Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sarah T: Portrait of a Teenage Alcoholic

A quintessential TV movie of the week that aired on NBC in February 1975.

It deal with the then too-awful-to-say-aloud problem of teenagers who were alcoholic.

Linda Blair, after all her Exorcist fame, stars as a 15 year old drunk who sneaks vodka to school and steals her parents booze.

Larry Hagman, who hadn't found his way to Dallas and JR Ewing yet, plays her boozing father.

Mark Hamill, who hadn't found his way to a Galaxy Far Far Away yet, plays her romantic interest who gets turned off by her drinking.

And Richard Donner, who hadn't found his way to The Omen or Superman yet, directs them all in a tight 95 minute movie that also captures a lot of the zeitgeist of the mid 70s.

Discuss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 26, 2023 9:35 PM

Trailer for the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 26, 2023 12:50 AM

It's dull. Just like its star.

by Anonymousreply 2September 26, 2023 12:51 AM

I prefer Dawn: Portrait Of a Teenage Runaway with Eve Plumb, or even the Charlene Tilton one about a teenage hitchhiker.

Special shoutout to Alexander: Portrait Of a Teenage (prostitute? Runway?)

by Anonymousreply 3September 26, 2023 12:54 AM

r3 Neither Dawn nor Alexander would have been made if Sarah hadn't proven there was an audience for such scandalous teenage topics.

by Anonymousreply 4September 26, 2023 12:56 AM

Sarah drank so Dawn could give blowjobs...

by Anonymousreply 5September 26, 2023 12:58 AM

Sarah T. seems like the prototype for an After School Special.

When did After School Specials start being made?

by Anonymousreply 6September 26, 2023 1:13 AM

She dazzled everyone at the teen drinking party with her rendition of Carole King's "It's too Late".

by Anonymousreply 7September 26, 2023 1:18 AM

Is this where we talk about The ABC Movie of the Week?

by Anonymousreply 8September 26, 2023 1:21 AM

R6 afterschool specials on ABC came first, by a few years.

by Anonymousreply 9September 26, 2023 1:22 AM

Sarah T. Is from the golden age of young adult problem novels. Go Ask Alice, Lisa Bright and Dark, the Late Great Me, etc.

by Anonymousreply 10September 26, 2023 1:22 AM

R3 He was the prime chicken of Selma Ave.

by Anonymousreply 11September 26, 2023 1:23 AM

r8 Here's the link to talk about ABC movies of the week. But he warned, the hall monitor over there will only allow discussion of ABC movies of the week. Nothing from other networks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 26, 2023 1:27 AM

I know I know

I was just stirrin’bup some trouble here🤕

by Anonymousreply 13September 26, 2023 1:28 AM

Sarah and her dad went to see Earthquake at the Village Theater in Westwood.

by Anonymousreply 14September 26, 2023 1:34 AM

I think it’s one of the best TV movies ever made and Linda Blair’s best performance.

by Anonymousreply 15September 26, 2023 1:34 AM

Mark Hamill was impressive in it.

by Anonymousreply 16September 26, 2023 1:35 AM

[quote]Sarah and her dad went to see Earthquake at the Village Theater in Westwood.

Sarah's dad snuck a six pack of beer into the theater.

Guess Sarah had been taking notes on how to be an alcoholic from him.

by Anonymousreply 17September 26, 2023 1:37 AM

The Expendables is playing at the Village Westwood right now

by Anonymousreply 18September 26, 2023 1:42 AM

It’s just such a treat to see anything made in the mid 70s.

by Anonymousreply 19September 26, 2023 1:45 AM

[quote]I prefer Dawn: Portrait Of a Teenage Runaway with Eve Plumb, or even the Charlene Tilton one about a teenage hitchhiker.

[quote]Special shoutout to Alexander: Portrait Of a Teenage (prostitute? Runway?)

Name of that movie was Alexander: The Other Side of Dawn.

by Anonymousreply 20September 26, 2023 1:52 AM

Blair's best performance by far was Born Innocent. I mean, how can you more realistically fake being raped with a broom handle?

by Anonymousreply 21September 26, 2023 1:54 AM

Everyone talked about that scene the next day at school…but in whispers (jr. high)

by Anonymousreply 22September 26, 2023 1:56 AM

R22 that scene caused a lawsuit to NBC when there was a copycat rape. As it turns out, the perpetrators didn't see the film but had heard about it from classmates. A lot of people who originally saw it think that penetration was shown, which of course is untrue. It remains one of the most horrific scenes ever on TV.

by Anonymousreply 23September 26, 2023 2:08 AM

The tv movie about Cloris Leachman and her VD sounds like it would have been more entertaining , if only unintentionally so.

by Anonymousreply 24September 26, 2023 2:23 AM

I remember Sarah T. ordering from the liquor store, then turning on the shower and when the deliveryman arrived she told him the order was for her mother, who was showering.

As a child I thought this brilliantly devious.

by Anonymousreply 25September 26, 2023 2:26 AM

Yes, that was brilliant, r25

That scene certainly gave me ideas.

by Anonymousreply 26September 26, 2023 2:57 AM

America's attitude toward teenage drinking was so much more relaxed in the 1970s than it is now. Teenage drinking wasn't that big a deal, especially if you were 16 and 17. Of course, in those days you could buy beer at age 18.

by Anonymousreply 27September 26, 2023 3:00 AM

The death of her boyfriend’s horse was pretty sad. Mark Hamill was good in this.

by Anonymousreply 28September 26, 2023 3:06 AM

Blair was no Lawson...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 26, 2023 3:14 AM

Honey, NO ONE is Lawson but Lawson!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 26, 2023 3:17 AM

Sarah T. certainly was on her way to being the 1990s version of Helen!

by Anonymousreply 31September 26, 2023 3:37 AM

[quote]Sarah drank so Dawn could give blowjobs...

There's a scene toward the end of the film where Sarah likely would have given a blowjob to get some booze.

She gives some young 20somethings money to buy her booze, promising she'll do anything for them if they will buy it for her. They buy it but then drink most of the vodka themselves, taunting her with the bottle but initially keeping it away from her. Finally they give her the bottle. But if they'd demanded blowjobs, she was so desperate, Sarah likely would have performed.

by Anonymousreply 32September 26, 2023 6:26 AM

R32, yes, Sarah was very much the gateway to oral sex on television. What Sarah started Eve finished and then swallowed.

by Anonymousreply 33September 26, 2023 4:23 PM

Why did someone who starred in a big box office movie like the Exorcist do a made for TV movie two years later?

by Anonymousreply 34September 26, 2023 5:28 PM

Because she was a shitty actress that no one wanted to hire.

by Anonymousreply 35September 26, 2023 5:55 PM

It was a prestige project: an NBC special movie event. It turned out to be a fairly big deal at the time…setting up Sarah T. Blair had trouble leveraging off that for various reasons.

by Anonymousreply 36September 26, 2023 6:03 PM

I remember Sarah T was a big event for students. I was in 8th grade when it aired. There were advance articles in the various magazines aimed at students. They really managed to hype it up into something important.

Our English teacher reminded us about the day it aired. We talked about it as a class the day after it aired.

by Anonymousreply 37September 26, 2023 9:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!