Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can you tell wine apart?

The best I can do is distinguish something like merlot from a pinot noir. Or I can tell if it's bad and cheap. I cannot for the life of me figure out how other people know and have preferences for the exact vineyard, year, undertones, whatever. I went out to a fine wine tasting and it was all pretty... normal.

by Anonymousreply 58October 15, 2024 3:15 PM

White from red, yes. Other than that, no.

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2023 4:08 AM

Getting better. I can definitely tell the difference between most whites...gets a bit tough with dessert wines like Sauternes and Vin de Constance. Red's a bit harder to do.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2023 4:11 AM

OP you're absolutely correct. Blind tastings of wine have proven that even the experts can't tell much difference. The wine industry is pretty scammy.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2023 4:14 AM

Not a wine connoisseur, but I can tell the difference between most varietals and most definitely the difference between a $5 bottle and a $20 bottle, but that's about it. I've had some very expensive reds that I couldn't distinguish as any different than a more moderately priced bottle, much to my chagrin.

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2023 4:19 AM

R3 is full of shit, has no idea what they're taking about and likes to tell lies inorder to be engaging. It's not that wine is a scam — it's that developing a palate take a great deal of work and discipline, which it seems R3 neither has respect for.

You have to be able to pass blind tastings at deeper levels to become a level 3 or 4 (master) sommelier. Most of them are in the industry, while hobbyists rarely make it past level 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2023 4:24 AM

It all just tastes like “wine” to me.

If I’m going to drink alcohol I prefer a dirty martini because that tastes like “olives.”

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2023 5:15 AM

I consider myself to have a good palate for an amateur. All my holidays over the last 15 years have been based around food and wine areas of the world.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2023 5:38 AM

[quote] inorder

It’s Trevor Donovan!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2023 10:06 AM

[quote]developing a palate take a great deal of work and discipline

Much like the ability to give a decent blow job.

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2023 10:13 AM

what about zero sugar wine?

good or fad?

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2023 1:24 PM

how did you develop this skill?

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2024 9:55 PM

I know a Bordeaux

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2024 10:06 PM

i prefer white wine. but I am very bad at telling them apart

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2024 10:12 PM

I hate to be a grammar cunt, but it should be:

'Can you tell wines apart?'

The direct object is plural.

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2024 10:28 PM

I never really bothered. Certainly I've had friends for whom it's a big pleasure, and if they serve something I especially like I will ask and drink the same (and their related suggestions) until something better comes along.

I live in Spain where albariño is a great favorite and hard to go too wrong. It's a fancy price for Spain at about €15 bottle. Normally a €5 bottle of wine is well received by a host as showing some care (€2-4 bottles are the usual and I have had very good wine at that price); a €10 bottle is an extravagance for a gift. There are a few other varieties of white (preferred) and red I know are good bets for my tastes.

It's easy when there are good, relatively cheap wines that suit me. I don't feel that I'm splurging to have a wine I like and the conversation is never one of those deadly ones about wine for hours. And if a bartender or waiter suggests something I don't know, I can try it without worrying that's it's some ungodly expensive wine that I probably won't like.

In the US wine felt like the ranking system it is there. Good coffee. Good wine. Good tomatoes. Good food. I prefer to take these for granted rather than crow about them.

by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2024 11:56 PM

A love a chilled albariño. Perfect wine for hot weather and seafood.

by Anonymousreply 16August 5, 2024 9:46 PM

R16, which one do you recommend?

by Anonymousreply 17August 5, 2024 10:00 PM

here R17

I also lived in Spain and I think we always drank whatever the house one was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 5, 2024 10:07 PM

What are we drinking these days?

I don't want to spend more than $20

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2024 3:09 AM

I think I'd be able to tell a pinot noir from a heavier red wine like a cabernet or merlot.

Other than that, I'd probably have a hard time.

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2024 4:53 AM

R5 Geez. Calm down I assume you have a professional interest in closing off rational discussion of this topic.

