Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“A Murder at the End of the World”- limited series starring Emma Corrin, Clive Owen and Harris Dickinson

This looks phenomenal. I will be watching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162January 1, 2024 9:10 AM

Will Mr. Dickinson be nude?

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2023 5:28 PM

[quote]Darby Hart, a Gen Z amateur sleuth, attempts to solve a murder at a secluded retreat.

That plot description – along with the pink-haired certified DL foe Corrin – triggers me on a cellular level, but I heard somewhere Brit Marling was behind this, so I'll give it a go. The icy landscape reminds me of True Detective with Jodie Foster, which has now sadly been pushed to January. This one starts on Hulu on November 14th, which whore OP forgot to mention.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2023 5:43 PM

R2 it starts on FX November 14. Is it being added to Hulu the same day? Usually it airs on FX and then added to Hulu the next day.

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2023 5:47 PM

Oh no. Emma Corrin again. Why? When will Hollywood tire of stars resembling mentally ill stick insects?

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2023 5:50 PM

She’s a great actress r4

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2023 5:53 PM

Oh wait. It was originally supposed to be for FX Network and start airing at the end of August but was pushed back to November because of the strikes and moved to streaming only. Ok.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2023 5:55 PM

She not great. She’s not even good.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2023 6:06 PM

Clive Owen was hot as fuck for a while around 2005. He looks good here, too. Love to see it.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2023 6:23 PM

Clive was always an attractive man. Still is.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2023 11:26 PM

Rami’s new girl

by Anonymousreply 10September 23, 2023 1:21 AM

The first time I saw Clive Owen I thought he was going to be a major star, but I guess I was wrong

by Anonymousreply 11September 23, 2023 1:26 AM

Not everyone can be a big star. And I don’t think he wanted it. Plus he’s difficult to work with

by Anonymousreply 12September 23, 2023 1:28 AM

I think it starts soon

by Anonymousreply 13November 14, 2023 9:03 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 14November 14, 2023 9:06 PM

Honey, I loves me some Brit Marling.

I would watch her peel an apple.

by Anonymousreply 15November 14, 2023 9:12 PM

The start dare shows 11/14 but went to schedule on my TIVO and nothing for that day???

by Anonymousreply 16November 14, 2023 9:32 PM

I find Corrin unbearable. But I love Brit Marling.

by Anonymousreply 17November 14, 2023 9:44 PM

Two episodes are currently available on Hulu.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 14, 2023 9:46 PM

Thanks! I forgot I was waiting for this show.

Off to watch…

by Anonymousreply 19November 14, 2023 11:57 PM

Ooh, I like it! But who was Raul and his BPROC playing? I saw him in the credits but hadn’t spotted him.

by Anonymousreply 20November 15, 2023 12:47 AM

Maybe he isn’t introduced yet

by Anonymousreply 21November 15, 2023 3:48 PM

I’m watching the first episode and Raul shows up 32 minutes in. He’s on the plane. Seems like a snobby dick (he’s good at those roles). Name might be David. He looks good. Looking forward to seeing more…

by Anonymousreply 22November 17, 2023 11:10 PM

I love me some Harris Dickinson.

by Anonymousreply 23November 17, 2023 11:12 PM

[quote]The first time I saw Clive Owen I thought he was going to be a major star, but I guess I was wrong

Yeah, he was extremely handsome and seemed to be on the cusp. I thought he would have been a good Bond before Craig got it. He would have been good at the same type of Bond that Craig ended up portraying.

by Anonymousreply 24November 17, 2023 11:28 PM

Damn, I want to be in a hot spring with Clive Owen and Raul Esparza. Papi looked good from what we saw of him. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 25November 17, 2023 11:32 PM

Enjoying this show so far. Hate not being able to binge.

by Anonymousreply 26November 18, 2023 12:16 AM

Clive Owen is an actor. They tried making him a movie star but it didn’t work.

by Anonymousreply 27November 18, 2023 12:49 AM

What’s the gay content?

by Anonymousreply 28November 18, 2023 3:48 AM

Is Corrin still a 'they'?

by Anonymousreply 29November 18, 2023 3:59 AM

I *LOVE* Harris. I had no idea he was in this and was very excited to see him. He chooses interesting parts and is always good. I don’t give a shit about what she (they?) is like in her (their?) personal life—Emma is stellar in this and has no problem carrying the show. And also: Joan Fucking Chen!

by Anonymousreply 30November 18, 2023 4:10 AM

This is an entertaining show. There are some conventional elements to it, but then it has its surprises. Darby's backstory is compelling, making it worthwhile to follow her lead in the story. Harris Dickinson is perfection. I also love Brit Marling's Lee, who is clearly manipulating Darby.

by Anonymousreply 31November 18, 2023 4:28 AM

Love Harris Dickinson, but having to sit through a purple haired Emma Corrin as a lead would drive me insane.

by Anonymousreply 32November 18, 2023 4:32 AM

Something’s going to be up with little Zoomer. I predict he’s not a real boy. Some super AI kid or whatever.

I hope they keep Raul around for a while, but I think this show will be killing a few peeps off, and he’ll be one of them. Maybe he deserves it for walking around a hotel hallway barefoot. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 33November 18, 2023 4:41 AM

There’s some inconsistency in Corrin’s hair. Roots, no roots, roots…

by Anonymousreply 34November 18, 2023 5:37 PM

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo knockoff

by Anonymousreply 35November 18, 2023 6:37 PM

First two episodes are so good, this is a really well-made show. Corrin is great, even though I'm still not fully on board with her as a celeb. Harris Dickinson is also talented and gorgeous to die for, I hate his fucking beard he acquired before going to Hollywood. Does anyone else think he looks like the male version of Brit Marlin, facially-wise? This occurred to me during the closeup at the end of the second episode and now I cant unsee it.

