Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)

As part of our spooky movie discussion today, I have chosen Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Based on the operatic musical by Stephen Sondheim, the motion picture was directed by Tim Burton.

The film follows a barber who exacts revenge against the judge who locked him away so he could have his wife. Along the way he becomes a serial killer and sends the corpses to Mrs. Lovett, his accomplice, who uses the parts for her best selling meat pies.

Starring Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Sachs Baron Conan, Timothy Spall, Jamie Campbell Bower, Ed Sanders, Laura Michelle Kelly, Jayne Wisener, and ALAN RICKMAN.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 27, 2023 2:15 PM

Love the movie, but it does not hold a candle to the original cast- Len Cariou, Angela Lansbury, Victor Garber, Dennis Quilley, etc. They just can't be topped.

by Anonymousreply 1September 24, 2023 3:50 PM

The original Broadway Show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 24, 2023 3:52 PM

It is Sweeney Todd!

by Anonymousreply 3September 24, 2023 3:54 PM

Dreadful movie! Okay, maybe not dreadful, but absolutely dreadful compared to a decent production of the stage show.

The movie has great music badly sung, but it's slow, gray, and dull. The stage show is fast-moving and very funny, until the last act anyway, and the movie captured absolutely none of the show's humor and liveliness.

by Anonymousreply 4September 24, 2023 3:56 PM

R4 = Patti LuPone

by Anonymousreply 5September 24, 2023 3:57 PM

In the 2001 film From Hell, Johnny Depp stars as Frederick Abberline the lead investigator in the Jack the Ripper murders. In 1971's Hands of the Ripper, Eric Porter stars as psychiatrist Dr. John Pritchard who treats the daughter of Jack the Ripper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 24, 2023 3:59 PM

R4 really? I disagree, I thought the movie was fast paced and had some good humor.

by Anonymousreply 7September 24, 2023 3:59 PM

R7, have you seen a decent production of the stage show?

There are plenty on youtube, if you want to make a comparison.

by Anonymousreply 8September 24, 2023 4:31 PM

Love the movie more than the stage version. Gorgeous to look at and the leads are great.

by Anonymousreply 9September 24, 2023 4:35 PM

The movie is currently free to watch on YouTube:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 24, 2023 4:39 PM

It is a fun movie!

by Anonymousreply 11September 24, 2023 7:03 PM

They tried to hide the fact that it was a musical when they promoted the movie. It made for some very unhappy moviegoers.

by Anonymousreply 12September 24, 2023 7:09 PM

R12 How do people not know Sweeney Todd is a musical?

by Anonymousreply 13September 24, 2023 7:10 PM

I saw the Broadway version with Josh Groban and Annaleigh Ashford last month.

I thought Groban was very much miscast. He hasn't an ounce of gravitas like Len Cariou or George Hearn did. What were they thinking? Aren't there other stars who could have fit the bill?

Ashford was very 'twee and cutesy', but certainly handled the score and choreo very well. She had a few good comic moments too, so I got past my misgivings in the end.

by Anonymousreply 14September 24, 2023 7:12 PM

R14 Yeah, she's no Angela Lansbury and Groban is no Cariou/Hearn. Who is the Judge? Don't he was on Dennis Quilley's level.

by Anonymousreply 15September 24, 2023 7:17 PM

R15, the judge (Jamie Jackson) was fantastic. He had the right level of entitlement, creepiness and scariness. John Rapson was pretty good as Beadle too.

by Anonymousreply 16September 24, 2023 7:21 PM

R16 perfect. Any with Mid-Atlantic accents?

by Anonymousreply 17September 24, 2023 7:34 PM

Just Ruth Chatterton, r17.

by Anonymousreply 18September 24, 2023 7:48 PM

R18 I don't think she was in Sweeney Todd

by Anonymousreply 19September 24, 2023 7:50 PM

r9=Helen Keller

by Anonymousreply 20September 24, 2023 8:41 PM

[quote]How do people not know Sweeney Todd is a musical?

How do people not know Trump is a conman, hypocrite, criminal, liar, thief ...

by Anonymousreply 21September 24, 2023 8:42 PM

HBC stunk to high heaven in this. She can't sing and brought very little humor to the role.

by Anonymousreply 22September 26, 2023 1:01 PM

She was specifically directed not to, r22.

To me, the greatest omission is the chorus.

by Anonymousreply 23September 26, 2023 1:05 PM

[quote]She can't sing and brought very little humor to the role.

Oh wow. When is she next free?

by Anonymousreply 24September 26, 2023 1:57 PM

Denis Quilley was not in the original cast. He sang the part of Sweeney in the London cast.

by Anonymousreply 25September 26, 2023 2:07 PM

The movie had to be shortened quite a bit because Johnny Depp’s daughter became seriously ill and was hospitalized in London for awhile; production shut down temporarily. Unfortunately the chorus was cut out because of that (if I recall correctly.)

That Liliy-Rose recovered is why Depp does (or did) a lot of appearances as Captain Jack in the hospital she was in.

by Anonymousreply 26September 26, 2023 2:56 PM

Did she get into his stash?

by Anonymousreply 27September 26, 2023 3:00 PM

R25 I thought he was Judge Turpin in the original. Maybe a later addition. But I remember him singing Turpin with Angela and maybe Hearn as Sweeney

by Anonymousreply 28September 26, 2023 3:52 PM

Toni Collett wanted & audition endlessly for the movie only to have burton’s wife get the part. I thought she would’ve been great.

by Anonymousreply 29September 26, 2023 4:07 PM

r28 He played Turpin in the 1993 National Theatre revival, with Alun Armstrong and Julia McKenzie (and then took over as Todd)

by Anonymousreply 30September 26, 2023 4:23 PM

I love this movie. I've also seen the filmed 1982 stage version with Angela Lansbury and of course, how are you going to top that, but I LOVE the Burton/Depp film.

by Anonymousreply 31September 26, 2023 4:28 PM

The movie is terrible. Depp can't sing. Helena looks and acts like she wishes she were somewhere else. The whole movie is flat looking - weirdly blue the whole time. Typical Tim Burton dollhouse bullshit.

I happened to like Groban. He played Sweeney like a schlub - a little, beaten down man. Not the personification of vengeance. Honestly, that makes more sense. Sweeney is a small man, ground down by powers greater than him. It sort of never made sense to me that he should be this big, powerful person.

by Anonymousreply 32September 26, 2023 4:38 PM

Tim Burton ALWAYS casts his significant other in his films, and for ages he cast his pal Depp in everything as well, and that was a bad, lazy habit that dragged his films down.

He was with Bonham Carter at the time so he cast her even though she couldn't sing at all, she's both lifeless in the role and hopeless with the difficult score, but hey! Having her around made him happy so what if she stunk up the screen! Seriously, Burton has gotten lazy as a director, and this film shows the decline.

by Anonymousreply 33September 26, 2023 10:37 PM

Groban does a nuanced, complex Sweeney who evolves over the course of the show….and it just doesn’t work.

by Anonymousreply 34September 26, 2023 10:44 PM

[quote]I've also seen the filmed 1982 stage version with Angela Lansbury and of course, how are you going to top that?

Seeing Lansbury on stage in 1979 with Cariou.

by Anonymousreply 35September 26, 2023 11:20 PM

Honestly, Angie's corny Cockney accent is borderline incomprehensible. Believe it or not, Emma Thompson was amazing as Mrs. Lovett. Maria Friedman (who's production of MERRILY is breaking box office records right now) also does a great job.

by Anonymousreply 36September 27, 2023 2:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!