Since you seem to like Wikipedia, this is a link to its blind tasting article, which casts considerable doubt on the evaluation of wine by experts and even greater doubt on the ability of educated but non-professional consumers to distinguish even white wine from red.

by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2024 5:04 AM

The link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2024 5:11 AM

Guess a lot of it is fancy packaging, marketing

by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2024 5:21 AM

The scam aspect of it is known now, and might possibly explain why there is an enormous glut of wine in the world right now and huge sales of previously expensive wine. I went to a very fancy wine society dinner a few years ago, and the piece de resistance of the evening was supposed to be a small production wine of a world famous vintner. It was crap - so tannic it made your mouth pucker. I'm sure it was in the $100/bottle range.

by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2024 8:45 AM

I like white wine

by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2024 4:34 PM

R25 = Joey Luft

by Anonymousreply 26October 14, 2024 4:49 PM

My thoughts:

First, $15-20 is the "sweet spot" for wines with me. Every so often, I will buy a more expensive wine for a special occasion, but for everyday drinking, $15-20 is perfect. A $17 bottle will taste a lot better than a $5 bottle. I will never spend spend $40-50 on an everyday wine.

You can tell slightly chilled white wine apart; Pinot Grigio vs. Sauvignon Blanc, for example. Chardonnay can be difficult because California Chardonnay's are usually sweeter than French Chardonnays. People tend to over chill white wine and it is hard to enjoy the taste. It is just cold alcohol.

As far as reds, a Malbec (dry) will be easier to tell apart from a Pinot Noir, which is usually fruiter. A Merlot will taste a lot like a Cabernet. This is why most blends are usually 55% Merlot/45% Cabernet.

by Anonymousreply 27October 14, 2024 5:38 PM

I also want to add that you should drink what you like, not what others tell you. I personally keep a book of wines I like and don't like.

Part of the fun is trying new wines.

by Anonymousreply 28October 14, 2024 5:39 PM

I live in the heart of wine country close to the vineyards, wineries abound within a 25 minute drive. One of my best friends is a certified sommelier and I've learned a lot from him. I go wine tasting with friends and sometimes attend wine ed classes where we learn about and taste different wines.

I know a good wine when I taste it. That would be a wine that simply appeals to me. However, I'm not good at remembering names and there are so many different wines! Sometimes I taste one I like, buy a bottle, and then it isn't as good as I remembered. I had a favorite wine for a while but the price doubled and I couldn't afford it anymore.

I often buy bottles I like after winetasting but since I don't drink much wine at home (prefer cocktails) I end up giving it away as gifts.

I also have trouble distinguishing the various aromas during winetasting. What do you smell? Blackberries, plums, oak etc. I have no idea what I'm smelling. So, I'm a dork at knowing wines but I enjoy the fun and comradery.

Actually, I prefer sparkling wines and champagne. Sadly, I went to a champagne tasting party once and got laughed at for preferring the cheapest one. Wine snobs can be cruel.

by Anonymousreply 29October 14, 2024 5:44 PM

PS my sommelier friend (from Europe) says Americans drink white wines too cold. Let it sit for a while.

by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2024 5:45 PM

R28 is not OP, I am R27. Typo!

by Anonymousreply 31October 14, 2024 5:46 PM

R30 I agree with this! A white wine should be chilled for 2-3 hours tops, not all day!

by Anonymousreply 32October 14, 2024 5:47 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 33October 14, 2024 5:50 PM

I'm like R20. I would like to be a little more educated, but I don't care enough about it, and the problem with things like wine and coffee is that, the more you know, the less you can tolerate lesser products. I have, on occasion, been given relatively good wine and been able to recognize that I was tasting something finer. And I can't stand bad, cheap wine. I would much rather go without than have something like a Barefoot Chardonnay or a Winking Owl wine.

by Anonymousreply 34October 14, 2024 5:50 PM

Thoughts on Trader Joe's wine?

by Anonymousreply 35October 14, 2024 5:52 PM

R29 - They are not only snobs, they are dumb. Roederer Domaine in the mid $20s is much more drinkable amongst the population than some ultra-dry bottle that costs several hundred dollars. A friend of mine is in the business and has what must be somewhere in the multiple tens of millions of dollars in his 'cellar', which interestingly enough is on his second floor. He is always pleased when he can find something for ten bucks that is good enough as most anything. The craziest priced one I ever had (a million years ago) is nowadays an average of $9k per bottle and most people would puke just smelling it.

by Anonymousreply 36October 14, 2024 5:55 PM

I can sense the varietal - more than that, no

by Anonymousreply 37October 14, 2024 5:58 PM

Yes, more or less sweet white wines, several reds, sure. The difference between the vintages is greater than the difference between different grapes for me though.

by Anonymousreply 38October 14, 2024 6:29 PM

I like the way Pinot Grigio and Pinot Noir are color coded so I can tell them apart.

by Anonymousreply 39October 14, 2024 6:35 PM

OP, I can distinguish between reds, but I also know one of the VERY few (275 or so) Master Sommeliers in the world. It is entirely impossible to become a somm at THAT level unless you actually can tell the difference between, say, a '45 Chateau LaTour and a '66 bottle.

