Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Drew Barrymore gives in to the mob and suspends her show

Drew Barrymore put out an apologetic statement to announce she is backing off her attempt to restart her talk show until the end of the ongoing Writers’ Guild of America strike.

The actress and talk show host released her statement on Instagram, saying “I have listened to everyone” after her attempted show restart generated major outrage.

“I am making the decision to pause the show’s premiere until the strike is over,” Barrymore wrote. “I have no words to express my deepest apologies to anyone I have hurt and, of course, to our incredible team who works on the show and has made it what it is today. We really tried to find our way forward. And I truly hope for a resolution for the entire industry very soon.”

Barrymore’s announcement follows a video statement in which she addressed the backlash, saying “Nothing I can do that will make this okay for those it is not okay with. I fully accept that.”

“I fully understand that there are so many reasons why this is so complex and I just want everyone to know my intentions have never been in a place to upset or hurt anyone,” she said.

------------------

Of course the mob can never truely be mollified

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 19, 2023 9:09 AM

The writers strike back in the 2000s made a Trump presidency possible. Since most reality shows are scripted, I am curious how the apprentice got around the blockade imposed by the strike.

Team Drew.

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2023 3:55 PM

Just in time....maybe.

This might blow over but it is a blot on Drew's reputation. It was a disastrous move to restart her show during the WGA strike, and there are many who probably won't work with her now. Kind of a dummy, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2023 4:06 PM

I’m glad she is supporting organized labor. I wish she would’ve done so from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2023 4:13 PM

Drew isn’t the brightest light bulb but what a stupid move she made. She makes a hell of a lot of money and I’m sure the thought of possibly losing her cash cow entered into her “careful” re-thinking of the situation.

Does Trump have to be introduced into every thread?

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2023 4:13 PM

Wait so why is The View still on?

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2023 4:17 PM

The View doesn't have WGA writers so no one has to cross a picket line to participate in the show. Drew's show was asking every guest and audience member to cross the the WGA picket line.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2023 4:21 PM

I wish The View, The Talk, (and other shows) were showing solidarity.

The strikes would be settled more quickly if more people/shows (even if they technically don’t have to) sowed support for the strikes.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2023 4:24 PM

She's lovable Drew who made a boo boo. All will be forgiven.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2023 4:25 PM

BURN THE WITCH!

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2023 4:30 PM

[quote]gives in to the mob

[quote]the mob can never truely be mollified

First, fuck you OP for casting striking writers, actors and others as "the mob". What Barrymore did damaged the unions on strike, and the reaction was legitimate and appropriate.

Second, that Barrymore realized her mistake and corrected it shows character.

Third, it's a good result that her efforts motivated strikers and their union to take action in a sign of solidarity. Whether it's Hollywood or Detroit that is trying to cast workers aside, management is looking for cracks in the community and will exploit them when found. Barrymore's testing of this principle is ultimately for the better as the result was good.

Union solidarity won. We, the people, won this battle. The war isn't over, so untie your panties OP and stop trying to support corporate greed over people's livelihoods.

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2023 5:03 PM

Did that ketchup bottle just move?

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2023 5:06 PM

She's dizzy and has no other choice, at this point, but to respect the strike.

She's shilling products (outside of her dumb talk show) and she should have SAVINGS, like everybody else is supposed to have.

Never thought she'd be this greedy.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2023 5:13 PM

She’s supposedly worth $120 million. Money can’t buy you brains.

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2023 5:17 PM

Come ye and behold the Unmobbibles. The dragons in their den whom no noble Knight dares't challenge with union pin, nor with peasants shackled together in a picket line, nor even in a final extremity the intimidating letter from Rosie the Queen of the Dragons

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2023 5:36 PM

I"m preparing a list of actors who couldn't get a job so they got a talk show instead or to a lesser extent a game show. I'll post it later and other DLers can fill in the blanks I've missed.

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2023 7:15 PM

Johnny Carson, Game Show Host

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2023 7:21 PM

Sherri Shepard, Tameron Hall and Jennifer Hudson seem to be getting away with it. It's way too cornfusing.

