Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

So About Hurricane Lee

Sorry if there’s already a thread, I did look and didn’t see anything.

Is it going to hit New York? Boston? Newfoundland? Should I be preparing for impending homelessness again?

by Anonymousreply 41November 9, 2023 1:34 AM

It's weakening. Looks like it won't pose a threat.

by Anonymousreply 1September 9, 2023 3:09 PM

Hello, ElderLez!

Just wanted to say “Hi!” You’re the BEST!!

by Anonymousreply 2September 9, 2023 3:13 PM

We mustn't start sentences with "So."

by Anonymousreply 3September 9, 2023 3:13 PM

Apologies for the “so” Teri. But you might look like a meteorologist.

by Anonymousreply 4September 9, 2023 3:57 PM

[Quote] Is it going to hit New York?

Just keep it outta Floriduh. I haven't gotten over Ian yet.

by Anonymousreply 5September 9, 2023 4:02 PM

Hi R2! Smooches

by Anonymousreply 6September 9, 2023 4:05 PM

Hunker down, fags!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 9, 2023 4:21 PM

[quote]Rough surf, rip currents and hazardous conditions are forecast along much of the U.S. East Coast starting as early as Sunday evening. By Tuesday and Wednesday, a large field of very large waves will reach the U.S. East Coast, "producing dangerous surf, rip current conditions and certainly some beach erosion," Brennan said.

from USA Today

by Anonymousreply 8September 9, 2023 4:28 PM

Oh ElderLez! Did you lose a home to one of the big hurricanes that hit the northeast? I’m so sorry and hope that never happens again. I can relate. I’ve posted before I’m from New Orleans. I lost almost a whole city once and it sucked. ☹️

Best of luck to you and everyone in its path.

by Anonymousreply 9September 9, 2023 5:17 PM

Oh ElderLez! Did you lose a home to one of the big hurricanes that hit the northeast? I’m so sorry and hope that never happens again. I can relate. I’ve posted before I’m from New Orleans. I lost almost a whole city once and it sucked. ☹️

Best of luck to you and everyone in its path.

by Anonymousreply 10September 9, 2023 5:17 PM

I posted that twice because I wanted you to know how TRULY sorry I am.

(🙄. My phone has a mind of it own and just posts things before I’m finished sometimes. And now it apparently thinks I should post things twice. Sorry about the double post).

by Anonymousreply 11September 9, 2023 5:46 PM

East coasters beware.

[quote] Hurricane Lee is rewriting old rules of meteorology, leaving experts astonished at how rapidly it grew into a goliath Category 5 hurricane. “Hurricanes are getting stronger at higher latitudes,” said Marshall Shepherd, director of the University of Georgia’s atmospheric sciences program and a past president of the American Meteorological Society. “If that trend continues, that brings into play places like Washington, D.C., New York and Boston.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 9, 2023 6:18 PM

Dammit, you wait all summer for a hurricane to titillate you with the possibility of hitting and causing damage to your area and then it just fizzles out.

by Anonymousreply 13September 9, 2023 6:32 PM

Our building was yellow condemned after Sandy, but we were only displaced for about six months and did not lose much more than our car since we were not on the ground floor. Still it was a traumatic experience and one I am not eager to go through again.

by Anonymousreply 14September 9, 2023 8:50 PM

When the thing got to160mph at one point I was like at extreme MARY level. Thankfully it’s weakened. wow people got weird on social media. Trolling of people trying to evacuate was out of control. If it gets stronger you have to check it every few hours to see what it’s doing feeling like a sitting duck. I hope everyone is ok.

I know there are probably trolls messing with people and spreading misinformation about the Morocco earthquake and Hawaiian fires but it’s the misinformation throwing people off that annoys me the most. Another reason not to look at fb yay

by Anonymousreply 15September 9, 2023 10:00 PM

I like the name, very gender neutral for our genderless times.

by Anonymousreply 16September 9, 2023 10:12 PM

It's gonna be a tough winter for the northeast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 9, 2023 11:02 PM

R14/ElderLez, that’s REALLY awful! Even for Katrina, I was one of the luckily ones and didn’t lose my home but I had to evacuate and live 300 miles away but only for a month and a half. But when I left it was a city of almost 500,000 people. When I came back it was 70,000 for about a year. Super weird to live in an empty city.

