2023 4:53 AM

Rome is chaotic. Rome can be dirty. Italians aren’t as friendly as you think. Romana can be racist. And being gay here feels like 1995 USA.

But

It’s Rome.

It’s beautiful.

And the men are gorgeous. Especially any policeman. The uniforms alone. Jesus fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 14, 2023 6:00 AM

Time for me to tap in. I lived in Rome for two and half years and I JUST moved to Florence about four months ago. The garbage in Rome can be out of control. It's one of the most annoying things about living there (besides the hills). It's annoying because it just makes NO sense. I do believe there is someone (the mob) benefiting from it being that way. In Italy in general the garbage cans are communal, not individual per building and separated - general, glass, plastic/metal, and bio. At first I wasn't used to it, but I grew to like it because it meant there was no garage in individual buildings piling up. The problem in Rome is that they don't always pick up the garbage on schedule from these spots and restaurants AND residents use them. So one day skipped can look like a war zone. As well Rome doesn't have enough trash cans in general. As a responsible citizen, I would want to throw something in the trash but I would have to walk two or three blocks to find a garbage can - and they aren't big enough to accommodate. So one person would give up and put their gelato cup on a ledge, and before you know it there are 20 gelato cups there.

The crazy thing is given how garbage piles up and how ancient and cavernous the city under the city is, there are very few if any rats. NOTHING compared to NYC where you see rats everywhere, in colonies. To be honest, I would put up with garbage everywhere over fear of rat infestations. When I lived in NYC I saw rats every single day. I can count on both hands the number of times I saw rats in two years in Rome. Oddly enough the seagulls feed on them, eat them whole. As aggressive and annoying as the seagulls can be I thanked them for their service.

It's a general consensus amongst Italians that Rome is the beginning of the breakdown of the country to the south. Further north, garbage isn't an issue. Further north the mob has less a a stranglehold over city services I would imagine. People tend to forget how far north Italy actually goes with parts basically German speaking. And that begins in Florence. Florence isn't filty in Centro or the outskirts. It is a well managed city. The garbage bins in the center part of town are underground, so they aren't an eyesore. They look like post office boxes that you open up and drop your garbage into. Florence is a very well run city AND the mayor is super cool, look him up, Dario Nardella. Actually I really love Florence.

The graffiti never bothered me. It is actually an Italian word that means "Scratches" and it's an ancient tradition that dates back thousands of years to Ancient Rome. And it can be everywhere in Rome. Although there is a respect that Italians are raised with where you won't see graffiti on ancient walls or buildings. I think it actually looks cool and adds a textured look juxtaposed next to something ancient - especially in parts like Trastevere. I think the only people who REALLY have a problem with it are people from small towns traveling here who are used to pristine IHOPs and Walmarts - who equate graffiti with urban decay. That's not the case here. And most people from large cities can appreciate it.

And I don't mind it because even Rome and Florence, Italy in general, are very much on top of the building upkeep, private and public. If you step back and take look, each city has a distinct color palette for the buildings that they strictly maintain. You might think things are lax, but when you look at it, there is a harmony to the overall beauty that is strictly guarded. You will not see a Red building or a Blue building really ever in Rome, or green, no vibrant colors. It's this color palette of buttery yellows, salmon colors, beige and white. When you realize this and how hard they work to maintain it, the graffiti isn't a thing - you understand it's not a loss of control but a part of the overall plan, look and feel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 14, 2023 7:06 AM

Was DL fave Olivia de Havilland in Rome to warn the school children about the oncoming swarm of bees?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 14, 2023 7:11 AM

Don't worry, OP. I'm on my way to Rome right now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 14, 2023 7:19 AM

And going back to the graffiti, the difference here is that it's not menacing. People may find it dirty, but the city is not dangerous. I'd trade "dirty" for dangerous any day. I can walk from one end of the city to another and never feel unsafe, no matter the time of day. I've never been accosted or threatened or felt unsafe - and that's even walking home through what look like sketchy areas at 1am in the morning. And you don't see it happening to other people. You get used to it and it's something that I continually have to remind myself of when I come back to America - you are not as safe as you think you are. I have to put my armour up as soon as I land.

