Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gregory Peck

Let's discuss the great American actor Gregory Peck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 7, 2023 11:22 AM

He had a genial stoicism.

by Anonymousreply 1October 6, 2023 8:06 PM

One of my all-time favorites. On one hand, he was a man's man, and on the other a gentleman and a true class act.

by Anonymousreply 2October 6, 2023 8:06 PM

Grandfather of Jake and Drosh star Josh Peck.

by Anonymousreply 3October 6, 2023 8:06 PM

In conversation with Roy Plomley, Gregory Peck discusses his modeling days, acting, politics, and his love of Beethoven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 6, 2023 8:07 PM

He is Gregory Peck!

Thread from last year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 6, 2023 8:12 PM

I love him in just about everything he has done:

Days of Glory, Spellbound, Gentleman's Agreement, Twelve O'clock High, Roman Holiday, Designing Women, The Big Country, The Guns of Navarone, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Omen, The Boys from Brazil, and both Cape Fear movies.

by Anonymousreply 6October 6, 2023 8:13 PM

I adore him - god, he was gorgeous! I follow his daughter on Instagram and she often posts pics of him and her equally beautiful mother. To me, he is the quintessential movie star: handsome, a solid actor, good politics, beloved by everyone…the whole package.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 6, 2023 8:22 PM

I've never seen anyone whose left ear was so much bigger than his right ear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 6, 2023 8:37 PM

Okay, now, this man, he looka like a man.

by Anonymousreply 9October 6, 2023 9:50 PM

Time to give The Omen a Halloween rewatch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 6, 2023 9:58 PM

I'm sure he's the sole reason there were so many male children named Greg or Gregory born between 1950 and 1970. (Hardly a one after that).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 6, 2023 10:06 PM

R11 Maybe. I love the name Gregory. I would name my son that. Burton too

by Anonymousreply 12October 6, 2023 10:18 PM

Well..his Christian name was Eldred.

He gave a lot of $ to Cal. He also supported Cal Crew in memory of Ky Ebright.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 6, 2023 10:23 PM

Great actor too. He had it all.

by Anonymousreply 14October 6, 2023 11:42 PM

I find GP dependably bland--always the same archetype in every role: the honorable, blue-blood, deep-voiced dude. Nothing inherently bad about that, but for me it gets boring. Give me Dirk Bogarde any day. Bogarde took risks with his work and was an artist.

by Anonymousreply 15October 6, 2023 11:55 PM

This thread reminds me: Where is our DL Greg today, the Greg of macaroni salad infamy?

by Anonymousreply 16October 7, 2023 12:01 AM

^ GP played against type in Duel in the Son and The Boys From Brazil

by Anonymousreply 17October 7, 2023 12:02 AM

Lauren Bacall behaved herself around him!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 7, 2023 12:10 AM

I hate you r8

by Anonymousreply 19October 7, 2023 12:31 AM

R8, I love you. Only a true DLer would notice that AND have the gall to bust up an adulatory homage to Gregory Peck by pointing it out the way you did.

by Anonymousreply 20October 7, 2023 12:37 AM

R15. He wasn’t a blue blood. How often did he play one? Name the roles where he played a blue blood—and don’t say Ahab or Hornblower.

by Anonymousreply 21October 7, 2023 12:44 AM

I like him pretty much, mind you--still, every time I see him, I think of the great, stoned comment from Robert Mitchum: "The two worst actors in Hollywood are both named Gregory Peck."

by Anonymousreply 22October 7, 2023 12:56 AM

Perfection

by Anonymousreply 23October 7, 2023 3:11 AM

R22 I agree with Robert Mitchum. Never saw Peck in anything that impressed me. But he seemed like an all around decent fellow. With one ear grotesquely larger than the other. (thanks R8!)

by Anonymousreply 24October 7, 2023 3:40 AM

R24 Have you seen The Omen?

by Anonymousreply 25October 7, 2023 3:42 AM

He is perfect

by Anonymousreply 26October 7, 2023 3:56 AM

Stuntman Alf Joint worked on both The Omen, starring Gregory Peck, and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. In the latter he plunged 430 ft into the Reichenbach Falls doubling for Eric Porter.

by Anonymousreply 27October 7, 2023 4:02 AM

R27 Perfection ;)

by Anonymousreply 28October 7, 2023 4:19 AM

He sucked a mean cock, better than Brad Pitt or the Skipper from Gilligans Island.

by Anonymousreply 29October 7, 2023 4:27 AM

I want to suck Sir Gregory's cock

by Anonymousreply 30October 7, 2023 4:30 AM

R21, R15 here. Okay, okay, "blue blood" was not the best word choice. The linked Time article on GP hits on what I meant. He specialized in the role of ethically elevated or dignified men (Gentleman's Agreement, Atticus Finch in To Kill a Moxkingbird), and that's fine, but my point is simply that I find him bland and one-note Johnny. Bogarde, in comparison, was courageous beyond measure about taking risky parts that put him in an unflattering light. He was a true artist, whereas Peck was a star. There's room for both. But for me, Bogarde and artist-actors are the interesting ones. Peck puts me to sleep.

You Peck fans sure are a sensitive bunch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 7, 2023 10:53 AM

R22, Bogarde fan here again--that's a great quote! And I'll add Mitchum to my short list of artist-actors. Mitchum is always a fascinating actor to watch. Great expressive face that he knows how to use with subtle power. And you like handsome? Mitchum is easily as handsome as Peck.

by Anonymousreply 32October 7, 2023 11:02 AM

^ Peck could NEVER have unleashed the artistry that Mitchum did in Night of the Hunter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 7, 2023 11:07 AM

James Cagney was another Peck contemporary who blew Peck out of the water with his artistry and sheer dynamism. Made Peck seem like pea soup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 7, 2023 11:15 AM

[quote] James Cagney was another Peck contemporary who blew Peck out of the water

You can add Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, and Charles Boyer to that growing list.

by Anonymousreply 35October 7, 2023 11:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!