Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Drew Barrymore Gets Dragged By Alyssa Milano, Bradley Whitford, and Debra Messing

Drew Barrymore this morning posted an emotional apology to WGA members regarding her decision to return to her daytime talk show amid the ongoing WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes. A number of high-profile actors, writers and organizations responded, most not happy. Barrymore has since removed the apology from her Instagram page.

Alyssa Milano told the AP that, while “I love her very much, this is not the right move,” saying it “impacts the strength of our movement.” She ended by calling it, “Not a great move.”

Bradley Whitford, who’s been a frequent picketer even beyond West Wing Day, tried sarcasm.

“Drew Barrymore would like you to know that undermining union solidarity at the most crucial moment in Hollywood labor history makes her the victim,” he wrote. “This has been, like, a super tough week for her.”

Actor David Krumholtz replied in the comments to Barrymore’s Instagram apology before it was pulled.

“It’s complex for thousands. Who continue to strike and abide by strike rules. Extremely complex,” the Numb3rs actor wrote. “You could shut it down and you’d be considered brave. You’d be forgiven. What makes the strike more complex for thousands of people, is you making a decision that hurts their efforts in trying to achieve a fair deal amidst a cutthroat corporate environment that will use your show as an example of division and disunity.”

Debra Messing also weighed in in the comments on Barrymore’s post writing, “You can choose now to halt production. You can choose to pay your employees like other talk show hosts who have stood in solidarity with the writers. There are thousands of union members jobs and livelihoods that are at stake (exponential more than those who work on your show) and the future of our beloved industry. I hope you will reconsider.”

The WGA issued a statement to Deadline which read,

“Drew Barrymore should not be on the air while her writers are on strike fighting for a fair deal,” a guild spokesperson told Deadline today after the ET actress’ video went up. “In reality, shows like this cannot operate without writing, and that is struck work.”

A spokesperson for CBS Media Ventures, The Drew Barrymore Show producer and distributor, released a statement in response to WGA, saying they “are very mindful and sensitive to the complex circumstances surrounding the show’s return and we will be in full compliance with all our labor agreements and any strike rules.” CBS also noted its hosts work under a separate agreement with SAG-AFTRA that allows Barrymore and other daytime hosts to continue hosting their shows. “While our show has been largely an unscripted talk show from the beginning, the new shows we are producing this season will be completely unscripted until the strike ends,” the statement emphasized, adding “No one on our staff will fill a writing position.” You can read the entire statement at the bottom of the story.

The AFL-CIO, which is about to engage in its own labor action, translated Barrymore’s move to the auto industry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 18, 2023 7:03 AM

I can’t imagine the histrionics in that apology video.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2023 2:21 AM

Op is Hitler…etc.

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2023 2:24 AM

I'm all for unions, but other daytime shows are up with new shows. Why is Drew being singled out for outrage?

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2023 2:26 AM

Isn’t it because they told her show up or you will be fired, and she caved?

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2023 2:34 AM

Hollywood is weird. People get paid to do nothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2023 2:38 AM

r3 I am wondering the same

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2023 2:45 AM

Because Drew is in Sag/Aftra? Not sure Talk show hosts are.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2023 2:46 AM

Whoopi, Joy Behar, Kelly Rip, Mark Consuelos, Sherri Shepherd are all SAG as far as I know.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2023 2:57 AM

Drew's talk show is the first one I've heard about coming back. What were these other shows and other hosts you reference as having come back before she did, R3?

As far as I know, she was the first one to break the strike. She's taking shit for it now and rightly so. She's a middle aged, experienced professional. She's been in this business long enough to know that she can't cross the WGA picket line. Union writers from her show are out there picketing whether she chooses to acknowledge their strike or not.

The Drew Barrymore Show is a struck show. Drew's getting an appropriate reaction to her choices.

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2023 2:59 AM

They’re under different contracts. They are consider news. Soaps and daytime are not affected.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2023 3:00 AM

R9, see r8.