[quote]There’s some inconsistency in Corrin’s hair. Roots, no roots, roots…

True, but when she dyed her hair at the resort and came out of her room afterwards, she looked like a million bucks. I want to look this badass, but I fear I'm too old now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 20, 2023 11:04 AM

The first two episodes were pretty good, although the show kind of feels like every other murder mystery of the past 10 years. The setting is interesting and visually stunning at times. Emma Corrin is good, but her (their?) character does feel like a Lisbeth Salander ripoff. I would hope the Roy "character" has more importance to the story than just a talking search engine or plot exposition device.

Bill and Lee were having some kind of affair and Sam killing him would be a boring twist.

by Anonymousreply 37November 20, 2023 4:16 PM

r37 I think it's a given that Bill and Lee were having an affair, I wouldn't be surprised if the little kid was his. And yeah, I do find that a bit cliche as well. We'll see, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 38November 20, 2023 4:22 PM

Well, at least the show got the mystery about the man in the mask's identity out the way. This show is introducing a lot of plot points; I hope they all mean something in the end.

by Anonymousreply 39November 21, 2023 5:06 PM

It's interesting how Brit Marling's character spelled it out for us very clearly that she did not in fact have an affair with Bill, as if anticipating our anticipation of that boring twist; it's almost as if she underscored it twice just to make sure we wouldn't speculate on it further. I'm glad it's not predictable and revealing the man in the mask so early played a part in that as well.

The hard sci-fi aspect with the robots pleasantly surprised me, I didn't know they would lean into it on such a grand scale. CG looked good, too! And all the A.I. stuff is very well researched and relevant to what we're going through now, it really is a well-written show.

A shout-out to that scene with her and the kid and later his dad where the whole room is bathed in hues of pink and lilac, with hints of complementary red and blue. Just divine, I don't often see something so pleasant on TV. Kudos to the crew for pulling that look together. And don't get me started on the costumes these people wear – the knit caps alone in this episode were to die for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 21, 2023 5:26 PM

I am really loving this. Glad you all clued me into it!

by Anonymousreply 41November 21, 2023 6:34 PM

What day does this air?

by Anonymousreply 42November 21, 2023 9:31 PM

R42, the next episode is available on Hulu on the 27th, so it must air on FX on Sundays.

by Anonymousreply 43November 22, 2023 4:12 AM

It airs on Tuesdays.

by Anonymousreply 44November 22, 2023 4:18 AM

I'm not seeing the greatness. It's OK, and it did just get a lot more interesting, so I'll stick it out. But none of the characters is appealing. There's too much boring, fashionable "deep thought" - all utterly conventional - and the show takes itself dreadfully seriously. Compared to something as delicious as, say The White Lotus, it's pretty ordinary.

by Anonymousreply 45November 22, 2023 9:29 AM

The White Lotus is satire, this is more of a traditional whodunnit. I do like it a lot, but they're obviously in completely different leagues where social commentary is concerned. I'm entertained and it looks incredible, that's enough for me to continue watching.

by Anonymousreply 46November 22, 2023 9:42 AM

[quote]Rami’s new girl

They’re not a girl, not yet a demi boy

All they need is time, a moment that is theirs

While they’re in between

by Anonymousreply 47November 22, 2023 9:45 AM

That girl's straight? Oh, please. She just needs to come out and get it over with.

by Anonymousreply 48November 22, 2023 9:55 AM

Her male friend does wonder in the show at one point, "I thought you only fucked women?" The armpit hair she's visibly sporting on the show is very butch and she's honestly hairier than I am.

by Anonymousreply 49November 22, 2023 10:02 AM

R46, re White Lotus - yes, I thought that as soon as I posted. They're really not the same kind of show, but we have no edit button.

I like dark, serious, edgy or depressing shows just fine, but it's better when there are characters I find interesting or, even better, attractive. As for social commentary - yes, the clunky, obvious, conventional, "we're so socially aware" stuff bothers me. There's enough of that in the news, but somehow way too many entertainment products feel like they have to pour it all over their stories. It's tiresome but typical of our straight-faced, earnest times.

You're right, though, that the show is entertaining, despite my disliking or being indifferent to every character. Having watched 3 eps, I'll stick it out for the remaining 4. It's too bad we can't binge it.

by Anonymousreply 50November 22, 2023 5:36 PM

So, I like, y'know, just bind my titties flat. That and a short 'n sides and y'know I'm non-binary for a while.

What I love though, what I really love, is a long, thick uncut dick that really scrapes the sides of my walls.

by Anonymousreply 51November 22, 2023 6:19 PM

For some reason, I thought for the longest time these two were British, but learned only last week that they are, in fact, both Americans.

Batmanglij was so cute when he was younger, then kinda lost his looks, but has now transformed into a hot silver daddy. Brit is of course ageless; only the very best moisturisers for her. Love how she doesn't bother with hair extensions here, she's like fuck that shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 25, 2023 12:46 PM

I need to watch The OA again.

by Anonymousreply 53November 25, 2023 1:26 PM

I want to erase my memory of The OA, then watch it again with fresh eyes. So, so good.