It took her eight years and repeated attempts to get there, and that's despite having prodigy-level taste buds.

by Anonymousreply 40October 14, 2024 6:40 PM

Please tell me she doesn't pronounce it "somallier," r40. I need something to cling to in these troubling times.

by Anonymousreply 41October 14, 2024 8:11 PM

Only based on the kind of hangover it’s given me.

by Anonymousreply 42October 14, 2024 11:32 PM

thank you for some of your input! I am learning so much!

pls name some Pinot Grigio that's cheap but not shitty, I can drink or give as gifts

by Anonymousreply 43October 15, 2024 12:39 AM

one of my booze addict friends buy Cavit Pinot Grigio

by Anonymousreply 44October 15, 2024 12:40 AM

To me it’s easier to differentiate between whites because some have butter factor and some don’t.

Red is a bit more subtle, especially when it’s the lighter ones. They’re my favorite too! Pinot Noir, Petit Verdot, red Zinfandel…good stuff.

There’s also Pinotage, which tastes like liquid Hefty bag to me.

by Anonymousreply 45October 15, 2024 1:05 AM

I pour cheap wine into expensive bottles and dinner guests rave at the taste and quality. It’s all psychological.

by Anonymousreply 46October 15, 2024 1:10 AM

I can tell sparkling wines from non-sparkling.

by Anonymousreply 47October 15, 2024 2:42 AM

Sorry - but I like my cheap-ass Woodbridge - Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon Blanc - and as long as I get it "on sale" at the local grocery store - BRING IT ON!

by Anonymousreply 48October 15, 2024 2:47 AM

I let my chardonnay sit out for a little bit to take the chill off because of this thread.

I drink 5.99 a bottle ForestVille chardonnay and like the taste.

by Anonymousreply 49October 15, 2024 2:48 AM

My senior year in college, I took Geography of Wine. We learned about climates, soils, varieties of grapes. Mostly reds, but some whites and others. At that time, I could identify the grape, but got tripped up on blends. Our final exam was 12 samples. We had to identify the grape, origin, barrel type, and year. If you got half right, it was an A.

Back then, the kinds of wine you can get now were not common, so I doubt I could accurately name anything but the grape and the barrel type now. Unless it’s Australian, South African, Chilean, etc.; we never studied those, but a Cab is a Cab, a Syrah is a Syrah.

by Anonymousreply 50October 15, 2024 3:50 AM

I am a white wino. I know enough about it to know what I hate, and enough to understand how to discern new wines that would appeal. It’s not hard to understand the basics.

by Anonymousreply 51October 15, 2024 3:55 AM

I like the ALDI wine with the owl on it

by Anonymousreply 52October 15, 2024 4:17 AM

R52 = Joey Luft

by Anonymousreply 53October 15, 2024 4:21 AM

I know or knew a master sommelier, as well. And, yes, it's a pretty short list. He was not snobby at all. I felt comfortable telling him what my preferences were. Their job is to find something you enjoy, not to make you feel ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 54October 15, 2024 4:36 AM

When I was just a little girl, I asked my mother “What should I drink? Should I drink Pinot? Should I drink Merlot?” Here’s what she said to me. “Drink Syrah, Syrah!”

by Anonymousreply 55October 15, 2024 12:02 PM

People who can tell them apart are drunks.

by Anonymousreply 56October 15, 2024 12:06 PM

R56 No? Someone could drink two glasses of wine a night. That does not make them a drunk

by Anonymousreply 57October 15, 2024 3:10 PM

A lot of difference in wine come from if the grapes were picked by somebody wandering through the vineyard and picking the grapes when they are at the right ripeness or if they were all just picked at once.

by Anonymousreply 58October 15, 2024 3:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!