Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

recliner chairs

Do you have one? I've had recliners for 25+ years. I can't imagine not having one. But I know plenty who don't.

by Anonymousreply 78September 22, 2023 4:52 AM

Well since you obviously never have sex, the DL will let this slide.

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2023 2:57 AM

Tell us how old you are without telling us how old you are. OP is definitely an aged out Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2023 3:16 AM

mid 50s here. And I do have a sex life.

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2023 3:18 AM

Let me guess OP, you also cant live without your backyard above ground Jacuzzi. Oh and of course the ceiling fans, must have ceilings fans, it's a Boomer must.

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2023 3:18 AM

I've had a few recliners, OP. Don't have one now, but my favorite one was an oversized, overstuffed, very comfy and soft rocker recliner. it really felt heavenly to come home from work and to just fully recline and relax. No, not with a beer. Back then, it was a glass of red wine.

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2023 3:23 AM

My partner and I bought one so his disabled father would have a comfortable place to rest when he visited. I never thought I'd own a recliner.

It was very comfortable and when it finally fell apart we bought a more stylish version, overstuffed and oversized and operated by remote control. Everyone who visits wants to sit in it. It's in front of the TV in the den. The living room is recliner-free and TV free.

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2023 3:42 AM

I bought one when I broke my leg and had to live on the first floor of my condo. I sold it as soon as I could take the stairs to my bedroom. It doesn't belong in a living room, maybe a den. It's just an odd piece of furniture. I prefer a comfy chair and an ottoman.

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2023 3:51 AM

Ceiling fans are “boomer”? Well, I never.

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2023 3:52 AM

Yes they are R8.

1960s – Ceiling fans almost became obsolete due to the popularity of air conditioning. However, since the 60s, fans grew in popularity and became more energy efficient.

1970s – Ceiling fans were well-used during the energy-crisis because they consumed less energy than air conditioners.

1990s – The sales of ceiling fans dropped due to the reduced cost of air conditioning. The solid wood and steel construction of the ceiling fans dropped and were replaced by cheaper, standardized parts.

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2023 3:59 AM

Recliner chairs are for very elderly people on the verge of death who eat their dinner at 3 pm and then go to bed at 7 pm.

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2023 4:01 AM

I love ceiling fans; hate fireplaces.

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2023 4:05 AM

Now now r10, most people that age eat is 6pm on the dot, not 3. Working as a waiter back it the day, It's call the blue hair hour for a reason. Although they are definite in bed by 9. Which they will claim is being up late!

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2023 4:05 AM

I've never had one.

My brother has a recliner, but it's atypical-looking. It's for people with bad backs. When you want to get out of the chair, you flip a switch and it gently pushes you forward / upright.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2023 4:06 AM

I have poor posture so I make every chair a recliner.

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2023 4:15 AM

My elderly parents have a couple of new, sort of soft, squishy courderoy La-Z-Boy recliners to which they retreat every evening to watch Netflix or Britbox in their TV room with a woodstove and knitted blankets. It does seem cosy.. I must say theirs are ridiculously comfortable - like lying in a cloud, tbh. I would NEVER have a recliner because I think they’re tacky af, but am eyeing my parents’ ones for sleeping in after I eventually have my much-needed hip replacement, whenever BC health has decided i’ve suffered enough, I guess? (I’ve got faulty collagen/hypermobility/precocious arthritis, okay?! People say recliners are good for recovery from hip surgery, but they’re still fucking tacky and boomer as hell…)

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2023 4:19 AM

I hate ceiling fans. And it has never occurred to me to want a recliner.

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2023 4:25 AM

My older sister who is a Boomer got two matching ones. Like those two straight guys on Friends. I tried to talk her out of it, she could not understand why I though they were tacky. She she went ahead and bought them anyways. Then she tried to convince me, (or herself) that these were really nice and didnt even look like recliners. Um, yes, yes, they do, you have two giant recliners in your living room sis and not a sofa to be seen anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2023 4:27 AM

I know they are seen as 'unfashionable' - but the newer, slimmer ones look pretty good and they are SOOOO comfortable.

Definitely see one in my future. Life's too short.

by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2023 4:30 AM

IMO, they're ugly and heavy. I like to be able to move furniture, every so often, and vacuum underneath.

That said, I can see taking a nice nap in a recliner.

If you like it and can get use out of it, I'd get one.

by Anonymousreply 19September 18, 2023 4:44 AM

r18 link? didn't know there were "new" slimmer recliners.

by Anonymousreply 20September 18, 2023 4:44 AM

Recliners are not boomer. They predate them. An elderly relative lived to be 104 (born in the 1880s, and had a really cool recliner with vibrating massage and heat action. He was elderly when he got it, but he was no boomer.

