Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sabrina 54 vs. Sabrina 95

It's too hard to pick a favorite. The remake has as good a cast, Ormond was actually 'forgettable' compared to Hepburn, and Mrs. Larrabee was much funnier than Mr.Larrabee in the 54 version. Hard to compete with the costumes and casting in the original, but damn if the remake doesn't come close.

Two movies that actually compete as original and remake.

by Anonymousreply 16September 29, 2024 2:42 AM

You're insane. The original leaves the horrible remake in the dust.

by Anonymousreply 1September 3, 2023 2:40 PM

The 1996 version was best

by Anonymousreply 2September 3, 2023 2:44 PM

Hey asshole, what about us?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 3, 2023 2:48 PM

The original was kind of a confection that rests of the charm of the leads.

The remake had no reason to exist. It’s one of those bloated 1990s comedy dramas no one makes any more but Nancy Meyers; I get nostalgic for them, but not for this.

That said Julia Ormond wasn’t actually too bad in it, she was charming and beautiful, but she couldn’t compete with Audrey (who could?).

by Anonymousreply 4September 3, 2023 3:14 PM

Humphrey Bogart, William Holden, and Audrey Hepburn vs Harrison Ford, Greg Kinnear, and Julia Ormond?

C'mon

by Anonymousreply 5September 3, 2023 3:56 PM

R3 see R2

by Anonymousreply 6September 3, 2023 4:06 PM

How did Sabrina (1995) even get made? Were Harrison Ford, Greg Kinnear, Julia Ormond, and Sydney Pollack all CAA clients or something?

by Anonymousreply 7September 3, 2023 4:16 PM

Sabrina 1956 has always been one of my favorite movies . Not everything should be re-examined so closely - of course things don’t hold up as they should - it was a perfect little fairytale - if you don’t examine the hell out of it - like “Daddy Long Legs - yes - the age difference. The duplicity (but that is what the Doris Day/ Rock Hudson movies hinge on). The chauffeur’s daughter - the servants. But it is magic - it is like a beautiful Christmas ornament to be taken out and enjoyed and admired for its history and the enjoyment it has given you over the years. . I have never heard “Isn’t it Romantic” without thinking about William Holden. ….. At least the 1995 Sydney Pollack movie was respectful to the original. It just wasn’t magic.

by Anonymousreply 8September 3, 2023 4:36 PM

Rewatched both this weekend: I’m sorry to say this but the Pollack (1995) version is a better version.

by Anonymousreply 9September 27, 2024 11:42 AM

Sabrina Sabrina Sabrina! Where have you been all my life?

Right over the garage.

by Anonymousreply 10September 27, 2024 12:34 PM

Julia Ormond was awful. I find her lacking in charisma and not very pretty and the clothes were nothing. Nothing can top Hepburn's outfits and elegance.

by Anonymousreply 11September 27, 2024 1:50 PM

Ormond was very good years later in a recurring role in Mad Men.

Her career was derailed by Weinstein.

by Anonymousreply 12September 27, 2024 1:53 PM

Winona Ryder was going to play Sabrina until Harrison Ford's then wife pointed out he would look ridiculous playing the love interest of someone that young. Ormond was dreadful. I've always thought of her as a bargain basement version of Juliette Binoche.

by Anonymousreply 13September 27, 2024 1:57 PM

Ryder probably would've been incredible as Sabrina; they should've re-cast Harrison Ford to make that work.

by Anonymousreply 14September 27, 2024 2:00 PM

Hepburn’s Sabrina had the better wardrobe and higher level of elegance, but Ormond’s Sabrina had the much better writing and character development.

Harrison Ford was a very believable Linus than Humphrey Bogart.

William Holden was the better David.

by Anonymousreply 15September 27, 2024 2:05 PM

Yes! We have no bananas! We have no bananas today …..

by Anonymousreply 16September 29, 2024 2:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!