Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anyone here do Keto?

I just started a few days ago, pretty strictly too, calculating macros and everything, I have to say, I feel great and already lost 2.5 pounds so thats good. You do have to put so much more thought in what you buy and planning meals and everything which is a bit of a pain in the ass (also its pretty expensive) but so far it seems worth it, if I keep loosing weight that is.

Anyway, anyone try this and if so what have been your experiences?

by Anonymousreply 33September 27, 2023 5:20 PM

Keto makes your pussy dry.

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2023 3:56 PM

No, but I did Kato several times.

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2023 3:57 PM

It's hard on your kidneys. Stay hydrated.

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2023 3:59 PM

I’ve done an older version of keto off and on for years. Keep carbs under 50 grams per day, emphasize adding lots of good fats to foods, eat non-root or tuber veggies and lots of proteins, and stay away from “frankenfoods” that are processed/packaged. (Even if they’re labeled as keto friendly.) It’s how I maintain a healthy weight. And, as an elder gay in my early 50’s, it is glaringly obvious when I’m not eating on plan. Why? Because suddenly everything aches in the morning, my energy drops, and my mood darkens a bit. I have arthritis. It’s genetic - my grandma, my older sister, and my dad all had/have it. And I have a plate in my ankle from a severe fracture. But I don’t have any joint pain - as long as I stay on plan. Blood work is all normal and has been for years.

Which begs the question: so many people my age complain about aches and pains and take all kinds of meds…are they just eating carby/junky foods which are causing inflammation, and their bodies are complaining?

Anyway, good luck and good job on the weight loss. Read as much as you can from lots of different sources, including keto/Atkins forums, to become well informed and knowledgeable.

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2023 4:08 PM

[quote]Keto makes your pussy dry.

Did that help with the stench?

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2023 4:21 PM

Keto is a scam, it puts you in a good range of CICO and makes you think you’re losing weight for different reasons

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2023 4:33 PM

Thanks for the advice R4 I am already obsesively looking at everything I can find about Keto. Hopefully the trajectory continues on the right path. I even splurged and bought a food balance to make sure I know what I'm eating.

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2023 5:39 PM

I lost weight on that, with half a grapefruit or juice before each meal. There is something about grapefruit that fires up metabolism. I can’t eat it anymore because of hypertension meds.

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2023 6:44 PM

So keto people, what are you actually eating? Lots of avocadoes? I'm not attacking, just curious.

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2023 6:49 PM

[quote]...but so far it seems worth it, if I keep loosing weight that is.

Oh, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2023 7:06 PM

I’ve done Keto before. It works but it is hard to maintain long-term. Most of the weight you lose is actually water weight. It’s also bad for your kidneys and causes you to lose muscle mass.

I’ve been counting calories and exercising more and I’ve lost weight (actual fat not just water weight) while still eating carbs.

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2023 7:10 PM

I’ve tried Keto a couple of times but staying off bread, pasta and rice is tough. I just have smaller portions of carbs and it’s been working well.

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2023 9:10 PM

R11 I don't plan to do it super long term but I have about 50 pounds to lose and once I lose 30 (god willing) I will switch it to a normal low calorie and exercise diet (I'm already exercising daily anyway). I just need to kick start the weight loss, and it does seem to go faster than normail diets.

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2023 2:45 AM

i do ketamine

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2023 2:51 AM

R9 Lots of fatty foods and meats (preferably healthy ones but anything goes really),seafood and fish, lots of (non starchy) veggies, avocados, certain nuts, eggs, bacon, cheese, butter, lots of oil.

Its more what you can't eat, anything with sugar (added or otherwise, this includes most fruits) anything made from grains or beans or legumes (though a small amount of peas are allowed) breads are obviously out, anything with flour (other than keto flours like almond/coconut etc) . The idea for strict keto is to not eat more than 20 grams of net carbohidrates a day.

If you have a diet where you intake a low level of calories from carbs your metabolism goes straight to burning fat calories which tend to burn much faster than carb calories, hence a more rapid weight loss.

Though it's not quite as simple as just not eating carbs, you have to also watch how much protein you eat. Basically 65% of your calorie intake has to come from fats, 25% from protein and 10% from carbs, give or take a few from each category.

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2023 3:01 AM

Also, fat satiates you much more quickly so you really do start feeling less and less hungry when that's primarily what you eat.

by Anonymousreply 16September 19, 2023 3:13 AM

The single most helpful thing I learned about weight loss while I was shedding 35 pounds is that fat leaves the body as a gas that is exhaled.

The body is performing complex chemical actions when it gives up fat. You won’t continue to lose weight at the rate you are now because what you’re losing right now is mainly water.

You have to be patient to lose fat and you have to change deeply rooted habits that may have guided your food and exercise choices all your life. If you can’t permanently sustain the behaviors you followed to take the weight off, it just comes back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 19, 2023 4:05 AM

R17 well I gained all my weight in about 3 years...3 years that started with me quitting smoking, then going to Paris for 3 months where I obviously ate lots of goodies and then a few months later BAM covid and lockdowns. That was my death sentence. I also started drinking more, weirdly enough to calm my cigarette cravings. Of course it didnt help that I hit my 40s 3 years ago which is when yoyr metabolism gies to shit. Before that I was always slim, not skinny but slim...just very average.

