Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Former President Jimmy Carter makes appearance at peanut festival ahead of his 99th birthday

"Former President Jimmy Carter and his wife, Rosalynn, on Saturday made a surprise appearance at the Plains Peanut Festival in their Georgia hometown, the Carter Center wrote in a social media post on X, formerly known as Twitter..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 18, 2023 11:39 AM

Much love to the old timer.

by Anonymousreply 1September 25, 2023 12:17 AM

So not Sad Last Days? I thought they were both in hospice?!

by Anonymousreply 2September 25, 2023 12:27 AM

Jimmy loves his peanuts!!🥜🥜😘❤️😉 If that's what's keeping him alive,then more power to him and Mrs Carter!🙏🙏

by Anonymousreply 3September 25, 2023 9:24 AM

Surprise, bitch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 25, 2023 9:47 AM

Faker.

by Anonymousreply 5September 25, 2023 9:56 AM

He should challenge Joe in the primaries.

by Anonymousreply 6September 25, 2023 10:43 AM

Final tour.

by Anonymousreply 7September 25, 2023 10:46 AM

Why do US presidents and first ladies live so long? There's big jump in longevity after the Nixons (both of whom lived to 81).

Gerald & Betty Ford: both 93

Ronald Reagan: 93

Nancy Reagan: 94

GHW & Barbara Bush: both 94

Jimmy's nearly 99, and Rosalynn's 96

So that's eight unrelated people from different background who've lived to at least 93, which is far beyond the American life expectancy. (After that, you're on to the Bush Jrs and Clintons, who are only in their 70s.) Even accounting for excellent healthcare, that's crazy.

by Anonymousreply 8September 25, 2023 10:51 AM

[quote]So not Sad Last Days? I thought they were both in hospice?!

Can anyone explain why the family has been diligently painting a picture, for years, of the two as being seconds away from death even though they are very much alive and kicking? What's their angle?

by Anonymousreply 9September 25, 2023 10:57 AM

Love from the Yard

by Anonymousreply 10September 25, 2023 11:03 AM

Trolling, R9. You've got to do something for amusement at that age.

by Anonymousreply 11September 25, 2023 11:06 AM

Being in hospice does not necessarily mean you're bed ridden. For some it simply means you're under a level of end of life care at a place other than a hospital. The Carters are at a stage of life where the end could come today or many months from now and they're receiving the best care possible. The hospice people are just there to make their passings as easy as possible.

And one thing many people don't understand about many people at the end of their lives is that they have good days and bad days. My own late mother died of cancer. It took 3 months from the diagnosis and there were days she was unable to even get out of bed, and then she'd have days where she'd be up acting like her old self. Unfortunately those good days are insidious as they give the family and friends false hope

by Anonymousreply 12September 25, 2023 11:07 AM

r8 I always wonder if active presidents have access to high-end sleep aids, oxygen masks at night, etc to make sure they are as sharp and presentable as possible during the day? I know that Dump probably just ate big macs and pork rinds all night, which would explain a lot.

by Anonymousreply 13September 25, 2023 11:11 AM

Active POTUSes have access to whatever they need to keep them fit for the job. They have a whole retinue of people tending to their needs because the longer they're in office the longer those people have jobs.

by Anonymousreply 14September 25, 2023 11:22 AM

[quote] Can anyone explain why the family has been diligently painting a picture, for years, of the two as being seconds away from death

No one has done any such thing. The subject of his death has rarely come up until he and Roslyn went into hospice care. You clearly know nothing about the aged. You sound like some brain addled republican who only hears what he wants to hear, and when he doesn't hear what he wants to hear he just makes it all up.

by Anonymousreply 15September 25, 2023 11:25 AM

POTUSs live forever thanks highly trained, expert medical professionals like me!

by Anonymousreply 16September 25, 2023 11:39 AM

I'm amazed at the Carter's longevity and zest for life, even at this stage. I'm 70 and I literally feel happy every morning I actually wake up. My first waking thought in the morning is "okay, I made it another day, hip hip hooray!".

by Anonymousreply 17September 25, 2023 11:44 AM

Carter started building houses at 70 and did so for the next 25 years. Its like he literally had a second life with a career that lasted as long as most people do their whole life.

by Anonymousreply 18September 25, 2023 11:50 AM

It’s especially amazing that Jimmy Carter has lived this long since all of his siblings died at fairly young ages from cancer.

by Anonymousreply 19September 25, 2023 12:03 PM

Rosalynn is not in hospice care, Jimmy is. And hasn’t it been surmised that he chose hospice care not because he was at death’s door but because - in advance of the public disclosure of Rosalynn’s Alzheimer’s - he decided to forego future medical treatment so he could be home with his wife?

by Anonymousreply 20September 25, 2023 12:10 PM

Not only that, R19, but all his siblings - & his father - died relatively young of the same - pancreatic - cancer.

by Anonymousreply 21September 25, 2023 12:11 PM

It is amazing, R19. My Mom had three siblings, a sister and two brothers. My Mom and her two brothers are all dead from cancer and heart disease. They were in their early to mid 80s. Her sister -- the oldest -- is 96. She's in an assisted living home. All her life she had one illness or another that was supposed to do her in ("Poor ____!" was my grandmother's constant refrain). She has all her faculties, but "Woe is me" is a regular refrain.

Jimmy Carter was without doubt the most decent man to be POTUS in the past century. His life after office is an example without parallel of a life devoted to public service. He is completely unlike his successors to that office who to a man have all sought to enrich themselves from their time in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 22September 25, 2023 12:16 PM

[quote] Rosalynn is not in hospice care, Jimmy is

She may as well be. She has been diagnosed with dementia and is 96 years old. She could die before Jimmy.

by Anonymousreply 23September 25, 2023 5:40 PM

She could, R23. Age plus an inability to articulate things is a fatal combination. At the same time, my grandmother developed dementia at 96 and lived for another four years. Rosalynn Carter does seem very physically frail as well as having dementia, though, so you may well be right.

by Anonymousreply 24September 25, 2023 5:55 PM

I seriously doubt the hospice care nurses go into the Carter home daily and just completely ignore Rosalynn.

by Anonymousreply 25September 26, 2023 9:50 AM

Gonna hit 100!

by Anonymousreply 26September 26, 2023 10:21 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 17, 2023 7:51 PM

They really should go together.

by Anonymousreply 28November 17, 2023 8:16 PM

If Rosalynn predeceases him, maybe Jimmy will get out of hospice.

by Anonymousreply 29November 17, 2023 8:17 PM

Jimmy Carter in every way possible the anti-trump. And it starts even before their choice of military schools.

Most Americans alive today follow closer in the steps of trump as opposed to the steps of Carter.

by Anonymousreply 30November 18, 2023 11:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!