Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The new updated Covid shots (Pfizer, Moderna)

What's the deal, are they supposed to be more effective.?

I've already had two shots and one booster, don't know whether I should bother getting a fourth dose.

by Anonymousreply 49October 9, 2023 1:39 AM

It's like the flu shots; they're targeted to the variants that are currently circulating, so there'll be a new shot every year. You probably still have some immunity from past shots or if you've had Covid, but this will provide further protection against serious illness.

by Anonymousreply 1September 12, 2023 2:08 AM

I honestly don't understand how people don't know this.

Get the new booster. It's for the newest strain that is going around. Like r1 mentioned, the flu shot is different every year because they target the strain they believe is going to cause the most trouble. I get a flu shot every year in October. I don't see an issue with getting the new Covid shot.

by Anonymousreply 2September 12, 2023 2:12 AM

[quote] I've already had two shots and one booster, don't know whether I should bother getting a fourth dose.

It was cute how they redefined "vaccine" to disguise the failure after the prior shots gave no immunity.

All those people attacked, fired, or insulted for doubting the efficacy of the prior versions. Or silenced if they suggested it came from a Chinese laboratory.

Jan 5, 2022 — Goldberg is both vaccinated and boosted, she said, making her COVID-19 infection a breakthrough case. "It was a shock, because I'm triple vaxxed

6 days ago — Whoopi Goldberg was MIA for the Season 27 premiere of "The View" on Tuesday after testing positive for COVID-19.

So trust the science.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 12, 2023 2:24 AM

3 family members have had covid in 3 months.

While the first 2 cases were like a cold/flu hybrid with fatigue, thirst & sinus action, the 3rd has it now with a persistent & painful cough. She got Paxlovid.

The people I know who took that did seem to have a shorter spell,

by Anonymousreply 4September 12, 2023 2:38 AM

It’s been over a year since I got my last jab. I’m getting this one as soon as I can.

by Anonymousreply 5September 12, 2023 2:41 AM

Yes OP, we're getting our flu and covid shots. Better to be safe as we're older DLrs. Neither of us has had covid yet..miraculously.

by Anonymousreply 6September 12, 2023 3:10 AM

You already had two shots and one booster, just the three dear?

by Anonymousreply 7September 12, 2023 3:13 AM

r3, you're an idiot. The flu "vaccine" is exactly the same. So is the Shingles "vaccine." Sometimes vaccines can prevent you from catching a virus...like the Tetanus vaccine. But even that only lasts for 10 years and you have to get it again. Small pox is one that prevents. Other vaccines are meant to lower your risk of catching something but you CAN still catch it...like the flu and Shingles and Covid. But having the vax for those makes the really horrible virus not so horrible.

I had FOUR covid boosters and still caught Covid last year only two months after my last booster. It simply felt like I had a head cold and then I was fine. Others, who opted not to get the shots died because they had zero protection. Sure, some folks who had the vax still got it pretty bad but for most people they were like me. A few days of a head cold, then better.

by Anonymousreply 8September 12, 2023 7:53 AM

I got covid last December about a month and a half after having gotten the booster and (with the help of paxlovid) my symptoms were milder than getting the flu or a cold.

I know others who have e had similar experiences.

In contrast one of my nephews got covid a few months earlier but hadn't gotten a shot since about a year prior to getting sick.

Even with paxlovid he was sicker than I was, with a severe sore throat (it was painful to eat for a day or so) and a feeling of disorientation (it was hard to concentrate when watching TV or playing video games).

by Anonymousreply 9September 12, 2023 10:04 AM

One other thing.

About month ago I went to my pharmacy and got another booster, thinking that it would at least provide some protection in the coming months leading up to the holidays.

About two days later there was the initial news report that an upcoming booster would soon be available to the public in about a month's time.

Not having known that was going to happen, I went back to the pharmacy to complain and said they should have informed me of this new & improved shot because I would have waited for it rather than having gotten the old (and now outdated) one I received.

They stood their ground and said the new booster hadn't been approved yet by the CDC and my shot will provide protection.

I corrected them by saying that the head of the CDC was just on the news stating the new shot wil likely be available to the public in a month or so; if that information had been given to me by the pharmacy, I would have been provided with the option of waiting until that time.