by Anonymousreply 65November 14, 2023 7:25 AM

Agree with R62 and R65. Rome has a problem with trash, at times worse than others. It has lots of graffiti. And it remains a stunningly beautiful and amazing city. Trash and all, no city is so beautiful, can surprise so much, none other feels so much the center of the universe and that a lifetime there could only begin to scratch the surface.

by Anonymousreply 66November 14, 2023 8:25 AM

I like my cities a bit gritty and a little chaotic (just a little...not like India-level chaos). Zurich, Pyongyang, and Minsk are clean (from what I hear), but would I want to spend much time in those places? Certainly not.

by Anonymousreply 67November 14, 2023 10:30 AM

R10 WAHHH Over the holidays, I'm going to dirty Rome. WAHHH

by Anonymousreply 68November 14, 2023 11:37 AM

She's a little confused:

Froy / Zane 3 Froy froy froy

Froy / Zane 3 Friesland fucked Renfro

Rome is very dirty Dirty assed city. Urban trash galore. Huge African hornets taking up residence killing people as a result.

Rome is very dirty They won’t even wash their bits!

Rome is very dirty Piles and mounds of trash everywhere

Rome is very dirty I hear pussy is vile over there too

How to sound old in five words or less. Op in your case words aren’t necessary

Are some women really into anal? Open your eyes

Sex with guys at work/in their professional capacity Why did you rape me??

Four Los Angeles sheriff's officials found dead in apparent suicides R8 only in your brain dead mind

Four Los Angeles sheriff's officials found dead in apparent suicides R84 NOT FUNNY ASSHOLE!

Gays, REJOICE! An All-Black version of “The Golden Girls” is happening! Fuck em

How does it make you feel when you start a thread and no one responds? I really don’t give a shit because I forget about it after I post a thread most of the time.

Op are you the troll who starts Three’s Company (and the actors from the show) threads and replies to himself almost exclusively??

How does it make you feel when you start a thread and no one responds? R13 I am unpleasant at times but my question wasn’t.

How does it make you feel when you start a thread and no one responds? Bitch on outside

Nice on inside

How does it make you feel when you start a thread and no one responds? Dorothy, how do you feel?

Like a fool. Like a damned fool.

Lynda Carter - ENCORE This 1980 CBS Lynda Carter special has everything you could ever ask for. Beauty, talent and style courtesy of Lynda. Special guest stars included Tom Jones, Merle Haggard and a very spectacular tribute to KISS that must be seen to be believed. Watch it and try to absorb the essence of Lynda Carter, fool!

by Anonymousreply 69November 14, 2023 11:44 AM

When it comes to Rome you have to consider it’s been a major city for over 2500 years. At its height 2000 years ago it had a population of over 1 million people - so larger than most American cities today. It has been a major city ever since with a dip through the dark ages. So there is a sense that no matter what the world is going through, Rome will always be there. They are not too concerned with keeping up with the latest. They let other places figure that out and adopt what works. It may take a generation. But the one thing you do sense there is there is always time.

by Anonymousreply 70November 14, 2023 12:09 PM

[quote] This year we have seen more Queen oriental hornets, who are mating with males perhaps from other colonies

Careful, MAGATS may use this as an argument against mixed marriages…😏😏

by Anonymousreply 71November 14, 2023 12:13 PM

[quote]People may find it dirty, but the city is not dangerous. I'd trade "dirty" for dangerous any day. I can walk from one end of the city to another and never feel unsafe, no matter the time of day.