He died peacefully while napping in that chair. Swam every day almost to the end of his life.

by Anonymousreply 21September 19, 2023 1:41 AM

A Brief History of the Recliner.

Modern recliners date to 1959 but earlier versions were designed as early as the 1800s. "Around 1850, the French developed a reclining device that could serve as a chair, bed, and chaise lounge."

Among the earliest recliners were dental chairs, as early as 1790.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 19, 2023 1:45 AM

I'd like a chaise.

by Anonymousreply 23September 19, 2023 1:50 AM

I will never have a recliner. Ugly pieces of furniture. Perhaps I'm simply scarred from growing up with a father who was practically glued to his recliner, barking orders at my mother and I. It's like a Pavlovian response - I see a recliner, and cringe. They take me straight back to an emotionally abusive childhood.

by Anonymousreply 24September 19, 2023 2:31 AM

R20 - here's a 'slimmer' one. The overstuffed recliners are so needlessly bulky and just ugly.

I don't understand why people feel like they need all this wrapped around padding around your seat area - where you will never sit or put your arms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 19, 2023 3:00 AM

Recliners are comfortable but aren’t very attractive. I have an ekornes chair and ottoman which is comfortable and sleek.

by Anonymousreply 26September 19, 2023 3:21 AM

Who wants to be comfortable when you can be fashionably sore and stiff.

by Anonymousreply 27September 19, 2023 3:29 AM

My dad fell over in his - it was gingham blue. My fatass brother repeated the performance until I found a four legged recliner.

I’m a side sleeper, so a loveseat works better and takes less room.

by Anonymousreply 28September 19, 2023 3:33 AM

My late parents retired to Florida back in the day and they each had very fancy electronic recliners in the living room in front of the TV. As time went by, my mother died, then we moved my father into assisted living. We kept the house while my father was in assisted living, because we visited every other month and it was cheaper than staying in a hotel. We fucking loved sitting in the recliners.

Flash forward to 2021 and we bought a three bedroom place here in Northern California so we could each have an office, or man cave or what have you. Both of us bought a recliner to put in our offices, and we have no regrets. The rest of the house is stylish, and the offices are also nicely appointed. But they have recliners and we fucking love them. I’ve never been a napper but I sit back in mine and play video games for a while in the late afternoon each day.

by Anonymousreply 29September 19, 2023 4:20 AM

R4, Boomer here, 1949. I loathe ceiling fans, and told my builder to omit them.

I also don't have a recliner.

Please tell me what other "musts" I "have."

by Anonymousreply 30September 19, 2023 4:33 AM

You can fall backwards in them. I had a roommate who was like 6’4” and the recliner was “his chair,” like Archie Bunker. I wasn’t home when it happened, but he fell backwards. No, he wasn’t drunk.

by Anonymousreply 31September 19, 2023 4:52 AM

R30 this is what makes me crazy about these generational categories. 1949? I was born in 1964 and I’m supposed to feel like we had the same cultural experiences because technically we are both boomers?

I don’t have an irrational hatred of ceiling fans or recliners.

by Anonymousreply 32September 19, 2023 4:57 AM

[quote]Recliners are not boomer.

The "new ones" are. The ones you can buy today that dont look like your fathers over stuffed chair. They are however still recliners and they still look like recliners no matter how much Boomers will try and say "you almost cant tell it's a recliner". Um, yes you can Dear. They just want to think they are not buying the same tacky schlock their parents did.

by Anonymousreply 33September 19, 2023 5:32 AM

I was trying to remember how much I spent on my husband's recliner in his man cave, and kept searching "recliner" in my emails to no avail. I eventually realized the recliner I bought him was described as "theater seating." And it was very expensive, like $1700. It has a USB charger in the side which I think is a little added flourish to old-school recliners. He loves it. I have a similar one in my office and I love it too.

by Anonymousreply 34September 19, 2023 6:02 AM

No recliner, but I did recently purchase a very comfortable looking glass coffee table that can support the weight of a 350lb black woman who has just eaten her weight in sausage burritos and chili.

by Anonymousreply 35September 19, 2023 6:53 AM

They are not chairs for the formal living room, but they can be in any sort of family room. I use them in my music studio. The parents and waiting students love them! (I have two - both of which I inherited from my father). They came in VERY handy when I had nasal surgery two years ago, because I had to sleep on my back without rolling on my side, and I could brace myself in the recliner with bolster pillows on either side. I only slept in mine for a week or so, but I have known other people who've undergone surgery who slept in theirs for up to 6 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 36September 19, 2023 8:49 AM

