Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I Read Britney Spears' Memoir So You Don't Have To

The book was much sadder than I anticipated. Even though I'm sure she used a ghostwriter, the book was written in simple terms, almost like a child wrote it.

She doesn't hold back from expressing her anger towards her family. However, I did feel like she left out a lot of details either for legal reasons or maybe because she didn't remember. She doesn't go into much detail about her sexualization at such a young age.

My favorite part of the book is that she throws shade at Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera, and Kevin Federline. What surprised me most was that Madonna and Paris Hilton were the only ones in her life who were kind to her during her breakdown.

Toward the end of the book, she speaks about her love for her husband Sam Asghari. That part obviously did not age well.

Overall, it was a sad read with not much hope towards the ending. Her family and the entertainment industry completely destroyed her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167November 26, 2023 1:25 AM

See I’m not so bad!

by Anonymousreply 1October 26, 2023 9:08 PM

"Madonna is like the great, great, great grandmother I never had."

by Anonymousreply 2October 26, 2023 9:11 PM

GRANDMAWMAW!!!! 💃

by Anonymousreply 3October 26, 2023 9:48 PM

[quote]I Read Britney Spears' Memoir So You Don't Have To

That's great because I Don't Want To.

by Anonymousreply 4October 26, 2023 9:50 PM

Britney can’t read yet wrote a book

by Anonymousreply 5October 26, 2023 9:58 PM

[quote] Even though I'm sure she used a ghostwriter

Ya think?!?!

by Anonymousreply 6October 26, 2023 10:00 PM

[quote]Overall, it was a sad read with not much hope towards the ending. Her family and the entertainment industry completely destroyed her.

MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 7October 26, 2023 10:04 PM

The book is boring as fuck. You get gems like the time she went to Walmart, her mom left her at dance recital to go to Walmart, and so on. She also incredibly disgusting for her to reveal her abortion. She has arrested development. She also referred to Christina Aguilera as “a girl called Christina Aguilera” and not in a comical way but a bitchy one. She’s a 42 year old woman writing like a mean girl in high school. This hillbilly pos ruined the music industry. Her introduction led to one pop tart after the next, dumbing down the industry.

by Anonymousreply 8October 26, 2023 10:06 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 26, 2023 10:07 PM

[quote]Even though I'm sure she used a ghostwriter

Oh well -- I didn't see where that link came from, oops.

But yes, Sam is her ghostwriter. He is gay and also a massive sweetheart in real life.

by Anonymousreply 10October 26, 2023 10:08 PM

[quote] The Woman in Me isn’t the first memoir he has written. In 2016, at only 28 years old, he released his own – and while his story may not be as high-profile as that of Spears, it is similarly filled with harrowing hardship. At 17, Lansky, a self-professed child of privilege in his final year at an elite prep school in New York City, was a straight-A student whose Ivy League aspirations were waylaid by a worsening drug addiction (prescription and otherwise), which in turn was compounded by a string of reckless affairs with older men and a partying lifestyle. After failing to get into Princeton, Lansky wound up at Vassar, where his dangerous behaviour continued to spiral.

Oh boo-hoo. No wonder it feels like it was written by a teenage girl. It was.

by Anonymousreply 11October 26, 2023 10:11 PM

Put a shirt on, Spears. You’re supposedly bearing your heart and soul, not your titties. At least try to be classy.

by Anonymousreply 12October 26, 2023 10:34 PM

Of course there’s a ghost writer or six. If Brit actually wrote it it would be 28 pages of words snd 156 pages of exclamation points.

by Anonymousreply 13October 26, 2023 10:40 PM

I think I'd rather hear Michelle Williams read it to me.

by Anonymousreply 14October 26, 2023 10:44 PM

The LA Times gave it a very positive review.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 26, 2023 10:49 PM

I doubt the release of this book will be a boon to her mental health.

by Anonymousreply 16October 26, 2023 10:49 PM

A ghostwriter? You mean he’s like dead?

by Anonymousreply 17October 26, 2023 11:00 PM

Is it packed up tens of thousands of emojis…in every single sentence?

by Anonymousreply 18October 26, 2023 11:15 PM

^packed *with

by Anonymousreply 19October 26, 2023 11:16 PM

Was Timberlake a tender lover?

by Anonymousreply 20October 26, 2023 11:20 PM

[quote]She also incredibly disgusting for her to reveal her abortion.

Wow, Dude.

by Anonymousreply 21October 26, 2023 11:22 PM

I have an hour left on the audiobook. It gets kinda boring around the time of her conservatorship and she kinda glosses over how badly she was acting out right before it. But overall very good listen. Michelle Williams does a great job reading it

by Anonymousreply 22October 26, 2023 11:29 PM

I cannot imagine how this pity party of a book could satisfy anyone beyond her deranged, obsessive fans and self-centered, narcissistic women who will find solace in knowing that a famous person's life is as mediocre and unfulfilling as their own - still, both Britney and them will fail to recognize that the one and only person to blame for this the hillbilly whore herself.

