Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Legal opinions

Do you believe that anyone who commits murder should get the death penalty or life without parole, no matter what?

A friend and I were talking today this subject came up. She said “Well, you can’t hold a child accountable for something like that.” I told her if you do an adult crime, you should do adult time. No exceptions.

She looked at me slack-jawed and asked if I thought a 2-year old who threw a lit match and started a fire that killed someone should be charged with murder. I told her yes. I don’t see how your age should get you off the hook. I don’t care if the child can understand or not.

What say you?

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2023 5:50 PM

You ignorant slut.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2023 2:53 AM

How am I ignorant?

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2023 2:54 AM

Intention matters in defining a criminal offense. Almost by definition, children are not deemed capable of forming criminal intention—they just don’t know enough yet about the consequences of actions. Certainly not at age 2.

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2023 3:09 AM

I am adamantly opposed to the death penalty, with the execution of two year olds. They should fry if they kill anyone.

Oh and millennials. Automatic death penalty. No crime needed.

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2023 3:55 AM

OP, are you a member of the Texas state legislature? Or Alabama? Or Mississippi?

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2023 4:40 AM

Children are children. It's a fact that they aren't developed. We can't afford to throw away everyone. the only society that has successfully eliminated crime is Japan, and they did it by dividing the country into sets of five extended families. Any crime by any one of the set brought collective punishment on all five families. And this proved to be the only way to get people to internalize social control. This no longer happens in Japan but the practice of collective responsibility is so strong that they still have minimal crime.

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2023 4:49 AM

Not a child, and anyone under 12-14 or so should be getting life, not the death penalty.

If the death penalty s to be used at all it should only be for the absolute worst cases where the offender has killed deliberately and without provocation, but life without parole achieves the same practical result - stopping them from reoffending which is kind of the point

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2023 9:45 AM

You forgot to sign your name, Mrs Ramsey.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2023 11:15 AM

There should be a show about a prison populated with murderous toddlers.

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2023 11:18 AM

I am fundamentally opposed to the death penalty, but I wouldn’t mind it in the case of the op (who, i am assuming, is a troll)

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2023 11:23 AM

[quote] Intention matters in defining a criminal offense.

I doubt if the dead person or their family/friends cares about intention.

[quote]Almost by definition, children are not deemed capable of forming criminal intention—they just don’t know enough yet about the consequences of actions.

Then why not show them?

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2023 3:08 PM

Prince Mohammed bin Salman! Welcome to Datalounge! For a raging psychopath like yourself, this is a strong first OP!

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2023 3:11 PM

What's your major, OP?

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2023 4:29 PM

Only the USA and Japan among industrialized nations still have the death penalty

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2023 5:01 PM

Two words: mens rea.

I’m sure that Law Latín is too much for Op.

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2023 5:25 PM

You are not looking for a legal opinion, OP. You are stating a moral opinion.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2023 5:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!