Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What tourist traps have you visited?

Top tourist traps in the US. I've been to four: Times Square, Fisherman's Wharf, Navy Pier, and Hollywood Walk of Fame. It doesn't mean you just happened upon it on your way somewhere else. You must have gone yourself or with others as a destination.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 14, 2023 2:43 PM

How about also listing foreign tourist traps you've visited?

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2023 12:38 AM

San Fracisco pier 39 july 5th.Oh....my...God. talk about claustrophobia

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2023 12:51 AM

Eiffel tower elevators

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2023 12:52 AM

The Madonna Inn (we stayed there), Disney World (never again), South of the Border (OK, we were headed to Florida, but for years always drove on by) Wall Drug (besides the Badlands and Mt Rushmore, what else is there to do in South Dakota unless you're fucking the governor), and the Ava Gardner Museum in Smithfield, NC which in a little over a month will be home to AvaFest, the final event marking her one hundreth birthday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2023 1:40 AM

Juliet's Balcony in Verona. Not my choice to go there.

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2023 2:00 AM

Guy Lombardo Museum in London, Ontario.

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2023 2:02 AM

Las Vegas strip

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2023 2:03 AM

Graceland

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2023 2:04 AM

Plymouth Rock. It's just a small stupid rock with a fence around it!

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2023 2:04 AM

Liberty Bell

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2023 2:09 AM

I'm listing these with no derision whatsoever, but with knowledge that while some of these are amazing and beautiful and stunning, they are *still* tourist traps:

London Tower Bridge, West End, Chunnel from London to Paris, the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Siena, Times Square, Niagara Falls, CN Tower, Disney World, Universal Studios Orlando, Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Cirque du Soleil (multiple times in multiple locations), Bourbon Street, Graceland, largest McDonalds in the world (spans the interstate highway/Will Rogers Turnpike in Oklahoma), Carlsbad Caverns, Grand Canyon, Glacier National Park, Algonquin Provincial Park, Corning Museum, Mammoth Mountain, Lake Tahoe, Golden Gate Bridge, Sausalito, (all the associated tourist traps in SF - I lived there for a few years), Pike Place Market, Forks(!!), San Juan Islands, Honolulu, Diamond Head Kauai, Waimea Canyon, Hilo, Yosemite National Park, Sea World, San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park (now called something else), Sequoia and Redwood National Parks, Catalina, Downtown San Diego, Miramar Naval Air Station, Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, Greek Theater/Hollywood Bowl in LA, Walk of Fame, Hollywood, Las Vegas Strip, the Mystery Spot, Universal Studios Hollywood, Plimouth Plantation, Faneuil Hall, Fenway Park, Boston Common, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Anchorage, AK, Tijuana, Continental Divide/New Mexico.

Those are the ones I can remember right now. It's kind of a good exercise for me to realize even though I haven't traveled in awhile, I have done a lot.

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2023 2:09 AM

Wisconsin Dells and Branson

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2023 2:11 AM

R12 I was just about to post the Dells. OMG. It beggars belief that it's a destination of any kind, other than a place to end your life.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2023 2:15 AM

[quote]South of the Border (OK, we were headed to Florida, but for years always drove on by)

Did you at least get a complimentary welcome blowjob from one of their two US Senators?

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2023 5:04 AM

Wisconsin Dells = Myrtle Beach = Branson = Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2023 5:05 AM

Watching the sun go down in Oia. There are much better sunset spots on Santorini (which you don't have to share with thousands of other annoying people).

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2023 5:32 AM

Space Needle in Seattle, Niagara Falls, Gatlinburg, Frankenmuth and Mackinac Island. Sears Tower in Chicago. Now it’s called some thing else.

by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2023 5:34 AM

I was guilted into driving my ageing neighbor to Noah's Ark. Looneyville.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2023 3:42 PM

Graceland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 18, 2023 3:43 PM

You enter the Ark Encounter through a rainbow. Wonder how many "Christians" complained that it was gay, not remembering the significance of the rainbow to the salvation of mankind ( according to them).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 18, 2023 3:51 PM

To add to r12 and r15, if you’ve ever been to Orlando, but not Wisconsin Dells, you’ve been to both.

