Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Bea Arthur a lesbian?

Military service, long-term 2nd- and final- marriage and adopted kids:

"Her first marriage took place in 1944, during her time in the military when she wed fellow Marine Robert Alan Aurthur, later a screenwriter, television, and film producer and director. They divorced three years later, but she kept his surname, with the spelling adjusted to Arthur. Shortly after they divorced in 1950, she married director Gene Saks with whom she adopted two sons, Matthew, an actor, and Daniel, a set designer. She and Saks remained married until 1978."

by Anonymousreply 71July 21, 2024 3:10 PM

Look, Sherlock, a clue!!!

by Anonymousreply 1September 5, 2023 11:41 PM

We're Bea and Betty secretly lovers at any point? They were in this fan fiction I'm writing.

by Anonymousreply 2September 5, 2023 11:47 PM

I wonder if she ever scissored with Adrienne Barbeau?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 6, 2023 7:10 AM

Bea loved cock. Couldn't get enough of it!

by Anonymousreply 4September 6, 2023 7:15 AM

R4, You know this how? And you can love cock and pussy too. I think she had a romantic relationship with Angela Lansbury. She also said in her 2002 Lifetime Portrait that her relationship with her husband was kind of like a partnership of talent. She never said she was in love with him which I found a little odd. Also, look at how she contantly avoids answering Dinah Shore's questions about men in this 1989 interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 6, 2023 1:51 PM

We'll always be Scissor Sisters,,,friends, sisters and pals,,,,,,

by Anonymousreply 6November 6, 2023 1:58 PM

Dinah was being catty, so annoying!

by Anonymousreply 7November 6, 2023 2:32 PM

Do you know HOW MANY WOMEN SERVED IN THE MILITARY IN WW2? You think that makes them lesbians?

This is why people hate faggots.

by Anonymousreply 8November 6, 2023 2:35 PM

Wasn't she a big supporter of Trevor Project?

by Anonymousreply 9November 6, 2023 2:40 PM

She probably packed more than most DLers.

by Anonymousreply 10November 6, 2023 2:50 PM

Two marriages, one lasting nearly thirty years, isn't exactly proof positive she was a lesbian. As already noted, many women (including my maternal grandmother) did military service during World War II. Take a look at a wartime film sometime. And adoption doesn't mean somebody is gay, either.

So I guess what you've got left is that she was unusually tall and had an atypically deep voice for a woman. I mean, she could have been one, I've no idea, but there really isn't any compelling evidence.

by Anonymousreply 11November 6, 2023 2:53 PM

[quote]Arthur bequeathed $300,000 to the Ali Forney Center, a New York City organization that provides housing for homeless LGBTQ+ youths.

Definitely a lez.

by Anonymousreply 12November 6, 2023 2:56 PM

Did Bea really take a dump in Betty’s dressing room wastebasket? That is what Dinah should have asked her!

by Anonymousreply 13November 6, 2023 2:57 PM

She was an image consultant.

by Anonymousreply 14November 6, 2023 3:19 PM

I always wonder why she continued to deny her time in the military.

We've all seen the pictures.

And remember, Joan Rivers outed her as a very nasty drunk.

I think the actual Bea is very different from the Bea we all know and love.

by Anonymousreply 15November 6, 2023 3:56 PM

Bea was an alcoholic. I have friends that were close to her. She would go on rants about Betty White too. Miss Coco Peru, another close friend, had to change the name of her show, “Drinks with Coco”, because Bea was in recovery. A comedian revealed in a YouTube video Bea coming to see her show unannounced. She got Bea to come up on stage to sing. Bea whispered in her ear, “I’m so drunk I could fart.”

Bea didn’t wear shoes. She walked the street barefoot. The woman was odd.

That great book, “Golden Girls Forever”, interviews hundreds of people who worked on the show. Not one positive word about Bea. The cast had to constantly apologize for her. Bea had an actress fired because she was chewing gum.

by Anonymousreply 16November 6, 2023 4:52 PM

I believe you, R16. Wink, wink.

by Anonymousreply 17November 6, 2023 5:06 PM

The reason Bea didn't wear shoes was because she had very big feet and had a hard time finding attractive comfortable shoes. I don't think she hung around enough drag queens.