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2023 7:27 PM

She is an imbecile

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2023 7:28 PM

Black Wins! ❤️

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2023 7:28 PM

R10 times 10! I couldn’t agree more!

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2023 8:02 PM

OP = Log Cabinette corporate ass kisser.

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2023 8:08 PM

Drew gives in...

as she should.

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2023 8:16 PM

Oh come on. Drew is not a stupid woman. She made a mistake, she apologised and corrected it.

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2023 8:16 PM

Remember after 9/11 when SNL asked Ben Stiller to host the show because he was in NY? And he refused? He had a movie coming out and 9/11 set the opening date for his movie back and he would only do SNL right when his movie was coming out.

So they asked Drew Barrymore who was in LA. She didn’t want to get on a plane and fly out from LA as it would be a passenger flight filled with jet fuel, like the plane heading to LA on 9/11. They talked her into agreeing and then when she got to NBC anthrax was detected at 30 Rock and an NBC employee tested positive.

It led to a big kerfuffle with spoiled bastard Ben Stiller. Marcy Klein made a remark about how he was cowardly not to do the show when little Drew Barrymore got on a flight from LA and traveled to NY. Ben Stiller had a fit. It was a Battle of the Nepo Babies. Eventually Klein apologized to Stiller.

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2023 10:03 PM

R17 if its a show that did not /does not have WGA staff, then there’s no picket line. So if there’s a different SAG contract for the show and no WGA staff no issue. Although one might think they could choose to stand down in basic solidarity with their industry colleagues —the unions won’t insist on it.

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2023 10:09 PM

Good move.

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2023 11:16 PM

R23. Yes, Drew made a mistake. But when the stakes are this high and it concerns a strike of writers and actors totaling more than 150,000 people, expect to take a lot of heat for a stupid, insensitive decision.

Plus, Drew didn't make this decision in a vacuum. She has executives and a production department who no doubt weighed in on the collective decision. She may have "owned" it, but many others also had a voice.

I like Bill Maher, but he should be next for the heat for his arrogant decision to return. Yes, others are suffering too such as directors and production assistants and even nearby restaurants who depend on local business, but that is the nature of a strike. The studios must give in and pay the writers and actors a decent living--not Drew Barrymore and Bill Maher who decide they have had enough and want to get back on stage despite being concerned about others on their staff.

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2023 11:20 PM

Drew is exhausting

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2023 11:39 PM

R1 Not sure what you’re talking about. The WGA strike started in November of 2007. Trump’s Apprentice had been on for three years by that time. You’ll have to look deeper into the American psyche to figure out why he was elected.

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2023 11:59 PM

You know what in show business if you don't make enough money you find another job. It's always been like that and it will never change. And the writers make a lot of money already and turned down a better offer. The only legitimate gripe they have is AI. There's a broken heart for every light on Broadway a very old saying. You know when silents went to sound orchestra members who played for silent films committed suicide. Though most found other jobs. She was an idiot to give in. Especially when a show like The View continues and refuses to show solidarity. What the fuck happened to solidarity in professions?

by Anonymousreply 30September 18, 2023 12:01 AM

"Sources say that she appeared to have been drinking - her speech was slurred and she was babbling"

by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2023 12:02 AM

You Libtards are weak minded bitches

by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2023 1:35 AM

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐚𝐥𝐤 also wimps out.

A spokesperson for CBS told The Post on Sunday that “’The Talk’ is pausing its season premiere” and “will continue to evaluate plans for a new launch date.”

The Post reached out to the WGA for comment.

“The Talk,” which is hosted by Akbar Gbajabiamila, Amanda Kloots, Natalie Morales, Jerry O’Connell and Sheryl Underwood, went dark in May as Hollywood writers began striking over higher wages and more residuals.

Sunday’s announcement, which followed protests outside tapings of “The Talk,” comes mere hours after Drew Barrymore revealed she will also postpone the return of her own talk show until the strike ends.

----------------

The View gets the entire daytime housewife/unemployed welfare bum audience to itself. Rosie leaves them alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2023 12:48 PM

A picket line is not a mob, OP, you idiot.

by Anonymousreply 34September 18, 2023 12:51 PM

R30 "You know when silents went to sound orchestra members who played for silent films committed suicide. Though most found other jobs."