Ghastly, revolting things.

by Anonymousreply 37September 19, 2023 9:33 AM

If Crocs were furniture...

by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2023 9:33 AM

Recliners make me feel trapped. I want a chair I can shift around in; sofas are are great because you can stretch out on your side. Recliners allow for only one position and make me feel as if I'm about to have my teeth drilled. Never understood the appeal.

by Anonymousreply 39September 19, 2023 9:49 AM

Ceiling fans are ugly but useful. What about those days when it's too warm, but not warm enough for air conditioning? Or just muggy? Ceiling fans also help to circulate the air-conditioned cool air around so that you don't need to set the AC at such a low temperature. I hate them aesthetically, but I'll always have them in my house for those reasons.

by Anonymousreply 40September 19, 2023 10:10 AM

I have a Stickley recliner that I rarely sit in anymore.

by Anonymousreply 41September 19, 2023 10:11 AM

Correction, r10: They don't "go to bed." The recliner is their bed.

I have a 76-year-old best friend who never, but for brief trips to the powder room five feet away, and even so not many for she wears Depends, leaves her recliner. Not to check her mail or the weather, not to bring inside her food deliveries (timed for when her aide is there), not to get food (her live-in brother does that).

by Anonymousreply 42September 19, 2023 3:45 PM

R40, I dislike indoor breezes, particularly around my head. Period. I'll use my Central Air for AC, TYVM. Right now it's set at 66.

by Anonymousreply 43September 19, 2023 3:54 PM

I have an electric LaZBoy leather loveseat Ive had for a few yrs.

I have restless leg syndrome and I can get fairly comfortable using it

by Anonymousreply 44September 19, 2023 4:11 PM

[quote] I have a 76-year-old best friend who never, but for brief trips to the powder room five feet away, and even so not many for she wears Depends, leaves her recliner. Not to check her mail or the weather, not to bring inside her food deliveries (timed for when her aide is there), not to get food (her live-in brother does that).

How come she only sits / lies in the recliner and goes to the powder room? I'm assuming she walks to the powder room, so she's somewhat ambulatory.

by Anonymousreply 45September 19, 2023 4:46 PM

r10, Don't knock it until you try it. We also wake and bake at 4:20 AM and have bloody marys at 10. I never knew retirement could be so much fun

by Anonymousreply 46September 19, 2023 4:55 PM

No, because they look like shit. And looks is more important than comfort in my house.

by Anonymousreply 47September 19, 2023 6:32 PM

I am fat and whenever I even look at one I visualize news reports that would wimd up on here.

by Anonymousreply 48September 19, 2023 6:43 PM

Who knew ceiling fans were controversial?

by Anonymousreply 49September 19, 2023 6:49 PM

I have a vintage mid-century recliner from the 1950s (inherited) from a deceased relative. It looks just like the featured one in the ad photo below.

In it's nearly 70 years, the recliner I have has been reupholstered at least three times since the original, each time with a different color of Naugahyde.

I have to make a decision soon as to whether to have it redone again, or finally get rid of it. The chair is VERY comfortable and still works great. If I were actually in the market to buy a modern-day recliner, I'm not sure I'd find one I like any better.

The ad says; "Proud owners tell us it's more refreshing than a nap in bed." - I have to say, that's actually quite true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 19, 2023 7:22 PM

I have two of them, both LazyBoys and both have the second setting that lifts you knees over your heart. Wonderful to fall asleep in.

by Anonymousreply 51September 19, 2023 7:33 PM

[quote]Who knew ceiling fans were controversial?

It's the noise. They can get clicky. And the wind they create seems unnatural at times.

by Anonymousreply 52September 19, 2023 8:32 PM

R45, Do the words "folding walker" and "difficulty" exist in your lexicon?

by Anonymousreply 53September 19, 2023 9:49 PM

R50, I don't see the problem. Just re-upholster again!

by Anonymousreply 54September 19, 2023 9:51 PM

R54 The problem has more to do with cost and local resources available to get the work done.

by Anonymousreply 55September 19, 2023 10:15 PM

I have a recliner but it's not one of those hideous mechanical things with the crank on the side. It's a big leather chair and a matching ottoman. I can literally sleep in it all night.

by Anonymousreply 56September 19, 2023 10:19 PM

My husband had knee replacement surgery this year and having a recliner came in extremely handy. He slept in at first, then used it to sit to prop his feet up when he had the ice machine on his knee and elevating it was key to keeping the swelling down. So if you're getting a new knee, I highly recommend getting one.

by Anonymousreply 57September 19, 2023 10:39 PM

[quote]Ceiling fans are ugly but useful. What about those days when it's too warm, but not warm enough for air conditioning? Or just muggy? .... I hate them aesthetically, but I'll always have them in my house for those reasons.

