Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Spandau Blue only have one big hit single in the USA with “True” (1983)?

They had so good songs and a few were modest hits, but this was their only song to crack the Top 10, peaking at #4. I used to love this song (as many did at the time). They were a part of the second wave British Invasion that happened in the 80s.

What a time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 26, 2023 10:39 PM

Not sure about Spandau Blue, but Spandau Ballet was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2023 2:24 PM

I love "True," and hearing it takes me right back to the '80s. It helps that it was featured in 16 Candles.

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2023 2:28 PM

I love "True," and hearing it takes me right back to the '80s. It helps that it was featured in 16 Candles.

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2023 2:28 PM

r3 Déjà vu

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2023 2:35 PM

r4, Miss Warwick has NOTHING to do with this thread.

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2023 2:36 PM

[quote]I love "True," and hearing it takes me right back to the '80s.

Same here, it. was a wonderful time in my life, I had a great job, a hot BF and a nice apt in NYC, life was good.

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2023 2:37 PM

Spandau Ballet. I was listening to it as I typed this and it was on the ooh ooh ooh oooooh ooooooh part and when I was a kid I used to sing it as blue blue blue blueeee blueeee and would call them Spandau Blue. It just sort of came out and I didn’t realize I typed Blue instead of Ballet lol

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2023 2:37 PM

Yeah, no idea why that double-posted.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2023 2:38 PM

Except I'm R2 & 3. 🙄🫣

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2023 2:39 PM

I actually feel sad and a bit of depression when I think of the 80s, and not because I found it depressing but because I find myself longing for the 80s or 90s again. What a time. Even those who didn’t have a lot of money could get by somehow, things just felt fun and fresh and it was truly a time to be alive. Shit now just feels… a mess.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2023 2:39 PM

I love Spandau Ballet, mainly because their repertoire was quite good. Gold remains my favourite song of theirs to this day.

Also, the fact that Tony Hadley, Martin Kemp and Gary Norman were gorgeous, did help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2023 2:42 PM

Spandau Ballet had many great singles that never caught on in America -- "Gold", " To Cut A Long Story Short", " Only When You Leave", "Chant No.1" and "I'll Fly For You", among others. I love them, never understood why they weren't bigger here.

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2023 2:42 PM

I know they broke up in 1990 and then got back together in 2009 for a little while. I believe some of them sued one of the others.

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2023 2:44 PM

Underrated band for sure, OP.

And this comes from someone who generally dislikes 80s music.

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2023 8:59 PM

80s music was all over the place and I like that the 80s brought us tons of variety, from bubblegum pop to electronic to punk rock etc.

It’s a lot different than now, where hip hop/R&B and country seem to dominate.

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2023 9:08 PM

Why did they go by Spandau Ballet?

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2023 11:44 AM

no dangly earring.

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2023 12:04 PM

STEVE Norman, not Gary

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2023 12:10 PM

I loved their videos on MTV and went out and bought their LPs as a young college student at the time: Musclebound, Instinction, Paint Me Down, Chant No. 1... lots of great stuff.

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2023 12:22 PM

R19 I loved them also.

by Anonymousreply 20October 25, 2023 8:44 PM

Steve Norman was gorgeous.

There was a great docu on them out a few years ago called “The Soul Boys of the Western World”

by Anonymousreply 21October 25, 2023 9:56 PM

Needed a better name for their band.

by Anonymousreply 22October 25, 2023 10:13 PM

[quote]the 80s brought us tons of variety

If you like your variety synth-flavored.

by Anonymousreply 23October 25, 2023 10:59 PM

True stands out from other New Romantic hits - it’s unusually dramatic and has some odd timings that surprise the listener. I think it’s easily one of the most memorable songs of the entire genre .

by Anonymousreply 24October 25, 2023 11:48 PM

[quote] True stands out from other New Romantic hits - it’s unusually dramatic and has some odd timings that surprise the listener. I think it’s easily one of the most memorable songs of the entire genre .

"True" was unique because it is SB's interpolation of American soul music. New Romantics created new wave by leaning on synths to amalgamate punk, glam rock and disco. There is no other "True" in SB's catalog even though they have many great tracks, as cited above. It was a lightning strike of brilliance.

by Anonymousreply 25October 26, 2023 12:18 AM

Also, Tony Hadley had the best voice of that movement.

by Anonymousreply 26October 26, 2023 12:19 AM

Thank you for coming home, sorry the chairs are all worn, I left them here, I could have sworn

These are my salad days slowly being eaten away, just another play for today

Oh, but I'm proud of you, but I'm proud of you, nothing left to make me feel small

Luck has left me standing so tall…

… Gold!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 26, 2023 1:19 AM

I liked Chant No 1

by Anonymousreply 28October 26, 2023 9:21 PM

The story behind their name back in the day was pretty gross, but I don't know how much truth there is to it. In this day and age, I am surprised it hasn't been re-discovered and caused them to be canceled. Probably because no one remembers them.

Spandau was a Nazi prison and when people were hanged there, their jerky motions were referred to as doing the "Spandau Ballet."

I heard this back in the 80s, so it's not something new.

by Anonymousreply 29October 26, 2023 9:27 PM

[quote] Spandau Ballet. I was listening to it as I typed this and it was on the ooh ooh ooh oooooh ooooooh part and when I was a kid I used to sing it as blue blue blue blueeee blueeee and would call them Spandau Blue.

I wonder if one could sing it as Dan, Dany booo-ooon. Flu Flu Flu FLUUUU Flu.

by Anonymousreply 30October 26, 2023 9:28 PM

I see what you did there, R30!

by Anonymousreply 31October 26, 2023 10:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!