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2023 3:02 AM

You're saying the View came back before Drew Barrymore? And Kelly whatsherface and her husband? News to me, actually it's all news to me because I don't watch daytime tv (or much tv at all). Whoever they are, if they crossed the picket line then they should get exactly the same ration of shit that Drew's getting for exactly the same reasons.

I don't care what kind "special contract" they think they have. If they have WGA writers out on strike then they are a struck show. SAG AFTRA is striking with the WGA. These shows are struck, these people should not be working in any production and they know it. They will pay a price for what they are doing.

Drew probably got more shit because she posted some kind of pathetic "apology video" on a social media thing and then took it down again. She's getting exactly what she deserves.

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2023 3:24 AM

Isn’t her show a chat show, kind of like Ellen? If so, what kind of guests could she have if no tv or film actors could come on and talk about their upcoming projects? I guess people could come on and just shoot the shit, but I always assumed stars did these appearances to fulfill some promotional portion of their film or show contracts.

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2023 4:11 AM

That's largely true but I think the parameters of the strike ban any appearances on struck shows even if they just stop by to hang out. I didn't realize that The View and The Kelly and her husband shows were running. What scumbags. Are they doing it without guests?

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2023 6:48 AM

Ellen did her show during the 2007 writers strike, but only the WGA East rebuked her. This was before AFTRA and SAG merged and she was a member of AFTRA and encouraged by them to do the show since her show was syndicated (unlike the late-night talk shows) and she had contractual obligations to deliver original programming to over 200 stations. Maybe there's still a difference in daytime vs late-night due to syndication and contractual obligations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2023 7:05 AM

The truth is much of Hollywood is dying. It's been slowly dying for years. A lot of the traditional output doesn't pull in the audiences/rvenue of yore. Compare TV talk show ratings today vs the 90s. Television viewership has been declining. The demographic of those who still watch TV is not what advertisers seek. Young people don't watch these shows and won't as they get older. The allure of talk shows was to catch celebs hawking their latest project. No need to watch a show when you can glimpse a quick social media post. There's definitely greed on the part of studios, but they're not completely wrong when they express revenue is down. Box-office isn't what it used to be for non-action/event movies, but those budgets have yet to be reeled in. There is less film output for middle-of-the-road movies. Hollywood is facing a reckoning. And AI isn't helping at all.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2023 7:24 AM

R16 is correct. Also, because you can watch entire seasons in quick succession, there is no build up, timeline, or “season” anymore. Whenever a new show piques our interest, I have to insist to my husband we don’t “eat them all up” too soon. Video games also consume a LOT of attention than every before and outlets like YouTube draw audiences away.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2023 8:22 AM

[quote] Rosie O'Donnell Hits Drew Barrymore With Sharp Advice Amid Talk Show Controversy

Rosie O’Donnell shared three pieces of advice for Drew Barrymore as the talk show host faces backlash for crossing the picket line amid the writers strike.

O’Donnell, who had her own talk show before her time on “The View,” posted a screenshot of an essay from Elizabeth Grey who gave her two cents on Barrymore resuming production of her show.

“Stop taping the show. Stop asking audiences to cross the picket line,” read part of the essay, which O’Donnell shared to her Instagram on Saturday.

“Then ask someone to help you craft three declarative sentences. They should follow along these lines: I made an error. I apologize to the WGA for disrespecting the work of professional writers. I apologize to all union members who are withstanding real hardship as I live a life of luxury.”

O’Donnell captioned the post “advice 4 @drewbarrymore” alongside a heart emoji.

O’Donnell joins a number of others in the entertainment industry who have chastised the host after she announced last week that filming would begin for the new season of “The Drew Barrymore Show” even as the show’s writers were on strike.

Barrymore initially showed solidarity with striking writers when she ditched her gig hosting the MTV Movie and TV Awards in May.

Writers Guild of America members began their strike that month in an effort to get a fair share of streaming profits and for protections around the use of artificial intelligence. (HuffPost’s unionized staff members are also represented by the WGA East.)

