Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cher Recalls Sonny Bono's Apology That Led to Her Forgiving Him

When Cher and Sonny Bono went their separate ways in 1975 after a decade of marriage, things between the pair were tense.

“He pissed me off royally and hurt me,” Cher, 77, tells PEOPLE in this week’s issue.

But by the time of Bono’s sudden death in 1998, any icy relations had thawed, thanks in part to a welcome apology from the singer-songwriter-turned-politician, Cher, who’s set to release her first holiday album Christmas on Oct. 20, reveals.

“One day he came into the kitchen at my house and said, ‘Cher, I want to apologize. I realized that I hurt you in so many ways, and I was wrong,’” the “Believe" singer recalls. “That went a long way for me.”

Though Bono’s olive branch “didn’t cure everything,” it was significant for Cher, who shares son Chaz Bono, 54, with the late star.

“The fact that he came and said it meant something to me, that at least he acknowledged that he had been hurtful,” she explains.

Cher and Bono — who married in 1964 — found music fame in the 1960s with hits like “I Got You Babe” and “The Beat Goes On,” and later parlayed that fame into TV stardom with their CBS variety show The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour, which aired from 1971 to 1974.

Though their marriage didn’t last, Cher says she and her ex “had so much fun together,” especially while on set, noting that any anger between the two would dissipate “in five seconds” once they got to work.

“Working together was the easiest part of it, because we really made each other laugh,” she says. “You can’t fake that kind of stuff.”

Bono, who’d given up the music business for a career in politics, died at age 62 in a skiing accident, and Cher’s 1998 comeback album Believe was dedicated to him.

She’s currently dating music producer Alexander “A.E.” Edwards, 37, to whom she was first linked last November.

“I hate when people say people are special, but lots of people say I’m special, so I can say that he’s special," she says. "No matter what happens, I love being with him. He makes me laugh, and we have fun. What I learned is that it’s never too late. If you wrote out all the statistics, you would go, ‘Well, this is doomed.’ But we’ve been together a year, and if it was just a year, it would’ve been worth it. I’ve had the best time.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 14, 2023 7:36 AM

Maybe he had a sense that he was going to die and needed to make amends.

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2023 10:18 PM

Did he cheat on her? What's she talking about?

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2023 10:20 PM

What’s he have to apologize for? He made her a star. She was a groupie background singer with a schemer mother.

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2023 10:23 PM

Dear Cher, I may be barking up the wrong tree…

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2023 10:26 PM

I assume she never apologized to him for leaving him and sleeping with another man.

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2023 10:28 PM

Words can hurt and they can heal.

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2023 11:10 PM

Wasn’t she 16 when they got married? And he was nearly 30?

by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2023 12:23 AM

She gave an excellent eulogy at his funeral. She had legit gotten over any bad feelings toward him by that time.

by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2023 12:31 AM

“One day he came into the kitchen at my house and said, ‘Cher, I want to apologize. I realized that I hurt you in so many ways, and I was wrong,’” the “Believe" singer recalls.

This never happened.

by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2023 12:31 AM

"'One day he came into the kitchen at my house and said, ‘Cher, I want to apologize. I realized that I hurt you in so many ways, and I was wrong,’” the “Believe" singer recalls."

I'm just picturing Sonny casually strolling into Cher's kitchen out of nowhere

by Anonymousreply 10October 13, 2023 3:48 AM

Let’s be the hot mic…

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2023 3:54 AM

[quote] Maybe he had a sense that he was going to die

Yes, Rose R1, he had a vision that he was on skis and about to hit a tree.

by Anonymousreply 12October 13, 2023 4:01 AM

I never understood why she had so much cosmetic surgery when she was already beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 13October 13, 2023 8:59 AM

[quote] ‘Cher, I want to apologize. I realized that I hurt you in so many ways, and I was wrong,’

What a profound apology.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2023 9:12 AM

R10 😂 I don't think it was as random as that.

He probably called her up and asked to meet with her and they set up a date for him to come over, but there's really no point in mentioning all that, so she just simply said, "One day he came into the kitchen at my house..."

by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2023 10:11 AM

One day Sonny, paid off my security guards, dodged the watchdogs and broke into my house...

by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2023 10:26 AM

He was so short and hideous and she was so tall and gorgeous. I never understood how they lasted as long as they did or why she would let that troll nut in her in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2023 10:38 AM

R17 see R3

by Anonymousreply 18October 13, 2023 12:46 PM

He was a joke when he was a live. She's made herself into a joke since Sonny's death. Why should any of us care at this late date?

by Anonymousreply 19October 13, 2023 12:52 PM

^ Since when was the most successful married singing duo a joke? Sonny played dumb, it was a bit that made them millions. Neither one of these two people are dumb

by Anonymousreply 20October 13, 2023 3:34 PM

[quote]Since when was the most successful married singing duo a joke?

