Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does anyone not like Thai food?

I have a picky relative who grew up on bland Midwestern food and won't try much but meat and potatoes. The exception is Thai food, which she will happily eat. It's also a cuisine very friendly to vegetarians and vegans.

It got me wondering: does anyone not like Thai food? I don't think I know anyone who doesn't like/love it. I could eat it twice a week and be happy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 1, 2023 11:10 PM

Oh ok cool

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2023 9:32 PM

I absolutely love Thai food. It is my favorite Asian cuisine.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2023 9:32 PM

I know several people who don't like it or most Asian food. It, more so because most of the sauces and stuff are not only umami with a lot of fish sauce, but also sweet.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2023 9:33 PM

You all sound fat.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2023 9:37 PM

I don't care for it. I don't like lemongrass and some of the other flavors that are too sweet. I like virtually every other cuisine in the world.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2023 9:40 PM

I do enjoy it but do not eat it on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2023 9:42 PM

virtually

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2023 9:44 PM

Now I want Thai food for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2023 9:45 PM

Delicious, but It's too damn expensive.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2023 9:47 PM

No offense, but you have to be a freak not to like Thai food.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2023 9:48 PM

I like some things but don’t love it. Mostly for the sweetness, yes.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2023 9:50 PM

What Thai food does your relative eat? My hypothesis is that she randomly tried one or two Thai dishes and liked them but is a restrictive kind of personality who doesn't like to go outside of her comfort zone - if she did, she'd probably like dishes from other cuisines.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2023 9:51 PM

I don't - maybe I had a bad batch when I last ate.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2023 9:54 PM

You can't go wrong with coconut milk.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2023 9:55 PM

I like a lot of it but sometimes the spiciness will blow my head off. Know the difference between medium and mild. I have to order no spice these days because I've become a pussy. Also, I need to remember to hold the egg because eggs make me want to hurl.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2023 10:01 PM

[quote]You can't go wrong with coconut milk.

i.e. high fat!

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2023 10:02 PM

Well R16 I am a fat whore. And I rejoice over thai food.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2023 10:12 PM

At some places it is delicious. At others it is too sweet.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2023 10:23 PM

BEARKING NEWS!!!

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2023 10:30 PM

[quote] In 2002, the Thai government launched the Global Thai Program, a diplomatic initiative with the aim of increasing the number of Thai restaurants worldwide. The state provided training programs, grants, and information to Thai investors who wanted to open restaurants abroad. As part of this campaign, Pad Thai — a dish with virtually no cultural history — was positioned as Thailand's national dish and pioneered a culinary campaign funded by the Thai government with 500 million baht ($15 million USD). The government believed that the project would contribute to agricultural and food exports, while also producing foreign income from overseas transactions of goods and services. It worked. Thailand's cuisine has become a global phenomenon as a result of the project.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2023 10:37 PM

Some of it is too greasy and salty. I'm looking at ew, Pad See Ew.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2023 10:59 PM

I love it but there are some dishes that are just too heavy on the fish sauce.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2023 11:28 PM

Love it! My favorite food and nothing is better than eating it in Thailand.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2023 11:42 PM

One of my best friends has lived in Thailand for several years - he's actually grown tired of it. A lot of Thai food can taste the same due to the seasonings, fish sauce, and chili sauce.

He said after several months, everything just started tasting the same.

Thai is good, but not great. I prefer Vietnamese - THAT is some good food!

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2023 11:54 PM

The curry dishes bother my stomach and I find the noodles greasy.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2023 12:04 AM

I could eat Thai food every day.

We have some fantastic Thai restaurants where I live in Southeastern Wisconsin.

I can’t imagine anyone not liking it, but some rigid/baby-taste type people I’ve encountered refuse to even try it.

It generally follows that such people and I will have little in common in other facets of life.

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2023 12:18 AM

I love it more than any kind of food. There was an Isaan Thai restaurant on 9th Avenue called Larb Ubol that had very different style of Thai, but it closed before the pandemic. A lot of the Thai restaurants in Hell’s Kitchen seem to have disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2023 12:34 AM

[quote] I can’t imagine anyone not liking it, but some rigid/baby-taste type people I’ve encountered refuse to even try it. It generally follows that such people and I will have little in common in other facets of life.

Stick up your ass much, r26?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2023 12:39 AM

Meh.

