Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rolling Stone Founder: Black, Female Musicians ‘Don’t Articulate’ Like the White Guys

Oh, Jan....Pull My Daisy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2023 12:53 AM

Which is why Rolling Stone magazine has always been a predictable bore

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2023 12:09 AM

What about my tutti frutti?

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2023 12:30 AM

You don't remember me, but I remember you.......I had a lovely high voice on that one, and articulated exceptionally well

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2023 12:32 AM

Hey, Jan, you pansy......R-E-S-P-E-C-T

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2023 12:34 AM

You have no power in the music business, you fuckface Ofay. Go fuck yourself

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2023 12:38 AM

Read the book "Sticky Fingers '. Wenner commissioned the biography and granted access to the author. Said author uncovered what a completely talentless tool Jann is and wrote accordingly. Wenner dismissed the book and wrote his own. The sucess of Rolling Stone was in spite of not because of Wenner. He is a narcissistic man child who exploited just about everybody and is now trying to rewrite history, like Trump.

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2023 12:41 AM

Black, female musicians are articulate, they just do not interest the man.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2023 12:59 AM

You fucking moron, asshole, shitbag, jerk-off, Jann. I guess I never meant anything to white, brown, black. high yellow, asian, latino, and any other male who took the time to listen to my musicianship. Really, go fuck yourself, you narcissistic cunt

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2023 1:32 AM

A shande for the gays!!

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2023 1:35 AM

This "Black Female Musician" can- and she's blowing away the Greats in the audience at the same time (with L.A.'s PCO):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2023 1:39 AM

Nor do they suck cock as well as I.

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2023 1:45 AM

She is excellent r10 . One of my favorite video is Sister Rosetta Tharpe performing for a very very white audience in England.

Jann is allowed to be very white and very uninterested in anything other than being white but he can't be permitted to lie about the value of Black female musicians without correction

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2023 1:48 AM

Black artists like all the rapper whores currently out there? Yes, he right.

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2023 3:05 AM

[quote]Black artists like all the rapper whores currently out there? Yes, he right.

I don’t feel like you are qualified to have an opinion on who is or isn’t articulate.

You not right.

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2023 3:59 AM

Well, that's an efficient way to completely ruin your already checkered legacy.

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2023 4:15 AM

I think for the most part, female musicians don't articulate like guys. Throw race out of there and have the discussion about sex.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2023 4:40 AM

Well, to be devil's advocate, he wasn't saying women can't sing or are bad musicians, he was saying women aren't articulate about their music. He gives examples like Grace Slick and Janis Joplin and it's true, neither of them comes off as very articulate in interviews.

But then the interviewer mentioned Joni Mitchell and of course he had to totally backtrack. He's always been stupid.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2023 4:53 AM

Sure Jann.

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2023 5:38 AM

Love the crisp articulation of Bob Dylan and Joee Cocker

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2023 10:34 AM

You stupid fucking cunt

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2023 8:27 PM

No one has worse diction than Elton John. He’s indecipherable.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2023 8:59 PM

Tell that to Tracy Chapman.

White male Luke Combs covered her song down to the very last lyric, and made it a hit all over again.

So that's twice at the top of the charts, forty years apart, for "Fast Car" and the "inarticulate" black LESBIAN female artist, Tracy Chapman.

Asshole!

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2023 9:03 PM

Linda Ronstadt is fascinating to me when she talks about music - more than any man I’ve ever heard speak of it. I could listen to her for days but of course now it’s harder for her to speak.

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2023 10:03 PM

I think Wenner has spent so much time trying to be a bro douchebag so he seems less of a fag.

He is, as others noted, completely irrelevant at this point.

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2023 10:13 PM

Oops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2023 11:07 PM

Well done, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2023 11:31 PM

I thought he was dead...Mandela effect?

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2023 11:35 PM

Good! Maybe now the RHOF will be better at their selections moving forward since it was always slanted due to Jann's personal preferences of who he felt deserved to be inducted.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2023 11:40 PM

Ronstadt was not inducted for decades which is ridiculous. If it was because of Wenner, he should never had had that much power.

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2023 11:46 PM

Given that the magazine is ancient, let's review some of the potential, but rejected, candidates:

- Joni Mitchell, who is extremely opinionated, has created some incredible artful and poetic music.

- Tina Turner (a black woman who worked her way into the white-guys-dominated world of rock) talked about spiritualism and had nuanced views on fandom, career longevity, etc.

- Dolly Parton wrote some of the biggest hits and has donated millions to good causes.

- Tracy Chapman is not only a fantastic singer but also has a degree in anthropology.

...but I guess none of these ladies would be articulate enough for the genius that is Jann Wenner.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2023 12:00 AM

Same with Tina Turner. Tina should've been inducted as a solo artist a long time ago. She finally got in a few years before her death.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2023 12:01 AM

There are plenty of articulate women and black women in music. I watched a 30 minute interview with Kesha (of all people!) and I came away realizing that she’s smarter and more articulate than MOST musicians and other performers. KESHA!!

She was talking about her new album, which is EXTREMELY dark and serious, and one of the first questions she was asked was about a line from one of her last commercially successful songs that was something like “tonight’s gonna be the best night of my life” and she just looked so relieved to be able to address that. It was something she had written and recorded when she was being physically and mentally abused by the producer she sued and she said “can you even believe the irony in that?” and explained how pretty much the whole puke and glitter image and the excessive autotune was the creation of someone else. She’s not at all the pop star we thought she was. She’s written something like 500 songs that have been recorded by other artists and she’s actually quite intelligent. And articulate.

And you can’t tell me he couldn’t have interviewed Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, Janelle Monae, Alicia Keys, Queen Latifah, anyone mentioned above or 1,000 other black women who are every bit as outspoken and articulate as white men. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2023 12:42 AM

He's not interested, r32. He doesn't have to be. But it does make you think about why black female artists are overlooked ,"they" have no interest in what black female artists have to say.

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2023 12:46 AM

Trump is the most articulate white man

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2023 12:47 AM

Like, totes.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2023 12:50 AM

Articulate women do not ax if you can pay the light bill at the lieberry.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2023 12:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!