Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People who constantly apologize and think they said something offensive when they did not

What is this exactly? Some disorder?

If they think this makes other people think better of them, it actually starts to annoy me after awhile.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2023 5:15 AM

They probably got caught up in some nightmare scenario with an oversensitive person. Therefore, they're more cautious now.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2023 1:46 AM

I’m guessing they grew up in a strict household and constantly had to walk on eggshells.

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2023 1:51 AM

My brother does this—he’s an anxious introvert trying to be polite…to the extreme. I just look past it at this point.

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2023 2:17 AM

Virtue signaling.

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2023 3:04 AM

I started this sorry shit as a kid. My theory is that I was not wanted by my mother, I wasn’t good enough to her (I’m still not good enough for her), and I always feel like I had to apologize for even being alive, I had to say sorry for breathing. Today I have a coach helping me with it and some good friends. Half the battle is noticing when you’re doing it.

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2023 3:40 AM

I have a co-worker worker who prefaces everything who says with five minutes of 'I'm sorry...Maybe it's just me..and I understand if people disagree... I was wondering...and again, I'm sorry.. and perhaps it's not a big deal... it's fine either way but... perhaps... and i don't want to cause any big fuss....

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2023 3:45 AM

Echoing some of what’s been said: My mom’s BPD, so I grew up preemptively apologizing because I never knew what would set her off. It’s a tough habit to shake when it’s core to how you developed. Not as easy as folks seem to think when they say, “Stop apologizing!”

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2023 3:50 AM

Yep I did it a lot when I was younger. My mother was a vulnerable narcissist who never showed one ounce of empathy towards me. Also, one of my siblings bullied me mercilessly for years. Along with the over the top apologizing, I also spoke very quickly, embarrassingly so. Therapists told me I learned this habit as a way to be heard before I got shut down by these toxic family members. I've worked hard as an adult to correct all this.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2023 5:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!