It's also funny how everyone is to blame for everything negative that has ever happened in her life but herself, she rapidly and superficially discusses the parts where she could actually be blamed for what happened, and then releases a litany of petty complaints about everyone who ever dared to not kiss her flat, fat behind.

Honestly, I will never understand how people endlessly twist themselves into knots to justify this bitchy, unpleasant, untalented and undeserving person's actions, and try to present her as some tragic heroine who, oh tragedy! Became extremely famous and wealthy with neither intelligence nor talent, wasted and misused many opportunities she was given out of sheer self-indulgence and now, is throwing a massive tantrum because things haven't happened exactly as she wished them to happen (for which she should be grateful, as this is the one and only reason why she's still alive).

She is an idiot and what is even worse, a navel-gazing one. Million of people go through much worse experiences and guess what? They still manage to move forward with their lives without endlessly whining about EVERYTHING and playing the Poor Little Rich Superstar card in order to shift the blame for their mistakes onto others.

by Anonymousreply 23October 26, 2023 11:51 PM

She became high on her own farts. When she started out you could tell she was humble and down to earth and as surprised as anyone at her incredible fame and fortune.

Then she became bitchy and entitled. I'm sort of enjoying her downfall.

by Anonymousreply 24October 26, 2023 11:57 PM

Just exactly how does this end? Are we given a guided tour of her colonoscopy?

by Anonymousreply 25October 27, 2023 12:17 AM

R23 = Jaime Lynn

by Anonymousreply 26October 27, 2023 12:43 AM

R20 The only thing she says about Timberlake is that he constantly cheated on her. She also portrays him as a goofy white boy who tries too hard to act “street” which I thought was accurate and hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 27October 27, 2023 12:50 AM

I felt the book focused too much on the conservatorship. It seemed like 90% of the book was about the conservatorship. We’ve heard about the conservatorship nonstop for like the past 3 years.

I was more interested in her early career and what it felt like to be the world’s most famous pop star at only 16 years old but she glosses over that part of her life pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 28October 27, 2023 12:53 AM

Thanks! I have a book report due on it tomorrow, and your post really helps me out a lot!

by Anonymousreply 29October 27, 2023 12:54 AM

r8 can barely write a cohesive sentence so not much interested in whatever it's going on and on about.

by Anonymousreply 30October 27, 2023 1:14 AM

A gay guy wrote this? That's probably the only reason why it's readable

by Anonymousreply 31October 27, 2023 1:17 AM

Did she explain why she always looks like she hasn't washed her face in days with the smeared eye makeup and why her hair looks so ratty?

Surely someone with her money could have a hairstylist come to the house and do her hair and perhaps schedule a Home Health Aide to come by regularly and help with hygiene.

by Anonymousreply 32October 27, 2023 1:19 AM

I’m listening to Michelle Willam’s read it. Like the poster above said, Michelle Williams does a great reading it, even if some of her pronunciations are a tad rigid.

Britney reads a very short forward.

My favorite part so far (I have about an hour left to listen to) is when she writes about her sister. At one point she takes a slight left turn and then proclaims, “…she’s a BITCH!”

I laughed out loud.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 33October 27, 2023 1:23 AM

The only think that could be a boon to her mental health would be a brain transplant.

by Anonymousreply 34October 27, 2023 1:49 AM

The ghost writer is a bit of a head case himself.

by Anonymousreply 35October 27, 2023 2:32 AM

Who did Brit lose her virginity to at 14?

by Anonymousreply 36October 27, 2023 2:41 AM

Just be thankful it's not scratch and sniff, kids.

by Anonymousreply 37October 27, 2023 2:46 AM

R36 An older guy who was friends with her brother. He was like 18-19 when she lost her virginity to him.

However, I have a difficult time believing that there wasn't sexual abuse prior to that. She stated that her grandfather was a child molester although she claimed he didn't touch her. She also slept in the same bed as her older brother until she was in middle school. She claimed that an older guy kissed her while at a sleepover as a kid but he didn't do anything else to her.

She also never explained why her mother got her drunk in Mississippi. That was bizarre and seemed like the mother had an agenda.

I still think she's holding back due to legal reasons or maybe she blocked a lot of traumatic events out.

by Anonymousreply 38October 27, 2023 2:48 AM

She bounced on that cock

by Anonymousreply 39October 27, 2023 3:02 AM

Mentally ill women tend to attract pedophiles/pedophiles tend to be attracted to mentally ill women, I've noticed.

