Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Glen Powell takedown: do you agree?

Brutal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 20, 2023 5:34 PM

It's not very nice.

by Anonymousreply 1October 20, 2023 12:43 PM

Harsh but true.

That said, it's not like he'd care about such comments; he's laughing all the way to the bank.

by Anonymousreply 2October 20, 2023 12:46 PM

Who the fuck is Heidi Moore?

by Anonymousreply 3October 20, 2023 12:46 PM

Of course, a white liberal woman disapproves of traditional All-American looks. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 4October 20, 2023 12:47 PM

She’s written for the WSJ and the Guardian.

She went on:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 20, 2023 12:51 PM

He's a butterface.

by Anonymousreply 6October 20, 2023 12:53 PM

She had to work white in there, even though it’s regarding chompers. Mocking white is de rigueur for online “wits”.

by Anonymousreply 7October 20, 2023 12:54 PM

Even Rex Reed wasn't this brutal. That's just OTT mean.

by Anonymousreply 8October 20, 2023 12:56 PM

Unfortunately i have a feet that the basis for her reaction is something he can’t control, the size of his eyes. People are naturally distrustful of small eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 20, 2023 12:58 PM

[quote]She went on

As is her wont.

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2023 12:59 PM

There has always been Crest White Strips in Hollywood. Wasn’t Robert Redford basically a version of that? Brad Pitt?

by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2023 12:59 PM

[quote] Of course, a white liberal woman disapproves of traditional All-American looks. 🙄

Yeah, well, the "All-American" looks weren't foremost in her mind when his fist was flying into her face. Nothing is more "All-American" than killing your woman and stuffing her in an oil barrel.

by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2023 1:02 PM

[quote] She had to work white in there, even though it’s regarding chompers. Mocking white is de rigueur for online “wits”.

Lighten up! "Whites" are so sensitive! Such a chip on your shoulder for a culture that's had its knee on everyone else's neck for millennia.

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2023 1:05 PM

I think he's good looking, but sometimes the Hollywood press machine tends to overdue it on someone's attractiveness and everyone is supposed to fall in line that someone is stunningly gorgeous. I think Glen Powell is one of those guys, even though he has sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2023 1:07 PM

She is writing hyperbole. It's supposed to be caustically witty. Like we are supposed to do on DL. It's not that witty. But I do mostly agree with her assessment. He's got the hunk body but he didn't manage to "will" and "manufacture" a Hollywood hunk's face. Other actors managed - Notably: Channing Tatum, who also was dealt small eyes. But he put over his face convincingly in some movies. I found Tatum charming and sexy, at least. Ryan Gosling - who transitioned to adult actor and in Romcoms, as a pleasant looking everyman, not a hunk. Then he had the plastic surgery and he-man body transformation and managed to put over that he does have a matinee idol face. Even though he really doesn't, the smoke and mirrors did work for Gosling. See also, Ryan Reynolds.

Actors who didn't manage to work up the hunk "the face", despite evidence they tried to do that. Tom Hiddleston. Jake Gyllenhaal. And Jake was (is) arguably quite handsome in the face. But no romcom career pour lui.

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2023 1:10 PM

[quote] That said, it's not like he'd care about such comments; he's laughing all the way to the bank.

Indeed. He's just happy to have a job and get paid. He dresses himself for movie premieres...from Burlington (Coat Factory).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2023 1:15 PM

I was a stand-in, on set with him. He's funny, charismatic, enormously attractive, and nice.

by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2023 1:18 PM

R17, that's good to know. I really like him. Saw a couple of his interviews during Top Gun's rollout.

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2023 1:21 PM

If you follow his IG he’s very charming, unfortunately that’s why I think her reaction is entirely based on his small eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2023 1:23 PM

She's either on the rag, a cunt, got jilted by a man who he reminds her of, or all of the above. Meanwhile, the offers keep rolling in for him. Typical hysterical cow.

by Anonymousreply 20October 20, 2023 1:26 PM

The Hemsworth brothers were dealt small eyes and managed the illusion they are matinee handsome. Liam Hemsworth is better looking than Chris, even. But Chris Hemsworth managed to put over "handsome action star" very successfully.

