Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Baked Potatoes

The other night I had a delicious baked potato and wondered how many Dataloungers know how to make a proper baked potato (no aluminum foil!).

Here is my way of making that simple yet delicious accompaniment to a grilled steak:

[bold] GREG’S METHOD FOR MAKING THE MOST DELICIOUS BAKED POTATO IMAGINABLE [/bold]

[bold] INGREDIENTS [/bold] for two

-2 large and perfect looking Russet potatoes (purchase them loose not out of a bag)

-Light olive oil (or whatever oil you prefer)

-Sea salt

+++

[bold] PROCEDURE [/bold]

1. Preheat oven to 350°

2. Scrub potatoes under cold running water.

3. Dry potatoes well with paper toweling.

4. Prick each potato with a fork all over the exterior. About 12 pricks.

5. Place potatoes in a large bowl and drizzle with oil and sprinkle heavily with sea salt. Rub the oil and salt all over the potatoes.

6. Place potatoes directly on the middle rack and bake for one hour. You might want to place a baking sheet on the rack beneath the rack on which the potatoes are sitting in order to catch any drips from the potatoes.

7. After one hour check to see if the potatoes are nice and soft by piercing with a small paring knife.

8. When the potatoes are done and you are ready to serve, remove a potato from the oven and, while holding it, gently slam it onto the counter. This step is very important—as it help create a soft and fluffy interior.

9. Using a sharp knife, cut a big ‘X’ on the top of the potato and then, using two hands on both ends of the potato, push the inside of the potato up through the ‘X’.

10. The interior of the potato should appear high and fluffy now.

11. Add some butter, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper to the interior of the potato.

12. Top potato with a big spoonful of sour cream and lightly pepper if desired.

13. Garnish potato with some finely chopped chives or some scallion (green onion), sliced thinly on the bias.

14. Enjoy!

I guarantee that these baked potatoes will be the best you’ve ever made…maybe even the best you’re ever had!

Be sure to eat the potato skin. The skin of the Russet potato can have up to 12 times more antioxidants and nutrients than the flesh. Baked potato skin is also a great source of potassium and magnesium. And the skin has lots of fiber. Nearly half of a medium potato's fiber is from the skin.

Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 69February 10, 2024 4:42 AM

Brilliant, Greg.

When you have some time, could you post your recipe for boiling water?

by Anonymousreply 1September 11, 2023 11:30 AM

You had me at 12 pricks

by Anonymousreply 2September 11, 2023 11:30 AM

Yes, R1, but it is the same as my recipe for ice, only it is not frozen.

by Anonymousreply 3September 11, 2023 11:33 AM

[quote] You had me at 12 pricks

Now that R1 is here we need only 11 more.

by Anonymousreply 4September 11, 2023 11:34 AM

[quote]Using a sharp knife, cut a big ‘X’ on the top of the potato and then, using two hands on both ends of the potato, push the inside of the potato up through the ‘X’

Exactly the same as bottoms are handled in 02116.

by Anonymousreply 5September 11, 2023 11:36 AM

[quote] Exactly the same as bottoms are handled in 02116.

Only if they ask nicely.

by Anonymousreply 6September 11, 2023 11:45 AM

Great recap of just about every baked potato recipe on the Internet. At least those that have nothing to do with a microwave.

by Anonymousreply 7September 11, 2023 11:52 AM

[quote] Great recap of just about every baked potato recipe on the Internet. At least those that have nothing to do with a microwave.

Glad so many people know what they’re doing.

by Anonymousreply 8September 11, 2023 11:58 AM

14 steps to make a baked potato, dear? How cute. Next time try this, it's more efficient:

1. Take a big old Idaho potato and shove it in your prissy hole.

by Anonymousreply 9September 11, 2023 12:19 PM

I’ll be sure to give it a try, R9.

by Anonymousreply 10September 11, 2023 12:21 PM

What about the sour cream, R9?

by Anonymousreply 11September 11, 2023 12:25 PM

This is the America's Test Kitchen recipe. They suggest putting the potato in salted water rather than applying salt to the exterior. And only six pricks.

Best Baked Potatoes

From America's Test Kitchen Season 17: Back to Basics

To produce baked potatoes with an evenly fluffy interior, we figured out their ideal doneness temperature: 205 degrees. Baking them in a hot (450-degree) oven prevents a leathery “pellicle” from forming underneath the peel. To season the skin, we coat the potatoes in salty water before baking; we crisp the skin by painting it with vegetable oil once the potatoes are cooked through and then baking the potatoes for an additional 10 minutes.

Serves 4

Open up the potatoes immediately after removal from the oven in step 3 so steam can escape. Top them as desired, or with one of our toppings.