Assuming her mental illness is genetic I'm not surprised her grandfather was a child molester as she probably inherited her illnesses from her grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 40October 27, 2023 4:06 AM

“My cooter is an insatiable bottom, y’all!”

by Anonymousreply 41October 27, 2023 7:11 AM

YOU WILL LISTEN TO ME

by Anonymousreply 42October 27, 2023 7:50 AM

pedophiles tend to be attracted to children, who grow up into mentally ill adults

Fixed it for you R40

by Anonymousreply 43October 27, 2023 8:21 AM

Pedophiles are attracted to vulnerable women with young children, adolescents, or teens. The mentally ill, single mothers in tough economic circumstances, women with developmental/intellectual deficits are all game. It's a preternatural ability to target, manipulate, and exploit.

by Anonymousreply 44October 27, 2023 1:53 PM

This is why you don't put your kids in showbiz. She'd have been better off growing up as a regular girl. She could have grown up to be the cute wife of the High School Football coach in small town Mississippi. Fat and happy with a bunch of kids. Poor little redneck had no business being in the big time.

by Anonymousreply 45October 27, 2023 2:13 PM

Or in a state like Louisiana ranked near the bottom of states for healthcare services, she might be homeless mentally ill. Bobby Jindal turned down Affordable Care Act money to expand Medicaid and people like Britney, except for all her money, suffer for it..

by Anonymousreply 46October 27, 2023 2:25 PM

I liked the other 2 books Sam Lansky wrote.

by Anonymousreply 47October 27, 2023 2:28 PM

That’s an old picture on the cover.

by Anonymousreply 48October 27, 2023 3:09 PM

r45, are you kidding? She would have been a stripper with a tragic ending.

by Anonymousreply 49October 27, 2023 3:49 PM

She always just seemed like a blow up doll to me. Can’t stand her.

by Anonymousreply 50October 27, 2023 3:59 PM

She would have been the face of TrimSpa!

by Anonymousreply 51October 27, 2023 3:59 PM

R51 But who would make her make-me-beautiful duet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 27, 2023 4:58 PM

“I love that Britaney Spurs….”

by Anonymousreply 53October 27, 2023 10:45 PM

The ghost writer should fuck off this site. Nobody cares.

by Anonymousreply 54October 27, 2023 10:55 PM

Reading between the lines, this is a hashtagmetoo victim (just like someone else mentioned).

However, like most victims Spears is keeping the details quiet.

by Anonymousreply 55October 27, 2023 11:02 PM

The mouse will kill her if she tells!

by Anonymousreply 56October 27, 2023 11:27 PM

But seriously it seems like there were clues in the way the part about him was written that we were supposed to know that it was Clive Calder.

by Anonymousreply 57October 27, 2023 11:30 PM

R57 I agree and I also felt like there were clues that something could’ve happened involving Max Martin. She claimed they went to dinner together when she was 16 without a chaperone and then they left the restaurant together. She never said what happened afterwards.

Her memoir left me with more questions than answers.

by Anonymousreply 58October 27, 2023 11:38 PM

[quote]I’m listening to Michelle Willam’s read it. Like the poster above said, Michelle Williams does a great reading it, even if some of her pronunciations are a tad rigid.

Seems like Brit should be the one reading it. I suppose she probably can't read well enough to do it - and I don't mean that as snarky as it seems. I really question whether she has either the intellectual capacity or reading skills to read, let alone record an audiobook.

by Anonymousreply 59October 27, 2023 11:54 PM

[quote]I really question whether she has either the intellectual capacity or reading skills to read, let alone record an audiobook.

Normally, I want the person the book is about to read the book too.

I think in this case, whether Britney can read properly enough to actually do the job, Michelle elevates the material as if to say, "Now you should take this seriously."

by Anonymousreply 60October 28, 2023 12:00 AM

Celebrities always do their own audiobooks. Britney was incapable of doing it herself or she would have done.

by Anonymousreply 61October 28, 2023 3:59 AM

I used an Audible credit for it and am on chapter 7. Michelle Williams is superb. Brittney could barely get through the 10 second intro/dedication.

He voice also sounds like shit. She admits she started smoking and drinking (with her mother) at age 12 and 13. And made out with a 17 year old when she was 13, lost her virginity at 14 to an 18 year old. Her paternal grandmother was mentally ill and committed suicide so I don’t think Brittney would have fared very well if she stayed a small town girl.

by Anonymousreply 62October 28, 2023 4:09 AM

This is like a replay of Anna Nicole’s reality show. We were actually watching her die before our eyes.

by Anonymousreply 63October 28, 2023 4:15 AM

Britney's simply not capable of patiently sitting through the hours of reading the book. She might have had difficulty with some passages and maybe gotten through with coaching, but there's slim chance she could have gotten through the entire book. It's simply not in the cards for someone bipolar and then some like Britney.

by Anonymousreply 64October 28, 2023 7:47 AM

God, I couldn't possibly care less.

