Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The End of Roe Is Having a Chilling Effect on Pregnancy

Next "Policy" suggestion from the GQP: Legalize ALL forms of rape to meet those goals of DOMESTIC SUPPLY OF INFANTS

"New polling shows that a third of young women say they or someone they know has decided not to get pregnant because of concerns about maternal health care after Dobbs."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2023 5:37 AM

Grim

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2023 4:05 PM

Killing the baby also has a chilling effect on pregnancy. They might want to revise that headline.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2023 5:22 PM

Oh, fuck off R2. Seriously, fuck right off.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2023 5:24 PM

So, women don't want to be thought of only as wombs. Who knew?!?

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2023 5:30 PM

With everything going on in the Republican party, I can't imagine why anyone would willfully become pregnant. Pregnancy is already one of the most dangerous times for a woman, and with the GOP in charge, it's downright deadly.

We had a working compromise on abortion, but it was too much for the radical right and religious freaks.

Now, we're faced with a shrinking population and until Dobbs is reversed and female bodily autonomy returns, it's only going to get worse. The Republicans have an existential crisis: either they reverse on abortion or they reverse on immigration because without one of the other, the population is going to continue to shrink and that spells the end of the one requirement for capitalism to work: constant growth.

We're still in the fuck around phase although the find out part is clearly on the horizon.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2023 5:36 PM

R5 from your mouth to G*d's ears. They are such idiots. They don't realize your very astute summary:

[quote]the ...one requirement for capitalism to work: constant growth.

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2023 6:03 PM

This is not what I anticipated.

I had intended for the birthing vessels to become fruitful.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2023 6:09 PM

Ironic, isn't it? That the corollary "chilling" plummeting birth rates, will now probably be happening ( by choice) in the very Red States that are desirous of MORE BABIES.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2023 6:14 PM

[quote]New polling shows that a third of young women say they or someone they know has decided not to get pregnant because of concerns about maternal health care after Dobbs.

Anti-natalism is winning!

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2023 6:25 PM

I don't think theres anything wrong with actually thinking through a decision to change your life forever. Fuck, I hope everyone would think before procreating.

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2023 6:27 PM

From a feminist perspective, it may not be such a bad outcome, if, in the wake of Dobbs, more women are opting to become more career oriented & financially independent in lieu of becoming baby factories.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2023 6:40 PM

If I were a woman I'd get sterilized. A risky pregnancy could be a death sentence.

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2023 6:41 PM

I remember years ago some nasty old Republican who I can't remember was asked what women should do if Roe was overturned and he answered "keep their legs closed."

Careful what you wish for!

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2023 7:04 PM

R13 I wish they'd keep their legs closed. But a good many of them would be homeless if they did, so they don't.

by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2023 7:35 PM

Please refer to the woman on the reich-wing Supreme Court only as "Mrs. Barrett. " As a mere birthing vessel, and therefore inferior to a man, her only identity should be as an extension of her husband, who is her lord and master.

by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2023 9:06 PM

R15 If you extend that train of thought, why is Mrs. Barrett even on the court, and not her husband? Surely she can't be capable of any rational thought...

by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2023 9:14 PM

R16, exactly. Mrs Barrett was able to attain the heights she's reached thanks to the courageous women who fought the battles for equality. Having risen to the top on their backs, she now seeks to push her sisters down to the bottom again.

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2023 9:25 PM

I hate this country right now.

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2023 10:08 PM

"Now, we're faced with a shrinking population and until Dobbs is reversed and female bodily autonomy returns, it's only going to get worse."

Birth rates aren't just falling because of Dobbs, birth rates are falling because nobody likes the look of the future, and because young people can't afford homes. Would you get married and have kids, if all you had to offer your spouse and child was a life in your childhood bedroom, with the grandparents/in-laws constantly in their faces?

The lack of low-income housing isn't just forcing the poor out onto the streets, because there's literally no place they can afford to live, it's also forcing young adults to stay in their parents' homes until their prime reproductive years are over. So, more and more people are concluding that they'll have a better life if they don't have kids.