So it's less about bad eating habits I had all my life (though of course I have them, who doesnt) and alot about shitty circumstances and bad timing. Though one thing I have definitely changed is exercise, that was non existent to me before 40, now I do it every day. I feel I'm going to have to to compensate for my slower 40 year old metabolism.

And I know the weight loss will plateau at some point, I was told that doing one meal a day or intermittent fasting would kick start it again, so I guess I will try that.

by Anonymousreply 18September 19, 2023 4:30 AM

R13 Once you switch back even minimal carbs you’ll most likely gain weight back and the fat will be harder to lose the 2nd time around because your body thinks it’s been in starvation mode (keto is basically your body’s way of surviving during a famine).

Keto is fast but it’s not worth it in the long run. There are no short cuts to weight loss.

by Anonymousreply 19September 19, 2023 5:27 AM

R19 its not a shortcut.....you think cutting out carbs and sugar completely, exercising every day , jotting down everything I eat and all of the macros, spending 3 times as much in groceries and counting my calories every day is easy?

Not to be blunt but just because you failed at it doesn't mean I will.

by Anonymousreply 20September 19, 2023 5:37 AM

Keto works. I’ve been on it for 9 years. Lost every pound and kept it off.

by Anonymousreply 21September 19, 2023 6:03 AM

R16, it has more to do with insulin and blood sugar which doesn’t spike. Cutting carbs has always made people less hungry. You’re right about fat but it’s more to do with cortisol.

by Anonymousreply 22September 19, 2023 6:06 AM

[quote]Most of the weight you lose is actually water weight.

In the first week.

by Anonymousreply 23September 19, 2023 6:07 AM

I’ve lost 17kg / 38lbs on it and kept it off for three years. That was not ALL water weight… c’mon.

by Anonymousreply 24September 19, 2023 6:10 AM

From what I read, going off keto doesnt mean you will gain all the weight back (though yes, you will probably gain back some water weight at first) if you use common sense. That is, if you go back to the diet you've always had full of unhealthy carbs and fat , of course you're going to gain it all back, but if you count calories and make sure you still have a deficit, get carbs back slowly (and obviously healthy whole carbs, not refined) and exercise, then it should be fine. Alot of people say transitioning to a paleo diet after keto makes things easier too.

by Anonymousreply 25September 19, 2023 6:30 AM

What a pussy. Lose weight the old fashion way, you faggot.

Instead of chocking on cocks and cookies all the time, stick some fingers down your mouth and throw up that dad belly. A few hundred laxatives a day helps too. Stop with the fades and stick with what works, little homosexual boy.

by Anonymousreply 26September 19, 2023 6:37 AM

I have been doing keto with periods of fasting. Autophagy is an interesting phase where you body eats up all the bad crap residue for fuel. My heart calcium is ZERO.

by Anonymousreply 27September 19, 2023 6:46 AM

Another thing that helped me was reading people’s stories that have come out of the National Weight Control Registry study. To join the study, participants have to have taken off at least 30 pounds and have kept it off for a year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 19, 2023 1:26 PM

Have you tried keto gummies?

by Anonymousreply 29September 27, 2023 8:32 AM

The people who use the term "bone broth" are all on keto diets. That was never a term until the whole keto thing started.

by Anonymousreply 30September 27, 2023 12:34 PM

I lost a lot of weight restricting my fat intake and exercising. I kept under 30gm/day. When I first started exercising I kept my total calorie intake down, but as I got in better shape with regular exercise (cardio and weight training), I was able to loosen up the calorie intake, though I stuck to the 30gm or less fat intake.

by Anonymousreply 31September 27, 2023 12:47 PM

R31 No carbs and little fat will make you hungry as fuck though. One reason keto works is because fat satiates you better than carbs, so even though you might eat higher calorie foods, you eat less of it and stay satiated for longer.

Not knocking your way, whatever works for you great, but if I tried it I would have cravings and hunger like there's no tomorrow.

That said I never meet my permitted fat macros, they are just too high unless I want to eat a block of butter everyday. I love me some fats but some keto fat bomb recipes are just too much , and if you're trying to lose weight, they cant still be way to calorie dense, even in ketosis.

The rule of thumb, I've been told, is always try to reach your permitted protein macros (not more or less) never go past your permitted carb macros) and use your fat macros however you like as long as your not going past them...if you're trying to lose weight though, you still need a calorie deficit so eating super fatty foods all day won't work either.

by Anonymousreply 32September 27, 2023 2:51 PM

I would do the real stairmaster step mill and watch the calories burned. I'd psyche myself to remember how much work I had to put in to burn enough calories that would equal a candy bar , cookie, etc. It did help me curb my appetite in the early days of my fat restriction/workout quest . Once I really started losing weight, I could be less restrictive.

by Anonymousreply 33September 27, 2023 5:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!