Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Damned "Customer Service" Reps

Are you as sick as I am of continually being put through to customer service reps at almost every company who cannot speak English? Chinese, Filipino, Middle Eastern, you name it. It's so annoying to have to ask them to repeat everything they say sometimes 3 or 4 times. A single transaction takes forever to complete.

If US companies are going to insist on hiring those people,at least put them in a non-customer facing position!

Grrr....

(I just finished one which I thought was going to drive me insane.)

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2023 2:23 PM

I've been very impressed with Warby Parker. When I've called their customer service, I'm immediately transferred to a human speaking American English.

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2023 10:06 PM

I find myself opting for the chat feature when possible. Seems to work out better when American English is not their primary language.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2023 10:12 PM

The reps speak some English and their native language. They don't speak English fluently and intelligibly.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2023 12:10 AM

Annoying as hell

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2023 12:33 AM

The worst is when the preliminary voice commands make you type in account info & then you finally get a rep and they ask the same info, “to verify”.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2023 1:02 AM

The overseas help would not have happened when it cost $15 to talk to Europe for 5 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2023 1:02 AM

Blame corporate. They won't pay a living wage in US so they pay shit for 'over seas' help. I just tried to subscribe to my local daily newspaper. She couldn't understand what I was saying (local address) and I couldn't understand her. I gave up, went online, and accomplished it there. How sad.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2023 1:55 AM

OP, I understand your frustration but the problem is not the "damned" service reps. They're just trying to earn a living. It's the company that hires them that deserves the "damned."

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2023 1:57 AM

And then they tell you their name is Mike or Ricky.

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2023 2:27 AM

Who in the hell still calls service reps anymore?

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2023 2:28 AM

I'm OK w/it. I've gotten decent help from people the Philippines.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2023 2:32 AM

I got an American rep, and she kept calling me Mickey Bacardi

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2023 2:36 AM

I try to limit my dealings with companies that outsource customer service roles. I have two credit cards that I stopped using because of this. I don't close the accounts as it will hurt my credit score.

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2023 2:44 AM

Was it the damn cable company again?

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2023 3:02 AM

I love it when they try to fool you by using an American name. They have a thick accent, obviously from another country. But will say "Thank you for calling xyz, this Peggy how can I help you?".

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2023 3:05 AM

To be more accurate, the problem is not that they can't speak English, it's that their accents are so heavy that sometimes it's very difficult to understand them.

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2023 3:54 AM

It sucks when you are paying something to someone DIRECTLY and they don't follow through. As much as it sucks when you are being harassed by someone who paid something to someone else that has nothing to do with tou and you have to listen to that cuntt whine and whine.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2023 3:59 AM

[quote] OP, I understand your frustration but the problem is not the "damned" service reps. They're just trying to earn a living. It's the company that hires them that deserves the "damned."

I would not say any party involved deserves to be "damned." Companies cannot afford to pay the skyrocketing minimum wage to workers in English-language countries. At the same time, call centers in Asia and India provide office jobs to a populace in desperate need. Labor unions are killing the American economy. I agree no CEO deserves $40 million a year but those unions want top dollar AND 4-day work weeks.

...I've already had too much to drink tonight.

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2023 4:02 AM

[quote]Companies cannot afford to pay the skyrocketing minimum wage to workers in English-language countries.

Minimum wage in the US is $7.25 an hour. That is not "skyrocketing". Yes, some states have higher minimum wages, but none are over $17 an hour and that's for wealthy northern states; there are 15 states that either have no minimum or have it set at $7.25 an hour.

Tell us R18, how would you live on $7.25 an hour?

[quote]Labor unions are killing the American economy.

Labor unions are the only thing standing between you and serfdom. Like the 40-hour work week? Thank a union. Like overtime pay? Thank a union. Like paid sick days? Thank a union. Like paid vacation? Thank a union. Like paid holidays? Thank a union. Like a safe working environment? Thank a union.

You sound bitter. Are you jealous of unionized employees making a living wage?

But you're right, R18. You've had way, way too much to drink.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2023 4:30 AM

Yeah, that was a drunk troll post. A day's salary for the typical CEO of one of these companies could pay a living wage for 1500 center workers for a YEAR. Most of these calls go to India and perhaps other countries, where English is one of the official languages, but I agree that unless they have practiced a long time to simulate an American accent, the sing song accent will confuse the American caller on the other side of the phone.

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2023 4:49 AM

[quote] Labor unions are the only thing standing between you and serfdom. Like the 40-hour work week? Thank a union. Like overtime pay? Thank a union. Like paid sick days? Thank a union. Like paid vacation? Thank a union. Like paid holidays? Thank a union. Like a safe working environment? Thank a union.

I acknowledge with great appreciation that labor unions are responsible for the modern-day middle-class. However, they have been counter-productive to the accountability and quality of the American labor force, and a drain on the economy for more than 30 years. We have federal and state laws that protect all workers from the workforce abuses that made labor unions necessary. Collective bargaining agreements protect the highly proficient and the grossly incompetent alike. Look at the ruin police unions and teacher's unions have wrought on the quality of these taxpayer-funded civil services. The pension funds are bankrupting states. Unskilled laborers working on a production line cannot make $50 an hour plus overtime. By the way, none of the workers making minimum wage are unionized.

[quote] You sound bitter. Are you jealous of unionized employees making a living wage?

Yes. I am a bitter at-will employee who can sometimes work 60 hours a week and have not had a pay increase in 4 years. I am very good at what I do, even when I am drunk. I am completely expendable and replaceable. I know this and it motivates me to be a conscientious and responsible worker. I do not begrudge what unions can do for their membership, within reason.

[quote] But you're right, [R18]. You've had way, way too much to drink.

I am completely sober now.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2023 2:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!