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2023 11:16 PM

Red states will outlaw contraception. Then when women just stop having sex, red states will make rape legal.

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2023 11:45 PM

I am sick of hearing about abortion this or abortion that, take your damn birth contols pills you whores.

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2023 12:42 AM

R21 knows very well that many of these women get abortions for medical reasons, not because they're "whores"

Go back to the Trump rally, douche

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2023 12:45 AM

You make some good points, R19, but it was not my contention that Dobbs alone was responsible for declining birth rates. That onus is on the scenario you describe despite the fact that elsewhere on the planet, it is common for multiple generations to live in the same domicile. Birthrates were fairly constant through the last half of the 20th century, but fell dramatically with the onset of the 2008 housing crash. They have never recovered, and I think one of the rationales that the radical right religious loons put forward was that outlawing abortion was going to somehow result in a baby boom of sorts; that has not borne fruit (pardon the pun). The overall birth rate has not changed much notwithstanding the pandemic (which I predicted would result in much higher births, but I was wrong as everyone freaked out and used birth control).

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2023 4:58 AM

[quote]Killing the baby also has a chilling effect on pregnancy.

No — the chilling effect occurs when the majority of women who DO want to have kids will now avoid it because of the danger of sepsis, hemorrhaging, or expelling a rotting corpse because the obstetrician refuses to abort any pregnancy — no matter how high-risk it may be — because they are terrified of being charged with a felony and imprisoned under laws with extremely vague language about the validity of medical exceptions (if there are any). That is what’s known as the “chilling effect,” dumbfuck @ R2.

by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2023 5:46 AM

Shithole Ohio is trying to outlaw birth control in November.

That slithering piece of shit LaRose is trying to fuck around with the ballot language to cover birth control as well as medical and surgical abortions. He’s been told by the court AGAIN to knock it the fuck off, but of course he figures he’s above the law.

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2023 5:58 AM

No one is going to outlaw birth control.

by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2023 7:29 PM

[quote]I am sick of hearing about abortion this or abortion that, take your damn birth contols pills you whores.

R21 Please go back in time and give your mother that advice.

by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2023 7:39 PM

I said he was TRYING, r26.

He figures if he can sneak it on to the ballot, the thugs will be able to fool enough people into voting for it.

And you haven’t been paying attention if you think the talibangelical rethugs won’t TRY IT at every opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2023 4:54 PM

I can confirm. I'm in Shithole Ohio.

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2023 5:07 PM

[quote]No one is going to outlaw abortion.

by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2023 6:39 PM

Women are the gender majority in the USA. If they wanted to vote out the GOP over this issue, they could.

White women and white men are the reason the GOP has the hold on government that it does.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2023 6:59 PM

I read another article where OBGYNs were moving from Red States because of the legal risks.

That means even if you are married and want to start a family, you'll have trouble finding a doctor. Particularly true in the rural areas. Again, be careful what you wish for.

by Anonymousreply 32September 16, 2023 6:59 PM

I find it immensely rich that, after all the Sturm and Drang over the half-century in which Roe prevailed, so many republican pols seem to be coalescing around a national ban at 15 weeks ... a point at which all but 6% of abortions are performed! Yes, it was all about their concern for the unborn.

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2023 7:29 PM

To prevent pregnancies, women will be clamping their holes shut- and I'll be pre-lubing mine.

by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2023 8:20 PM

They can always take their ladies to the feed store for their prenatal care, R32.

After all, what's good enough for their cattle is good enough for their domestic infant incubators.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2023 12:37 AM

Fuck anti-choicers

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2023 12:38 AM

You suck, r21. You really are heinous.

I'm not in the US, can someone please update me as to what's going on in the media regarding this issue? What stance have the Murdoch papers and holdings taken?

People bag the UK press all the time, but most of those publications and outlets would never let this happen in Great Britain.

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2023 5:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!