What about Tor Bella Monaca at 3 am, R65?

by Anonymousreply 72November 14, 2023 1:40 PM

I couldn’t tell you R72. I never went there.

by Anonymousreply 73November 14, 2023 1:48 PM

R72 I pretty much walked everywhere I need to go when I lived in Rome. And that covered a huge portion of the city all around - from Pigneto to Prati, from Garbetella up to the Maxi. Tor Bella Monaca is about 10 miles outside the city. I never went there.

by Anonymousreply 74November 14, 2023 1:56 PM

Lol, R74. Just having a bit of fun being a contrarian. I'm sure Rome is very safe.

by Anonymousreply 75November 14, 2023 2:09 PM

What R62 says. Veritas.

by Anonymousreply 76November 14, 2023 3:26 PM

[quote]So there is a sense that no matter what the world is going through, Rome will always be there. They are not too concerned with keeping up with the latest. They let other places figure that out and adopt what works. It may take a generation. But the one thing you do sense there is there is always time.

Rome's nickname is "the eternal city".

by Anonymousreply 77November 15, 2023 12:42 AM

This is a 5 hour walking tour of Rome.

It covers miles of the city. As you can see, Rome is cleaner and more orderly than US cities.

I have to laugh at Americans...you've got homeless everywhere, tents, druggies. Have you been to S.F. lately? Philadelphia? Have you seen the miles of tents in L.A.? And you are talking about Rome? Rome is glorious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 15, 2023 1:32 AM

A walking tour of Rome at night.

Splendid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 15, 2023 1:36 AM

[quote]Florence is a very well run city AND the mayor is super cool, look him up, Dario Nardella. Actually I really love Florence.

Nardella has been very good. I'd vote for him.

But man, some of the others before him in the Partito Democratico....Leonardo Domenici especially...ran the city into the ground. Florence was a mess. It is a completely different place now.

Unfortunately the center long ago lost that intellectual/aristocrat/working class vibe the city once had. BUT at least things have been restored, cleaned. Quaint traditional shops have been replaced with hundreds of luxury boutiques but the city does look good. Way too many tourists but that's the price you pay today with cheap airfares and social media. Florence is so "Instagram worthy".

by Anonymousreply 80November 15, 2023 2:23 AM

Philadelphia is a Rust Belt city, R78.

by Anonymousreply 81November 15, 2023 2:23 AM

Should read: "working class"

by Anonymousreply 82November 15, 2023 2:24 AM

R81 Oh, OK then let's compare Capitals.

Washington DC had 203 homicides in 2022.

203 Homicides in a city of a little over 700,000 people.

I don't have the figures for Rome, but in all of Italy in 2022 there were 319 homicides. In a country of 60 million.

You figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 83November 15, 2023 2:34 AM

Americans love their guns, R83. And in Washington D.C., there are a lot of very poor minorities in certain parts of the city --- gang members fighting, drug deals gone bad, people with big drug debts are executed, ie. the usual.

I'm assuming it's very hard for the average Italian to get a hand gun.

by Anonymousreply 84November 15, 2023 3:28 AM

Georgetown in Washington D.C. is safe and very nice. Just sayin'

by Anonymousreply 85November 15, 2023 3:30 AM

R62 - The reason you don't see any rats in Rome is because of the cats. There's a lot of stray cats in Rome. We saw a many back in 2001. I was only there for a night on my way back this year and I don't recall seeing any. I spent two weeks on the Amalfi Coast this summer. Garbage wasn't an issue.

You want to see graffiti? Go to Athens.

by Anonymousreply 86November 15, 2023 3:52 AM

^ My town in Italy has authorized cat colonies, registered and protected. The cat ladies care for them with food.

A cat in my town is a local star. Lives at a book shop but walks around town. Everyone knows her.

About Italy and cats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 15, 2023 4:01 AM

Thanks R87 - I meant to link to an article. I copied the link and then forgot.

by Anonymousreply 88November 15, 2023 4:09 AM

[quote] Nardella has been very good. I'd vote for him.

Here Nardella, mid-interview, stops a climate activist spray painting the side of the Palazzo Vecchio. He is in the brown leather jacket screaming “Che cazzo fai?!?” What the fuck are you doing?!?

Nardella just banned all new airbnbs in Florence as a first step to address residents cries for affordable housing. He might roleback current ones with regulations on short term stays.