And she was a good sport to Jeff Ross' infamous joke: Sandra Bernhard? I wouldn't fuck Sandra Bernhard with Bea Arthur's dick. Ross said he stood in line to pay tribute after her one woman show and Bea saw him and said "you nailed me, you prick".

by Anonymousreply 18November 6, 2023 5:07 PM

Some of these celebrity threads are exercises in creative writing.

by Anonymousreply 19November 6, 2023 5:07 PM

Nice one OP. Maybe I should start a thread about closet case Allen Ludden, his wife Saint Betty White, and their suspiciously close relationship with Grant Tinker and Mary Tyler Moore. Or maybe a thread on Julie Andrew's and Carol Burnett's close relationship and their trips together to Julie's chateau in Scissorland- I mean Switzerland.

by Anonymousreply 20November 6, 2023 5:24 PM

"Golden Girls Forever" is tabloid trash, along the lines of the Judy Garland book, "Get Happy".

by Anonymousreply 21November 6, 2023 5:26 PM

R17, Everything R16 wrote is true.

by Anonymousreply 22November 6, 2023 5:28 PM

This woman said Bea Arthur hit on her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 7, 2023 1:56 PM

I wouldn't trust "Yvonne" as far as I could throw her! Feigning dumb like she can't remember their names...puhleese!

by Anonymousreply 24November 7, 2023 6:13 PM

Isn't Danny Thomas one?

by Anonymousreply 25November 7, 2023 6:29 PM

R15 Bea never talked about (sometimes outright denying it) her military service. She received a medical discharge because she contracted a STD. She allegedly was raped by her senior enlisted boss. As a result of the incident she was unable to carry a pregnancy to term and it wasn’t an honorable discharge. That’s why she didn’t like talking about the Marines. Poor thing, I can see why she was so bristly and moody at times.

by Anonymousreply 26November 7, 2023 6:44 PM

How do you know this, R26?

by Anonymousreply 27November 7, 2023 8:51 PM

For R27

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 8, 2023 1:16 AM

For r27 again...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 8, 2023 1:17 AM

Thank you r26 for this information. I'm a fan and I never knew about this.

The rape and the following events would explain a lot.

This is why DL, despite the prisspots, incels and trolls, is still worth a look.

by Anonymousreply 30November 8, 2023 1:27 AM

You’re welcome r30…it’s sad to think about. She carried that trauma with her all her adult life.

by Anonymousreply 31November 8, 2023 1:44 AM

R24, She remembered Betty's name but not Bea. It doesn't mean she's lying. She was on the show only once in 1989. What she says about Bea makes sense because if you watch Maude, Bea liked to look at other women's breasts all the time.

by Anonymousreply 32November 8, 2023 10:55 AM

She was in her younger days what the non pc folks referred to as a BAM, Not sure if that always means the same as lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 33November 8, 2023 11:10 AM

BAM?

by Anonymousreply 34November 8, 2023 11:12 AM

Major pussyhound. Big Bush supporter.

by Anonymousreply 35November 8, 2023 11:36 AM

If they discharged every soldier who contracted an std there'd be no one left.

She may have been discharged but it wasn't for v.d.

by Anonymousreply 36November 8, 2023 12:23 PM

How do you know that r36?

by Anonymousreply 37November 8, 2023 1:41 PM

Boze Hadleigh put Bea's picture on the cover of his book "The Hollywood Closet" because he believes Bea was a closet case.

by Anonymousreply 38November 8, 2023 2:36 PM

I know the owner of a day spa In Provincetown, MA. Rue McClanahan was in town giving a reading of her memoir. According to the owner, Rue called to schedule a massage. When asked whether she wanted a masseur or a masseuse, she apparently responded, “ I want a man, honey! I’m not Bea Arthur.”

by Anonymousreply 39November 8, 2023 8:57 PM

[quote]She and Saks remained married until 1978..

I would've divorced him immediately after Mame.

by Anonymousreply 40November 8, 2023 9:27 PM

Didn't Saks cheat on her and leave her for another woman?

by Anonymousreply 41November 9, 2023 3:14 AM

Bea when asked about Mame: "IT WAS A TOTAL HORROR!!" lol. She seemed to think Mame was on the same level as Showgirls or Freddy Got Fingered.