I think the only pop star bio that MIGHT interest me is Gaga. You know she's freaky.

That said, did Britney's sell well?

by Anonymousreply 65October 28, 2023 8:34 AM

Anyone who thought she actually wrote any of this is delusional and painfully stupid. Based on what we see in her innumerable Instagram videos, it is clear Britney has been lobotomized and is only capable of manically dancing in front of a camera dressed like a Russian hooker.

by Anonymousreply 66October 28, 2023 8:35 AM

Britney’s default emotions these days seem to be bitterness and anger so I don’t think she’s totally brain dead.

I saw a pretty creepy video on TikTok yesterday. It was basically a team of managers (?) and Britney’s dad discussing her and her upcoming schedule (“yeah, she can work on her birthday”). I always thought her dad was just kind of thrust into the role of being her conservator and was just doing the best he could to keep her out of crisis and danger. That video made him look like he was in fact, using her like a cash cow. The person who posted the video said that she had so little control over her own life that she couldn’t even choose what she wanted to eat for dinner. If she wanted sushi two nights in a row or whatever, she’d have to ask. If she was told no she’d get angry and then she would be threatened about being able to see her kids or whatever else they had to hang over her head. I have no idea where the video came from but I’ll find it and post it in case anyone wants to see it.

I think Britney was in serious trouble and needed help and management, but I also think it’s true she has been treated really really badly. I think it’s tragic that I guess she just isn’t stable enough to really take control of her life in a meaningful way so she just stews in her resentment and makes stupid dance videos for Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 67October 28, 2023 10:20 AM

I guess the clip is from that doc on her that came out during the Free Britney campaign. I’m not really sure, but it’s pretty awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 28, 2023 10:24 AM

I’d be far more interested in reading the autobiography of her recent ex…

by Anonymousreply 69October 28, 2023 10:25 AM

Nothing ever happened when I worked with Max. Americans are whack.

by Anonymousreply 70October 28, 2023 10:27 AM

This is The Diary of Anne Frank for the new generation.

by Anonymousreply 71October 28, 2023 11:47 AM

[quote]She also incredibly disgusting for her to reveal her abortion.

Why?

Are you one of those religious freaks?

by Anonymousreply 72October 28, 2023 1:11 PM

[quote]This hillbilly pos ruined the music industry. Her introduction led to one pop tart after the next, dumbing down the industry.

Watch your step, R8, or I'll date you.

by Anonymousreply 73October 28, 2023 1:56 PM

R9 gee, thanks Sam.

by Anonymousreply 74October 28, 2023 2:21 PM

I’m surprised to say I find I agree with R23…I expected to sympathize with her at least a little bit but somehow this book ended up making me annoyed with her.

by Anonymousreply 75October 28, 2023 4:40 PM

“Her family and the entertainment industry completely destroyed her.”

Oh, please. This cunt is a crazy junkie bitch.

by Anonymousreply 76October 28, 2023 4:48 PM

Of course, we have the "phantom pedos" make an appearance. You fantasize they raped Britney when the fact is that she was already giving up her itchy cooter at 14. The "pedo" then was a friend of her brother's, also a teenager.

I don't have a problem with an 18 year old fucking a sexually active 14 year old. Teens have sex, get over it.

by Anonymousreply 77October 28, 2023 5:42 PM

R77 is a PEDO!!!!

by Anonymousreply 78October 28, 2023 5:44 PM

Completely destroyed her to a net worth of $60-70M

by Anonymousreply 79October 28, 2023 6:51 PM

[quote] The LA Times gave it a very positive review.

Of course they did. These papers want to drum up the Me Tpo movement and they give the reviews to their Millennial gays and girl staff to write. They don’t want to be crucified by her fans. Reviews are meaningless now.

by Anonymousreply 80October 28, 2023 7:12 PM

She is so creepy about her brother in the book, always sleeping with him, talking about caring for him, all this garbage. She’s southern. I was waiting to her to say that they fucked. It’s so OTT.

by Anonymousreply 81October 28, 2023 7:14 PM

Didn’t Rolling Stone say that she got breast implants at 17?

by Anonymousreply 82October 28, 2023 7:14 PM

She’s buck naked on Instagram again. Someone tell this hag that she doesn’t have a nice body already. It’s like poking at Lizzo.

by Anonymousreply 83October 28, 2023 7:16 PM

People are trashing the book because she didn’t put Hollywood child traffickers. I wish I was joking.

