Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

San Jose Mom Loses Arms and Legs After Eating Fish Contaminated with Flesh-Eating Bacteria

Laura Barajas had all four limbs amputated after contracting the aggressive bacteria Vibrio vulnificus, likely from undercooked tilapia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 29, 2023 6:59 AM

JFC.

I hate tilapia, anyway. It's a nasty fish.

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2023 10:18 PM

Tilapia is a bottom feeder so if you undercook it or ceviche it (which I suspect may have been the case) you're not too bright.

That's a sad way to almost die, not sure I'd want to live after that.

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2023 10:20 PM

Fucking hell.

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2023 10:20 PM

oh my god what if her nose itches. that's terrible

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2023 10:22 PM

My grandma told me to cook all meat to shoe leather. She was right. Undercooked meat of any kind is extremely dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2023 10:23 PM

I call BS on this whole entire story. Nobody can just lose their arms and legs. They’re right there dangling from your torso!!!

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2023 10:23 PM

They fell off at the restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2023 10:24 PM

If u knew there was even 0.1% of this happening if u ate a certain food WHO needs that saud food THAT badly? I feel incredibly shocked and distressed this could and has happened. Beyond sad..and I too dunno if I'd rather just have died. 😒

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2023 10:35 PM

OMG!! Nobody regularly has tilapia on the menu, do they? Isn’t it always just the daily special for whatever piece of frozen fish that they found floating around the bottom of the freezer? Then they put in on the menu as the “tilapia” special to pawn it off on someone?

She lost all four of her limbs trying to save a few bucks by ordering the daily special?? This is HORRIFYING.

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2023 10:37 PM

Tilapia is a horrible fish and I suspect often switched out for other fish on restaurant menus because it's cheap.

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2023 10:57 PM

R5, a friend who regularly travels to India only eats vegetarian food when over there. Doesn't seem to get sick.

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2023 11:13 PM

What language is R8 using? Get Vibrio and die, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2023 11:15 PM

My boyfriend told me to NEVER eat this fish. And I never have. Doing jumping jacks right now…

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2023 11:19 PM

[quote]My grandma told me to cook all meat to shoe leather. She was right. Undercooked meat of any kind is extremely dangerous.

Darling, rare meat is good for you. The doctor said so. R5, the meat loses all its vitamins when it's overcooked.

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2023 11:28 PM

I guess she's gonna need someone to draw on her eyebrows.

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2023 11:56 PM

My sweet Angel :(

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2023 11:58 PM

Same thing happened to me after I ate Rosie O'Donnell's pussy.

by Anonymousreply 17September 19, 2023 12:31 AM

How horrible. I would rather be dead.

by Anonymousreply 18September 19, 2023 1:16 AM

That photo is giving trashy Trump supporter vibes.

by Anonymousreply 19September 19, 2023 1:21 AM

Heartbreaking, horrific, tragedy. I wonder if they left part of the limbs (like at elbow or knees) that would allow her some function and maybe prosthetics.

by Anonymousreply 20September 19, 2023 1:31 AM

She could learn to play the piano with her nose, like that chicken who pecked at the keys.

by Anonymousreply 21September 19, 2023 1:34 AM

Tilapia is a bottom feeder and also most of it is farm-raised and has a lot of toxins. Avoid it at all costs.

by Anonymousreply 22September 19, 2023 1:37 AM

When I became a vegetarian in my early 30s, fish was the first thing I gave up. I loved it when I was a kid, but it really just started grossing me out to eat it. The final straw was a REALLY nasty piece of catfish. Never again. Chicken, especially with bones, similarly grossed me out.

I sometimes miss a pork filet or maybe a good steak—not enough to eat either again—but I don’t miss fish or chicken at all.

Tilapia does seem to be on a lot of menus these days. I didn’t know it was basically a “trash fish”.

by Anonymousreply 23September 19, 2023 2:03 AM

at least she still has her lips!

by Anonymousreply 24September 19, 2023 2:59 AM

To suck some good dick

by Anonymousreply 25September 19, 2023 3:01 AM

I bet she never eats Tilapia again.

by Anonymousreply 26September 19, 2023 3:14 AM

[quote] I bet she never eats Tilapia again.

She can't.

Unless someone feeds it to her.

by Anonymousreply 27September 19, 2023 3:17 AM

Tilapia are crawling with bacteria because they are literally fed shit.