I liked Mame. It was a fun movie. I would have loved to see Angela in the movie with Bea but it didn't happen and I think Lucille Ball did a good job.

Bea was great too.

by Anonymousreply 42November 9, 2023 11:11 AM

The Man in the Moon IS A BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 43November 9, 2023 11:16 AM

Yes R41. Gene Saks didn't want her to do Maude. Their marriage fell apart during that time and he left her for another woman.

I remember reading an article where Gene said that he was often depressed and suicidal while married to Bea. I don't remember where I read this. I think it was online on a Bea fan site.

He was basically saying that it was very tough being married to her.

by Anonymousreply 44November 9, 2023 11:17 AM

Is this true R39 or are you making this up?

by Anonymousreply 45November 9, 2023 11:19 AM

R39 & R45 if it’s true about the massage, she’d request a woman because she was raped

by Anonymousreply 46November 9, 2023 11:24 AM

^Also. Not either or if the other rumors are true

by Anonymousreply 47November 9, 2023 11:25 AM

If true R46, she wouldn't have been married twice. I'm sure she had sex with her husbands, but needed a female massage therapist because she was raped? Doesn't make sense. If what R39 wrote is true, why would Rue say this about Bea? What was she implying?

by Anonymousreply 48November 9, 2023 2:15 PM

Maybe she didn’t want strange men she didn’t know touching her body. And if Gene Saks alluded to the fact that marriage to Bea was difficult, her being a rape survivor no doubt would have had an impact on their married life.

by Anonymousreply 49November 9, 2023 2:18 PM

Not every cranky, brittle, angry cunt is a lesbian.

But every lesbian is a cranky, brittle, angry cunt.

by Anonymousreply 50November 9, 2023 2:28 PM

I don’t believe that Bea was raped. There is a member on here who has been harking on about this for years trying to make it a thing. That blog could have been written by anybody, there is no proof she was raped.

I am more inclined to believe that Bea contributed the the book Lesbians In Hollywood, under the cloak of anonymity. In the book an actress said that if she ever got another big show she would refuse to wear a dress. In Golden Girls Bea very rarely wore a dress, even what looked like a dress on closer inspection turned out to be culottes.

R21 Golden Girls Forever is not tabloid trash. They interviewed everyone still alive and connected to the show, nobody had anything nice to say about Bea. Great actress but a fucking nightmare in real life. Imagine poor Rue, Betty and Estelle, finally the main stars in a long running brilliant sitcom, but having to put up with Bea every day.

by Anonymousreply 51November 9, 2023 4:10 PM

Here's a quote by Bea from the book "Inside the Hollywood Closet: A Book of Quotes" by Boze Hadleigh.

"Yes, I agree a very large percentage of comediennes are lesbian... Most? I don't know about that... But give the ladies time. Most are still in the closet." - Bea Arthur

by Anonymousreply 52November 9, 2023 6:59 PM

So you don’t believe that r51 somehow means that it didn’t happen? 🙄🙄🙄🙄

No one is making this up. You’re just being a contrarian and a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 53November 9, 2023 11:51 PM

It’s true, R45. According to the owner.

by Anonymousreply 54November 10, 2023 12:55 AM

Lesbian.

Lesbian?

LESBIAN!

by Anonymousreply 55November 10, 2023 1:00 AM

R53 Stop talking daft you silly fanboy. There has never been any suggestion ever that Bea was raped. Are you the same idiot who keeps going on about how Dorothy lost a baby in childbirth as away of explaining why she didn't have a 38 year old child?

by Anonymousreply 56November 10, 2023 7:00 AM

From a 2001 interview with "OUT" magazine:

OUT: Have you ever tried a lesbian tryst?

BEA: I thought about it once, but it didn’t take. I didn’t even approach it.

OUT: Was it a long time ago or last week?