This is a myth.

by Anonymousreply 35September 18, 2023 1:48 PM

R23 She may not be dumb but she is so self-centered she could not predict the optics. She thought she was going to post a two paragraph statement on IG (where she did not even think to add that most cliché of clichés, “I’ll be putting most of my team back to work”) and that would be that…she thought she would get by with the public on the good will she has banked with them.

But no one likes scabs and the media loves a conflict.

She’ll be in jail for a while, during which time she can obsess over how to present her inevitable mea culpa.

by Anonymousreply 36September 18, 2023 2:07 PM

[quote] she is so self-centered she could not predict the optics

I think she figured if The View progressives could do it, why not her ? It's a fair question.

by Anonymousreply 37September 18, 2023 2:16 PM

The writers strike is important. It's not a mob, as the righwingers on this site like to say. It's a group of highly underpaid people who are fighting to stop being more underpaid. Meanwhile, the studio execs are making tens of millions of dollars doing nothing but lunching with each other and making deals with top stars, many of whom are, in private, still making deals.

This is America, where only those who have a great deal of money are allowed to make more money.

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2023 2:35 PM

[quote] This is America, where only those who have a great deal of money are allowed to make more money.

Speaking of which, Joy and the scabs of the View come on in 15 minutes

by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2023 2:45 PM

r24 I completely understand Ben's POV. At the end of the day, this was a work engadgement and he was trying to ensure his company made the most money possible by timing his appearance, as every guest has done. If the movie studio wanted Ben to perform after 9/11, he would have. Clearly, he and the studio didn't want to waste an appearance just because he's in NYC.

Show business is a business not a charity.

by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2023 2:49 PM

What happened to her looks? Nobody will ever fuck her again! Is she celibate ?

by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2023 2:53 PM

She made a mistake. She corrected it. End of story really. It's a very confusing time for people. I'm sure she was thinking of her staff and crew who need to get back to work. But she wasn't thinking long term, about the strike or frankly her career in Hollywood and getting future guests to come on. It was a big mistake. She needs to show support for the strike and she has now both in actions and words.

by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2023 3:09 PM

I've seen the meme on several sites that explains the strike and why they're out there with a simple calculation: if the studio heads would give back just 2% of their annual salaries, every single one of the writers' and actors' demands could be met for the entire year.

[quote]And the writers make a lot of money

This is, simply put, a lie. A few writers and actors make a lot of money while the rest of them — like 98% — make so little they have to have side gigs to support themselves and their families between writing and acting jobs.

Stand with the unions. They're doing the right thing.

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2023 4:05 PM

Drew looks very much like a Midwestern mom in that photo. I'm not criticizing. It's just surprising how normal and unHollywood she looks.

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2023 4:58 PM

And yeah, she was most likely worried about her staff being out of a job.

by Anonymousreply 45September 18, 2023 4:59 PM

𝐁𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐌𝐚𝐡𝐞𝐫 also wimps on his audience

ᵂʰᵃᵗ ⁿᵒʷ ᵂʰᵒᵒᵖᶦ ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2023 5:45 PM

I love how OP tries to recast her right-wing plutocratic billionaire-fellating as an act of liberation. What a joke

by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2023 6:47 PM

R45 she’s free to pay a stipend to her staff…

by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2023 6:50 PM

Proudly plutocratic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2023 7:08 PM

R44, her "relatable" looks were no doubt quite conscious and intentionally chosen for that apology.

by Anonymousreply 50September 18, 2023 7:12 PM

You know the same ppl who call union members pushing back against scabbing "the Mob!" also call trans ppl on twitter "the Mob!"