I also want Patrick Gibson inside me, quite deeply, although that's neither here nor there.

by Anonymousreply 54November 25, 2023 1:30 PM

I suspect it is more there than here.

by Anonymousreply 55November 25, 2023 1:32 PM

I also lusted after Brandon Perea, who looked so much hotter then than he does now. Also whiter, somehow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 25, 2023 1:39 PM

I don't know about ageless, R52. Marling is 41 and, while she looks good for her age, she does look 40-ish.

by Anonymousreply 57November 26, 2023 7:11 AM

I said what I said what I said.

by Anonymousreply 58November 26, 2023 7:48 AM

R57 You wish.. She looks like a child.

by Anonymousreply 59November 26, 2023 8:55 AM

Bit of a boring, table-setting episode this week. The last five minutes with the emergency trach were awesome, though. Never seen that on TV before. Hated that they went for the predictable cliche of Zoomer being Bill's kid after all. I braced myself for it as soon as Bill told Darby that fortune teller anecdote. Oh, well.

What the hell was wrong with that astronaut racing on all that black ice? I actually busted out laughing when they flew off the road. She has major issues.

Anyone else found it odd how Bill told Darby to stop when she was telling him about the serial killer's first kill at the motel, with the excuse that it was too intense for him? He's totally the serial killer they're after, isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 60November 28, 2023 4:54 PM

Boring as shit. Stopped after ep. 1.

by Anonymousreply 61November 28, 2023 5:00 PM

Episode 4 was definitely boring, and I too wanted to slap the shit out of the woman who was driving.

Did they need a certain number of episodes to fulfill their contract, I wonder?

I sure hope the next one is better.

by Anonymousreply 62November 29, 2023 3:28 PM

[quote]and I too wanted to slap the shit out of the woman who was driving.

It's already bad when actors at the wheel look at the actor on the passenger side for an extended period of time – something that just doesn't happen in real life because we're busy looking at the fucking road! – but this woman was racing on black ice as she was doing it as well, so it was doubly frustrating.

[quote]Did they need a certain number of episodes to fulfill their contract, I wonder?

It's common for certain episodes to be slower and build things up, so there can be a more explosive payoff down the road. Pretty much every show has episodes like this one, even limited series. The OA was orders of magnitude slower in comparison, yet has achieved cult status since it aired.

by Anonymousreply 63November 29, 2023 3:36 PM

I think the next one to die will be the nerd in the glasses. Oliver, maybe? But that would be three dead men in a row, so maybe the Asian woman.

Just not Raul!

by Anonymousreply 64November 29, 2023 4:54 PM

The Iranian singer might be the next to go as well.

I think the Chinese lady is highly sus, Darby was shooting her looks when they were in the bunker. She had weird reactions to what was being said.

by Anonymousreply 65November 29, 2023 5:07 PM

Episode four had a lot of great cinematography ... and not much else. The tracheotomy scene was intense, though.

The show is more than half over, but we know so little about the others that it's difficult to make any guesses.

by Anonymousreply 66November 29, 2023 5:27 PM

R62 if a network orders a certain amount of episodes, yes. It’s common for them to ask for a certain amount of episodes, unless it’s already filmed and they buy it.

by Anonymousreply 67November 29, 2023 6:02 PM

A great twist would be if the least suspect would be the Murder- aka Lee!

by Anonymousreply 68November 29, 2023 8:25 PM

What did the fortune teller tell Bill? That he would only have 1 child and then die young?

I like this show but it is not very good as a mystery. Even the back story of Darby and Bill solving old crimes is really hard to follow. For example, how did they get from victim 1 to victim 2? If they explained it, I missed it. It's just a jumbled series of flashbacks. And the hotel "trick" of taking a guest's room does not work. The maids would have come by to clean the room and even the clerk would have remembered that they were not the guests.

And all the running around in the snow and then they don't tell Andy anything? Maybe that will happen next week, but it's kind of a mess.

by Anonymousreply 69November 29, 2023 8:43 PM

Love Harris

by Anonymousreply 70November 29, 2023 8:44 PM

R69 she said he would have one child with someone he only slept with once. And she was right!

by Anonymousreply 71November 29, 2023 9:40 PM

I loved the first three episodes, but this one was a slog, other than the helmet thing. Hopefully it will get back on track.

by Anonymousreply 72November 30, 2023 4:01 AM

R69, I'm also having trouble following the investigation in the flashbacks. They seem to be linear, but it feels like there's a lot of information being left out in the gaps between them.

by Anonymousreply 73November 30, 2023 4:58 PM

Agree. I don't think they will be crucial to the story, but they seem disconnected:

- Darby and her father find the first Jane Doe, and the silver earrings

- Darby takes the earrings and goes to research them on the web, where she meets Bill who is also an amateur crime sleuth

- Darby and Bill go to the site of a victim, but it doesn't really have any significance (?)

- Bill and Darby go to the killer's house (?) and break in. They find a skeleton in the basement. Someone comes home and points a gun at them, but then it ends before we know what happens. It's suggested that Bill was injured and then after this, he left Darby at the hotel. This sequence seems way out of order.

- They meet a victim who gives them a pin. It's suggested it's the killer's pin, but I don't think it's mentioned again (?)