INGREDIENTS

Salt and pepper

4 (7- to 9-ounce) russet potatoes, unpeeled, each lightly pricked with fork in 6 places

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Dissolve 2 tablespoons salt in 1/2 cup water in large bowl. Place potatoes in bowl and toss so exteriors of potatoes are evenly moistened. Transfer potatoes to wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet and bake until center of largest potato registers 205 degrees, 45 minutes to 1 hour.

2. Remove potatoes from oven and brush tops and sides with oil. Return potatoes to oven and continue to bake for 10 minutes.

3. Remove potatoes from oven and, using paring knife, make 2 slits, forming X, in each potato. Using clean dish towel, hold ends and squeeze slightly to push flesh up and out. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

by Anonymousreply 12September 11, 2023 3:07 PM

R8

I will give you credit. When you do post someone else’s recipe, as your own , you do copy the original word for word.

And here I thought that people who claimed this is what you do were just making shit up about you.

by Anonymousreply 13September 11, 2023 3:07 PM

False, R13.

These are all my words, not even one of them copied.

This is always the case. I am a far better writer than most recipe authors.

What makes you say this? I know that you haven't found any recipe online in my exact words.

So yes, people who claim that this is what I do are truly making up shit about me.

by Anonymousreply 14September 11, 2023 3:39 PM

I have an Anova steam oven ... it makes the best baked potatoes I've ever had.

by Anonymousreply 15September 11, 2023 3:46 PM

^ Ah, steamed-baked potatoes.

I think the Anova uses a probe with the steam function until the potatoes are tender and then switches to dry heat to crisp the skin.

by Anonymousreply 16September 11, 2023 3:58 PM

Greg, Happy Monday, how are you doing today.

Phillywhore's recipe on how to cook a Baked Potato- Clean potato under hot water, slice potato 3/4 of the way through, put on baking tray into over between 350& 400 degrees(usually 375). Finished in an hour, split potato open, slit the potato down the middle. fill with potato fixings over at the bar. Eat the entire potato(skin& all)

I told all 6 of the kids, a potato has everything vitamin you need in it, especially the skin.

by Anonymousreply 17September 11, 2023 4:25 PM

Not fully loaded? Fuck off, Greg

by Anonymousreply 18September 11, 2023 4:28 PM

I've gone off potatoes of late. I'm going to try this. Thanks Greg,

by Anonymousreply 19September 11, 2023 4:32 PM

My pleasure, R19!

Hope you like it.

by Anonymousreply 20September 11, 2023 4:46 PM

R12, have done this method and can confirm - the absolute best. But I always read posts from Greg because he brings a lot to the party.

by Anonymousreply 21September 11, 2023 5:07 PM

I never poke holes my potatoes and they come out fine.

by Anonymousreply 22September 11, 2023 5:17 PM

Greg has carb face.

by Anonymousreply 23September 11, 2023 5:34 PM

[quote] But I always read posts from Greg because he brings a lot to the party.

You’re telling us! That drudge constantly shoves his World Famous Prune Surprise, a recipe he stole from Hyacinth Bucket, under your nose.

by Anonymousreply 24September 11, 2023 5:41 PM

[quote] [R12], have done this method and can confirm - the absolute best. But I always read posts from Greg because he brings a lot to the party.

I am looking forward to trying this method!

Thank you, R12 & R21.

by Anonymousreply 25September 11, 2023 5:44 PM

POP your baked potato!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 11, 2023 5:45 PM

Greg02116, why aren't you married? Or, are you??

by Anonymousreply 27September 11, 2023 6:19 PM

CarbFace02116.

by Anonymousreply 28September 11, 2023 6:29 PM

[quote] Greg02116, why aren't you married? Or, are you??

I am.

by Anonymousreply 29September 11, 2023 6:31 PM

^ lucky him!

by Anonymousreply 30September 11, 2023 6:43 PM

"gently slam"

? Huh ?

by Anonymousreply 31September 11, 2023 6:47 PM

The "slam the potato" trick should be credited to Martha Stewart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 11, 2023 6:49 PM

[quote] "gently slam" ? Huh ?

I bet you can figure out what this means.

Don't slam it with all your might or you'll have potato everywhere.

You want the potato to stay intact and not split apart.

by Anonymousreply 33September 11, 2023 7:03 PM

[quote] The "slam the potato" trick should be credited to Martha Stewart.

No, it should not.

I did not learn that from her.

by Anonymousreply 34September 11, 2023 7:03 PM

How do you gently "slam" anything?

by Anonymousreply 35September 11, 2023 7:12 PM

^ By making the potato stay intact and not split apart.

If you can't figure this out, perhaps you should have rice.

by Anonymousreply 36September 11, 2023 7:53 PM

Microwave "baked" potatoes turn out fine. Just add butter. I sometimes only eat half and use the leftover half to make delicious home fries the next day, frying them in butter and adding pepper and salt afterwards. BTW Greg, do you have a better recipe for homemade Tater Tots?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 11, 2023 8:24 PM

NO, it's Bouquet!!

by Anonymousreply 38September 11, 2023 8:27 PM

[quote] Greg, do you have a better recipe for homemade Tater Tots?

