Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Drivers ed should be a multi-year mandatory part of public education

Is it just my region or is reckless and aggressive driving completely out of control? Our public education system woefully underprepares youth for adult life. Families aren't doing it anymore - there's even a phenomenon of young people taking "adulting" classes because their parents haven't ever taught them how to fix anything, how banking works, how to do laundry, etc. I'm actually mad that I didn't get drivers ed because my parents were totally uninterested in interacting with me or teaching me anything. People shouldn't be learning everything relevant about being a functional adult from youtube but I think that's where a lot of young people are. If it were up to me - I would make it three years, a year of learning just about traffic laws, safety (drill the fear in hard), maintenance, insurance and financing tracking onto prep for a permit test and then another year of continuous evaluation of the students driving skill and temperament behind the wheel. The school could act as an early red flag on students who are obviously going to be unsafe or aggressive drivers.

by Anonymousreply 44October 11, 2023 10:18 PM

asian women and cyclists, op.

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2023 8:57 PM

I agree, Drivers Ed is so important that a kid learn to drive carefully but it was cut. When I went to school we learned all sorts of basic everyday stuff like Home Ecc which was more than making brownies, they taught us how to budget and balance a checkbook. Shop was important so kids could get familiar with different tools and how they worked

Everyday stuff you need for everyday living all cut. It's stupid šŸ˜ 

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2023 8:57 PM

Drivers Ed was a thing when I went to HS in VA circa 1980. Usually taught by gym coaches as an elective when you turned 15-16. From what I've heard it's not offered anymore in a lot of areas. Also had consumer math teaching about household budgets and balancing checkbooks (outdated now but it helped) as well as home ec.

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2023 9:00 PM

R2 and families are less engaged with their kids than ever - overworked and zonked out on pills or drunk, among my own generation of older millenials a lot of us are lacking in skills that would have been taught to most gen xers by their parents for sure if not at school. It seems to be about a thousand times worse with zoomers - I read on reddit all the time from college administrators and educators, these incoming freshmen have less life skills than you'd expect of a very young latchkey kid. Parents are calling and asking who's going to do their laundry or help them make basic dishes like eggs and toast.

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2023 9:02 PM

Here's an example of what i was talking about - sad example of American decline

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2023 9:04 PM

R4 gets his "facts" from reddit but rants against "kids today"

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2023 9:06 PM

R5 gets his "facts" from Parade and probably voted for Trump....but thinks young people are the problem

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2023 9:08 PM

R7 I'm a millenial who voted for Bernie Sanders, considering myself well to the left of him. Idiot, I'm not blaming kids I feel sorry for them and my OWN generation for the parenting and education culture we came up in.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2023 9:11 PM

R7 I even specifically blame the right wing for all of this

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2023 9:12 PM

I think itā€™s due to cell phones as much as anything. And while that skews younger, itā€™s by no means just the Millennials.

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2023 9:19 PM

Drivers Ed is offered in many suburban schools for a half or full school year. The problem is that there is rarely any actual driving because of the insurance liabilities. Mostly classroom instruction. Rich kids have their parents pay for private lessons with professionals. It leads to a much safer driver.

Not sure what many years of drivers ed would accomplish. Five lessons with a qualified and competent driving teacher paired with a few months of classroom learning is all anyone needs.

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2023 9:50 PM

R3 same here. L.A. County, late 70s. My varsity tennis coach taught driverā€™s ed., & the baseball coach taught Consumer Econ. Both were required classes.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2023 9:58 PM

R11 what you describe was Driverā€™s Training, which come separately, and after, Driverā€™s Ed. In my 70s h.s., the training class was offered strictly by birthdateā€”there was a backlog, so I would have had to wait until I was almost 17. My parents shelled out $85 to California Driving School for the 6 hrs. needed to take my actual test on my actual 16th birthday. That was a great day!

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2023 10:02 PM

Well, Republicans want to defund public schools so that the government can pay rich kids to go to private school and buy kayaks for homeschooled religious nuts....who is going to pay for this?

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2023 10:05 PM

I don't know if it should be a mandatory part of public education ā€“ not all people want or need to learn how to drive, e.g. New Yorkers or people in general who always travel via public transport or bike ā€“ but the US should *definitely* take some cues from how European countries handle driver's ed. None of this weeklong "training" bullshit followed by an easy quiz & driving test: in, say, Germany, you're not permitted to drive until you ACTUALLY know how to drive properly, and IIRC it takes 9-12 months to complete all of its mandates.

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2023 10:10 PM

Well 160 km per hour on the Autobahn is a different order of magnitude than the 405 through the Sepulveda Pass.

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2023 10:12 PM

It may be good for everyone to learn to drive in case they experience an emergency and need to get behind the wheel. It would be like learning CPR.

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2023 10:14 PM

R16, I've driven extensively on both the autobahn and in L.A., and I feel VASTLY safer in Germany! Yes, you're correct that autobahn driving doesn't directly correlate to American interstate driving, but most European driver's ed programs are far closer to Germany's than ours ā€“ and that's a *good* thing. (Also, I think Germany may have separate licensing for "normal" driving and autobahn-specific driving, but I'm not certain.)

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2023 10:22 PM

Much more important than fucking P.E.

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2023 10:42 PM

I am shock to see all the drivers out there that dont know the left lane is for passing and faster traffic.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2023 10:49 PM

I went to catholic school. We had no drivers Ed and my parents wouldnā€™t allow me to learn how to drive in their cars. Nor would they pay for driving lessons. They just said, ā€œFind someone with a car to teach you.ā€ Except my school was so far away from the town I lived in that I didnā€™t live near anyone else.

