Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Holdovers Thread

Limited release today and wide release on November 10th. Has anybody in NY or LA seen this yet?

by Anonymousreply 23December 11, 2023 10:57 PM

Well, this movie was a somewhat unexpected delight. It deserves to become a Christmas classic.

by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2023 6:47 PM

I finally saw it today. I knew I would love it after seeing the trailer but it was even better than I expected. Very funny, very warm. Probably my favorite film of the year.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2023 9:08 PM

I'm going to see it tomorrow. I never go to the movies anymore but I have a free pass.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2023 9:11 PM

Very enjoyable film. Loved the filters and scene transitions! You’d never guess it wasn’t released the same year as Dead Poets Society. I feel like it would be a great double-feature with Wonder Boys.

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2023 2:25 AM

It's a friend of mine's favorite movie so far this year.

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2023 3:13 AM

You can tell from the tedious trailer exactly what is going to happen, the two leads are hideous and so is the murky photography. I know the reviews are universally positive, but you couldn’t drag me. I wouldn’t even bother to watch it on TV.

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2023 3:37 AM

^Great. I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2023 3:45 AM

Enjoyable movie that unlike the endless Killers of the Flower Moon and the overrated Oppenheimer I would actually consider watching again. The New York Film Critics Circle named Da'Vine Joy Rudolph Best Supporting Actress. It's a sleeper and I suspect it will receive several Oscar nod s including Best Picture. I'm a fan of director Alexander Payne's other films: Election, Citizen Ruth, About Schmidt and Sideways.

by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2023 5:01 AM

It had good pacing and Paul G. is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 9December 2, 2023 12:16 PM

Sappy, but OK. Deserves a Hallmark channel debut. If this is Oscar-worthy, it just goes to show you pedestrian movies have become.

by Anonymousreply 10December 2, 2023 12:26 PM

Sorry -- how pedestrian.

by Anonymousreply 11December 2, 2023 12:27 PM

CODA winning Best Picture opened the floodgates for these pedestrian Hallmark movies winning awards, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 12December 2, 2023 12:48 PM

[Quote] CODA winning Best Picture opened the floodgates for these pedestrian Hallmark movies winning awards, unfortunately.

have you forgotten about Forrest Gump, A Beautiful Mind, Kramer vs Kramer, Rain Man, Titanic, Midnight Cowboy, Crash, The Shape of Water . . .

by Anonymousreply 13December 2, 2023 5:54 PM

R12 Yes, because Forrest Gump and Driving Miss Daisy were both such highbrow cinema.

by Anonymousreply 14December 2, 2023 6:22 PM

Best movie of the year for me. LOVED it.

by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2023 1:32 PM

I auditioned for a smallish role and noticed they hired an actor much higher up the food chain. I was a bit pissed, but I guess for a total nobody it's a pretty good sign.

by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2023 4:21 PM

This is the first film of 21-year-old Dominic Sessa from Cherry Hill, NJ. His performance is remarkable and like his 2 costars feels so genuine. The film follows a traditional pattern but the characters, situations, dialog and setting are persuasively rendered.

"The vibes are immaculate from the start and only grow more so as the characters gradually start to become as detailed as the world that The Holdovers constructs around them." -IndieWire

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2023 5:19 PM

It received 3 awards from the National Board of Review: Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress and Best Original Screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 18December 8, 2023 12:50 AM

I can't stand to watch anything with Paul Giamatti in it. I know he is suppoesed to be great but I find him unbearably annoying.

by Anonymousreply 19December 8, 2023 2:09 AM

Oh welI such a shame.

by Anonymousreply 20December 8, 2023 2:40 AM

It will be Oscar nominated for Best Picture, Best Supporting Actress and Original Screenplay. Giamatti and Dominic Sessa have a shot at Best Actor and Supporting Actor.

by Anonymousreply 21December 11, 2023 8:15 PM

Watched it with 3 friends last night on Prime as a rental. We all agreed it was very good.

by Anonymousreply 22December 11, 2023 8:21 PM

Frontrunners

"American Fiction"

"Anatomy of a Fall"

"Barbie"

"The Holdovers"

"Killers of the Flower Moon"

"Maestro"

"Oppenheimer"

"Past Lives"

"Poor Things"

"The Zone of Interest"

by Anonymousreply 23December 11, 2023 10:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!