by Anonymousreply 84October 28, 2023 7:16 PM

R81 when my cooter itched, he scratched it, Y’all

that’s what big brothers is for!

by Anonymousreply 85October 28, 2023 7:22 PM

People keep saying that Michelle Williams does a great job reading it, but how, exactly? Does she do a southern accent? Is there a lot of dialogue that she reads like it's an Erskine Caldwell novel? Does she try to sound dumb so she'll sound more like Britney?

by Anonymousreply 86October 28, 2023 7:50 PM

R86 think Mayella Ewell

by Anonymousreply 87October 28, 2023 7:51 PM

I smell a spoken word Grammy for Michelle

by Anonymousreply 88October 28, 2023 7:51 PM

Yes, r86. She’s got the accent down perfectly and manages to convey emotion reading this drivel out loud. It’s quite stunning actually.

by Anonymousreply 89October 28, 2023 9:35 PM

The only reason Brit has that $60-70 million fortune now is because her father took care of her and shepherded her through her breakdown and then built her fortune back up again. Britney is a stupid person and she's mentally ill on top of that. She had completely burned through almost everything she'd made under her mother's "care" and on her own. Without Jamie she'd be back in a trailer park in Louisiana if she got lucky and dead if she didn't get lucky.

by Anonymousreply 90October 29, 2023 6:08 PM

Funny how history repeats itself

by Anonymousreply 91October 29, 2023 6:13 PM

Has anyone here actually read this? I can’t think of anything more painful than trying to read an entire book of her deranged ramblings.

by Anonymousreply 92October 29, 2023 6:44 PM

R92 listen to the audiobook. Michelle elevated this garbage to another level.

by Anonymousreply 93October 29, 2023 6:57 PM

r92 I haven't read it but would. Its like any other pop diva memoir IMO.

And as a millennial I would just read just for her to recount the late 90s and early 2000s, and her interactions with other stars at the time. Who else is going to call out Timberfake for blaccent around Ginuwine? And confirm that Colin Ferrell's dick was as good as we've heard it was?

by Anonymousreply 94October 29, 2023 7:07 PM

R11, for God’s sake, the ghostwriter is a Vassar gal!

by Anonymousreply 95October 29, 2023 7:44 PM

I’m almost finished with the audiobook version, and I HIGHLY recommend it. I’m not a fan of Britney Spears, and I thought she was better off under the conservatorship. However, since we’re around the same age I’ve been forced to track her rises and falls my entire adult life.

Michelle Williams does a phenomenal job—and it’s funny hearing her read about Britney’s admiration of Paula Cole (who sung the theme song for Dawson’s Creek).

My favorite revelations so far:

- Britney and Natalie Portman are longtime friends

- Britney refers to Jamie Lynn as “a total bitch”

- The conservatorship sounds like modern day slavery, minus physical torture

Unfortunately, while the story so far has changed my opinion of Britney as an artist, I still don’t believe she wrote anything other than the forward and prologue. The book is full of quotes from writers and philosophers, and the observations are a little too astute.

by Anonymousreply 96October 30, 2023 1:19 PM

[quote]People keep saying that Michelle Williams does a great job reading it, but how, exactly?

In a steady and confident mid-Atlantic accent, Michelle instinctively adds heartfelt emotion, vitriol, joy, and humor to every sentence.

Britney reads the forward and prologue, which provides a stark warning of what could’ve been. Her baby doll voice is like nails on a chalkboard, while Michelle’s soothing delivery grabs the listener and never lets go. To her credit, she never comes across as dismissive or mocking…she reads every word as if it’s Shakespeare or Arthur Miller.

by Anonymousreply 97October 30, 2023 1:32 PM

[quote] Britney and Natalie Portman are longtime friends

Staring at this - did boxes bump?

by Anonymousreply 98October 30, 2023 1:46 PM

I dunno LL, but I swear that ketchup bottle just moved.

by Anonymousreply 99October 30, 2023 1:47 PM

I’m actually curious now. I wonder how this book would be doing sales and buzz wise if Michelle hadn’t done the audio version. It seems like that is what everyone is talking about the most. Other than the Justin shit.

I have sympathy for Britney and then she posts another creepy dance video and it’s gone. She looks utterly possessed. Or strung out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100October 30, 2023 1:54 PM

[quote] I swear that ketchup bottle just moved.

Seek a neurologist (or call Tarkovsky).

by Anonymousreply 101October 30, 2023 2:03 PM

R98: They been friends since they were child actresses appearing on Broadway. They met well before either one was sexually active.