- Somehow they connect with another crime sleuth, and help identify another Jane Doe while looking at her bones with a coroner. Also, somehow, Darby has a sample of teeth impressions (!) that match the victim. They find a silver ring with the person's stuff, with the inscription "E. Bell"

It's very disconnected. Maybe by the end it will make sense.

by Anonymousreply 74November 30, 2023 6:44 PM

I watched the first episode. It's a mish-mash of The After Party, Glass Onion and a little of Ex Machina. I think this is the start of a new genre-- eccentric billionaire brings together 'extraordinary' people. It's a genre of no interest to me.

by Anonymousreply 75November 30, 2023 6:47 PM

R75 no one claimed it was a new genre, nor does anyone expect that in 2023. Nothing is new anymore. Every subject has been a movie or show by this point.

by Anonymousreply 76November 30, 2023 6:53 PM

I need some Harris Dickinson nudity.

by Anonymousreply 77November 30, 2023 9:49 PM

Here's more on a flashback from a recap:

A flashback finds Darby waking up in the bed of a truck with Bill Farrah (Harris Dickinson). “Today, we find out if this is Carmen Perez’s pin,” he said, holding up the piece of silver they got from Marta. Soon after, they were with a friend from The Doe Files, Sue (Samantha Jones), and a medical examiner (Derek Peith) who confirmed that this Jane Doe’s teeth matched the dental records of Carmen Perez, the owner of the pin. Darby and Bill asked for the evidence that was collected with the body. In the box, they found a silver wedding ring with the inscription “E. Bell” on the inside of the band. As Sue walked them out, Bill sneezed, and she asked if he had a cold. He told her this is normal for him, a condition called ACHOO Syndrome (Autosomal Dominant Compelling Helioopthalmic Outburst). It makes him sneeze when he transitions from dark to light. “It’s genetic, my father has it too.” They hugged Sue goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 78December 1, 2023 2:25 AM

Well, this was a lot more eventful than last week, wasn't it?

Lee left the poker game to check on her kid via the lift in the medical bay? That's suspicious, watch her be the one who got the morphine that killed Bill. Darby even clocked it for a split second, but was concussed and distracted.

Bill getting antsy when Darby found the lead on the ring, then asking her if she's ever thought about dropping this whole investigative shit, going on a weird tangent about mobile phones, AND then gaslighting her into believing she didn't actually solve the case because she's an Adderall addict? Guys, I'm telling you, Bill is totally the serial killer they're after.

I think the black guy is the person who attacked Darby in her room. It's gonna look real cute on a rewatch, seeing him sat right next to her at a fire in the next scene. Either him or the disabled guy. That German waiter they flew in from Berlin is also super sus to me.

One nitpick: Andy is British, so the lifts in a doomsday fortress he designed would not have the American system of going from -1 to 1, they'd have a proper floor labelled as G or 0.

Goodbye, Alice Braga, I loved you a lot more in Guadagnino's We Are Who We Are.

That transition from the Icelandic blues to the Utahn yellows was glorious. As was that scene in the dark with Darby's silhouette coming down the stairs. This beautiful shot below made me think of Rodin's Thinker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79December 5, 2023 3:36 PM

I think Bill was just worried for Darby. She was up all night taking pills and obsessed with the case. He wanted her to put the phone down and exist in the real world for a bit. I’d be very surprised if he had any bad intentions. He was in love with her and wanted her to take better care of herself.

I am curious what he called David about. I’m guessing it wasn’t a late night hookup, but it would be for me!

Lee is looking suspicious, but I think she’s the obvious pick. Could be Bill told her he knew he was Zoomer’s dad and she was worried he would tell Andy. Then Andy would write her and zoomer out of the will or something. She didn’t know Andy already knew he wasn’t the bio dad.

We haven’t seen much from the black guy (don’t even remember his name, sorry) so he could be the killer. Or is Oliver not as disabled as he makes it appear? Decent episode.

by Anonymousreply 80December 5, 2023 4:01 PM

I forgot to mention that the doctor said "HIPAA oath" instead of "Hippocratic oath". Was she making a joke?

r80 You're far more charitable towards Bill than I am. I hope you're right because that would be a dark, dark turn if my speculation turned out to be true. Perhaps even too sinister for a show like this one. Like something straight out of The OA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 5, 2023 4:13 PM

Main theme music - "Straneglove". I prefer the original Depeche Mode version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 5, 2023 4:59 PM

My head exploded when a character on this show, who is a physician, referred to the HIPPA oath. What? Does she mean the Hippocratic oath? Because a HIPPA oath is proof the writing on this show needed serious help.

by Anonymousreply 83December 5, 2023 5:01 PM

Yeah, she probably meant just regular HIPPA laws, that she couldn’t share her patients’ medical history with randos, but said oath. I’ve never heard it said as an oath. Kind of weird.

by Anonymousreply 84December 5, 2023 6:31 PM

I'm surprised by all the positive comments here.  I loved The OA but I think this show is largely a dud aside from the scenery.  First, the pacing is terrible and the long run times for so many of the episodes are totally unjustified.  The acting from some of the supporting cast is also terrible.  Rohan, wheelchair guy, and the black author are particularly bad and their cringey dialogue doesn't help.  The plot is also full of holes and dumb contrivances.  Darby is supposed to be a brilliant detective, but so far her investigatory skills are just crowdsourcing shit on the internet.  As someone upthread mentioned, it's also totally unclear how the silver pin got tied to Carmen Perez and then how Carmen Perez was tied to that particular Jane Doe body.  Their explanation for why a killer loose in a super high tech lair where all the occupants wear smart rings is so hard to identify is also really weak. I also literally laughed out loud when they instituted a lockdown where everyone was apparently able to just walk right out the backdoor of their rooms.  Other laughable moments were Bill's motel room trick that made no logical sense and Ray randomly telling Darby about Rohan's boat in the world’s clunkiest foreshadowing ever. Worst of all, most of the central mystery would be solved in 5 minutes if people just bothered sharing basic information.  Rohan tells Darby that he and Bill were working on something important but doesn't actually bother to tell her the details?  Darby sees Bill dying but doesn't bother to ask him "what happened?" before he dies?