[quote]Research from the Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future revealed the gory details of disease-ridden fish farms in Asia, where pig and chicken feces serve as a cheaper alternative to standard fish food ... only 2 percent of imported seafood to the United States is actually tested for contamination.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 19, 2023 3:23 AM

Only eat fresh caught from local fishers is what I've heard. Anything from Asia is raised in ditches of shit including shrimp and crawfish.

by Anonymousreply 29September 19, 2023 3:39 AM

I've stopped eating chicken for the most part as well and I'm not sure why. But broiling thighs was a major part of my diet but it started to disgust me.

by Anonymousreply 30September 19, 2023 3:42 AM

Tilapia grossed me out quite a while ago. If I were that woman I would have rather them let me die on a morphine drip.

by Anonymousreply 31September 19, 2023 3:44 AM

To lose one limb is forgivable but to lose all four seems like negligence

by Anonymousreply 32September 19, 2023 3:45 AM

I remember when I used to get meal services delivered. Very expensive, but I was trying to lose weight and do better nutritionally. They would serve me tilapia and I sent them an email which said- for what I'm paying you, you can do better than that. It's disgusting and it tastes terrible.

by Anonymousreply 33September 19, 2023 3:58 AM

Back in the late 70s / early 80s when you still needed to sign up for Selective Service (aka The Draft) my older brother would tell my mother if he got drafted and sent to a war zone and lost his arms and legs, she could keep him in the kitchen cupboard. The visual has always stayed with me.

by Anonymousreply 34September 19, 2023 4:13 AM

Apparently this same bacteria killed three people up northeast this year. Just another gift courtesy of our warming ocean waters.

I wonder if she was immunocompromised?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 19, 2023 4:28 AM

Seriously? If that happens to me, just kill me. Don't amputate all my limbs and then leave me to suffer for the rest of my life. Just kill me. Or just manage my pain until I die from it. I don't want to live like that.

by Anonymousreply 36September 19, 2023 4:37 AM

How does she wash her dirty cooter?

by Anonymousreply 37September 19, 2023 6:16 AM

^Britney

by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2023 6:44 AM

[quote]Apparently this same bacteria killed three people up northeast this year. Just another gift courtesy of our warming ocean waters.

Let's see: Would I prefer to die from it or have my arms and legs amputated? Pretty easy choice, as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 39September 19, 2023 8:18 AM

Has anyone mentioned tilapia is a bottom feeder? I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world who knows that.

by Anonymousreply 40September 19, 2023 8:31 AM

I used to eat Basa until I realized that it's a bottom feeder native to Vietnam, and raised in really dirty rivers, like the Mekong. I pretty much limit my fish meals to Salmon these days.....

by Anonymousreply 41September 19, 2023 8:53 AM

Looks like she still has her fivehead, thank the Lord.

by Anonymousreply 42September 19, 2023 5:55 PM

She lost her eyebrows as well

by Anonymousreply 43September 19, 2023 6:25 PM

BUT WAS THE FISH OK?

by Anonymousreply 44September 19, 2023 6:26 PM

This is why you should never eat any frozen fish from Trader Joe’s. It’s farmed in Thailand downriver from the lithium battery factories.

by Anonymousreply 45September 19, 2023 6:28 PM

Throw her in the pool and call her Bobbie.

by Anonymousreply 46September 19, 2023 6:40 PM

Why are they trying to make tilapia happen? It’s the culinary equivalent of an industry plant.

by Anonymousreply 47September 19, 2023 6:58 PM

I was at the sushi bar at Whole foods the other night; I opted for avocado and rice; I don't need to risk uncooked fish; I saw a guy walking by me last night and he had those bend metal things below his needs for calves and feet; he didn't have calves and feet

I'm bitching about money and no b.f.

Lord thanks for the perspective.

by Anonymousreply 48September 19, 2023 7:01 PM

[quote]She lost her eyebrows as well

The poison also made her lips swell up.

by Anonymousreply 49September 19, 2023 7:06 PM

Look at it this way - she can get a job as home plate.

by Anonymousreply 50September 19, 2023 8:44 PM

R50 stop it! 🤭

by Anonymousreply 51September 19, 2023 11:03 PM

Not sure anyone else here realizes this, but Tilapia is a bottom-feeding fish.

by Anonymousreply 52September 19, 2023 11:26 PM

Omg! I live in San Jose! This coulda been me!

by Anonymousreply 53September 19, 2023 11:28 PM

Lay her at the front door and call her Matt

by Anonymousreply 54September 19, 2023 11:49 PM

[quote] The poison also made her lips swell up

Think of the money she'll save on lip fillers!