They're hysterical drama queens who have cast themselves as the hero in a movie only they know about in order to distract themselves from how disappointingly ordinary their lives are.

by Anonymousreply 51September 18, 2023 8:27 PM

R50 I'm more surprised by the lack of fillers, Botox and nips and tucks as opposed to the styling

by Anonymousreply 52September 18, 2023 8:56 PM

I did some research on this. The View does use WGA writers. However, Sherri Shepherd and Tamron Hall do not. Whew. I like Tamron. I like Joy Behar and I'm disappointed in her.

by Anonymousreply 53September 18, 2023 9:11 PM

You research clearly did not involve reading the thread, or you would have completed your research much sooner.

by Anonymousreply 54September 18, 2023 9:17 PM

The anti-union assholes screaming at the top of the lungs about "the mob" (like Miss OP) are notably silent when multi-billionaires and corporate executives continue to raise their pay and conspicuously silent about the ever widening gap between the 1% and the rest of us.

Why is that? Are they really the gutless, spineless cowards they seem to be?

by Anonymousreply 55September 18, 2023 9:34 PM

The best way to get uncancelled is to release photos of yourself half-naked when in the throes of an abortion/miscarriage. Have the fetus cremated, name them and talk/cry/post on instagram about them endlessly, even making out that your children consider the ashes to be a living being.

Then have two more babies and call Backgrid weekly.

by Anonymousreply 56September 18, 2023 11:04 PM

R30 How would you know? ALL the downtown movie palaces that had 3,000 to 5,000 seats and there were a lot(even in the boroughs like Loew's King in Brooklyn or Loew's Jersey in Jersey City) had huge orchestras that played for silent films. When sound came in all those jobs vanished and there was no where else to go. The great symphony orchestras had their staff and if you were lucky you could get into a Hollywood studio. There were a lot of musicians and not enough jobs. Eugene Ormandy honed his craft at the Capitol(2001 in Cinerama closed the place) across from the Winter Garden when it was a silent movie house.

You must think nobody killed themselves after the Wall Street crash or nobody has ever killed themselves after losing a job.

by Anonymousreply 57September 18, 2023 11:22 PM

omg, who even watches all these awful shows?

by Anonymousreply 58September 18, 2023 11:57 PM

No Drew, the writer's strike is not a complex issue. It's a clear moral, economic and societal issue on whether you believe writers should earn a fair salary for their work and not be taken advantage of by major conglomerate media companies and their multi-million earning executives.

by Anonymousreply 59September 18, 2023 11:58 PM

I don’t know watch any of these talk shows except Kelly Clarkson and only when I get home in time. She is actually a very good host. Her southern quirk actually works for this type of format. Also this woman can sing anything. ANYTHING. She is the only one of all these chicas who can sing better than Queen Bey.

by Anonymousreply 60September 19, 2023 1:21 AM

Hone his craft? Ormandy played violin as a fill-in job before focusing permanently on conducting. That theater was famous for its organ not its orchestra..

by Anonymousreply 61September 19, 2023 2:32 AM

R42 “I'm sure she was thinking of her staff and crew who need to get back to work.”

Why are you sure? She neglected to mention that in her numerous posts on the topic and that is normally the type of sentiment people begin with, as a convenient excuse. Yet she never mentioned that.

“I own this choice. We are in compliance with not discussing or promoting film and television that is struck of any kind ... Our show was built for sensitive times and has only functioned through what the real world is going through in real time. I want to be there to provide what writers do so well, which is a way to bring us together or help us make sense of the human experience ... We have navigated difficult times since we first came on air, and so I take a step forward to start season 4 once again with an astute humility."

by Anonymousreply 62September 19, 2023 3:45 AM

Drew is a moron.

by Anonymousreply 63September 19, 2023 4:52 AM

[quote]The writers strike back in the 2000s made a Trump presidency possible.

The Apprentice started in 2004. There was no strike, hon.

by Anonymousreply 64September 19, 2023 6:10 AM

[quote]You know the same ppl who call union members pushing back against scabbing "the Mob!" also call trans ppl on twitter "the Mob!"

You keep trying this in every thread, troll. Get going.

by Anonymousreply 65September 19, 2023 6:11 AM

R63 she really isn't. She's actually pretty smart.

She is, however, an emotional wreck.

by Anonymousreply 66September 19, 2023 8:11 AM

I'm surprised it took her so long to realise going ahead with her show was a silly move.

Better late than never I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 67September 19, 2023 9:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!