Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The rise of the anti-natalists

DL fave Youtube channel, Soft White Underbelly, uploaded a new video this week of Mark interviewing Amanda, an anti-natalist (link below).

I'd never heard the term anti-natalist before now but after watching this interview, I'm surprised it hasn't been espoused of Datalounge more often. Its tenets seem to fit in line with how many Dataloungers feel/believe.

Basically, its adherents view life not as a gift and a miracle, but a harm and an imposition. The basic tenet of anti-natalism is that life, even under the best of circumstances, is not a gift or a miracle, but rather a harm and an imposition. According to this logic, the question of whether to have a child is not just a personal choice but an ethical one – and the correct answer is always no.

The interviewee, Amanda, said their philosophy now applies to all sentient beings including animals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2023 10:00 PM

Amanda makes a great case for not having children... just by looking at her.

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2023 12:53 AM

Discussed earlier this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2023 12:53 AM

Another thread that discusses anti-natalism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2023 12:55 AM

I’m not a huge fan of this lady and i’m sure she will be mocked for her appearance on this thread, but I’m definitely an antinatalist.

There’s about 6 billion more people on earth than there should be.

Every cradle is a grave, and no one ever got hurt by NOT being born.

I personally dislike existence and never asked for it. An idiot jizzed into another idiot 40 years ago and now I have to go to work every day??? How miraculous.

I had my tubes tied in my twenties because I never wanted to subject another human being to my crappy genetics and to this world generally.

There are some good books and articles about this issue, one is linked below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2023 12:59 AM

I didn't watch the video, but I share the views. So many people popping out kids give no thought to what they are actually doing which is providing more slaves to the system. It's why they overturned Roe V. Wade. They are realizing they will need more soldiers as cannon fodder and low income workers to help the rich become richer. A rich person will always have access to abortion.

Personally, I've enjoyed some of my life but I'll admit that most of it is just struggle. My parents were poor and so am I even though I paid for college on my own. My parents have never helped me with money...in fact once I turned 18 they charged me rent and I got the hell out and have been on my own ever since. It's always been a struggle for me to survive. My life might have been easier if I had come from money but then again, one never knows. That being said, I opted to not reproduce because I didn't want to pass on my own mental health issues and now health issues to a child, nor could I afford a child. I have zero regrets. I honestly don't understand why people want to bring children into this world.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2023 1:00 AM

Reddit even has an Antinatalism subreddit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2023 1:04 AM

[quote] There’s about 6 billion more people on earth than there should be.

More like 7.5 billion.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2023 1:05 AM

R4, I, too, had a tubal ligation in my 20s. My husband and I simply didn't want children (at 74, I do wonder at that choice, though, given that I'm very alone now! But I digress.).

We were h.s. teachers, same school. One time a class weisenheimer asked me why I had no children. I told him he wouldn't like my answer. He persisted. So I told him:

"Having a child is sentencing someone to death."

No student ever asked me again.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2023 1:06 AM

It sounds like these are just the people who could never get laid. Even old people who used to get laid aren’t this miserable.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2023 1:09 AM

you’re right r7 :)

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2023 1:12 AM

I can’t imagine even the most fortunate human being saying, wow this life thing is a blast. I have to make sure more people get in on the action. They only reasons for having children are supremely selfish ones.

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2023 1:13 AM

you are an inspiration r8 :)

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2023 1:13 AM

most people get pregnant because they want cute babies to show off, similar to getting a kitten or a puppy or a doll.

If humans emerged as hairy, fully formed adults would procreation be as popular??

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2023 1:18 AM

[quote] If humans emerged as hairy, fully formed adults would procreation be as popular??

Fuck no.

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2023 1:20 AM

R8 is the official Datalounge Sex-Ed teacher.

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2023 1:23 AM

[quote]If humans emerged as hairy, fully formed adults would procreation be as popular??

YES - If they all looked like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2023 1:25 AM

Here you go expectant mothers, your precious baby boy at age 40!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2023 1:27 AM

I believe Richard Dawkins addressed and settled this issue 50 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2023 1:28 AM

R18 Bizarrely, he's actually pro-natalist.