by Anonymousreply 85December 5, 2023 8:41 PM

I really liked the first episode but it’s gone steadily downhill since. I like Emma Corrin and Harris Dickinson but I’m bored to death by the supporting cast.

by Anonymousreply 86December 6, 2023 1:25 AM

R85, those are all very valid weaknesses and plot holes. Not sure why I keep watching it, despite all the problems.

by Anonymousreply 87December 6, 2023 1:38 AM

I still find it engrossing even if it doesn’t make sense. For example, how could Lee not know that Andy is sterile? If Bill could not have sex with her, how could she be pregnant with Bill’s baby? And of course the most obvious, how is a killer running around undetected in a highly regulated surveillance facility???

by Anonymousreply 88December 6, 2023 7:44 PM

Clearly Lee was lying about her relationship with Bill. And I can see Andy maybe just never telling Lee about his sterility. But, yeah, the killer running around undetected in such a heavily surveilled environment is very hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 89December 6, 2023 7:55 PM

It was funny to see the group bonding over a fire, laughing about not being brilliant or rich enough for an invite into the billionaire's bunker to survive climate change, only for them to turn on the help who was warning them about an incoming storm. Yes, the hotel manager is bitchy, but he's lower on the totem pole than they are.

by Anonymousreply 90December 7, 2023 7:05 AM

It's become pretty boring.

by Anonymousreply 91December 7, 2023 7:10 AM

I had high hopes for this show. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 92December 7, 2023 7:53 AM

I hate to be *that* person because I don't normally complain about throwaway lines, but we really ought to retire the "no atheists in foxholes" phrase already. The writers thought they were being super clever with that quip's lunar expansion as well. The existing phrase is already incredibly ugly, implying atheists aren't prepared to die for their country or a cause they believe in. But this one was even worse because you're basically saying we can't handle the adversity of the lunar conditions and/or the majesty of seeing the earth from the lunar surface?

I just cannot with this line in 2023, especially because the current director of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center – the first woman ever to head this department – is an atheist who was sworn in on Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot book earlier this year.

r90 That's a great observation! I sensed there was something deeper I should be taking away from that warning, but didn't manage to get beyond the storm signifying impending danger.

by Anonymousreply 93December 7, 2023 9:14 AM

>>implying atheists aren't prepared to die for their country...

That is not at all what the phrase means.

by Anonymousreply 94December 7, 2023 12:00 PM

At this point, I think Zoomer killed Bill.

Seriously, though, the show is pointing to Lee as the killer. What's with the passport and wig?

The flashbacks are still kind of nonsensical and hard to follow. But I don't think Bill is the killer. His concern for Darby wasn't to cover his tracks but out of concern for her health. Being awake for two days and high on Adderall is going to make you think crazy things.

I'm still enjoying the show and want to see how it ends. But the beautiful cinematography and great performances can't distract from the languid pacing and questionable plot choices.

by Anonymousreply 95December 7, 2023 5:52 PM

They made a big point about Lee being doxxed and going into hiding for a while. I'm sure the fake ID and wig are related to that.

My guess for the killer is Ray (yawn) with him blackmailing different guests into putting on the mask and each committing individual attacks.

by Anonymousreply 96December 7, 2023 6:04 PM

Yeah, i think AI ray is a real person living in the walls like in the movie The Boy. He sneaks around and kills people.

Or is Ray actually a real guy? I forget. I know he went to see Darby in the first episode, but was that an AI Ray Or a real human?

by Anonymousreply 97December 7, 2023 6:41 PM

Hmmm... I bet you guys are right. Ray it is!

by Anonymousreply 98December 7, 2023 10:52 PM

Maybe one of the people thought to be dead isn’t really dead.

by Anonymousreply 99December 7, 2023 11:46 PM

Good for Oliver for getting some good dick! Whatever Bill told David on the phone had him calling Oliver for round 2. I bet Bill made David mad with whatever it was.

by Anonymousreply 100December 8, 2023 1:48 AM

I'm thinking it's a Clue The Movie situation where everyone killed someone.

by Anonymousreply 101December 8, 2023 4:57 PM

Tapped out halfway through episode four. Beautifully shot but that’s not enough.

by Anonymousreply 102December 9, 2023 12:02 PM

I'm on episode 2 and the characterizations are two broad. Main character gave in too easily to the visionary pushing off everything as "an overdose". All she had to do was insist on meeting the police and recounting what she saw at the window.

by Anonymousreply 103December 9, 2023 11:49 PM

Corrin is attractive, IMO. I'm not up on her backstory as a non-binary.

by Anonymousreply 104December 9, 2023 11:53 PM

R93 Maybe the staff could show the film "The Triangle of Sadness" for the guests while they ride out the storm.

by Anonymousreply 105December 10, 2023 2:42 AM

oops *"Triangle of Sadness"

by Anonymousreply 106December 10, 2023 3:43 AM

Ugh the reveals in the last episode were a major letdown. I can’t believe all of this has been building to a Lifetime tv movie conclusion.

by Anonymousreply 107December 12, 2023 5:22 AM

Yeah, this episode was a bit "trauma was the real killer all along", wasn't it? On the other hand, it can't be easy keeping it together when you're processing your former lover's death while being stuck in the place he was murdered in.