They still kept defending their position, even as I explained how I now have to wait six months before getting this new booster, leaving me more vulnerable to get sicker than I would have gotten otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 10September 12, 2023 10:34 AM

Did you ask to speak with the manager, R10?

by Anonymousreply 11September 12, 2023 10:39 AM

" I honestly don't understand how people don't know this. "

Neither do I. We have been getting vaccines all of our life, why is the covid vaccine so impossible to understand?

by Anonymousreply 12September 12, 2023 11:05 AM

Well I didn't know. So build a bridge and get over it Mary.

by Anonymousreply 13September 12, 2023 11:09 AM

The last booster I got was way back in 2021 and I've still never caught the Covid. So do I really need to get more shots when it's almost 2024?

by Anonymousreply 14September 12, 2023 11:11 AM

It sounds like the current guidance is to get the new booster if you’re 65+ or immunocompromised, otherwise don’t bother. Is that right, or is everyone encouraged to take it if it’s been x months since their last shot?

by Anonymousreply 15September 12, 2023 11:16 AM

They are meeting on the guidance today. It isn’t out yet, but will be soon

And don’t forget Novovax. It’s not just Pfizer and Moderna.

by Anonymousreply 16September 12, 2023 11:37 AM

The UK are only dishing it out to the 65 and overs as well as the high risk groups only this year, which is a shame as I'd personally would have preferred a booster jab. Though that ship has sailed somewhat as I sit here on day 6 of COVID, just this morning had my sense of smell vanish and having more hot flushes than a menopausal girls school headmistress. And as this is the mild version you get if ever vaccinated it's been a fun few days of migraines, leaking and having a 2 second brain time delay, heartily do not recommend.

by Anonymousreply 17September 12, 2023 12:09 PM

I went onto Walgreens' website to schedule my flu and Covid shot. They are stating that appts for the new Covid will not be available to schedule until mid-month, and to check back. I was hoping I could at least get on the schedule, even though I know it's not yet in pharmacies.

I did not see any options for an RSV vax.

by Anonymousreply 18September 12, 2023 3:08 PM

do it NOW

by Anonymousreply 19September 12, 2023 3:41 PM

[quote] The UK are only dishing it out to the 65 and overs as well as the high risk groups only this year

Which are the people who need it.

by Anonymousreply 20September 12, 2023 4:19 PM

[quote]The last booster I got was way back in 2021 and I've still never caught the Covid. So do I really need to get more shots when it's almost 2024?

No, OP, you don't. Never ever again. That includes flu shots and especially Shingrex shots. You're absolutely not going to get shingles and even if you do, they're *nothing*. Make sure you don't get one of those shots. Avoid *all* shots in the future.

by Anonymousreply 21September 12, 2023 4:38 PM

I’ve gotten them all so far and I want the new one, too. I haven’t had Covid yet even though I travel frequently, both domestically & internationally.

by Anonymousreply 22September 12, 2023 4:58 PM

R17, I love that you know about Menopausal school headmistress and her hot flushes. Keep taking plenty of fluids, Panadol and loads of rest. Take care of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 23September 12, 2023 8:24 PM

[quote]It sounds like the current guidance is to get the new booster if you’re 65+ or immunocompromised, otherwise don’t bother.

Well, no - I think what they're telling people is that if you're 65+ or immunocompromised, you should get the new one right away, and everyone else can wait a while but should still get it eventually over the next three or four months.

by Anonymousreply 24September 12, 2023 9:35 PM

Hope you feel better soon, r17

I've had five shots in total and the first booster was Phizer - no side effects.

The Moderna boosters were nasty, but I'd rather put up with that than get Covid. Now that the virus appears to have changed so much, I'd like to get the updated booster ASAP, however there's a mandatory 6 month waiting period between boosters so I have to wait a few months.

R14, in your position I'd get the new booster after checking with the relevant health authority.

by Anonymousreply 25September 12, 2023 11:08 PM

Yes, Covid is on the rise, but people are no longer cautious nor are they masking. I've had 5 shots and I think if I take precautions I will hopefully be ok. What nobody is talking about is the effects of all these boosters. I have never felt the same since my first vaccination.

by Anonymousreply 26September 13, 2023 1:38 PM

OP, you skipped out on the previous boosters?

You should definitely get this.

by Anonymousreply 27September 13, 2023 1:40 PM

r18- my CVS in West Hollywood had the option for RSV, but you had to be 60 or over to get it- the website automatically greyed out if you were younger.

I got Covid last October at a Pet Shop Boys/New Order concert at the Hollywood Bowl (thanks asshole old man who was coughing out his lungs next to me), but it was super mild- lasted 2 days with a little sore throat and a bit of stuffiness. I absolutely am glad that I was vaccinated. It did lose me a week's worth of work though (I work in film). Thank the gods that we got sick pay for it, but it wasn't as much as what I would have made.

by Anonymousreply 28September 13, 2023 1:52 PM

Thanks, R28. I wonder why they are doing age restriction only for that one.

I got a pneumonia vax last October. I have to ask my dr. how often you need to get those, as that was the first one I ever had.

by Anonymousreply 29September 13, 2023 6:37 PM

OP: You ahould probably get the new Covid shot since it is formulated to a different variant than the last booster. And since the boosters begin to lose effectiveness after 3-4 months, I heard a virologist on the radio say folks over 65 and those with compromised immune systems should consider getting the latest Covid shot every 3-4 months until the new one comes out next fall.

by Anonymousreply 30September 13, 2023 7:11 PM

U.S. COVID infections are hovering near levels of the pandemic’s first peak in 2020, and approaching the Delta peak of late 2021, according to wastewater surveillance and modeling by forecasters.