Orlando is WD on steroids.

by Anonymousreply 21September 18, 2023 3:59 PM

The Desert of Maine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 18, 2023 4:09 PM

I go out of my way to visit cheesy tourist traps.

by Anonymousreply 23September 18, 2023 8:01 PM

[quote]I go out of my way to visit cheesy tourist traps.

So, you must have visited Grandpa's Cheese Barn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 18, 2023 8:23 PM

As an Australian, I know most of those Boston/Cambridge locales from Fallout 4.

by Anonymousreply 25October 13, 2023 5:50 PM

Rockefeller Center observation deck. Before going up you have to wait in line to have your picture taken in front of a backdrop of construction workers sitting on a beam. You have to wait even if you don't want a picture. I tried to skip over the line but they yelled at me. I also got yelled at in Moma because I walked underneath the African American flag that was hanging from the ceiling. It was just the right height where I couldn't see it but it brushed against my hair. They should've put some velvet rope in that spot.

by Anonymousreply 26October 13, 2023 6:42 PM

To me, the worst of all was Fisherman’s Wharf. I didn’t know anything about but a friend wanted to fo. Incredibly horrible and tacky.

R11, I don’t find the Louvre, the Met, the whole city of Siena, even the Eiffel Tower, tourist traps. Even if these places attract lots of tourists ,they do so deservedly.

by Anonymousreply 27October 13, 2023 6:55 PM

My partner and I love Times Square. We always stay very close to it so we can get Krispy Kreme as a late night snack. It's always packed, but moves fast.

Also enjoy the Lincoln Memorial when we visit DC.

Gatlinburg was mentioned above. It's a reich wing shithole. Lots of life size Trump cut-outs to proudly take one's picture with. Blech.

We also love Fisherman's wharf in SF, as well as riding the cable cars. It's a hellish minimum 2 hour wait in line, but completely worth it.

by Anonymousreply 28October 13, 2023 7:02 PM

Tokyo Skytree. Just me and hundreds of Chinese tourists with no concept of personal space queuing for over an hour. Plus I am claustrophobic and have vertigo so it was an orgy of self torture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 13, 2023 7:50 PM

Slausen's Lost Oasis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 13, 2023 7:55 PM

My father took us to Gatlinburg when I was a kid. As an adult, I have visited the House on the Rock.

by Anonymousreply 31October 13, 2023 8:59 PM

[quote]I don’t find the Louvre, the Met, the whole city of Siena, even the Eiffel Tower, tourist traps. Even if these places attract lots of tourists ,they do so deservedly.

Exactly, R27. There's a clear line between highly popular and a kitschy tourist trap that conveys no sense of the place beyond a place to park tour buses and an McDonalds next to the M&Ms store.

If you go to Florence mid-summer and find the core streets impassable with foreign tourists from 11am to 8pm, that's unfortunate, but it doesn't refute the brilliance and beauty of the city. The Louvre is not a crap experience because 99% of the visitors are there to see one painting.

It's funny to me how people who have barely been off the farm will dismiss any city with tourists as a trap, inauthentic, a fraud even. Others insist on bypassing Paris for Český Krumlov, for a "real" experience of another, entirely different place similar only in that both have a great many tourists relative their population figures.

When almost everyone is either an influencer or wants to appear informed and slightly jaded, travel advice gets a little ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 32October 13, 2023 9:08 PM

Times Square, Empire State Building, The Strip in Las Vegas, Disney World, Bourbon Street, Sunset Strip. Is the Albuquerque Balloon Festival a tourist trap? Same with Washington DC.

by Anonymousreply 33October 13, 2023 9:13 PM

Also did spread break in Panama City Beach in college.

by Anonymousreply 34October 13, 2023 9:15 PM

*spring

by Anonymousreply 35October 13, 2023 9:16 PM

Another for Gatlinburg TN. We went to the 1981 Worlds Fair. The memories are all so vivid in my mind. There was a huge Haunted House in Gatlinburg. I was eight. My mom bought us tickets. It was cool as fuck, but as soon as I noticed Frankenstein was behind me, I ran out the fire exit. That was that.