by Anonymousreply 55September 20, 2023 12:18 AM

I wonder if Greg has ever made tilapia with prunes.

by Anonymousreply 56September 20, 2023 12:24 AM

I wish Gerg got vibrio, then we’d finally be spared. :(

by Anonymousreply 57September 20, 2023 12:31 AM

Thanks, OP, I wasn't planning to sleep tonight anyway

by Anonymousreply 58September 20, 2023 12:33 AM

Isn't lobster also a bottom feeder?

by Anonymousreply 59September 20, 2023 12:38 AM

I do fear that sushi and sashimi shall become banned within my lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 60September 20, 2023 12:49 AM

I volunteered in a school in Thailand and they fed the children tilapia for lunch every day. The entire fish lying on a plate. Some of the kids liked eating the eyeballs. It looked pretty well cooked though. The kids in the village swam in the filthy agricultural canals so I worried about that more than eating tiliapia, which I didn't even know at the time was a bottom feeding fish. Has that been mentioned yet?

by Anonymousreply 61September 20, 2023 12:53 AM

I still love sushi and sashimi though I know it might do something terrible to me some day. Isn't the Pacific now filled with all that radioactive waste from Japan?

by Anonymousreply 62September 20, 2023 12:54 AM

Tilapia is a bottom feeder is the Dyatlov pass of 2023

by Anonymousreply 63September 20, 2023 1:37 AM

I have to confess that I’m a bottom feeder and it hasn’t harmed me yet.

by Anonymousreply 64September 20, 2023 8:30 AM

[quote] I wonder if Greg has ever made tilapia with prunes.

No, of course not.

It’s a bottom feeder.

The very idea.

by Anonymousreply 65September 20, 2023 11:36 AM

Tilapia (catfish, lobster, etc.): It's not the where it eats; it's the what. Farmed = feces.

Raw oysters, sushi, etc.: Are you nuts?

Mussels and snails: What's the source?

Bacteria that eat your brain. Bacteria that destroy your flesh. Bacteria that poisons.

Warm water. Brackish water. Polluted water.

Ya pays yer money,....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 20, 2023 2:17 PM

And climate change is only making things worse…as the oceans become warmer, more pathogens will be released into the waters. Pathogens that could not survive in cooler temperatures are now becoming more prevalent. We have to adapt somehow.

by Anonymousreply 67September 20, 2023 2:21 PM

Easy-peasy, r67: Don't eat water creatures.

by Anonymousreply 68September 20, 2023 2:25 PM

[quote] This is why you should never eat any frozen fish from Trader Joe’s. It’s farmed in Thailand downriver from the lithium battery factories

Not being snarky, but how do you know this? I get their cod and now I’m nervous.

by Anonymousreply 69September 20, 2023 2:42 PM

The bacteria should've eaten those lips instead.

by Anonymousreply 70September 20, 2023 3:25 PM

It's everywhere;

When I lived in Jacksonville - which is it's own version of hell - they tried to quash all the cases stemming from people swimming in the St. Johns River (don't want to rattle the tourists), but the word got out. Now it's front page news.

[quote]Earlier in the month, Professor Anthony Oullette of Jacksonville University led a class of three students on a mission to survey bacteria levels of the St. Johns River. The group navigated the river on a pontoon boat, collecting samples, and what they found may seem shocking. The study revealed that 4 out of 6 sites tested positive for multiple variants of Vibrios. Two such sampling locations tested positive for Vibrio vulnificus, a type of flesh-eating bacteria, and a third tested positive for both Vibrio vulnificus and Vibrio parahaemolyticus, which can cause serious gastrointestinal illness. A fourth site tested positive for Vibrio, but not any of the three pathogenic kinds.

[quote]A health alert has been issued by The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in response to reports of a fatal bacterial infection that thrives in warm coastal waters. The Vibrio vulnificus bacteria can be found in raw or undercooked seafood, saltwater and brackish water. The most common way to become infected is when an open wound comes into contact with vibrio bacteria in water. At least a dozen people have died from the infection across the country this year.

[quote]About 80,000 people get vibrio infections each year. Of those infected, about 100 people will die from the infection annually in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

[quote]As ocean waters warm because of climate change, the Vibrio vulnificus is migrating north, studies have found

by Anonymousreply 71September 20, 2023 3:44 PM

R11, I’ve spent a lot of time in India over the years.

