Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hotel Portofino, Season 2

Begins tonight on PBS at 8 PM ET.

Starring Natascha McElhone, Mark Umbers & Oliver Dench (great-nephew of Dame Judi Dench).

[quote]Set in the breathtakingly beautiful Italian seaside town of Portofino during the “Roaring 20s,” Season 2 begins in the summer of 1927 as Bella Ainsworth is still devoting all her energy into making Hotel Portofino a success.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 27, 2023 12:52 PM

I liked this. It was recycling every character from every period series prior, but it was a passable cold weather diversion.

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2023 8:39 PM

Love Mark Umbers

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2023 8:40 PM

Does it have gay stuff?

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2023 8:43 PM

R3, yes, there's a gay character

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2023 8:46 PM

R3, yes. As R4 said, there is a gay character called Anish (Assad Zaman) who is secretly in love with Oliver Dench (Lucian).

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2023 8:55 PM

Mark Umbers is a gorgeous hunk, he was in Midsomer Murders

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2023 9:28 PM

Mark Umbers played Franklin Shepard in the Maria Friedman "Merrily We Roll Along" London production that's now been imported to Broadway. Jonathan Groff plays Umbers's role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2023 10:54 PM

Watching it right now

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2023 12:40 AM

Wish we'd see more of the gay couple

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2023 12:38 AM

Mark Umbers was also in Home Fires (a show that I and perhaps eight other people watched) and he was so deliciously hot in it, in his WWII uniform.

by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2023 12:43 AM

R1 I saw this quote and figured it said the same thing you did: "'It is a drama serial which draws so heavily from The Durrells and Downton Abbey that it could have been assembled from an ITV kit"

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2023 12:46 AM

Last season was just OK, but the scenery is really lovely to look at - and so was Oliver Dench's ass. So I'll give the 2nd season a look.

by Anonymousreply 12October 26, 2023 11:07 PM

If you add up the minutes of each episode that are mise-en-scene shots with no dialogue, they get to be annoying.

by Anonymousreply 13October 26, 2023 11:55 PM

Not as annoying as the acting or the plots.

by Anonymousreply 14October 27, 2023 12:41 PM

Yeah, I agree, r14.

Beautiful photography but thin plots, bad dialogue, and a ridiculously miscast lead actress.

by Anonymousreply 15October 27, 2023 12:45 PM

She's totally vamping it up this season. I like the actress, I thought she did well in The Crown, but on here she's like a bouncing balloon that could cut somebody with those cheeks.

Side note, the 20s were awful for hair and fashion, in my view. Same thing on Downton, where they mired for so long. Hard looks, ugly jewellery, head bands, shifts... hate the twenties as a look era.

by Anonymousreply 16October 27, 2023 12:47 PM

And Oliver Dench is trying to nepo baby himself since he was born Oliver Mayer, Dench being his stage name. Judi is great aunt.

Wonder why he chose it?

by Anonymousreply 17October 27, 2023 12:47 PM

Probably because his talent so evidently equals hers.

by Anonymousreply 18October 27, 2023 12:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!