Growing up in Missouri, I've done Branson many times. Silver Dollar City is the hillbilly theme park there. I used to be obsessed.

The Petrified Forest in Calistoga, CA.

Several Madame Toussauds museums and Ripley's Believe It Or Nots. My favorite Ripley's is in Newport, OR next to the low rent wax museum that is not anywhere near the quality of a Madame Toussauds. It is a hilarious experience.

The Sherlock Holmes house museum at 221b Baker Street in London. I LOVE THIS PLACE! Highly recommend!

The Houdini Museum on 35th Street in NYC

That crazy outsider art complex Art Queen in downtown Joshua Tree run by Mary Tree, with an alien spaceship and covered it in bits of mirrored glass and you can crawl up inside it and hang out. And who could forget the "World Famous Crochet Museum?"

I've been to a million sculpture gardens. The one in Oslo is a legitamate outdoor museum but it's whacky and incredible. I love the outsider art ones, where some guy spent decades builting structures out of junk. There's one in Goshen, Ma called the Three Sisters Sanctuary. It's unreal. The other one that is mindblowing is the Garden of Eden in Lucas, KS.

The Bob Baker Marionette Theater in Los Angeles is one of my all-time favorite attractions. The shows are so wonderful, they take me back to childhood. The puppets all look like they were pulled out of a mass grave and pressed back into action after years of puppet slumber, but that's part of the charm!

Story Land in Glen, NH is an amazing vintage theme park where the trees begin to sing to you when the park closes for the day. Incredible.

Mike's Maze in Sunderland, MA for America's grandest cornfield maze, a petting zoo, a camera obscura, potato rifles and kettle corn.

Old Sturbridge Village in Sturbridge MA during Halloween season for hot cider around a bon fire at the village green, surrounded by a restored 1700s village, while people in pilgrim clothes tell ghost stories.

Salem, Ma during October is also something one must experience at some point in their life. It really pops off. I love the trolly tour Rebecca Nurse's homestead, the Salem Witch Cottage Theater, all the tarot readers and crystal shops, the Tituba house, all of it.

The Paul Bunyan statue at Trees of Mystery in Klamath Falls, Oregon

Those huge plaster dinosaurs from Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Shakespeare's House in Stratford-Upon-Avon

Two Sleepy Hollow Cemeteries. The one in Concord that is the resting place of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nathanial Hawthorne, Luisa May Alcott and Henry David Thoreau. And then the other one in Tarrytown NY which is the resting place of Washington Irving.

Walden Pond. You can walk a path and you will come to a small cabin that is a replica of Henry David Thoreau's cabin

But the biggest, baddast, coolest, most awesomest tourist attraction I ever visited was Portmeirion, Wales, home of The Village from the wonderful, kitchy Patrick McGoohan series The Prisoner. I stayed for three nights. Once the day visitors leave at 5 pm, the Village is yours to explore at length in relative silence. And one of the channels on the TV in your room is 24/7 Prisoner episodes. I was in HEAVEN!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 13, 2023 9:54 PM

Anyplace where you go up stairs or an elevator to see some supposed magnificent view. Most of the views are not that impressive or interesting. The gift shops even less so.

by Anonymousreply 37October 13, 2023 10:02 PM

Rock City.

by Anonymousreply 38October 13, 2023 10:19 PM

Every Hard Rock Cafe or TGIFridays I've ever had to eat at because they were convenient/open late in the city I was visiting. Every Dave and Busters I've ever taken godkids or nephews to to kill time and be the "fun" relative.

by Anonymousreply 39October 13, 2023 10:34 PM

The St. Louis Arch. Now THAT is a claustrophobic elevator.

by Anonymousreply 40October 13, 2023 10:35 PM

CERN in Geneva Switzerland

by Anonymousreply 41October 13, 2023 10:36 PM

Have done the usual: Hollywood (for the pure kitsch), Times Square (at its seediest c. 1980), Fisherman's Wharf (left almost immediately), French Quarter (fun despite being a tourist trap), The Strip in Vegas (depressing), Gatlinburg (only to drive through which was enough), Niagara Falls (Asian friends had to see it, at least the US side isn't as tourist trappy as the Canadian).