Viral wastewater levels are not far behind all of the pandemic’s 2020 peaks except for one—the initial peak of March 2020, which they’ve already surpassed. And they lag just slightly levels seen during the deadly Delta peak of late 2021.

A forecast issued this week by Jay Weiland, a leading COVID modeler, came to the same conclusions. On Thursday, Weiland estimated that 650,000 Americans are becoming infected daily, with 1 in 51 Americans currently infected with COVID.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2023 12:36 PM

Any one else hoping that CUNT R10 kicks the bucket soon?

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2023 1:29 PM

I'm getting the new booster next Saturday and I can't wait!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2023 1:34 PM

[quote]I got a pneumonia vax last October. I have to ask my dr. how often you need to get those, as that was the first one I ever had.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2023 1:41 PM

I've had asthma and various respiratory issues and was given the pneumonia vax twice in a 10 year period. It's definitely not supposed to be yearly.

Make sure you note in your records when you had that, R34. A doctor can then advise you when or if you need another one. Sort of like tetanus shots (which we should always keep a record of, too - should be about every 10 years).

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2023 2:13 PM

Now that I am Medicare eligible, I have made it a habit to get my flu vaccine the first week of October. It seems to be late in the season to get long range coverage plus the new vaccines are available. So, this year the Flu vaccine, the COVID vaccine and RSV. Doing the research, I came to the conclusion all in the same arm. Question, do I stagger?

Oh, and last year I got the current pneumovax vaccine. Earlier this year at the Walgreens register, Walgreens told me to get the new pneumovax vaccine. I got it.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2023 2:30 PM

[quote]Doing the research, I came to the conclusion all in the same arm. Question, do I stagger?

You should also be sure to get the vaccines in the same arm you got your previous Covid shots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2023 2:33 PM

R37, thanks for the link.

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2023 2:35 PM

Everybody please get your shots at CVS. I went heavy on CVS shares when the price dipped.

It's the friendly place to have surplus holes stuck in your body.

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2023 2:38 PM

Thanks for the info on the pneumonia shots. I am not sure which pneumonia vax I got, so I sent a message to my Dr. through the portal. He's really good at getting back to his patients.

by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2023 3:21 PM

I had to re-book my Saturday appointment with a different pharmacy. I got a text from the first one cancelling saying they didn't get their shipment but was able to get an appointment at Walgreens also on Saturday. I don't expect there's going to be a stampede for this. I don't care. I'll get mine.

by Anonymousreply 41September 19, 2023 2:54 AM

The thing is, the more active the virus is the more it morphs into new variants. If we had quarantined seriously we may have been able to slow it down. But we didn't. So it's active, and because it is active it changes. So we need a new vaccine every year. And the vaccines for the flu and the COVID virus are only good for a few months, maybe 6-8 months before they wear off.

by Anonymousreply 42September 19, 2023 3:04 AM

I got my shot along with the flu shot. The pharmacist said that they were fully booked all week.

by Anonymousreply 43September 19, 2023 3:22 AM

Got my Covid and flu shots this past Fri at Walgreens. No one else was there for any vax appts.

Feeling a little tired and my arm is sore, but otherwise doing okay.

by Anonymousreply 44September 24, 2023 5:51 PM

I am retired and on Medicare. I do not have to go to work anymore and be exposed to my dozens of coworkers who are exposed to all kinds of shit from their thousands of children and their schoolmates. Because of the virus wave timelines, I have used the first week in October as the date I get my Old Fuck extra concentrated Flu shot.

I will now add my annual Covid shot and get both early October.

by Anonymousreply 45September 25, 2023 12:24 AM

Ok, I went to schedule my shots and it appears that there is a Pfizer Covid shot and a Moderna.

Which one?

by Anonymousreply 46October 8, 2023 2:04 AM

Got my flu shot, RSV vaccine and COVID Moderna booster.

Get yours!

by Anonymousreply 47October 8, 2023 5:41 AM

R47 I went to make my Walgreens appointment and had a bunch if same day appointments. Left arm got the High dose fluzone and the Moderna update. Right arm got the RSV. Looking forward to feeling crappy tomorrow from the Moderna Mrna shot. Will update.

R46

by Anonymousreply 48October 8, 2023 11:21 PM

I had my flu shot Thursday at a routine doctor appointment, and the assistant plunged that needle in me like a stake into a vampire. It hurt then , hurt when I got home, and frankly I never had a flu shot hurt that bad. Today I got my Covid shot at the pharmacy, and I didn’t feel a thing!

by Anonymousreply 49October 9, 2023 1:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!