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2023 12:40 AM

Have you eaten at The King and I, R26? It was all the rage back in the 90s, but I haven't been there since.

by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2023 1:33 AM

I can’t eat coconut, spicy food, or fish (some shrimp is okay, but I’m allergic to other shellfish). That makes Thai food a challenge.

by Anonymousreply 31October 18, 2023 1:53 AM

I love it but it’s pretty much ubiquitous in the city where I live so I try to ration my intake.

by Anonymousreply 32October 18, 2023 1:53 AM

I love it, but I *have* encountered bad Thai food (the first such restaurant to come to my hometown was hit or miss). And I certainly understand people getting their first taste of something seasoned with bird's eye chilies and deciding it's not for them as their tonsils ignite.

Still, my mother likes it and she tends to regard anything more foreign and exotic than lasagna suspiciously.

by Anonymousreply 33October 18, 2023 1:53 AM

Best you stick to Wendy's and MacDonald's R31.

by Anonymousreply 34October 18, 2023 1:55 AM

It's my favorite. I love Yum Kai Dao (fried egg salad). Though not a huge fan of a pad thai. It's all right, but the least interesting thing at any good thai place

by Anonymousreply 35October 18, 2023 2:01 AM

I fucking hate it. I hate the smell and I hate the emotions it brings up in me. I once dated a psycho who loved Thai food. This little short Filipino guy with a giant pumpkin head. We always had to eat Thai food. And then every time I tried to break it off with him he would threaten to kill himself. Then when I couldn’t take the crazy anymore and finally dumped him, he stalked me online for several years. Since then, I have never voluntarily eaten Thai food because it reminds me of him. If I’m with a group of people and they insist on Thai food, I will begrudgingly eat it.

by Anonymousreply 36October 18, 2023 2:06 AM

Meh, it tastes good but too carby, salty, fatty and too many calories to have once in a blue moon. I feel the same about Chinese, Mexican and most Italian restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 37October 18, 2023 2:21 AM

What do you like to eat every day, r37?

by Anonymousreply 38October 18, 2023 2:23 AM

Love it and have taught myself to cook a half dozen dishes. After you buy some of the essential ingredients, many dishes come together quickly. I cheat and use curry pastes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 18, 2023 2:27 AM

Here's a yummy, easy ground chicken larb lettuce wrap to try out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 18, 2023 2:32 AM

R34 I can satisfy myself with Chipotle, El Pollo Loco, and Panda Express.

by Anonymousreply 41October 18, 2023 4:04 AM

Oh. It definitely not my favorite. I’d much rather have Vietnamese, Korean, Indian, Malaysian, Burmese (which are still awfully close to Thai at most restaurants) and sometimes Chinese takeout before Thai. But I have a friend who won’t eat at any of those restaurants and we always end up getting Thai. ☹️

by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2023 4:12 AM

Many of you are Lard Bols.

by Anonymousreply 43October 18, 2023 4:17 AM

[quote] maybe I had a bad batch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2023 4:20 AM

[quote] Pad Thai — a dish with virtually no cultural history — was positioned as Thailand's national dish

I love their pad Thai!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2023 4:28 AM

It's just okay. it's probably the cuisine that would be last on my list to eat, but i would eat it if that's where everyone wanted to go.

I just find Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Greek/Mediterranean, Mexican, Spanish and any other number of cuisines more pleasing to my palate.

But maybe i've just never eaten at a truly good Thai restaurant, or had any standout dishes. I don't object to any ingredients specifically, and in fact use them in other things I cook (lemongrass, ginger, coconut milk, etc).

by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2023 4:38 AM

I occasionally eat it, but it's hard for me to tolerate even mildly spicy foods. Garlic and onion are about as hot as I can tolerate. That being written, I can usually find something on the menu at a Thai place that appeals to me.

by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2023 4:51 AM

No. Everyone likes Thai food.

Next?

by Anonymousreply 48October 18, 2023 4:55 AM

Thai food tastes like the sour spit drippings from a rusty old spitoon. NO thank you. Keep your lemon grass, coconut milk and other auf-tasting ingredients. The truth about Thai food? Not only is it disgusting tasting, it is in general, one of the most unhealthy diets in all of Asia and the world.

by Anonymousreply 49October 18, 2023 6:44 AM

I prefer it to Chinese food.

by Anonymousreply 50October 18, 2023 7:02 AM

R49

[quote]Not only is it disgusting tasting, it is in general, one of the most unhealthy diets in all of Asia and the world.