My favorite is that he invited the Principle from Florida who got fired over the David Statue controversy to Florence and gave her a special recognition from the city.

“Mistaking art for pornography is simply ridiculous", Nardella wrote on Twitter, adding: "I will personally invite the teacher to Florence to give her a recognition on behalf of the city. Art is civilisation and whoever teaches it deserves respect."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89November 15, 2023 7:20 AM

[quote]“Mistaking art for pornography is simply ridiculous", Nardella wrote on Twitter, adding: "I will personally invite the teacher to Florence to give her a recognition on behalf of the city. Art is civilisation and whoever teaches it deserves respect."

Good for Nardella.

But this is what idiot Matteo Renzi did when the Iranian president visited Rome. Typical of the Italian left.

Renzi BTW was the mayor of Florence before Nardella.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90November 15, 2023 2:31 PM

Even governments are woke?

Jesus. This world.

They are statues of the human body. They are not racist. They are not anti religious. They are ancient beautiful sculptures of who we are.

The fact they were covered?

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 91November 16, 2023 5:23 AM

Agreed, R90. How fucking idiotic -- and self-hating. As some reasonable (and yet more than generous) measure of deference, they might have scheduled any photo ops for a more architectural, less figural backdrop. There are a few spaces and blank or simply columned walls in Rome that would do.

by Anonymousreply 92November 16, 2023 11:30 AM

[quote] Italians love to etch their romances, grievances, and opinions in public places. Graffiti (more commonly associated with urban cities) is the result.

It seems to be an ancient tradition - even emperors and their entourage left graffiti, such as on the Colossi of Memnon in Egypt when Hadrian visited way back in AD 130.

[quote]Every major city in Europe has a certain smell. Athens was worse than Rome. Paris was a little better and London was too. This was 20 years ago so I'm sure it's worse everywhere. Even in my city there has been a horrific sewer scent, maybe homeless leaving their poopies outside.

Don't go to third world countries. For example, I stayed in Taroudant in Morocco for about a week and it smelt like an open sewer every time I went outside. Meanwhile I don't notice any kind of smell in European countries so I'm surprised to hear this (admittedly, I may be used to it).

by Anonymousreply 93November 16, 2023 11:50 AM

Shanghai smells like sweet sulfurous shit.

by Anonymousreply 94November 16, 2023 11:57 AM

R10 Palermo is fine, she sends her love. But no, really. I've been going there for 40 years and it's much cleaner than it used to be. That doesn't mean all is well though. The most heartbreaking loss, for me, is that the sea has changed. It's pretty lifeless now.

by Anonymousreply 95November 16, 2023 12:40 PM

The old parts of Rome are beautiful even with graffiti but I didn’t like Naples as much. From my observation the tiny garbage trucks they use in the city can’t possibly keep up with all of the mess daily.

by Anonymousreply 96November 16, 2023 3:20 PM

[quote] I stayed in Taroudant in Morocco for about a week and it smelt like an open sewer every time I went outside. Meanwhile I don't notice any kind of smell in European countries so I'm surprised to hear this

That's because you're a racist, colonial cunt who LITERALLY thinks his shit doesn't stink.

by Anonymousreply 97November 16, 2023 3:50 PM

[quote]I've heard that Naples and Palermo are even worse.

Oh yeah, Palermo is just horrible! Mounds of garbage everywhere!

(Some of the comments here are so dumb. Do you ever leave your trailer park?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 16, 2023 3:58 PM

Don't worry. No matter how dirty Rome gets there are a ton of boys just like this to help clean up the place. They are all over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 19, 2023 6:21 PM

“Dirty assed city”?

Dirty assed city NASTY!

by Anonymousreply 100November 19, 2023 6:31 PM

I'd love to know where R100 lives.

by Anonymousreply 101November 19, 2023 10:53 PM

[quote]I'd love to know where R100 lives.

Camden, New Jersey

by Anonymousreply 102November 20, 2023 3:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!