R100: I kind of think Michelle Williams deserves a bonus the way she likely boosted sales. The Timberlake impression has garnered tens of millions of views on Twitter. She’s a 5-time Oscar nominee, which has given a lot of people permission to read a book that could easily be written off as “trashy.” (Even though it’s surprisingly not)

by Anonymousreply 102October 30, 2023 2:12 PM

[quote] They met well before either one was sexually active.

What does this have to do with anything?

by Anonymousreply 103October 30, 2023 2:18 PM

[quote] She stated that her grandfather was a child molester although she claimed he didn't touch her. She also slept in the same bed as her older brother until she was in middle school. She claimed that an older guy kissed her while at a sleepover as a kid but he didn't do anything else to her. She also never explained why her mother got her drunk in Mississippi. That was bizarre and seemed like the mother had an agenda.

Southerners are so weird. All that was missing from the above paragraph was the bag of Cheetos she was eating while all of this happened.

by Anonymousreply 104October 30, 2023 2:23 PM

Not always r61, Ricky Martin, Keith Richards, and Andre Agassi didn’t read their audiobooks.

by Anonymousreply 105October 30, 2023 2:31 PM

[quote] while the story so far has changed my opinion of Britney as an artist

What artist?

by Anonymousreply 106October 30, 2023 2:32 PM

r194. And smokes. Always the smokes.

by Anonymousreply 107October 30, 2023 4:42 PM

R107, I'm actually surprised she admitted she lost her virginity at 14. She was so insistent for so long that she lost it with Timberlake.

by Anonymousreply 108October 30, 2023 5:39 PM

Her dad may have helped her save and make money, but the way he did it was abusive and cruel. I was pro conservatorship before I read the book, but the man is a monster.

by Anonymousreply 109October 30, 2023 6:30 PM

Yes, it reads like a 16 year old's diary. However, it is quite sad. Her father should be in jail for what he did to her.

It's unfortunate she wasn't strong enough to rise above it and just be like... I'm Brtiney fuckin Spears bitch and I ain't doing any of this shit. She had that power but was too meek to wield it.

by Anonymousreply 110October 30, 2023 7:30 PM

Meek and dumb, r110.

by Anonymousreply 111October 30, 2023 11:08 PM

R110 Right? Seeing those kids wouldn’t have been able to be used to keep me in captivity! Give ‘em to the state. IDGAF!

by Anonymousreply 112October 30, 2023 11:39 PM

Unfortunately, knowledge of current events makes the book seem unfinished. She refers to her marriage to Sam in present tense, and she insinuates her relationship with her children is as close as ever.

by Anonymousreply 113October 31, 2023 2:14 PM

I crawled so you could fly..

by Anonymousreply 114October 31, 2023 3:38 PM

There was a livestream on TikTok from someone who was playing the audio version by Michelle Williams. So great because I got to hear what the fuss was all about without buying the book.

Michelle deserves all the praise and more. The way she narrates gives the book such seriousness that there is no way it would have otherwise. Not because the ghost writer didn’t do a good job—he or she definitely did—but there’s something about the tone. She reads it like a tragedy (which Britney’s life arguably is) but there’s a darkness to it from the early pre-fame years too. I heard about 3 chapters from age 10 to 13. Ooof, really sad. When she talks about her little sister you want to cry.

by Anonymousreply 115November 2, 2023 1:04 PM

r115, the nonchalant way she read the part about Justin trying to sound "hood" was hilarious. I laughed for a good minute or two. Maybe Michelle Williams has a future as a voice actress.

by Anonymousreply 116November 2, 2023 1:10 PM

I didn’t get that far r116! I really wanted to hear it, but I started listening too early in the book and fell asleep.

by Anonymousreply 117November 2, 2023 1:11 PM

I read Cloris Leachman’s memoir so you don’t have to. Insufferable. Except for the part about her junkie son who died. Most touching and concise description of what it’s like to love an addict that I have ever read.

by Anonymousreply 118November 3, 2023 4:20 AM

r62: "so I don’t think Brittney would have fared very well if she stayed a small town girl."

Yes. I would be like a crazy woman dancing manically with knives if I had stayed in Hooterville.

by Anonymousreply 119November 13, 2023 11:45 PM

I finished listening to the book for free on Spotify! It's a crisp and efficient read, especially with every event reduced to its most basic fact ("I accidentally got married in Vegas when I was bombed") and then summarily excused as either "a joke" or "because paparazzi".

by Anonymousreply 120November 13, 2023 11:53 PM

R2 Please tell me she didn’t say that. You are exaggerating right. Please. For all that is proper in the universe.

by Anonymousreply 121November 13, 2023 11:54 PM

This memoir sounds basic and dumb—just like Britney

by Anonymousreply 122November 14, 2023 12:16 AM

Thank you op way to take one for the team

by Anonymousreply 123November 14, 2023 12:26 AM

those poor kids.

by Anonymousreply 124November 14, 2023 12:28 AM

She’s not likeable anymore. Being free was the worst thing for her image. She’s a dumb redneck jerk.

by Anonymousreply 125November 14, 2023 1:39 AM

R125, you are right but what she is, is a dumb victim and the world is a a sucker for weak blonde victims.

by Anonymousreply 126November 14, 2023 1:48 AM

Op read so we could snark.

by Anonymousreply 127November 14, 2023 3:24 AM

Britney Spears: Writes a memoir detailing intimate details of her private life.

