Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are blocked threads working for anyone?

Mine keep coming back like an antibiotic resistant strain of the clap.

by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2023 8:14 PM

As an experiment I blocked a random thread several weeks ago and it has actually held. It's been a long time since that worked.

No idea if that is a freak occurrence or if they actually repaired some code.

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2023 9:51 AM

No but I just checked and have three Heartstopper threads blocked. Can't tell if if the block is working or if someone keeps making a new thread with the same title.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2023 10:39 AM

Maybe there’s a limit to how many threads you can have blocked or something. I block the Heartstopper threads every time I come on DL, but they always appear the next time I visit (and it’s definitely the same one I blocked, not a new thread).

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2023 10:49 AM

I have never been able to block threads, but I must have succeeded in blocking certain posters, because I see some responses shaded in gray and some labeled “Troll” in red.

I keep trying to block that sad, hurtful image of the man falling from the World Trade Center, yet it appears again and again.

I also blocked several “our dear Paul” threads, yet I’m not sure if that worked or if that poster (or posters) simply stopped opening these threads.

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2023 10:49 AM

[quote]like an antibiotic resistant strain of the clap

I'm funny that way!

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2023 10:54 AM

[quote]I keep trying to block that sad, hurtful image of the man falling from the World Trade Center, yet it appears again and again.

Same. I was stunned that was posted and I won't open that thread. I scroll by quickly, try to ignore the sadness that arises suddenly, and hope the thread will soon fade away.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2023 10:58 AM

Works for me. If they keep coming back, it just means you're blocking too many of them, there's a limit to this thing. Use it sparingly.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2023 10:59 AM

Hasn’t worked for me since well before the pandemic. I sometimes block a poster instead, then end up wanting to read what he wrote in another thread.

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2023 11:20 AM

[quote]Works for me. If they keep coming back, it just means you're blocking too many of them, there's a limit to this thing. Use it sparingly.

I have never successfully blocked a thread, r7. I never block posters except to check their history to see whether I want to bother to respond to them or not.

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2023 11:53 AM

[quote]but I must have succeeded in blocking certain posters, because I see some responses shaded in gray and some labeled “Troll” in red.

No that's not how blocking works R4. A grayed out post is from DL user F&Fs (enough of them and the post gets grayed out) and red tags are given out by Muriel. Neither have anything to do with blocking a thread or poster.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2023 11:53 AM

I don't know because I'm an adult and don't use the blocking feature.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2023 11:55 AM

I can’t unwatch threads.

My eyes! My eyes!

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2023 1:06 PM

R10 Then my blocking of threads doesn’t work. I rarely ever use it, but the few times I have tried the thread reappeared immediately. It may be my device’s operating system (iPad 8th generation) or possibly the fact that I don’t log into and out off this site when I visit. It usually stays logged in when I visit other sites, like news sites and banking, etc.

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2023 2:52 PM

R11

Not reading threads you don’t want to read.? If so how adult like.

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2023 2:59 PM

The thread blocker hasn’t worked for me in the last few years. Like R4, it has usually been disturbing photos like the one he describes, or just silly or ugly ones that make me try an block them. Because it doesn’t work, now I have to block the poster of the thread, which is unf

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2023 3:10 PM

R15 is right. I also sometime block prurient imagery. I think I saw one of a body with several appendages photoshopped in the foreground crotch area, and it looked like parts of it were taken from images of young people. I don’t want to see things like that. I appreciate the ability to filter that type of material out.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2023 3:16 PM

Oh good a thread for the Block Cunts.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2023 4:26 PM

r2 They make a new one every day. You want to not see Heartstopper just block the 3 or 4 posters in the thread and you'll be Heartburn free.

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2023 4:32 PM

So blocking individual posters works but not blocking threads?

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2023 4:45 PM

I do find it actually works better for not seeing an OP on the recent page than simply thread blocking. I'd not seen a blind item thread for months before yesterday. Granted its more tedious so depends how annoying you find the subject, or spam poster you want to block.

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2023 4:48 PM

Its hit and miss for me. Sometimes it works, other times they reappear the next time I log in. Thankfully the world trade center thread with that disturbing image of the guy falling has remained blocked for me.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2023 4:54 PM

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2023 4:54 PM

I block Heartstopper and it will stay blocked for an hour or so, but then it’s baaaack.

I will take r18’s advice.

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2023 5:01 PM

I cannot manage to block that World Trade Center thread and I really, really don’t want to see that image any more. I can stand most irritating threads, but that one is my Heartbreak Hill.

by Anonymousreply 24September 18, 2023 1:44 PM

R1 here. Last night again I experimentally blocked another thread. Today that thread has unblocked itself. Yet the thread I blocked weeks ago remains blocked.

Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2023 1:57 PM

[quote]I cannot manage to block that World Trade Center thread and I really, really don’t want to see that image any more. I can stand most irritating threads, but that one is my Heartbreak Hill.

For the time being, go into your settings and disable your preview, r24. You can enable it again in a few weeks after chat about 9/11 drops off.

by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2023 2:05 PM

R26 I will do that. Thank you so much.

by Anonymousreply 27September 18, 2023 2:06 PM

Glad I could help, r27. I'm all "asbestos eyeballs" as a rule, but disabling previews for short periods of time has been helpful to me.

by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2023 2:24 PM

There's a limit, OP.

by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2023 8:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!