Stars who are genuinely handsome, of varying career success: Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt, the stunning Irishmen Jamie Dornan and Colin Farrell (and Pierce Brosnan), Jude Law and Henry Cavill, frenchmen Guillaume Canet (small eyes) and Jean Dujardin, the Spanish such as Javier Bardem and Antonio Banderas.

by Anonymousreply 21October 20, 2023 1:27 PM

On the flip side, someone who actually is boring can be completely mesmerizing because they have the right eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 20, 2023 1:29 PM

I'm concerned there might be a Keith Urban wig situation (and possibly old lesbian face) down the road for Glen.

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2023 1:29 PM

I think he has a natural sexiness and in that regard he reminds me of Brad Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2023 1:31 PM

Whatevs. I’d love to versatile fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2023 1:31 PM

So true R22. And sometimes the beautiful eyes just alienate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2023 1:32 PM

Nah. He’s sexy. She’s a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2023 1:33 PM

Tom certainly was a looker for a couple decades.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2023 1:35 PM

He is rather strange looking. Squinty eyes, tiny mouth. At least he's got a nice body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 20, 2023 1:40 PM

I don't think she's denying his attractiveness, she's just saying that it's only his looks that have got him where he is and that they alone don't make him interesting.

Would I make such statements openly on Twitter? No, partly because I don't care enough, but also because it looks bitter. I don't disagree with what she's saying, though.

by Anonymousreply 30October 20, 2023 1:43 PM

[quote]he's laughing all the way to the bank.

The expression is "CRYING all the way to the bank."

by Anonymousreply 31October 20, 2023 1:50 PM

If the same time of article was written about a female there would be uproar and the feminists would be burning the writer at the stake.

We can’t ever truly be equal because women want double standards.

by Anonymousreply 32October 20, 2023 1:52 PM

I’m guessing she’d still fuck him given the chance, so what’s this all about

by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2023 2:07 PM

R26 Bomer does the thing with the eyes that Aspies do when they become stressed or overstimulated and the normally serene eyes go BOING đź‘€

See also: Cillian Murphy at the Oppenheimer world premiere

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2023 2:15 PM

There is an enormous difference between criticizing an actor's performance and criticizing the actor.

One is based on legitimate and widely accepted criteria. The other is based on personal bias and crazy. The criticism sounds more like frustration over wanting him deeply inside her, but knowing it'll never happen.

by Anonymousreply 35October 20, 2023 2:30 PM

I prefer guys with medium to small eyes. Big eyes on men look very feminine and/or cartoonish to me.

by Anonymousreply 36October 20, 2023 2:48 PM

I agree that he has no charisma. He does nothing for me.

by Anonymousreply 37October 20, 2023 2:57 PM

I don't expect much of him, so nothing he did in the trailer surprised me. I do think Sydney Sweeney is talented, though, and I agree that she seemed flat and lifeless in the clips.

by Anonymousreply 38October 20, 2023 3:04 PM

I never even heard of this guy before…

Who’s had him?

by Anonymousreply 39October 20, 2023 3:36 PM

100% agree - so bland

by Anonymousreply 40October 20, 2023 3:39 PM

His good movie this year could be "Hit Man," which was already shown at some film festivals. He and the movie are getting great reviews on Rottentomatoes (97%).

(There are fan made-up trailers for this film, but no real trailers yet.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 20, 2023 3:44 PM

This bitch is crazy. One might not find Glenn attractive, but he exudes charisma. The first time I saw him in a movie (Everybody Wants Some), I didn’t find him remotely attractive. But I did find him charming and I even predicted in DL’s annual Oscar prediction thread at the time that he’d score a Best Supporting Actor nom.

by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2023 3:51 PM

She’s being way harsh, Ty. Glenn is cute, in a blah kind of way. Sidney Sweeney’s appeal, apart from filling the hot trailer park chick role, is less obvious. She looks like her family tree is a straight line.

by Anonymousreply 43October 20, 2023 5:30 PM

Denzel Washington worked with him and highly recommended him for the role he played in Top Gun. I don't think Denzel would recommend a lightweight..

by Anonymousreply 44October 20, 2023 5:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!