No, I don’t, R37/Phil Lustine, but I’ll investigate for you.

by Anonymousreply 39September 11, 2023 8:29 PM

475 degrees, roll the potato in olive oil and salt, pierce after an hour and cook for half an hour more, drop from about a foot onto a counter. Split and slather.

by Anonymousreply 40September 11, 2023 9:07 PM

R37, here’s one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 11, 2023 9:09 PM

All I do is wash the potato, run a metal skewer through it and bake for an hour at 375. Comes out fine -- the skewer conducts heat to the interior and cooks it faster.

by Anonymousreply 42September 11, 2023 9:13 PM

I love baked potatoes with butter and sour cream.

Greg, is your husband on DL, too?

by Anonymousreply 43September 11, 2023 9:16 PM

I love your recipes Greg. You can tell you are a real chef. However it’s appearing lined out which means anyday you’ll be redlined as troll. It’s sad that people stalk you just to hate.

by Anonymousreply 44September 11, 2023 9:17 PM

Just remember one very important thing my children. A watched pot never boils.

by Anonymousreply 45September 11, 2023 9:22 PM

[quote] Greg, is your husband on DL, too?

No, but I sometimes read some of the more amusing threads to him.

I believe he finds it a pretty low class form of amusement.

by Anonymousreply 46September 11, 2023 9:24 PM

[quote] I love your recipes Greg. You can tell you are a real chef. However it’s appearing lined out which means anyday you’ll be redlined as troll. It’s sad that people stalk you just to hate.

Thank you, R44/Teacake.

People who stalk me in order to be unpleasant, are doing so because of their own unhappiness.

It’s sad, really.

by Anonymousreply 47September 11, 2023 9:27 PM

[quote] Greg, is your husband on DL, too?

No. But I sometimes read some the more amusing threads to him.

by Anonymousreply 48September 11, 2023 9:36 PM

Stay tuned tomorrow when I share with you the best way to cook rice.

by Anonymousreply 49September 11, 2023 10:20 PM

Greg must have been sampling the cooking sherry. Insulting portmanteau and answering posts twice.

It’s the first sign of a marriage on the brink of collapse. Likely would have left for a newer drudge before the lockdown if not for inertia.

by Anonymousreply 50September 12, 2023 1:23 AM

Such a nice sentiment, Tony.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 51September 12, 2023 3:27 AM

Diabetics should cut their potatoes into cubes, freeze them, and then cook in the microwave. It helps reduce their glycemic load.

by Anonymousreply 52September 12, 2023 3:36 AM

[quote] A watched pot never boils.

Link?

by Anonymousreply 53September 12, 2023 11:38 PM

Some big pots belong on the back burner.

by Anonymousreply 54September 13, 2023 12:14 AM

^^^ don't you have a cousin you should be dating?

by Anonymousreply 55September 13, 2023 1:27 AM

R55 sleeps with the fishes.

by Anonymousreply 56September 13, 2023 11:21 AM

^^Nice try. I'm still not giving you a passing grade.

by Anonymousreply 57September 13, 2023 3:35 PM

Come on people, let's stick to the topic at hand:

[bold] My amazingly delicious baked potatoes. [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 58September 13, 2023 5:58 PM

Apart from rolling the potatoes, these are pretty standard instructions but I'm sure some will find them helpful so thanks, Greg.

by Anonymousreply 59September 13, 2023 6:45 PM

[quote]Stay tuned tomorrow when I share with you the best way to cook rice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 13, 2023 7:51 PM

And it will also share some tips on how to rid light colored underwear of those dreadful skid marks.

by Anonymousreply 61September 13, 2023 8:26 PM

Thank you, R59!

Needless to say, baking a potato is pretty rudimentary, but I’m sure that not everyone knows how.

by Anonymousreply 62September 13, 2023 8:33 PM

[quote] And it will also share some tips on how to rid light colored underwear of those dreadful skid marks.

A little chlorine bleach in the wash for whites or else some colorfast bleach or OxyClean.

And use the hottest water possible.

by Anonymousreply 63September 13, 2023 8:35 PM

I eagerly await Greg's 27-step recipe for a peanut butter sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 64September 13, 2023 8:36 PM

Great idea, R64.

Step One: Purchase a strawberry plant.

by Anonymousreply 65September 13, 2023 8:52 PM

You’re going to grow your own peanuts too right R65?

by Anonymousreply 66September 13, 2023 11:49 PM

R66, of course.

by Anonymousreply 67September 13, 2023 11:57 PM

Greg, I made these tonight and they were incredible. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 68February 10, 2024 3:56 AM

Thank you, R68.

I appreciate your saying so.

by Anonymousreply 69February 10, 2024 4:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!