BEA: It was possibly after an unhappy divorce. I thought maybe I’d make life easy for myself. But I can’t do that. I’m completely, irrationally heterosexual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 10, 2023 8:21 AM

R57, She's completely, irrationally heterosexual just like she NEVER joined the Marines. ;-)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 10, 2023 11:19 AM

R56 you type…stupid.

by Anonymousreply 59November 10, 2023 1:10 PM

^^ and you are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 60November 10, 2023 3:43 PM

Girls, girls. You're both cunts!

by Anonymousreply 61November 10, 2023 4:03 PM

Let's talk about the "Many Beas Conspiracy Theory". Compare what she looks like on All In The Family to her appearance on The Merv Griffin Show in 1985. They are clearly two different women.

by Anonymousreply 62November 10, 2023 5:14 PM

I believe it. Rape is such a traumatic experience, it's totally understandable why she'd say she did not serve in the Marines when it obviously would have triggered negative memories. And many difficult people have toxic experiences that make them act that way. I would not want to have lived with Bea, but I feel for her and what she went through.

by Anonymousreply 63November 10, 2023 5:24 PM

Wow, the rape story is right up there with the crapping on the floor of Betty White's dressing room in terms of factual veracity...

by Anonymousreply 64November 10, 2023 11:07 PM

Mrs Naugatuck ate hole

by Anonymousreply 65November 10, 2023 11:42 PM

From Dann Dulin's interview with Bea in 1998:

"With a node to Barbara Walters I ask Bea for a one word response to a few of the people who've crossed her path.

Lucille Ball : "Gorgeous."

Gene Saks : "Talented. Talented." (Gene Saks was her husband)

Rue McClanahan : "Ah. Gifted."

Estelle Getty: "Ballsy."

Betty White: Bea leans forward, eyes me directly, smiles wide, which I think is going to break into a laugh, and so I begin to laugh. Instead, her eyes moisten, she turns her body completely away from me, then puts her hand up and with a quiver in her voice says, "Next." She is stricken momentarily with emotion. I pause.

I continue this inquiry with the famous characters she has portrayed.

Vera Charles : "Delicious," she says as if eating chocolate mousse.

Maude Findlay : "Omnipotent," she says boldly and assuredly.

Dorothy Zbornak: "Dorothy," she says as though the name were new to her, then laughs. She grapples for a word. "I loved her. What's a word I can use? Fulfilling? I don't know. Bizarre? Outrageous? I don't know." She really cannot come up with a word that fully satisfies her.

In the mid-fifties, Bea Arthur and Tallulah Bankhead were traveling from city to city by train, appearing in The Ziegfeld Folies. They were in Tallulah's roomette at 9 o'clock in the morning. Tallulah was drinking Bourbon. Bea relates the story. "Tallulah said, 'You know, all the kids in the cast seem to think that I'm having an affair with Jack Cole [the choreographer], but of course,'" Bea halts, then in her lowest voice yet, imitates Tallulah, "'Jack is gay.'" Bea drops the Tallulah voice and continues, "'Let's face it, Divine Beatrice. There's a touch of homosexual in all of us. It's not the cock. And it's not the twat. It's the eyes don't you know, and sometimes, the smell of lilac.'" Bea's delivery is so understated. She sums up reflecting with a hint of laughter, "I've never forgotten (this). I could cry thinking about it. It's so beautiful, isn't it?" Then in a tranquil voice mixed with affection she says, "She's quite a character."

by Anonymousreply 66November 11, 2023 5:13 PM

Bea and Adrienne had fabulous boobs on Maude. I watch the show just to stare at their boobs.

by Anonymousreply 67July 9, 2024 2:20 PM

[quote] Joan Rivers outed her as a very nasty drunk.

And trans entertainer Alexander Billings outed her as a FUN drunk. Alex had an act at Gentry on Halsted in Chicago and Bea stopped in... Here's the story at the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 9, 2024 2:34 PM

So we can conclude that Bea was often drunk.

That could explain her issues with Betty and many of the guest stars on GG.

I think Rue and Estelle knew when to shut up and leave Bea alone.

But Betty was probably like SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS UM-DITTLE-ITTL-UM-DITTLE-I every single day while Bea had a hangover.

by Anonymousreply 69July 9, 2024 4:31 PM

Bea staring at Angela breasts at 0:47 even when the cameras are rolling and every is watching. She just couldn't help herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 21, 2024 3:08 PM

Correction: Angela's breasts

Correction number 2: everyone is watching

by Anonymousreply 71July 21, 2024 3:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!