Have you SEEN Filipino food? If the combination of deep fried leftover pig parts and tripe aren’t enough, take comfort in the fact that every Filipino over 50 has either diabetes or heart disease.

by Anonymousreply 51October 18, 2023 7:16 AM

I'm one of the approximately 10% of the world who has the gene that makes coriander taste absolutely repulsive. Somewhere in the realm of washing-up water. Even a couple of leaves of it can wreck a dish. It is such a common ingredient in Thai food that even if they tell you "this dish doesn't have any", the kitchen is so awash with the stuff you're likely to get the taste off the chopping boards etc. So no Thai food for me.

I will be very happy when the fad for putting coriander in everything else ceases, because it's constantly catching me unawares in dishes like sirloin steak (oops! marinated in coriander oil and they forgot to say on the menu).

by Anonymousreply 52October 18, 2023 1:07 PM

[quote] I'm one of the approximately 10% of the world who has the gene that makes coriander taste absolutely repulsive.

Some people do not like the taste of cilantro.

by Anonymousreply 53October 18, 2023 1:10 PM

I don't even like *good* cilantro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 18, 2023 1:18 PM

[quote] I've become a pussy

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 55October 18, 2023 1:24 PM

Come back to me when you’ve had balut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 18, 2023 10:42 PM

I only like Thai food when it's served out of the arsehole of a 15yo Lady-Boi.

by Anonymousreply 57October 18, 2023 10:55 PM

I like Thigh Food!

by Anonymousreply 58October 18, 2023 10:58 PM

R54's article raises an interesting point -- are "foodies" actually quite poor at tasting what they're eating?

Because most of them seem happy to eat pretty much anything, whereas if you've got a really acute sense of smell/taste it follows there will be a number of things you really can't stand. Also, foodies seem to love putting a ton of chilli and spices in everything, whereas an acute sense of taste can enjoy those things, but the better the produce is the less call you'd think it would have for them.

by Anonymousreply 59October 23, 2023 12:01 PM

[quote]are "foodies" actually quite poor at tasting what they're eating?

It has more to do with clinging to what you're used to and shying away from the unknown.

by Anonymousreply 60October 23, 2023 12:09 PM

Thai is one of those cuisines where what you are served in any given can be so far from the real thing that it’s hard to tell if you like it or not. By that I mean what person thinks of as Thai will be different from someone else. Menu of my favourite Thai restaurant Som Saa in London below. No Pad Thai in sight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 23, 2023 3:44 PM

This is a lovely menu, R61, but it's not what I'd expect to see at my neighborhood places. Everything there is a la carte. Chicken satay, tom yum soup, spring rolls and green papaya salad are common openers. Larb in lettuce cups and steak salad are other shared appetizers. Entrees run mainly to shrimp, chicken, pork and beef-- pad thai, green curry beef, pad see ew, basil chicken, pepper steak, various other curries, and red snapper, catfish and salmon. Some may find these very pedestrian but it's what you'd find in many of my city's Thai restaurants and they're usually delicious.

So, yes, we may be talking about different things. I learned that some Chinese restaurants in the UK serve french fries/chips and I don't think I've ever seen this in the US.

by Anonymousreply 62October 23, 2023 10:13 PM

I ate at a Szechuan restaurant in Oxford and their versions of standards like hot and sour soup were quite different than in the US.

by Anonymousreply 63October 23, 2023 10:16 PM

Here's a list of popular Thai dishes in the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 23, 2023 10:18 PM

Love Thai food but I hate Vietnamese pho. It’s so damn plain and I just absolutely detest it.

by Anonymousreply 65October 23, 2023 10:21 PM

Sorry, the menuism link didn't work. Here's another that lists staple menu items in the US.

I'm sure this isn't authentic at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 23, 2023 10:41 PM

Is rice stapled?

by Anonymousreply 67October 23, 2023 10:45 PM

R63, I looked at some UK recipes for hot-sour soup and they contained ketchup and/or tomato sauce. I've never seen this in the US. Woks of Life doesn't make it this way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 23, 2023 10:53 PM

I'm in the 10% with you, R52, but I like Thai food. It's Vietnamese pho that's a real no-go for me.

by Anonymousreply 69October 24, 2023 12:04 AM

Pho isn't appealing to me, but I've loved most other varieties of Vietnamese food I've tried.

[quote]I learned that some Chinese restaurants in the UK serve french fries/chips and I don't think I've ever seen this in the US.

They do that at Chinese buffets here in the South. I've also seen breadsticks and a chafing dish full of corn, which I'm fairly certain are not standard Chinese fare.

by Anonymousreply 70November 1, 2023 11:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!