Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Looking back at 1997’s "In & Out"

Released by Paramount Pictures, it’s hard to understate what a big deal the film was for its time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 7, 2023 4:11 PM

I love this movie! I remember watching it in a movie theater with a majority gay crowd. The “little gay bar on the prairie” line got a huge laugh. Also, the raised leg during the kiss got a big whoop from the gays. Today, the movie would be canceled for using straight actors, being too white, and being stereotypical.

by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2023 3:00 AM

"Is everybody gay?"

Joan Cusack made this movie for me.

It was all innocent fun for its time. The kiss between Kline and Selleck was divine.

by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2023 3:04 AM

Great movie and R1 is correct, people are psychotic now.

by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2023 3:06 AM

- Peter Malloy: “One day I just clicked. I said: ‘Mom, dad, Sparky, I'm gay.’” - Howard Brackett: “So what happened?” - Peter Malloy: “My mom cried, for exactly 10 seconds, my boss said: ‘Who cares?’, and my dad said: ‘But you're so tall.’”

by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2023 3:11 AM

[quote] Here, I'll give you your headline. Howard Brackett is a big homo-queer-merry-sissy man. He just came out at his big church wedding. Martha Stewart is furious.

Howard Brackett became a spare prick at a wedding.

by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2023 3:24 AM

I need the rewatch this.

by Anonymousreply 6October 4, 2023 3:25 AM

Yeah - this was a big turning point for gay acceptance. It's also a fun movie.

I wish I could see Joan Cusack in more things - I miss her so much. A unique talent and incredibly under-used. Although - I think she has 2 oscar nominations, right? Working Girl and this movie?

by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2023 3:29 AM

Fuck Barbra Streisand! And you!

by Anonymousreply 8October 4, 2023 3:31 AM

Love this movie. Cusack is hilarious.

"HETEROSEXUAL CODE RED!"

by Anonymousreply 9October 4, 2023 3:33 AM

Eat something, I'm begging you! You look like a swizzle stick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 4, 2023 5:09 AM

Great movie.

by Anonymousreply 11October 4, 2023 5:18 AM

The How to be a Man tape is funny.

by Anonymousreply 12October 4, 2023 6:02 AM

Thank you, OP! I loved this movie the first (and second) time around. It's time for a third. Selleck was beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 13October 4, 2023 6:06 AM

R13 I doubly agree with everything ⬆️ said. Ditto.

by Anonymousreply 14October 4, 2023 6:21 AM

Love this film too, its fun, sweet and has a happy ending, and Kevin Kline was very hot in this

by Anonymousreply 15October 4, 2023 6:26 AM

Howard Brackett: Tom, do I look like a homosexual?

Tom Halliwell: Would you walk for me?

by Anonymousreply 16October 4, 2023 1:20 PM

WHET Paul Rudnick's talent?

by Anonymousreply 17October 4, 2023 1:32 PM

I thought it was really funny but I feel like the movie isn't really talked about that much anymore.

by Anonymousreply 18October 4, 2023 2:09 PM

The actor who played Kevin's brother was hot.

by Anonymousreply 19October 4, 2023 7:49 PM

Can see why Kevin Kline and Tom Selleck like moustaches. They both have thin upper lips.

by Anonymousreply 20October 4, 2023 9:37 PM

[quote]Released by Paramount Pictures, it’s hard to understate what a big deal the film was for its time.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 21October 4, 2023 10:04 PM

Kline comes across as more asexual than straight but believable as an artsy type.

by Anonymousreply 22October 5, 2023 9:38 AM

I really loved this movie. The cast were all great and it was fun and funny and very gay friendly/supportive for the time. I must watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 23October 5, 2023 9:47 AM

Kevin Kline is fabulous. I loved the movie when it was released.

by Anonymousreply 24October 5, 2023 10:17 AM

Produced by Aaron Spelling which probably explains why there are so many people in it from TV shows. He got 'em cheap.

by Anonymousreply 25October 6, 2023 10:22 AM

They WERE cheap!

by Anonymousreply 26October 6, 2023 10:27 AM

That bowl haircut does Lauren Ambrose no favors.

by Anonymousreply 27October 6, 2023 10:30 AM

I always want to love this movie more than I do, great as Joan Cusack is in it.