Also Britney Spears:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128November 14, 2023 7:03 AM

[quote]I think the only pop star bio that MIGHT interest me is Gaga. You know she's freaky.

You do realize that "Lady Gaga" is a character that Stefani Germanotta created when her music career didn't take off as herself. Stefani grew up as upper middle class with two loving parents she's still close to. If she has any story to tell in a book is how she created the character.

by Anonymousreply 129November 14, 2023 9:07 AM

R129, right, I don't think she's interesting. Shew as only interesting in her peak years (2009-2011). After that, she kind of exposed herself as being a bore.

by Anonymousreply 130November 14, 2023 11:58 AM

[quote]you are right but what she is, is a dumb victim

Compare her to the other Mickey Mouse kids who had better parents like Ryan Gosling, Keri Russell, JC Chasez, Christina Aguilera and even Justin Timberlake himself. She was going to have a tough go at it from the start.

[quote]You do realize that "Lady Gaga" is a character that Stefani Germanotta created when her music career didn't take off as herself.

Not even that, Gaga was arguably created by Laurieann Gibson and Wendy Starland. When she and Laurieann split ways, her absence was obvious.

by Anonymousreply 131November 15, 2023 12:00 PM

Lady Gaga's early music success was due almost entirely to Red One. Once he left the picture, her music got way more boring.

by Anonymousreply 132November 15, 2023 12:13 PM

Gaga stole her image and identity from her old roommate and fellow artist in NY named Lina Morgana. Lina died under mysterious circumstances and Gaga actually went to court over it, though we’ll never know what actually happened since the court documents are sealed. Perhaps Gaga’s Republican mafia father disposed of Lina. Has Gaga ever done one thing (especially in her early career) that hadn’t been done by someone else before?

by Anonymousreply 133November 15, 2023 12:55 PM

R133 wow I never heard of such chisme.

Don’t lie on Gaga again bitch.

by Anonymousreply 134November 15, 2023 2:52 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135November 15, 2023 2:58 PM

Britney’s success occurred during an era in the music industry where the focus was on finding the next flash-in-the-pan, rather than building long-term careers. She worked non-stop from her late teens through early 20s. While presented to the world as someone with control over her career, she started as a child and was not well-versed in business or legal considerations. Having input on costumes and creative direction in performances is not the same thing as having control over career decisions.

Throughout the book, Britney (via her ghostwriter) describes other women who are “good” at being famous, citing as examples Great Grandma Madonna and Great Aunt J-Lo. She admired the way these women protected personal boundaries and took care of themselves while also balancing their public lives. The connection that isn’t made is that these women were adults who pursued their careers and broke out in their twenties, not kids pushed by adults to pursue celebrity.

I think Britney is really angry, and she has every right to be. Her issue with the conservatorship is that she didn’t know her rights going in (i.e., she could hire her own lawyer), the people appointed as her conservators were in a position to make money for themselves by making her work, the 13-year duration of the conservatorship, and the fact that her father had a history of bankruptcy, failed businesses, and substance abuse problems.

While it does feel like Britney glosses over the public behavior that led to the conservatorship, her family is extremely shady and have proven this by their own public behavior over the years. She allows she was suffering from serious mental health problems, especially after having two babies a year apart. I believe her when she says those around her did not look for ways to support her but expose her: i.e., capture her acting erratically in public, so that they could justify tying her up via conservatorship.

I wish her well and hope it proves helpful to have her version of events in public. Hopefully she can find some peace and happiness.

by Anonymousreply 136November 15, 2023 3:03 PM

Good analysis^

by Anonymousreply 137November 15, 2023 3:10 PM

Why is Britney referring to these women as her great great. Does this bitch not realize she was born in the early 80s. JLo is basically her peer when it comes to their mark on the entertainment industry. I’m starting to think Britney, as nice and mentally ill as she is, is just low iq which makes her problems manifest even worse.

by Anonymousreply 138November 15, 2023 3:10 PM

Britney didn’t Teacake/R138, I was making a joke based on some responses upthread about Madonna being Britney’s extreme elder.