So I was wrong and Bill wasn't the killer, he was just concerned about Darby falling in too deep. I prefer this version, it made me like Bill even more. I also want to take a nasty bath with Dickinson and his perfect tits.

The disabled homo in that mecha suit... there's something going on there he's not telling us. That thing must have a hidden beast mode or something.

I wanted to whip that damn pensioner over the head with her own phone. I get that she was in shock, but how frustrating was it to watch her babble on to the 911 operator? Crucial information only, lady! Thankfully Darby then took it over like a boss.

So Andy is a complete fucking monster. I actually believed him when he was bullshitting to Darby that he was her ally a couple of episodes ago, silly me.

by Anonymousreply 108December 12, 2023 7:31 PM

I liked this episode. It didn’t drag, we learned some new stuff, got closure to the silver killer, Raul turned out to be a good guy who rescued Darby from drowning. Nice. This was also the first time I liked Lee.

I, too, don’t trust Oliver. He offered up Lu Mei super easily as someone who would want Bill dead. I hope it doesn’t turn out to be ‘the disabled guy did it but no one suspected him because he was disabled’. Very Scooby Doo.

We don’t know much about the black guy or Ziba, they could be involved.

I didn’t mind the old lady with the phone. She was probably friends with Patty and shocked to learn she was dead and buried in the house the whole time. That was the most important thing to her at that moment. At least she called 911 and didn’t close the door on Darby. Or just not answer.

Harris Dickson is pretty cute. His English accent slipped through a couple times in the bathtub scene, but not too bad.

by Anonymousreply 109December 12, 2023 8:16 PM

*Dickinson, sorry

by Anonymousreply 110December 12, 2023 8:18 PM

A short episode, but at least it gave closure to the serial killer plot. Andy being a monster isn't much of a surprise.

Considering how this show has gone, I have doubts it can stick the landing in the last episode. We barely know the other guests, and there hasn't been enough discussion about a potential motive for killing Bill to draw any conclusions going into the ending.

by Anonymousreply 111December 13, 2023 3:50 PM

Yeah, any one guest (or a combination of any two or more guests) could be the killer and I would be equally nonplussed by the reveal. I know the format of a whodunnit doesn't lend itself well to deep character studies because the lead is constantly going from one suspect to the other receiving backstories and gathering clues, but I got a better feel for the suspects in the Knives Out movies than here where I know next to nothing about most of these people's motives.

by Anonymousreply 112December 13, 2023 4:07 PM

[quote] Andy being a monster isn't much of a surprise.

No. Which is why it feels so lame. All this mystery and subterfuge for what's in the end a pretty generic abusive husband storyline feels like a total waste.

by Anonymousreply 113December 13, 2023 4:08 PM

I am still sticking with it, even though it's not fulfilled all expectations. I LOVE the actors who play DARBY and BILL. I wish them great success. They have great faces, are very expressive the camera loves them ... all the things we love in actors.

The Silver Doe killer resolution was a giant disappointment. They couldn't have one scene with him? That would have amped up the suspense.

It is kind of rushing into a frenetic ending, isn't it, since they only have 1 left?

Hoping for the next great murder series. You can do it!

by Anonymousreply 114December 14, 2023 3:16 AM

Can someone explain to me the secret lair 10 floors down? How did the other hotel guest not know Andy, Zoomer, and Lee were 10 floors below?

by Anonymousreply 115December 18, 2023 6:20 PM

The last episode was kind of a letdown. I wasn’t surprised at all with the ending.

by Anonymousreply 116December 19, 2023 5:42 AM

That finale was a total fucking dud. First, the identity of the killer was maybe the least surprising reveal in history. It also meant that half the characters were completely superfluous to the story. There were also holes and inconsistencies all over the place. For example, they make a big point near the end that Ray only responds to Andy, but we've already seen him responding to others and he continues to respond to others during the finale. Ray is also supposed to neutralize threats to Andy, but takes no steps to prevent Lee from taking Zoomer (it would have been much better if Ray had picked up on this threat on his own and killed Bill for helping with the kidnapping plan rather than responding to Andy's therapy worries) or any steps to prevent Lee and Darby from destroying him at the end. It also made little sense for Lee and Darby to destroy Ray at all when it was made plainly clear that Ray's actions were the result of faulty programming (literally underlined by Bill in the book, having inexplicably figured the hole thing out just moments before his death, I guess?) or that they'd destroy the largest piece of evidence in the murders before the police got there. It also didn't make sense that Lee still felt the need to kidnap Zoomer, knowing that Andy was basically bankrupt, about to be publicly humiliated, and that he wasn't Zoomer's biological father. They made a point of saying there was a power imbalance in her relationship, but surely all of that would have given her some leverage to be able to walk away. It would have been much more satisfying to see her take back some power with all of that information than just sneaking away in the snow. I also laughed out loud when Andy praised Darby by saying Zoomer's paternity wasn't easy to deduce. Literally, that was the easiest deduction in the entire fucking show. They may as well have had a big neon sign over Zoomer saying "Bill's kid" when he started sneezing.

by Anonymousreply 117December 19, 2023 3:56 PM

What does the first narrative of chasing a serial killer have to do with the second narrative of the mad billionaire, doomsday and AI?

by Anonymousreply 118December 19, 2023 4:57 PM

Dickinson must be embarrassed by this pile of moody shit.

