Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

This masterpiece hit #1 on the Billboard charts 40 years ago this week

Where ARE my legwarmers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 25, 2023 1:42 PM

Somewhere, a bear loving twink exploded looking at this photo.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2023 7:06 PM

DADDY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2023 7:14 PM

SO 80s!

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2023 7:19 PM

September, 1983 ...

Weird to think that 2023 is as far from 1983 as 1983 was from 1943. The world of 1983 is both as fresh in my memory and yet as distant in time as World War II was for my mother in 1983.

If I could go back to a point in my past, dropping into the life I was leading at the time but knowing what I know now, 1983 would be a good choice. I was 26 and just starting graduate school. I was fully independent and self-supporting but still young enough to make some changes in the direction of my life. And I get to spend time with some people I really, really miss.

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2023 7:42 PM

[quote]Weird to think that 2023 is as far from 1983 as 1983 was from 1943.

Isn't it crazy to think of that? I was a child of the 80s and WWII was like ancient history to me. And now here we are, removed from the 80s at exactly the same length of time.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2023 7:45 PM

[quote]Isn't it crazy to think of that?

Yes! I used to think along the lines of "well, the world changed so much after the war and in the late 60s-early 70s ... that's why World War II seems so long ago."

But here we are in 2023, and the world has changed in drastic ways we couldn't have imagined in 1983, and yet that era feels familiar and really not so long ago (even though I know it is).

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2023 8:26 PM

I really just CANNOT believe 1983 was 40 years ago. It doesn't process in my brain.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2023 8:28 PM

Ah yes, nostalgia. My favorite trap.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2023 9:55 PM

Never could stand the movie but BOY do I love the soundtrack...great mix of girl power pop of the early 80's, and very unique for that time. Manhunt is SUBLIME.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2023 9:57 PM

R32, lowering the eligibility age to 60 would be a great thing. There are people aged 60-64 out there working every day - just hanging on and going through the motions - just to keep their benefits. By making them eligible for Medicare, you would allow them to retire, which would free up high-level jobs for younger people. Win-win.

I don't think the cost of doing this would be all that great. First of all, it's only a four-year cohort. Secondly, it's a group that is, on average, healthier than the current Medicare population. The majority of Medicare expense goes to very old and/or very sick people, none of whom are likely to be working 60-64 year olds.

by Anonymousreply 10September 25, 2023 12:02 AM

R10 you appear to be on the wrong thread, hon.

by Anonymousreply 11September 25, 2023 12:16 AM

I always thought that the body double for the maniac sequence was a man. I just checked out of curiosity and Marine is a woman, I'm shocked!

by Anonymousreply 12September 25, 2023 12:28 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 25, 2023 2:07 AM

R12, the breakdancing elements in her dance was done by a man named Crazy Legs. So, you are right.

by Anonymousreply 14September 25, 2023 2:26 AM

All of these years later, Jennifer Beals is still a beautiful woman.

by Anonymousreply 15September 25, 2023 2:30 AM

98 famous 1983 deaths =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 25, 2023 2:41 AM

It’s the plantar fasciitis video tutorial! feet being destroyed! Mary!

Seriously though that’s an amazing song lyric about the dancer becoming the dance, closing off their consciousness to everything except music and movement

I know I’m posting a lot today some idiots decided to spray poisonous pesticides outside so I’m chilling here inside till the stinkage subsides

by Anonymousreply 17September 25, 2023 4:11 AM

That was the sexiest performance I had/have ever seen.

Thank goodness I never had the bendiness, rhythm, or ability to do any of that. It would be a preferred method of demented seduction.

“This elf flipped off the wall, did the splits, and then started crawling at me! I kicked him in the head and ran away!”

by Anonymousreply 18September 25, 2023 5:29 AM

I love this soundtrack and this movie is one of my favorite so bad it's good movies.

by Anonymousreply 19September 25, 2023 5:59 AM

I like the moment in the film when the water drops and the bar customers get soaked.

by Anonymousreply 20September 25, 2023 6:15 AM

R11, you are right. Oops, sorry! Not sure how that happened.

by Anonymousreply 21September 25, 2023 7:23 AM

R9 Maybe the movie isn't so great, but Cynthia Rhodes was perfect for the, as you said, sublime Manhunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 25, 2023 10:20 AM

i saw a drag queen do THE most fabulous version of Manhunt once. In a loin cloth, with a bone in her hair, and yet she served total glam!

by Anonymousreply 23September 25, 2023 1:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!