I learned to drive when I was 50. Donā€™t know the first thing about cars. Donā€™t know a carburetor from cruise control. Donā€™t care.

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2023 10:49 PM

Had drivers ED in high school at age 16. Got my license at 16 and am 54 and live in LA and have never been in an accident.

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2023 11:04 PM

AND I learned to drive in a stick shift. If you never want to worry about your car being stolen, drive a stick. No one knows how to drive them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2023 11:05 PM

When I was in high-school it sort of was. There was a driving ed class, I don't remember if we were graded on it but it's how I got mine

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2023 11:48 PM

I have started to relentlessly hyperfocus on other drivers who don't use their turn signals. I feel like it's getting worse and worse. I wonder if it's because they're using one hand to play with their phone and couldn't be bothered to reach up and turn on the signal. Or they just have that "freedumb" mentality where it's nobody's business whether they are making a turn or going straight.

by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2023 1:34 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2023 1:49 PM

R25 there's actually a video going around lately of a hot college bimbo saying it gives her the "ick" when guys use turn signals and that like she thinks like it's like uhhhh really feminine or something like idk like they it just turns me off haha you know

I noticed on tinder myself a few years ago that a lot of the hot young girls are saying stuff like take me to car shows, i like when you drive fast, etc. I think that tiktok and social media is pushing reckless driving in and of itself as fashionable to the point that it could even be considered nerdy to use your turn signal at all.

by Anonymousreply 27September 18, 2023 2:07 PM

People are fucking idiots now trying to get on SM. A cyclist was mowed down by two teens recording their hit and run and laughing about it. Someone died and they think it's all shits and giggles for social media fame.

by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2023 6:28 PM

My mom taught me the mere basics of driving a car in the sleepy public park in my hometown. I can't remember if driver's ed was mandatory at my high school (this was the 70s), but I took it to learn the things my mom didn't teach me (parallel parking, how to change a tire, etc.). The teacher's name was Mr. Kornbau, and I think he taught PE or shop (or both) otherwise. I'm still driving and have yet to have an accident (knock wood...) and I've driven on Chicago's Dan Ryan Expressway, CA's Pacific Coast Highway, German autobahns, circled the Arc d' Triomphe in Paris, and on the "other" side of the road in Australia and Ireland. Thanks, Mr. Kornbau!

by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2023 6:42 PM

My driver's ed teacher gave us a little routine to repeat in our heads when parallel parking. To this day I repeat it to myself every time I parallel park. I ace it first time every time. Thank you Maine South Drivers Ed šŸ‘

by Anonymousreply 30September 18, 2023 6:57 PM

Wellā€” what the fuck was it LL Bean?

by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2023 8:38 PM

There ought to be a basic life skills curriculum, or at least as an after school club. Instead of throwing so much money and emphasis on sports, how about teach kids about basic health/fitness/nutrition, investing, drivers ed, cooking and food prep, etc.

In middle school social studies we had one teacher explain the basics of investing in the stock market. We were all assigned a random stock to watch and it all made sense. It literally took him 20 minutes tops to explain how the stock market operates, and took us maybe a minute a day/week to check our stocks?

by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2023 8:49 PM

Iā€™ve never parallel parked and I never will.

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2023 7:38 PM

R33 never makes left turns either.

by Anonymousreply 34September 21, 2023 12:01 PM

How about schools just concentrating on the core subjects? Subjects such as nutrition are taught in mandatory health classes. Leave the driver's ed to an auxiliary offering after school or better yet, leave it to the family. Maybe if there were fewer responsibilities undertaken by schools which should be done by parents, there wouldn't be as much parental interference by incensed Karens. It's been my experience that it's the mothers who do almost all of the interfering and fathers don't complain unless it's about sports. How about they use that interfering time to teach their kids about finances and cooking?

by Anonymousreply 35September 21, 2023 12:29 PM

I live in civilization R34, where we have left lane turning lights.

by Anonymousreply 36September 21, 2023 3:43 PM

Is "Red Asphalt" still shown in Drivers' Ed classes? (When I took DE at my school in the early 1980s, we were shown "Red Asphalt II", which prompted several jokes about highly anticipated/blockbuster sequels) For those unfamiliar, it was grisly, graphic "Scared Straight" for teenage drivers about the perils of speeding, drunk driving, not wearing a seatbelt, etc. I think it also discouraged riding motorcycles.

by Anonymousreply 37September 21, 2023 3:55 PM

It won't make any difference if people are still obsessed with using their phones at all times.

by Anonymousreply 38September 21, 2023 4:49 PM

The phone is what we used to call the glass dick. in the good olde days.

by Anonymousreply 39September 21, 2023 11:37 PM

[quote] How about they use that interfering time to teach their kids about finances and cooking?

Sounds good but the Karens will find something not to like about this.

by Anonymousreply 40October 11, 2023 12:45 PM

Rip Van OP where you been?

by Anonymousreply 41October 11, 2023 3:12 PM

Rep 20:

I am shocked at the # of drivers that don't think the speed limit applies to them and that they are also entitled to flash their headlights, honk their horn (following someone who "not going as fast as you want them to" is NOT an emergency) and flip off legal-speed drivers.

by Anonymousreply 42October 11, 2023 4:43 PM

Legal speed drivers "sauntering" in the passing lane? Women and old people; women and girls texting, old people just being old and afraid of the traffic in the right hand lane. They are worse than what you describe, R42.

by Anonymousreply 43October 11, 2023 9:32 PM

Everyone! Everyone!

Let your chauffeur do the driving!

by Anonymousreply 44October 11, 2023 10:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!