For arty Harris, Postcards from London was much better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119December 19, 2023 5:00 PM

‘Irrelevant wad of come’ is my new favorite insult.

by Anonymousreply 120December 19, 2023 5:36 PM

The last episode felt like an entirely different show. There was no suspense and no plot after Zoomer was revealed to be an unwitting child assassin. And how exactly did Andy impregnate Lee with Bill’s sperm without her knowledge? That was never explained. Disappointed ☹️

by Anonymousreply 121December 20, 2023 5:11 AM

R121 I took it to mean Lee lied about having an affair with Bill. She lied about other things as well.

But there are some unanswered questions. Why was Rohan in love with Bill? As a father figure? As a lover?

by Anonymousreply 122December 20, 2023 5:18 AM

Loved the first two episodes, but then it just got ridiculous. Worth watching for Emma and Harris, though.

by Anonymousreply 123December 20, 2023 9:10 AM

Everyone is talking about how wonderful Brit Marling is and I’m just not seeing anything special.

by Anonymousreply 124December 20, 2023 9:24 AM

[quote]For example, they make a big point near the end that Ray only responds to Andy, but we've already seen him responding to others and he continues to respond to others during the finale.

It was established that Ray will only respond to Andy when it comes to sensitive security information. Obviously, he will respond to anyone if you ask him what time it is or something inane like that.

[quote]And how exactly did Andy impregnate Lee with Bill’s sperm without her knowledge?

Lee lied to Darby when she told her Bill couldn't get it up when they tried having sex that one time. Some of us in this thread saw through that deception, especially after Bill told Darby that fortune teller story. Made no sense that someone as young as Bill couldn't get it up for someone like Lee.

by Anonymousreply 125December 20, 2023 10:49 AM

Yeah, it was a bit of an anticlimactic finale and Ray was dispatched of far too easily. I agree with a poster above that most of the guests turned out to be superfluous.

I did like that they explored what can happen if you aren't careful with A.I. and that there will be other Andys in the future. Zoomer killing his own father was also incredibly tragic.

by Anonymousreply 126December 20, 2023 10:53 AM

One problem with this series is I didn’t develop any emotional attachment the characters, so I felt nothing when they died.

by Anonymousreply 127December 20, 2023 10:59 AM

r127 Totally agree. And it's ironic because Darby said this all happened because Ray lacked the capacity to feel emotions.

It was all quite sterile and remote, just like that Iceland compound they were in. And no offence, but I truly didn't care whether Zoomer lived or died. That kid actor wasn't the best and I'm not into kiddies just in general. The finale made it seem like the future of humanity depended on him and Lee escaping, I was like what, who gives a shit.

by Anonymousreply 128December 20, 2023 11:07 AM

Also why would the ship help the wife and child flee. it's the billionaire's ship, isn't it? Too lazy to go back and check.

by Anonymousreply 129December 20, 2023 11:43 AM

I think that was just some random vessel off the coast of Iceland.

by Anonymousreply 130December 20, 2023 12:16 PM

Why would you take yourself and your child onto a rubber motor boat off and isolated coast of Iceland hoping to find a random rescue ship?

by Anonymousreply 131December 20, 2023 12:19 PM

Iceland's coast is teeming with Icelandic, Danish, and British fishing boats, they'd be found way quicker that way than simply walking along the beach to try and reach some village or town eventually.

by Anonymousreply 132December 20, 2023 12:26 PM

OK I remember the raft and offshore vessel were both explained in earlier episodes, but as I said I'm too lazy to go back and watch.

by Anonymousreply 133December 20, 2023 12:34 PM

This show is about a murder in Pittsburgh?

by Anonymousreply 134December 20, 2023 12:37 PM

Oh wow. I, at R95, predicted Zoomer killed Bill. I want to pat myself on the back for that, but I also feel a little disappointed that was the twist.

The finale was underwhelming and felt like an afterthought (at 40 minutes, it's the shortest episode of the season). Destroying Ray was pointless. The other guests ended up irrelevant to the story. The flashbacks to the murder investigation feel like filler.

I don't regret watching this series. The performances were good, and the cinematography was beautiful. The production quality was excellent. But the writing was sometimes a mess.

by Anonymousreply 135December 20, 2023 4:27 PM

I didn't hate the series, but I was hoping for more. It gets a C/C- grade.

I liked seeing Clive Owen and Raul Esparza, and Harris Dickinson is a cutie. Very pretty setting. But the story...eh. at least it was only 7 episodes I guess.

by Anonymousreply 136December 20, 2023 5:48 PM

What even was the point of Raúl Esparza? Seriously, what a waste. Looking back, I think the whole serial killer flashback portion should have been cut and replaced with getting to know these side characters in the compound better.

by Anonymousreply 137December 20, 2023 5:51 PM

All of the paternity stuff was garbled. Andy said he knew Bill was the father but that Lee didn’t know that Andy was sterile. WTF? Never explained.

In hindsight they should have just done a series about the Silver Doe. The two stories did not mesh, apart from Darby being an amateur detective.

by Anonymousreply 138December 20, 2023 5:53 PM

[quote]All of the paternity stuff was garbled. Andy said he knew Bill was the father but that Lee didn’t know that Andy was sterile. WTF? Never explained.

