Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bill Maher Is a Scab!

Add that to his many vices that makes him a DL object of derision.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 19, 2023 12:25 AM

I'm disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2023 11:35 AM

Why, R1? Did you expect him to be anything but a cranky reactionary underneath the laid-back persona?

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2023 11:44 AM

Disappointed because it seems like a mistake and one suspects he's old and desperate. I hung on for a long time. But it's over.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2023 11:48 AM

He said his team had been "hopeful" the WGA strike would be resolved after Labor Day, "but that day has come and gone, and there still seems to be nothing happening."

"I love my writers, I am one of them, but I’m not prepared to lose an entire year and see so many below-the-line people suffer so much," Maher said in the post, referring to behind-the-scenes crew members such as camera operators, hair stylists and makeup artists.

So says Bill Maher, but he speaks out of both sides of his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2023 1:42 PM

Bill Maher doesn't give a rat's ass about the cameramen and make up people.

Bill Maher cares about one thing and one thing only: Bill Maher.

More than anything else, Bill Maher enjoys hearing his own voice. His massive ego is the only reason he's doing this stunt.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2023 1:46 PM

I am shocked (shocked!) that Bill Maher betrays everything for which he once stood.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2023 1:47 PM

For the right price, Bill Maher will be whatever you want and say whatever shit you want.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2023 2:11 PM

He's a scab, a douchebag, and a sexist/misogynist racist old white dude who is regressing farther and farther politically.

Might as well just be a republican trumper at this point and give up pretending to be smarter or better than MAGA.

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2023 2:18 PM

not surprised, he's always been out for number one

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2023 2:21 PM

He strikes me as one of those people who thinks (or performs) that you're doing it right as long as you're annoying both sides, evidence and logic be damned. Lazy.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2023 3:48 PM

The Onion gets it right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2023 12:29 AM

^LOLOLOLOL!!!

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2023 2:11 AM

Here is what I don't understnad. The rest of the people working on the set, Camera, sound, and grips. The Director, associate director, etc...all of them are in unions right? Why are they not supporting the other unions on strike?

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2023 2:53 AM

I have enjoyed watching Bill weekly for many years, albeit on YouTube, but I have managed without him and I don't like his current right-wing twist. Bringing his show back is a scab move. I hope it fails.

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2023 4:37 AM

I like your style R14.

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2023 5:04 AM

Devil's advocate here -- what about all the below the line people, camera men, office production assistants, secretaries that will continue to work if the show comes back.

The strike will be resolved eventually; the writers will go back and return to earning 10x as much as a p.a. who has to eat shit to pay the rent.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2023 5:11 AM

Aren't camera operators unionized? NABET?

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2023 5:26 AM

[quote]what about all the below the line people, camera men, office production assistants, secretaries that will continue to work if the show comes back.

R16. Solidarity is key in a strike. It's the collateral fallout from a strike. If all those other line people stay out of work, maybe it will put the pressure on the studios to give the writers what they deserve. By the line people going back to work, the studios will never give in. The public will just end up with a shitty product to watch and awful reality shows. Maher, Barrymore and the others are scabs.

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2023 6:25 AM

A scab and a cunt

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2023 7:27 AM

The public will just end up with a shitty product to watch and awful reality shows.

So no real change from the current programming

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2023 12:32 PM

He's not a 'scab'- he's a strikebreaker!

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2023 12:58 PM

they probably are but my question is what about all the people this strike has put out of work; will they have go fund mes to make up for their lost revenue when the writers return to work, presumably with some of what they're bargaining for.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2023 6:10 PM

R18

I don't disagree with you but it ends up apples and oranges as other workers don't have unions and what are the writers going to do when they're back working, having, presumably, gotten some of what they're asking for moneywise -- are they going to share the wealth?

Are they going to not show up for work so that the poorly paid p.a.'s and other folks can also earn a decent living.

A friend lives near the picket line by Warner Bros. It's honking all day long and they can't get any work done. The decision makers can't hear the honking. My friend tried talking to the picketers and was met with ....'tough.'

An odd stance from folks looking to get a fair deal.

R22 good point.

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2023 10:24 PM

plus, the producers can walk away, spend like crazy till they die and won't run out of money; as always, it's the little guy who's going to get fucked.

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2023 10:26 PM

The non-union support workers might be eligible for unemployment benefits. I believe CA law now grants same to the strikers.

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2023 10:42 PM

[quote]are they going to share the wealth?

R23. It's not a question of whether or not the writers are going to shares the wealth with production assistants. Of course not--that's not how salaries are distributed in any organization anywhere. The writers are striking for future wages because the business model for writers and actors has drastically changed. And yes, it has likely changed for production assistants too.

However, the question is...are the multi-millionaire CEOs of these multi-billion dollar companies going to pay other employees such as production assistants a decent living wage for the work they do? It's not up to writers to pay other staff members of a film or TV production. It's up to the studios to value production assistants and pay them a living wage. I realize this is a difficult situation. However, the head nurse of a hospital does not pay the receptionist more. Instead the head nurse and hospital administration has to recognize the value of the receptionist and convince the human resources administration that receptionists, assistants, dieticians, etc., deserve more pay. You don't share your paycheck. You support those asking for a higher salary if it's warranted and if duties, responsibilities and working conditions have changed.