Good luck and stay safe.

by Anonymousreply 18September 9, 2023 11:22 PM

And interesting map from the Canadians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 10, 2023 6:02 PM

New York City is going to get flooding, if not a hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 11, 2023 2:44 PM

The flood warning for tonight is not due to Lee

by Anonymousreply 21September 11, 2023 2:50 PM

Cape Cod looks to be in trouble R20.

R18 wow 300 miles away for any length of time is hard. We were close enough that my wife went twice a week to pick up the mail.

by Anonymousreply 22September 11, 2023 4:05 PM

[quote]Cape Cod looks to be in trouble [R20].

Alert Patti Page.

by Anonymousreply 23September 11, 2023 4:08 PM

ElderLez/r22, 300 miles was the closest family and we weren’t even allowed back in the city for the first month. Everybody was supposed to be evacuated but some people stayed and the national guard didn’t remove them but they wouldn’t let you in if you were on the outside. So we didn’t even try to come back for the first month and then we did just to check and we had no power so we had to spend two more weeks away before we had electricity. We came back as soon as we could but we probably shouldn’t have. We had no gas or hot water for another month and no internet for 3 months. No cable, no landline, no hot water, no internet, very spotty cell phone service (and no smart phones). Just lots of games of scrabble. It was very dull. And depressing. I think we had an 8pm curfew until Halloween, so even going out to get a drink wasn’t something you could really enjoy unless you went out at 6pm and were prepared to call it a night at 8.

I really hope you’re safe and nothing bad happens. Please keep us updated and good luck.

by Anonymousreply 24September 12, 2023 1:01 AM

Why is it these hurricanes meander for days in the ocean, wobbling back and forth but when they get close to the east coast of the US they zoom up that corridor from Carolinas all the way up to maritimes. It’s like we hear about a hurricanes for 3 weeks and it seems to sit in same place for days. Then ZOOM right up the east coast in the course of one day.

by Anonymousreply 25September 12, 2023 3:23 PM

it's a sort of storm battling storm. low pressure in the eastern part of the US and high pressure in the north atlantic is sort of guiding Lee to go away

by Anonymousreply 26September 12, 2023 3:38 PM

Looks like Halifax if getting direct hit.

by Anonymousreply 27September 12, 2023 3:48 PM

Have you ever studied physical geography? I Guess not, it you’re that clueless how land mass affects the oceans, and Vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 28September 12, 2023 9:52 PM

Maybe you could study capitalization.

by Anonymousreply 29September 12, 2023 10:00 PM

Do dazzle us with your expert knowledge, R28. Like, water is wet and land is not. Then there’s hot things and cold things. And wind. There’s wind some rehired in there. And the moon.

by Anonymousreply 30September 12, 2023 10:28 PM

Right after you form A complete Sentence.

by Anonymousreply 31September 12, 2023 10:48 PM

Please, please, give us physical geography tips and pointers!

by Anonymousreply 32September 14, 2023 2:46 PM

The gays are on the case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2023 9:24 PM

We done with Lee

by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2023 11:50 PM

Blame Canada!

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2023 12:09 AM

Quite relieved it was nothing but some good waves for the surfers this morning by me.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2023 12:54 AM

I have limbs all over my yard and the driveway is covered in pine cones. Big cleanup for me tomorrow but at least it's supposed to be a nice day.

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2023 1:34 AM

In autumn, the gulf stream pushes hurricanes northward out to colder Atlantic waters and they fizzle.

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2023 5:59 AM

Don’t try to explain physical geography to the DL—they won’t cotton to it.

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2023 2:45 PM

R37, I have big pine cones everywhere too, but didn’t get any wind. The past few years my pine trees are just shedding tons of pine cones

by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2023 7:20 PM

R36/ElderLez, are you still here? Someone posted we’d lost you and a lot of folks are concerned (lots of love for you here). Hope to hear from you soon.

by Anonymousreply 41November 9, 2023 1:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!