Okay, I'm sorry but is the one part that was explained. Andy knew he was sterile and he had eyes on Lee, so he knew she fucked Bill. Lee didn't know Andy was sterile, so just assumed the kid was his and not Bill's, with whom she only had sex once.

I agree that they should have picked either story. Or both, but with a longer season so it could all be given proper time and depth.

by Anonymousreply 139December 20, 2023 6:00 PM

Did the two narratives mesh on some symbolic or psychological level? I'm too lazy to figure it out.

I guess something about Bill's epiphany after the serial killer shot himself. That the murderer and the murders had no deep meaning. And that Darby was OCD and interested in things just to have something to occupy her mind, more than the importance of her detective work.

This cynical realization has a parallel to Bill's son killing him, in a meaningless act directed by an unfeeling faulty A.I.

I guess there are similarities between the "minds" of Darby, Andy and the A.I. Ray. Kind of robotic.

by Anonymousreply 140December 20, 2023 6:01 PM

I wonder if all the B story actors on the show watched it and thought “what a waste of my time.”

by Anonymousreply 141December 20, 2023 6:06 PM

Lee is so stupid she probably thought Bill couldn’t finish when he probably came inside her and then fell asleep.

I had to laugh at Lee throwing a burning laptop like it was a Molotov cocktail.

by Anonymousreply 142December 20, 2023 6:08 PM

Just saw three episodes and thought it was sloppy, poorly written, and just all around, well, sloppy and poorly written. Read at the reviews on IMDB -- they get it, and hate it.

by Anonymousreply 143December 20, 2023 6:18 PM

This is one of those shows that had so much promise in the first two episodes and then completely jumped the shark by the finale.

by Anonymousreply 144December 20, 2023 7:08 PM

[quote] I wonder if all the B story actors on the show watched it and thought “what a waste of my time.”

They’re thankful to be working.

by Anonymousreply 145December 20, 2023 9:03 PM

[quote]I guess something about Bill's epiphany after the serial killer shot himself. That the murderer and the murders had no deep meaning. And that Darby was OCD and interested in things just to have something to occupy her mind, more than the importance of her detective work.

I think what Bill was trying to tell Darby was that her obsession were perhaps less to do with finding justice for the victims, and more to do with her inability to deal with the here and now. She'd rather live her life on her phone, on her laptop, researching things, rather than to take the time to just be.

by Anonymousreply 146December 21, 2023 2:26 AM

R146 maybe she should take time to shave her armpits.

by Anonymousreply 147December 21, 2023 2:52 AM

Growing up in a morgue gave her great insights, but also a clinical detachment from the victims. The juxtaposition between the serial killer plot and the hotel deaths, specifically Bill’s shows us Darby’s emotional arc. She’s more emotionally invested in the victim because it’s someone she cares about and she understands the stakes.

by Anonymousreply 148December 21, 2023 3:04 AM

Bill certainly underlined a lot of shit in Darby’s book. He couldn’t have scribbled out ray’s name? Cmon, bill.

by Anonymousreply 149December 21, 2023 3:25 AM

I really didn't like this show. Brit, you really disappointed me.

That said, the actor who played Darby was some serious eye candy for me, having never watched The Crown. Maybe that's the show I should be watching.

by Anonymousreply 150December 21, 2023 11:46 AM

I'm a guy, but Corrin does look good on camera and the camera loves her. Great microfacial expressions as well.

I also expected way more from Brit.

by Anonymousreply 151December 21, 2023 12:10 PM

At least I’m not the only one disappointed with Brit Marlow.

by Anonymousreply 152December 21, 2023 1:11 PM

I’d be into seeing the character of Darby again, in a better mystery/show.

by Anonymousreply 153December 22, 2023 2:27 PM

R149 You're right! Wtf, Bill? How hard is writing R A Y with your blood soaked finger?

by Anonymousreply 154December 23, 2023 4:25 AM

You try writing something when you're zoning out of consciousness after you just overdosed on morphine.

by Anonymousreply 155December 23, 2023 4:43 AM

Yes, that would believable if that wasn’t the only thing that didn’t make sense in the series. R155

by Anonymousreply 156December 23, 2023 5:29 AM

That shits gotta go, Emma cornwin. Fucking ugly.

by Anonymousreply 157December 23, 2023 5:37 AM

[quote] You try writing something when you're zoning out of consciousness after you just overdosed on morphine

Yet, while overdosing on morphine, he was able to figure out that he'd just been unintentionally murdered by a child as part of a game designed by a rogue AI carrying out the wishes of its creator due to "faulty programming," which he was then able to find in a several hundred page book and circle. Sure.

by Anonymousreply 158December 23, 2023 2:02 PM

Was it ever explained how a shot contained an overdose of morphine? Seems like that would be dangerous to anyone and make the shots unsafe for all.

by Anonymousreply 159December 23, 2023 2:29 PM

I assume it came pre-loaded and a licensed physician is then meant to lower the dose as needed before administering the shot. It was one of those Star Trek hyposprays that haven't really taken off in real life outside of mass vaccinations in places like sub-Saharan Africa.

by Anonymousreply 160December 23, 2023 2:37 PM

Eva mentioning the "HIPAA oath" instead of the "Hippocratic oath" still makes me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 161January 1, 2024 8:07 AM

This show would have improved with a few more cute men and some good display of flesh.

by Anonymousreply 162January 1, 2024 9:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!