The WGA, in a statement last week, wrote that Barrymore’s show is a “WGA-covered, struck show” and any writing is a violation of its strike rules. A spokesperson for CBS told HuffPost that the show would “not be performing any writing work covered by the WGA strike.”

Barrymore’s announcement led to the National Book Foundation taking back its invitation for her to host its award ceremony this year.

The host attempted to defend the decision to resume production on her show in a since-deleted video shared to her Instagram on Friday.

Actors including Bradley Whitford and Debra Messing criticized her over the clip, with Whitford writing that the host “would like you to know that undermining union solidarity at the most crucial moment in Hollywood labor history makes her the victim.”

The WGA, in a statement to multipleoutlets following Barrymore’s video, wrote that the host “should not be on the air while her writers are on strike fighting for a fair deal.”

“Shows like this cannot operate without writing, and that is struck work,” the statement continued.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2023 1:38 PM

Still don't understand why other unions are not supporting them. I believe a lot of crew are in IBEW. They would have to cross the picket lines to work.

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2023 1:57 PM

Disappointed in Drew. I’ve always loved her.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2023 2:22 PM

Drew: “I have listened to everyone, and I am making the decision to pause the show’s premiere until the strike is over."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2023 2:44 PM

Until the strike is over? See ya in 2026, Drew!

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2023 3:24 PM

She’s a feckless cunt

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2023 3:48 PM

R23 = Ivanka Trump

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2023 3:57 PM

Is her show covered or not covered by the strike - it's a simple answer.

The show either is or isn't. If it's not, then why aren't they getting on other unions for not supporting their strike.

Clearly, it's not about her being a member, as she's not functioning as one in her current role and there are plenty of talk show hosts whose shows are on the air who are also members of the union.

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2023 4:02 PM

The Talk decides to postpone their return, after seeing the Drew debacle. The fact that they were considering it is suspect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2023 5:31 PM

Drew Barrymore is such a moron. I can’t imagine her doing her own material off the cuff for an hour.

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2023 5:56 PM

The people who were going to picket Barrymore's show on Monday are now picketing the View.

Those bitches are all members of SAG AFTRA and therefore cannot work on a struck show. Everyone in the audience and everyone who works there is being told to cross the picket line. Disgraceful.

Next go after that fungus Kelly Ripa and her awful (but attractive) husband.

Evidently Tamron Hall's show needs a visit as well.

Shut that shit down until the strike is over.

The other shows that were planning on starting up again have thought better of it, good for them.

by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2023 12:16 AM

Aren't independent movies and actors are allowed to work on them? Like I said above where is solidarity? You close down the entertainment industry and the strike will be over in no time. Even actors in the professional theater should strike. Otherwise If Drew wasn't working with those writers her being bullied into closing was rotten.

by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2023 12:23 AM

WGA is not picketing Tamron Hall or Sherri Shepherd shows. Why? Neither employ WGA workers. Sherri is a standup comedienne and writes her own stuff. Tamron is a journalist and writes her own stuff. According to this article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 18, 2023 12:35 AM

Poor Drew, she can't win

by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2023 1:13 AM

I’m sick of people having to fall into line with everything or get ruined.

Why don’t these actors take a pay cut of a few million on their movies & tv shows so the creative talent can make more.

Why don’t the actors make sure the writers are household names when they reap the benefit of fame from the award winning material. Make it all stop.

by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2023 1:22 AM

How is it the soaps are still on?

by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2023 1:27 AM

Yes R 30 already answered more than once above you

by Anonymousreply 34September 18, 2023 1:28 AM

Isn't The Talk basically a Hollywood show, like ET but with a talk show format? At least The View can lean into politics.

by Anonymousreply 35September 18, 2023 6:12 AM

What is with this money grubbing bitch, Drew that she needs money so badly? She's worth a FORTUNE. Many fortunes. She's got of countertop appliances, kitchen items, a cosmetic company, a clothing company, a wine company, her awful talk show and who knows what else?, but this bitch has money coming in at least ten different ways.

by Anonymousreply 36September 18, 2023 7:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!