Plastic seat covers are ugly but useful. What about those days when your clothes are dirty? Wear and tear on the fabric? .... I hate them aesthetically, but I'll always have them in my car and on my sofa for those reasons. - Grandma

by Anonymousreply 58September 19, 2023 11:03 PM

The recliner, a aging Boomers security blanket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 19, 2023 11:13 PM

R59 He was the Silent Generation, not a Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 60September 19, 2023 11:15 PM

Yes we know R60, but that's how Boomers look today. Just like their parents singing the praises of tacky furniture because of comfort.

by Anonymousreply 61September 19, 2023 11:20 PM

R61 Okay, Yul Ulu.

by Anonymousreply 62September 19, 2023 11:22 PM

Just call 'em zero gravity chairs they're sold to Gen X, Y, Z .....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 19, 2023 11:48 PM

My father (silent generation) refused to buy a recliner. They were called La-Z-Boy, a name he found insulting, so I think that was why. He was active until his last day. I am not as admirable or industrious as he was. I want one of those big, soft recliners with a cup holder and a big tray for snacks and remote.

by Anonymousreply 64September 19, 2023 11:49 PM

You forgot the built in ashtray R64. Your father sounds like he had more class than you do.

by Anonymousreply 65September 20, 2023 12:08 AM

I can't believe anybody has anything against ceiling fans. I know a lot of designers HATE them, but WTF?

Talk about pretentious. And so is hating on MODERN recliners - the old overstuffed ones are ghastly, but the newer ones aren't so bad - even if you can tell it's a recliner.

Fucking move on with your lives and care about something that matters people - not ceiling fans or recliners.

by Anonymousreply 66September 20, 2023 2:13 AM

But what about those new sponge holders that hook over your gooseneck kitchen faucet?

by Anonymousreply 67September 20, 2023 2:21 AM

I came to the thread to report that a couple weeks ago I was in our new fancy-schmancy outside deck - where I had a hammock before we now have a super-duper high tech camp chair.... which reclines. And I thought, fuck, it happened -' I finally have a fucking recliner.

But then reading here.... I remember over 30 years ago I had an apartment in Beachwood Canyon where I had 50s style furniture, graphics etc. I had this (or one very similar) recliner in yellow. It was so cool. I was so cool. And now that's all gone......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 20, 2023 2:40 AM

You lived in Beachwood? I loved that area. I wanted to move there so bad but I guess it was not in the cards. I lived in a shitty apartment on Highland near the Bowl for 6 years with my first partner. Hated it.

by Anonymousreply 69September 20, 2023 10:15 PM

If your ceiling fan clicks, it might need to be rebalanced. And I prefer a ceiling fan to keep air moving over the refrigeration of air conditioning. This will also keep your bill down. IIRC, they were repopularized in the 70s because of the Energy Crisis.

by Anonymousreply 70September 20, 2023 10:55 PM

Once you get used to reclining sofas it’s hard to go back to sitting on a regular sofa. I know it’s tacky but it’s comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 71September 20, 2023 11:01 PM

I want one that rotates slowly and randomly so getting out of it isn’t so much a dare as it is a mood enhancer.

by Anonymousreply 72September 21, 2023 12:34 AM

R61, Take a wild guess who are next to look like Martin Crane and buy recliners.

by Anonymousreply 73September 21, 2023 1:20 AM

Oh, shut up, r66. And take your uni-task mind elsewhere, while the rest of us who are able to think of many things simultaneously do so.

by Anonymousreply 74September 21, 2023 1:23 AM

No, R73, not all the bad habits of Boomers will be passed down. Old Gay Boomers known for their "collection" of antiques has died on the vine with younger people. I don't see them suddenly developing a taste for that as they get older. Most of the 70's antique queens started collecting that shit when they were young.

by Anonymousreply 75September 21, 2023 1:37 AM

How about a reclining sofa?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 21, 2023 2:50 AM

R68 I love that little red chair. I have a slim recliner in which I recovered from a car wreck. I couldn't easily get in and out of bed, and it helped me get some zzzzz's.

by Anonymousreply 77September 21, 2023 2:59 AM

R76 Those reclining sofas are popular in the UK, my mum just bought one.

by Anonymousreply 78September 22, 2023 4:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!