Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New York is probably going to have to be forcibly depopulated within a couple of decades

They will need to convert huge areas into water retention facilities in order to preserve the city for the people who get to stay (the very wealthy).

Everyone else will have to go to Syracuse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 1, 2023 3:38 AM

Florida is in a more dire situation.

by Anonymousreply 1September 29, 2023 11:55 PM

Oh. A flood. In a coastal area.

Shocking.

Welcome to Club de la Mort.

by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2023 12:00 AM

While low lying areas of the Southeast are obviously in peril, don’t underestimate the immense damage a tropical rain climate will do to New York with its aged and underground infrastructure. New York City is exactly the same elevation as Miami. The water has to go somewhere. They need water retention ponds like they have in Florida. Large areas of the city will have to be cleared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2023 12:04 AM

Pussies

by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2023 12:10 AM

Why Syracuse?

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2023 12:17 AM

It's the only other city in New Yord that the OP knows off the top of her head.

by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2023 12:59 AM

Of course, OP, of course because it's totally logical that they would take some of the most expensive property in the entire world and just let it go underwater. For sure they're going to do that. Yessireebob.e

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2023 1:02 AM

Cripes. Ask the damn Dutch for some help

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2023 1:06 AM

Hush your mouth, R8! That would require them to say the word DIKE.

You know they can't do that, Rhonda Santis is watching.

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2023 1:11 AM

OP, that photo is disturbing. I’m surprised that glass hasn’t shattered from the pressure of the water against it.

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2023 1:46 AM

Shiracushe.

by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2023 1:48 AM

Shuffle off to Buffalo.

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2023 2:07 AM

Or op, a more likely solution is the update their fucking water and waste systems. A city like NYC needs to invest in more ways to transport their water.

by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2023 2:26 AM

Is that your house OP? Are you ok?

by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2023 2:28 AM

New York is in real trouble.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2023 3:42 AM

And the OG PBS series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2023 3:43 AM

Right then, we're off to Jersey City, Bayonne and Asbury Park.

We can make it if we run.

by Anonymousreply 17September 30, 2023 4:37 AM

This is a metaphor for a possible dystopic future: a rich people and some robots. Until the robots are enbued with the realization they are a new slave class. Then it's a Terminator World .

No, I am not normally this gloomy. But I do have these thoughts at the back of my head.

by Anonymousreply 18September 30, 2023 6:37 AM

Correction: should have been "a few rich people".

by Anonymousreply 19September 30, 2023 6:40 AM

Same r18

by Anonymousreply 20September 30, 2023 7:03 AM

Is Syracuse nice?

by Anonymousreply 21September 30, 2023 7:05 AM

[quote]Right then, we're off to Jersey City, Bayonne and Asbury Park.

I don't know about Bayonne, but Jersey City and Asbury had flooding yesterday too.

And don't get me started on Hoboken, where a dropped cup of coffee can cause a flood.

by Anonymousreply 22September 30, 2023 8:12 AM

Nonsense. It was just a little drizzle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 30, 2023 10:41 AM

R8 it’s the fault of the damn Dutch that New York is stuck here in the first place!

by Anonymousreply 24September 30, 2023 11:06 AM

Rapid climate change is taking away any regret or anxiety I’ve had about remaining childless.

by Anonymousreply 25September 30, 2023 11:12 AM

[quote]Everyone else will have to go to Syracuse.

Your empty threats mean NOTHING to me.

by Anonymousreply 26September 30, 2023 11:15 AM

r2, you'd be wrong. the flooding occurs as concrete, and tons of it are placed onto of rivers, streams and marshlands.

it is brooklyn that is fact a dire future as it, like a lot of manhattan and queens is nearly all marshland originally

by Anonymousreply 27September 30, 2023 11:24 AM

As mentioned the 842 million tons of building are pushing the island down BUT also big areas of the city are built on landfill. LaGuardia Airport for one and the area near the WTC for another, and such earth will naturally settle over time.

by Anonymousreply 28September 30, 2023 11:44 AM

In a couple of decades, I’ll hopefully be retired and living upstate anyway.

by Anonymousreply 29September 30, 2023 12:01 PM

Op, have you not heard of New Mannahatta?

Coming soon, after our deaths.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 30, 2023 12:09 PM

[quote] In a couple of decades, I’ll hopefully be retired and living upstate anyway.

If that's your plan you better start learning Spanish. By current trends In a couple of decades that will be the area's primary language.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 30, 2023 12:12 PM

R27, learn English and get back to us, you dolt.

by Anonymousreply 32September 30, 2023 12:21 PM

It’s so lucky we live in such a politically stable country and can work together at all levels of the govt and across political parties to fix massive and expensive problems like this.

by Anonymousreply 33September 30, 2023 12:22 PM

[quote] This is a metaphor for a possible dystopic future: a rich people and some robots.

I told y’all this two decades ago. “Oh no, the movie was too dark, I didn’t like it.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 30, 2023 3:03 PM

You're moving upstate? Great! Please tell Fluffy and Fido I send them my love. They're on a farm up there, living their best lives.

by Anonymousreply 35September 30, 2023 5:33 PM

Fine. Let them eat cake.

by Anonymousreply 36September 30, 2023 5:35 PM

What is that thing? Water?

by Anonymousreply 37September 30, 2023 5:37 PM

[quote] It’s so lucky we live in such a politically stable country and can work together at all levels of the govt and across political parties to fix massive and expensive problems like this.

The sarcasm duly noted, this is a large part of the problem that we will face as the challenges of climate change begin to overwhelm our resources. Even if we had a fully functioning government where everyone agreed that the climate crisis is real — which we don’t — we still face the daunting issue of where we allocate ever diminishing scarce funds and material. Floods here, fires there, hurricanes along the coast, drought in the heartland. Plus the additional migration crisis resulting from people affected by climate issues in countries around the globe where their governments are incapable of addressing the problems.

Sounds like the plot of a horror movie . . . .

by Anonymousreply 38September 30, 2023 5:59 PM

I’ve always wished they could take NYC and move it somewhere with a nicer climate.

by Anonymousreply 39September 30, 2023 6:13 PM

Yes NY in LA's location would be something magical r39. But instead we built a collection of strip malls there instead of a real city.

by Anonymousreply 40September 30, 2023 6:40 PM

Read it and weep

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 30, 2023 6:47 PM

R40. What do you the think the far east and west avenues in Manhattan are if not strip malls? Have you never stepped foot in any other borough? Come on…

by Anonymousreply 42September 30, 2023 7:31 PM

New York could have made a pretty good start on flood control with the money spent putting hundreds of thousands illegal invaders into free housing with free food, free phones, free pocket money, free legal assistance, free schooling, and free medical care.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 1, 2023 3:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!