Fuck you R20.

by Anonymousreply 21October 13, 2023 3:50 PM

^ Who? 🤔

by Anonymousreply 22October 13, 2023 4:01 PM

R20 seems not have watched their show (Sonny as the butt of Cher's jokes), been aware of Sonny's being the butt of others' jokes, esp. when he entered politics, or watched Cher turn herself into self-parody (plastic surgery, boytoys, repeated farewell tours).

by Anonymousreply 23October 13, 2023 4:06 PM

[quote]Neither one of these two people are dumb

Cher might not be booksmart, but she is charismatic and likable…and she’s funny and somehow relatable on stage. She has the it factor.

by Anonymousreply 24October 13, 2023 5:23 PM

Let me out of this trunk!

by Anonymousreply 25October 13, 2023 5:31 PM

@r23, It was a bit for TV. They're actors (Cher won the Academy award) Sonny & Cher on TV was not real life Sonny & Cher. Cher will be the first to admit that all their success was Sonny's shrewd business savvy

by Anonymousreply 26October 13, 2023 5:38 PM

Sonny was the brains/business savvy while Cher was the personality. It worked.

by Anonymousreply 27October 13, 2023 5:48 PM

^ Cher is also a pretty good singer

by Anonymousreply 28October 13, 2023 5:53 PM

He was the Desi, she was the Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 29October 13, 2023 6:12 PM

Mary had Grant and Carol had Joe.

by Anonymousreply 30October 13, 2023 6:28 PM

@r29, Sonny took the oldest husband and wife bit in comedy and dressed it up in Bob Mackie gowns and a long list of the latest rock guest-stars and made it work for a new generation

by Anonymousreply 31October 13, 2023 6:33 PM

"He was the Desi, she was the Lucy."

Uh, Lucy was a LOT more involved in the business side of things than Cher was. Yes, Desi was an innovator and a very smart man, but Lucy was no naive child bride.

by Anonymousreply 32October 13, 2023 6:43 PM

^ " Lucy was a LOT more involved in the business side of things than Cher was. "

Only after the divorce when Lucy became head of Desilu did she get involved with the business side and she hated it.

by Anonymousreply 33October 13, 2023 6:53 PM

[quote]—Lucy and Desi

Singing? Sure, Jan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 13, 2023 11:07 PM

Ahem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 13, 2023 11:09 PM

r9 Agreed

by Anonymousreply 36October 13, 2023 11:10 PM

@r35, Meh, she couldn't hold a torch to our Lucy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 13, 2023 11:14 PM

I find this believable that this happened, and in her kitchen.

Iirc, they shared physical placement of Chaz. Maybe he was picking her up at Cher's house.

by Anonymousreply 38October 13, 2023 11:39 PM

She accused him of withholding her rightful earnings, and he countered by taking her to court for custody of their kid.

by Anonymousreply 39October 13, 2023 11:53 PM

She accused him of withholding her rightful earnings, and he countered by taking her to court for custody of their kid. Allegedly, that’s what he was apologizing for.

by Anonymousreply 40October 13, 2023 11:54 PM

Sonny & Cher reunited on David Letterman, singing "I Got You Babe." At the end, Sonny is choked up and verklempt.

Cher's mother and sister are blonde & attractive. I think Cher felt like an ugly duckling. Sonny wasn't super attractive, but I think he made her feel attractive when she needed that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 14, 2023 2:45 AM

r5

When they broke up Cher discovered that she was an employee of Cher Enterprises. Not an owner, not a stock holder, not a decision maker, an employee similar to the cleaning people and boom mike operator. She also had to pay Sonny $1m for leaving. Cher had no money of her own. David Geffen helped her out.

by Anonymousreply 42October 14, 2023 2:59 AM

[quote]She accused him of withholding her rightful earnings, and he countered by taking her to court for custody of their kid. Allegedly, that’s what he was apologizing for.

Once he saw how much he had dodged a bullet on the custody, it was easy to apologize for it.

by Anonymousreply 43October 14, 2023 3:05 AM

[quote]I'm just picturing Sonny casually strolling into Cher's kitchen out of nowhere

with Lyle Waggoner.

by Anonymousreply 44October 14, 2023 3:09 AM

When is Chaz going to make Cher a grandma? It's about time.

by Anonymousreply 45October 14, 2023 3:17 AM

R8 I still remember her line at the funeral eulogy…” and then he became a…Republican!” like she still was in shock about that.

by Anonymousreply 46October 14, 2023 5:09 AM

[quote] One day Sonny, paid off my security guards, dodged the watchdogs and broke into my house...

Yeah because Cher lived in Fort Knox.

by Anonymousreply 47October 14, 2023 5:16 AM

^ And that was even before Republicans all became crazy fascists... If he had lived she would have killed him 😠

by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2023 7:25 AM

I loved her since I was a kid. However she's probably exhausting. An emotional vampire. It's funny I remember the highlight of the sonny and Cher show would be her interaction with Chasity. Maybe that was just the Cher show

by Anonymousreply 49October 14, 2023 7:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!