In the book, Britney is only complementary about both women. She doesn’t seem to fully grasp that they were adults when they became famous, having wanted and worked for celebrity, which was not her situation.

by Anonymousreply 139November 15, 2023 3:27 PM

Plus by her own admission Brit Brit was a people pleaser and J Lo and Madonna arent

by Anonymousreply 140November 15, 2023 3:29 PM

She certainly pleased me, heh heh heh

by Anonymousreply 141November 18, 2023 12:39 AM

I have to say, of all the people that I expected to be name checked in this book, Paula Cole was NOT one of them.

by Anonymousreply 142November 18, 2023 1:32 AM

I am truly baffled by any interest in this book. Minimal talent in a sadly screwed up woman. What’s the draw?

by Anonymousreply 143November 18, 2023 1:37 AM

I am baffled by the interest in this woman, R143

by Anonymousreply 144November 18, 2023 3:28 AM

R142, behold this masterpiece (I lasted three seconds).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145November 19, 2023 2:20 PM

The best article I’ve read about her book:

“It is precisely halfway through the book when Spears writes about her drug use. If The Woman in Me were a novel, this would be the part where the protagonist becomes what’s called an “unreliable narrator.””

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146November 22, 2023 12:25 AM

Pretty good article. Someone calling out the obvious signs this woman has mental health issues, and *has* had them for a long time. And in fact, the conservatorship may have possibly extended her life.

by Anonymousreply 147November 22, 2023 2:54 AM

[quote] “It is precisely halfway through the book when Spears writes about her drug use. If The Woman in Me were a novel, this would be the part where the protagonist becomes what’s called an “unreliable narrator.””

What does she say?

"I experimented with pot, but decided that it wasn't for me."

by Anonymousreply 148November 22, 2023 3:04 AM

No, r148 she admits (and i'm sure this is a minimal admittance) to using Adderall (sp?) and having hallucinations, etc. You know that bitch tried it ALL. She's not a picky sort of girl. She likes to par-TAY.

by Anonymousreply 149November 22, 2023 4:16 AM

Exactly why I avoided reading this…among many other reasons. She is a liar who blames everyone else for her shitty choices. She did have shitty parents, but would she be where she is without them?

by Anonymousreply 150November 22, 2023 1:03 PM

Did Britney try to be edgy and say she experimented with Lesbianism at some point?

by Anonymousreply 151November 22, 2023 1:07 PM

I got this from the library. Despite being obviously ghostwritten I do think this was very much Britney's words. The sentence structure is very simple.

I have never been a fan, but I had some sympathy for her, though I think she's not very responsible for her actions as an adult. I don't think a conservatorship was necessary - not a lengthy one, anyway. And I can see why she hates her family.

by Anonymousreply 152November 22, 2023 1:38 PM

I’m not reading a book about a retard

by Anonymousreply 153November 22, 2023 2:04 PM

[quote] I’m not reading a book about a retard

So, I assume, you'll never write your autobiography as you'd have to proofread it?

by Anonymousreply 154November 22, 2023 9:47 PM

Has this woman ever said one intelligent, interesting or even funny thing? There’s no there, there. She is not compelling at all.

by Anonymousreply 155November 22, 2023 10:50 PM

She’s aged so terribly. Stress and mental illness will do that to a person. Somewhere along the line she got some weird surgery on the corner’s of her mouth as well as another unneeded nose job. But the mouth thing, it kind of gives her a jokerish smile. Before and after in pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156November 23, 2023 7:31 PM

I loved Britney’s original nose. It was so cute. Now it is too sculpted

by Anonymousreply 157November 23, 2023 11:06 PM

Her old nose looked better. Foolish cunt.

by Anonymousreply 158November 23, 2023 11:09 PM

STFU FAGGOT CUNT

by Anonymousreply 159November 23, 2023 11:44 PM

I know someone who has had so much work done, one side of her mouth doesn't move properly. No real facial expressions, either. Britney got off lightly and us still looking better than her ugly sister.

by Anonymousreply 160November 24, 2023 5:47 AM

R159 Who the fuck do you think you are talking 2? In person I would split your shit in 2.

by Anonymousreply 161November 25, 2023 7:42 PM

In person I think you’re a decrepit old faggot hanging on by your near last crack pipe, faggot ^

by Anonymousreply 162November 25, 2023 9:36 PM

R162. Own it ho. Own your jealousy. Own every aspect of the envy. I’m gone.

by Anonymousreply 163November 25, 2023 9:48 PM

Get gone!

by Anonymousreply 164November 25, 2023 9:51 PM

R162, are you responding to r161?

by Anonymousreply 165November 25, 2023 11:06 PM

Ya.

by Anonymousreply 166November 26, 2023 1:21 AM

R152 r158

by Anonymousreply 167November 26, 2023 1:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!