The monuments in DC are hardly tourist traps, although the nearby food trucks are. The Louvre is only trappy around the Mona Lisa and the place is empty and more interesting at night.

by Anonymousreply 42October 13, 2023 10:47 PM

Jesus Christ some of you people have no concept about what a tourist trap is.

The Duomo of Florence is not a tourist trap. The Empire State Building is not a tourist trap. Disney World is not a tourist trap.

A tourist trap is defined by its pointlessness, genericness, lack of authenticity and poor quality often at high prices. Typically they take the form of an inner city “festival marketplace.” Basically, any place that has a Bubba Gump Shrimp.

Top tourist traps in the US:

New York - Times Square, South Street Seaport

Boston - Faneuil Hall Marketplace

Chicago - Navy Pier

Los Angeles - most of Hollywood Blvd. in Hollywood, Universal CityWalk and Santa Monica Pier

San Francisco - Pier 39

Miami - Bayfront Marketplace

Orlando - Disney Springs and Universal CityWalk

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 13, 2023 10:48 PM

The Corn Palace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 13, 2023 10:54 PM

R43 Was just at the Navy Pier a few weeks ago in Chicago. My travel mates insisted on checking it out. My god what a snooze fest. There's nothing there except a Ferris Wheel and food. But the walk to get there from the Art Institute was invigorating.

by Anonymousreply 45October 13, 2023 10:58 PM

That's a narrow view, r43. I'd say any place with a gift/souvenir shop is a tourist trap.

by Anonymousreply 46October 14, 2023 12:41 AM

[quote]That's a narrow view, [R43]. I'd say any place with a gift/souvenir shop is a tourist trap.

All museums, then, r46?

by Anonymousreply 47October 14, 2023 12:43 AM

Wisconsin Dells is a complete mess, but the sex with the latino lifeguards can be off the charts.

by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2023 12:52 AM

DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 49October 14, 2023 12:54 AM

Sure, r47.

by Anonymousreply 50October 14, 2023 1:07 AM

There's some town in Wisconsin, IIRC, which has troll statues all over. It also has a mustard museum, which I visited and bought some special mustard at. I was on a road trip at the time.

by Anonymousreply 51October 14, 2023 12:11 PM

The Southernmost Point in the Continental US, which you can look at from afar any time you’d like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 14, 2023 12:23 PM

R4 it would be much shorter if you just list the tacky places you HAVEN'T been.

by Anonymousreply 53October 14, 2023 12:36 PM

Branson

Paris

Meramec Caverns

by Anonymousreply 54October 14, 2023 12:45 PM

Ruby Falls. Somewhere in Kentucky when I was 9. You go down into a cavern that has a waterfall. They are ruby colored because they focus red lights on them. Nothing is “ruby” about it. I begged my dad to stop after seeing the billboards for 80 miles leading up to it.

by Anonymousreply 55October 14, 2023 12:48 PM

Tower of London, Big Ben, The Colosseum, Vatican City, Trevi Fountain, Eiffel Tower, The Louvre.

Few were really worth it.

by Anonymousreply 56October 14, 2023 1:40 PM

lol, r55.

Your cute story reminds of my Mom being a little girl and wanting to see a "fan dance" -a dancer wearing a beautiful gown and twirling large boa fans.

So she steps up to the little eye telescopes, puts her penny in, and sees a black and white film reel of an Asian fan jumping around.

by Anonymousreply 57October 14, 2023 1:59 PM

The Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz, Calif. Weird place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 14, 2023 2:39 PM

Really, R56. St. Peter's Basilica was a waste of time? Perhaps you'd prefer the Wall Drug store in South Dakota.

Maybe the people who run the Vatican Museums and the Louvre want to make as much money as possible and let in huge crowds that make the experience unpleasant but that doesn't mean these museums don't have excellent collections.

by Anonymousreply 59October 14, 2023 2:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!