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2023 1:30 AM

The main reason gay men turn their noses up at baby making is because they can’t passively get pregnant. If men could have babies and I risked getting bottoms pregnant by dumping raw loads in them, I’d probably have a few teenage kids at this point. And I’d be fine with that. It’s easy for you motherfuckers to stand there finger wagging about procreation when you never had to risk unexpected pregnancies every single time you got some dick.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2023 1:37 AM

Under population hasn't been an issue for a long time, whereas overpopulation certainly is in certain areas. Overpopulation is bad on the economy, and not giving women control over their own reproduction can enslave them to childbirth.

Birth control should be freely available to everyone, but foremost to women.

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2023 1:42 AM

[quote] Basically, its adherents view life not as a gift and a miracle, but a harm and an imposition. The basic tenet of anti-natalism is that life, even under the best of circumstances, is not a gift or a miracle, but rather a harm and an imposition.

Did ChatGPT or a mediocre high school student write this?

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2023 1:50 AM

[quote]The main reason gay men turn their noses up at baby making is because they can’t passively get pregnant.

No, try again.

It's because there are too many fucking people in the world as it is.

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2023 2:42 AM

I have always been very much committed to not being a child into the world myself, and it would be an enormous long-term benefit if the human race ceased to exist, but I am glad I’m not part of the final generations of human beings. That would be unimaginably grim

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2023 2:58 AM

[quote] but I am glad I’m not part of the final generations of human beings

Perhaps you are as am I.

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2023 2:59 AM

R25. This is datalounge. There are enough generations younger than me already in existence. I’m in a pretty safe position.

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2023 3:03 AM

I'm not anti-natalist, but I do think that people that do not want children should not have them - it would be better if it was something people had to deliberately opt into because they want to. Too many children are born into horrible environments of abuse, addiction and violence to people that dont give a shit about them and really should not be in charge of a insect let alone a child

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2023 3:15 AM

What in the mentally ill hell?

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2023 3:22 AM

The anti natalist seems like a very nice and sincere person but I think she’s just going to convince people anti-natalists are just misfits.

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2023 3:50 AM

"It’s easy for you motherfuckers to stand there finger wagging about procreation when you never had to risk unexpected pregnancies every single time you got some dick."

You're joking with this, right? Because women who use birth control and use it correctly rarely get pregnant. I think there is like a 2% chance of it happening while on birth control. Women who take risks by fucking men while not on birth control are idiots.

And there's really no such thing as an "Unexpected Pregnancy." If you are a straight women and having sex with men while not using birth control, then you should expect to get pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2023 10:05 AM

Where did you get that 2 percent figure and over what time period are you claiming it applies? Obviously, if it is a 2 percent risk per sexual encounter, that’s an enormous risk. I think it’s a figure you just made up.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2023 11:22 AM

This seems like an argument that chases its own tail. The only way to be anti-existence is to exist in the first place, and I no longer get high enough to find that paradox compelling.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2023 11:39 AM

I liked it better in Ecclesiastes 4:2-3

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2023 11:49 AM

The world is being destroyed by the least educated, least intelligent, least financially secure, least emotionally mature groups of people having litters of children… while the inverse is rarely true.

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2023 11:56 AM

[quote] I no longer get high enough to find that paradox compelling.

Not for older folks. But what I find interesting, for me anyway, is that when I think of the possibility of my soul (if you believe in that sort of thing) being reborn, I feel dread. Even though my consciousness would have no memory of a previous life. So it doesn’t really make any sense, but I feel the dread anyway.

I did not realize I was an antinatalist, because I’ve never had discussions with any of my friends around this topic. I suppose as a Gen Xer I havent wanted to come across as whiny. A lot of my friends are just-get-on-with-it types. But honestly, anyone who has dealt with serious mental illness can probably relate to an antinatalist point of view.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2023 12:08 PM

r31, google is your friend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2023 9:47 PM

R36. Why did you post this in response to my post and why are you telling me about Google? . I think you’re confused.

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2023 9:55 PM

Because you asked about where I got the info about birth control, dummy. -r36

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2023 10:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!