Your friend has just been lucky so far. Lots of Indian vegetarians get food poisoning. Obviously, they don’t get vibrio (yet) but you can get salmonella from flour anywhere, and vegetables always need to be cooked thoroughly to kill the pathogens they harbor.

Salad (as we know it), carrot sticks, etc., aren’t really a thing over there.

by Anonymousreply 72September 20, 2023 3:52 PM

DL has broken my brain so much that I thought this was a Erna/stinkfish thread.

by Anonymousreply 73September 20, 2023 4:42 PM

He was later diagnosed with eosinophilic meningo-encephalitis contracted from rat lungworm which is usually found in rodents [but] snails and slugs can also be infected when they eat rat faeces.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 21, 2023 12:05 AM

I mean he definitely deserves it

by Anonymousreply 75September 21, 2023 12:07 AM

R75 That's terrible. He probably assumed it was similar to eating a garden snail.

by Anonymousreply 76September 21, 2023 12:16 AM

R76, if a garden snail had eaten faeces form a rat infected with lungworm it could have been as bad.

French restaurants, etc must use farmed snails.

by Anonymousreply 77September 21, 2023 12:36 AM

Sorry, but she's more chola than mom.

by Anonymousreply 78September 21, 2023 12:46 AM

[quote] Mystery surrounding illness deepens for San Jose woman who lost limbs

(KRON) — A San Jose mother who underwent a quadruple amputation earlier this month after eating tilapia fish remains in a hospital, and her illness is now a mystery.

Laura Barajas, 40, was not sickened by Vibrio, public health officials said Wednesday.

Barajas’ close friend, Anna Messina, previously told KRON4 that an infection that led to the amputations was likely caused by Vibrio.

Barajas purchased tilapia in July from a local market in San Jose and cooked it for dinner. “Little did she know that this simple act would change her life forever. The following day, Laura realized something was terribly wrong, and she was diagnosed with Vibrio,” Messina wrote. “On September 13, 2023 all four of Laura’s limbs had to be removed in order to save her life.”

Santa Clara County Public Health Department officials learned of the case through news media reports, and they found the hospitalized patient on Tuesday.

SCCPHD wrote, “Preliminary information has now been received regarding this individual, confirming that no laboratory tests are positive for Vibrio. Several different diseases including but not limited to Vibrio can cause tragic clinical outcomes like this one. Public Health is actively investigating to confirm if a cause of this illness can be identified.”

The county’s public health department monitors local medical providers and laboratories for any unusual infections and diseases. “Public Health investigates reports of suspected Vibrio each year to prevent potential risks to the public,” SCCPHD wrote.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a Vibrio bacterial infection can be caused by eating raw or undercooked fish, or by exposing an open wound to coastal waters.

Messina says she and Barajas’ family are still waiting to learn more about what happened.

A GoFundMe page for Barajas has raised more than $111,000 in donations. On Monday, Messina wrote that “Laura is healing well and looking forward to moving out of the ICU into another room at the hospital.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 22, 2023 7:16 PM

Yuck. How awful. Glad I don’t like fish.

by Anonymousreply 80September 22, 2023 7:43 PM

R79 Figures. Anna “Messina”—née Rosenberg—is one of the legendary fabulists of San Jose.

by Anonymousreply 81September 23, 2023 7:02 AM

R80 We know, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 82September 23, 2023 7:02 AM

If it wasn't vibrio, it might not have been the fish, but something else she ate. Even so, I'm not a fan of tilapia. However, when you order fish in an Asian restaurant, that is the most common kind

by Anonymousreply 83September 23, 2023 8:40 AM

[quote]Santa Clara County Public Health Department officials learned of the case through news media reports, and they found the hospitalized patient on Tuesday.

Shouldn't the hospital have contacted the Department of Health with this information?

by Anonymousreply 84September 23, 2023 10:09 AM

Which bottom-feeder is worse--tilapia or catfish?

by Anonymousreply 85September 23, 2023 10:26 AM

You’re telling me a bottom fed this fish?

by Anonymousreply 86September 23, 2023 10:30 AM

Fish ate Fish story.

by Anonymousreply 87September 23, 2023 11:02 AM

She still has tits and holes.

by Anonymousreply 88September 23, 2023 11:32 AM

Im also wondering why it took over 2 months for the health department to be aware of this if the hospital knew that serious illness was caused by something she ate. I mean having the runs is one thing but flesh eating bacteria is another

by Anonymousreply 89September 23, 2023 11:50 AM

Did she also gain an extra forehead?