Also -- having a high school graduation days after the Academy Awards? That's just lazy plotting. (Even pickier of me, I guess, but . . . a separate montage for [presumably] each Best Actor candidate is cheating too. Why not just have TO SERVE AND PROTECT nominated for Best Picture and show the montage on that basis?)

by Anonymousreply 28October 6, 2023 10:58 AM

R28, I bet you don't get invited to many parties.

by Anonymousreply 29October 6, 2023 12:28 PM

The minute I heard about Kevin Kline dumping Patti Lupone, he became a favorite of mine.

by Anonymousreply 30October 6, 2023 12:38 PM

"do you know how many times I've had to watch FUNNY LADY!"

by Anonymousreply 31October 6, 2023 12:53 PM

The biggest laugh I got from To Serve and Protect was the southern drawl of Dan Hedaya.

by Anonymousreply 32October 6, 2023 1:22 PM

[quote]"do you know how many times I've had to watch FUNNY LADY!"

She was UNDER CONTRACT!

by Anonymousreply 33October 6, 2023 3:23 PM

I saw it in Indiana (I was on a work trip but had lived there before) so I was happy to see it context, although it was too nice to Indiana.

Very well cast---Selleck and Dillon doing self-parody. Joan Cusask at her best. Debbie Reynolds is just perfect as the mother. Newhart was great in this and probably the nicest take on an ignorant Hoosier one could do. The dialog is filled with great lines and delivery..."I hated the Bridges of Madison County", "She was too for Yentl".

by Anonymousreply 34October 6, 2023 3:33 PM

I love that Joan Cusack received an Oscar nomination for this. She’s absolutely hysterical in it. (“Is EVERYBODY GAY?!??!?”)

Kevin Kline deserved a nod too. He is so endearing in this. And I LOVE the “How to be a Real Man” sequence when he breaks out gay at the end.

by Anonymousreply 35October 6, 2023 5:25 PM

Years ago I heard this film was based on an incident where Tom Hanks, before he became TOM HANKS, inadvertently (and incorrectly!) outed his high school drama teacher! No idea if that's true.

by Anonymousreply 36October 7, 2023 1:59 AM

Hated it.

by Anonymousreply 37October 7, 2023 2:05 AM

This movie has a strange tone. At first you believe he is straight and when he is said to be gay you don't want to believe it.

by Anonymousreply 38October 7, 2023 2:16 AM

I do think Paul Rudnick is very funny, but he favors punchlines over characters and it's difficult to get past that facile layer to where you can really feel for the characters, empathize with them and see them as human.

by Anonymousreply 39October 7, 2023 2:25 AM

Plus Frank Oz is hardly subtle. He was Miss Piggy after all.

by Anonymousreply 40October 7, 2023 2:29 AM

That was probably the last time Tom Selleck looked hot before he morphed into Wilfred Brimley.

by Anonymousreply 41October 7, 2023 2:47 AM

Hated it then, hate it now. Joan Cusack and Debbie Reynolds' scenes are the only scenes to watch. It's incredibly homophobic. His being gay is predicated on a stereotype, not an attraction to/affection for men. It's upsidedown, and worst of all: Kevin Kline is the star. FUCK THIS MOVIE. AND YOU!

by Anonymousreply 42October 7, 2023 3:08 AM

R38, no, you're just strange.

by Anonymousreply 43October 7, 2023 3:21 AM

It's one of Kline's better performances. He's rarely been a standout to me in dramatic roles.

by Anonymousreply 44October 7, 2023 3:26 AM

"I'm wearing a wedding dress which YOU! PICKED! OUT!"

by Anonymousreply 45October 7, 2023 3:29 AM

[quote] Years ago I heard this film was based on an incident where Tom Hanks, before he became TOM HANKS, inadvertently (and incorrectly!) outed his high school drama teacher!

It was when he won the Oscar for Philadelphia, so yes, he was already TOM HANKS.

by Anonymousreply 46October 7, 2023 3:37 AM

[quote]Tom Hanks, before he became TOM HANKS, inadvertently (and incorrectly!) outed his high school drama teacher! No idea if that's true.

It was true, but the teacher was gay (and retired). It happened when he won his Oscar for "Philadelphia".,

by Anonymousreply 47October 7, 2023 4:08 AM

R42

They love Kevin in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 48October 7, 2023 4:29 AM

Kline was great in Dave and A Fish Called Wanda.

by Anonymousreply 49October 7, 2023 4:49 AM

R46 / R47 Thank you for the details. I thought I wasn't sure about the Tom Hanks connection.

by Anonymousreply 50October 7, 2023 5:07 AM

R49

He was great in Soap Dish a truly fun movie that is now a bit non pc with its T character. A fun look at the soaps .

by Anonymousreply 51October 7, 2023 9:09 AM

[quote] He was great in Soap Dish a truly fun movie that is now a bit non pc with its T character.

Translation: Back when the T's weren't humorless frankencunts.

by Anonymousreply 52October 7, 2023 3:29 PM

11 years too late to stop my buddy from making a huge mistake.

by Anonymousreply 53October 7, 2023 4:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!