Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"The Killing of America" (1981 doc) Anyone ever see this? It's brutal.

Basically covers the violence that was rampant from the JFK assasination to John Lennon's murder, and everything in between including all sorts of snipers, serial killers, murderers and murderous cults like The People's Temples. All done with a very somber narration and with grainly early 80's film quality. Some people say it's exploitative but hell if it isnt effective at showing you the senselessness of violence. I almost dont feel comfortable recommending it because it is VERY graphic (there are things I REALLY wish I hadn't seen, especially around the 1:02-1:04 mark) and depressing, but if you have a strong stomach and not in a particularly somber mood, give it a go, because it is pretty fascinating.

It's funny, I always look back at the time of late 60s to early 80s with fondness because of the great music and films, and the new freedom for minorities and women, but damn if was a pretty dark period.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2023 9:13 AM

The '70s were crazy, y'all!

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2023 7:31 PM

Depressing but extremely powerful and effective documentary. Should be more widely seen.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2023 9:22 PM

"Should be more widely seen"

Yeah, that's why I posted it. A follow up doc would be great, dealing with the crack epidemic in the 80's , then the school shootings of the 90's up to 9/11. But I fear alot of people would get their panties in a bunch about it.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2023 10:56 PM

I was all messed up in the 70s. Lived in Queens, went through probably the most unsettling bizarre time of my life with all sorts of characters in and out of my life. Saw things that still boggle my mind in NYC but because I was young I often get sentimental about the time period, miss it and wish I could go back and kind of stand outside myself then and just look at it again, relive it.

This helps. Can you beat that, this helps.

I think it's worse now though, as far as violence.

Thanks for the fascinating video.

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2023 11:50 PM

Today is in no way worse when it comes to violence, homicide rates were much higher back then.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2023 11:53 PM

I guess I paid attention as a child growing up. I don’t need a refresher clip show. The era of cable TV and VCRs seemed to give rise to morbid fixations on things that previously passed like sand through the hourglass.

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2023 12:07 AM

Young Wayne Henley and that Smith guy who shot the women in the Arizona beauty parlor were both beautiful. I would be such a sucker for a good-looking insane man.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2023 3:46 AM

R7 Just read in full the story of Wayne Henley abd Dean Corrl and dear jesus! How can people become so....inhuman? I find it slightly comforting that Henley, who hadn't actually performed the rapes/murders and just lured the victims in for Corll (not that that isnt abhorrent in itself) ended up doing the right thing in the end and saved his friends and turned himself in. Maybe that little glimmer of humanity saved his soul, who knows.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2023 4:36 AM

Oh, I thought it was going to be located in NY in the 70s. Not what I expected.

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2023 4:41 AM

I understand your caveats, OP, but I thank you for posting it.

Not for the faint of heart.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2023 9:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!