by Anonymousreply 90September 23, 2023 12:21 PM

Bummer.

by Anonymousreply 91September 23, 2023 1:28 PM

But, how will she hug her son after football games?

by Anonymousreply 92September 23, 2023 1:58 PM

She bought the fish at a market and cooked it herself. Some people at the beginning of the thread were under the impression that she ate the fish at a restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 93September 23, 2023 2:10 PM

Clearly there's a war on against Asian grocers!

by Anonymousreply 94September 23, 2023 2:51 PM

If this bacteria would just go vegan the world would be such a better place! So gross!

by Anonymousreply 95September 23, 2023 2:57 PM

I have a lot of sensitivities and allergies to fish, so I'm very careful of the type of fish and the source. All tilapia are basically farm raised, which I avoid at all cost.

by Anonymousreply 96September 23, 2023 2:57 PM

I always buy my fish frozen…is that safer? My foodie friends wax poetic about freshly caught seafood…starting to wonder…

by Anonymousreply 97September 25, 2023 7:17 PM

I had a patient once who’d had all 4 limbs amputated. She’d developed DIC in childbirth. She was placed on levophed which is a strong vasoconstrictor. The point was to constrict blood vessels so her brain and central nervous system could continue functioning and it pretty much shut down the smaller blood vessels supplying the limbs. No blood supply = gangrene = amputation.

They were constantly trying to find new blood vessels to tap into for a Hickman-type catheter to supply her with medication needed to keep her alive. It was very sad.

I don’t know what became of her after that

by Anonymousreply 98September 25, 2023 9:29 PM

[quote]The CDC issued an emergency alert at the end of August urging healthcare providers to consider Vibrio as a potential cause of infections, as warming sea waters are encouraging growth of the bacteria.

Brutal and now I'm afraid of eating sushi.

by Anonymousreply 99September 25, 2023 9:54 PM

I think of lakes and ponds where people used to enjoy going swimming and which were cold and refreshing. And now you hear of bacteria getting into people's noses and going up into the brain and killing them.

by Anonymousreply 100September 25, 2023 11:21 PM

Ok, R98

by Anonymousreply 101September 25, 2023 11:45 PM

Bacteria where the water goes up into the man?

by Anonymousreply 102September 26, 2023 12:18 AM

R100, those stories have been around foe decades, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 103September 26, 2023 4:36 AM

This is so tragic. I hope she grows her limbs back soon

by Anonymousreply 104September 26, 2023 4:40 AM

Tilapia is a bottom feeder fish. I avoid it. So should the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 105September 26, 2023 5:50 AM

Aren't oysters as well which are making people sick?

by Anonymousreply 106September 26, 2023 11:29 AM

[quote]I always buy my fish frozen…is that safer?

YES! That's actually what most restaurants do to kill off any nasty parasites, worms and whatnot. Even if they say today's fish was fresh caught. What they don't say is, Yeah, caught a few days ago fresh and flash frozen. So your snotty friends who think they are getting fish caught that day, really risking their lives if it has not been frozen overnight.

by Anonymousreply 107September 26, 2023 11:43 AM

[quote]Tilapia is a bottom feeder fish. I avoid it. So should the rest of us.

I hate Tilapia, but I love shrimp and lobster which are also bottom feeders. Delicious. But then they come from the Ocean so not as dirty as a small lake.

by Anonymousreply 108September 26, 2023 11:46 AM

**BEARKING** The torso was removed also. Please put her on your Prayer List.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 26, 2023 11:55 AM

Jan in the pan!

by Anonymousreply 110September 26, 2023 11:57 AM

OP- It’s not proper English to say -

Mom Loses Arms And Legs

next time say

MOTHER loses arms and legs

by Anonymousreply 111September 26, 2023 12:51 PM

Vibrio vulnificus must be reported to the Health Department within a day of diagnosis. There was no trace of it in the victim which is why it wasn't reported. It appears the victim's friend who started the GoFundMe page was confused.

There is a woman in the hospital matching the description in the story and the Heath Department says there are several other disorders and diseases which could result in limb amputation. A majority of limb amputations are from diabetes complications and peripheral artery disease (PAD). Another possibility is sepsis.

by Anonymousreply 112September 26, 2023 2:55 PM

And DIC

by Anonymousreply 113September 26, 2023 3:18 PM

Is she getting her beef curtain licked

by Anonymousreply 114September 29, 2023 6:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!