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2023 11:03 PM

R26, R18, all valid points but at the end of the day, the writers aren't going to walk out over p.a.'s receptionists, and other folks who can't make the rent before or after this strike is over.

It's not fair for anyone.

We're in a world where Oprah and the Rock are asking people to pay for Maui victims; INSANE.

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2023 11:09 PM

I fully agree it's not up to the writers to not pay the p.a.'s and receptionists; but it's up to them to support the strike?

something's out of balance there.

I know a writer who tried to get into TV writing for years and saw folks get in through nepotism and favors and all things that have nothing to do with talent; but that writer is supposed to honor the strike?

And what about those fi-core soap writers. They're writing all the way to the bank.

oh, they can't win a WGA award or run for office; boo hoo.

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2023 11:20 PM

What a dick.

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2023 11:28 PM

Bill is a Libertarian who espouses their usual “sucks to be you” philosophy.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2023 11:38 PM

If you're mad about the strike don't be mad at the strikers. They're not the ones at fault or the ones causing the strike.

Be mad at management and executives and the people whose obsessive greed and selfish inhumanity precipitated the strike. For they have the power to end the strike at any moment, and they won't lose a damn thing by agreeing to the terms the working people who make all the money for them are asking.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2023 11:49 PM

Sure, I'm mad about the strike but I'm more mad that people who make even less than the writers are the biggest losers in this.

The math isn't wrong on that.

I know extras who barely if even make the 27K a year for medical and they aren't working right now.

Some showrunner writer head writer has millions in the bank and yeah, he's worried about his third home being foreclosed on.

People can say it's the producers fault forever; but it's the little people who are going to lose out the most.

by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2023 12:22 AM

The showrunners and head writers are not the problem here. They're literally striking FOR the little guys.

Stop falling for what the executives want to trick you into doing: blaming the striking people instead of management.

by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2023 1:05 AM

[quote] People can say it's the producers fault forever; but it's the little people who are going to lose out the most.

Meaning what? Fuck it? Give up? Do whatever the streaming services say, all on behalf of the "little people"?

by Anonymousreply 34September 18, 2023 1:08 AM

Actually, is anything happening with this strike? Any negotiations at all? Any movement? Or is everybody dicking around just hoping the other side gives up?

by Anonymousreply 35September 18, 2023 1:45 AM

I’m with R3 and the like… I’ve stuck with Bill through a lot of his crazy shit (most of it quite recently). I’ll still agree with some of his arguments about how Moderates are getting screwed from each of the extremes, but I did wish he tried to correct the record on “woke”.

But he’s showing his true colors here, and as a union member myself I have to say “Fuck you you fucking scab!”

Now, about how to go about showing the Industry CEOs whose side you’re on? Try canceling your cable or streaming provider for a bit!

by Anonymousreply 36September 18, 2023 3:31 AM

[quote]We're in a world where Oprah and the Rock are asking people to pay for Maui victims; INSANE.

R27. That is insane and maddening. On the other hand, are Oprah and the Rock expected to fund the entire situation in Maui? Regular Americans can also donate if they're able along with emergency funding from the government.

My problem with Oprah and the Rock, if I understand the situation correctly, is that they began a fund with a "commitment" for $10 million expecting the public to help reach the $10 million. When in reality, Oprah and the Rock could have easily donated $10 million to the Maui fund on their own, and then invited the public to donate as well if they were so inclined. But I don't know if the way I explained their "commitment" is correct.

by Anonymousreply 37September 18, 2023 5:30 AM

R13 Those unions each have their own collectively bargained contracts which may contain no-strike clauses. They are probably being told by their respective unions’ leadership to report to work and honor the contract.

This is why the daytime TV/game show/reality membership of SAG are still working—they have a separate contract from the main film & prime time TV cohort, which doesn’t expire for another year, I think.

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2023 5:58 AM

Postponed:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2023 4:16 PM

R34, I think the whole town should shut down.

Everyone from pa.'s to coffee shop owners and dry cleaners face financial ruin.

The producers will eventually get around to offering some crumbs. The writers and actors will take what they can get.

There is no easy answer, I know.

by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2023 4:34 PM

WHET the Teamsters? Those guys really knew how to strike!

by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2023 9:10 PM

Bill Maher's Bravado Falls Short As He Reconsiders...

Bill Maher Delays Returning To 'Real Time' Until Writers Strike Is Over

Maher's announcement comes a day after Drew Barrymore, Jennifer Hudson and "The Talk" announced plans to postpone returning to the air.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2023 11:00 PM

Boy, I bet all 5 of Maher's fans will be bitterly disappointed their favorite old crank won't be returning anytime soon.

Where will they get their ration of milky loads if Andrew Sullivan isn't a guest of Maher's weekly shitfest?

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2023 11:09 PM

Glad to hear he reversed.

by Anonymousreply 44September 19, 2023 12:01 AM

I finally gave up on Real Time at the beginning of last season. He has become an insufferable jerk since he returned from the pandemic lockdown. Living in his own bubble for years now he has turned into the very preposterous individual he used to mock and criticize. That is what living outside of any kind of committed relationship will do to a person. You have nobody to correct you when you veer off track and become a first class hypocrite and asshole.

by Anonymousreply 45September 19, 2023 12:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!