Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What a beautiful day here!

The weather on the Cape is so lovely today. September in the Boston area really has some of the nicest weather we ever see.

Great gardening weather. I’m pulling weeds, moving plants around, and feeding them. I’m determined this year to get the perennial beds cleaned and mulched before winter. I will plant lots of bulbs in late October.

My Sweet Autumn Clematis is blooming and I have astors and cosmos in bloom. The limelight hydrangeas are gradually turning from white to pink.

And I picked apples from my trees this morning and am turning a portion of them into apple butter right now. The house is filled with the fragrance of apples bubbling away slowly and I have all the windows open to air out the house.

I hope everyone out here is also able to enjoy this beautiful early September day.

by Anonymousreply 65September 17, 2023 3:27 PM

[quote]I have astors and cosmos in bloom.

John Jacob and Mary?

by Anonymousreply 1September 2, 2023 5:18 PM

Good one, R1!

by Anonymousreply 2September 2, 2023 5:27 PM

Hi, Greg.

by Anonymousreply 3September 2, 2023 5:28 PM

Hello, R3.

by Anonymousreply 4September 2, 2023 5:29 PM

Lovely day. So far I've rebuilt the engine on my car, built an addition onto my house. Cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner for the entire week. Pruned every tree in a 3 mile radius and just finished learning Chinese. And I've had nothing but time to post on DL too!

by Anonymousreply 5September 2, 2023 5:32 PM

Wow, R5! That’s impressive.

But if you are suggesting that I haven’t done what I reported, you would be mistaken.

by Anonymousreply 6September 2, 2023 5:38 PM

I feel like I'm reading Martha Stewart's calendar.

by Anonymousreply 7September 2, 2023 5:38 PM

Doing some gardening and making apple butter is not really heavy lifting.

I also have done four loads of laundry.

If you know how to manage your time, you can get a lot done and still have pauses where you can post on DL.

by Anonymousreply 8September 2, 2023 5:40 PM

Are you a bottom, Greg?

by Anonymousreply 9September 2, 2023 5:44 PM

Why do you ask, R9?

by Anonymousreply 10September 2, 2023 5:49 PM

I don’t care whether Greg is a bottom or a top or neither, but I hope he does have a good recipe for black bottom pie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 2, 2023 5:53 PM

Thanks, R11!

I’ve never made a black-bottom pie before.

Have you? And if so, is it good?

I love meringue, so will give this a try sometime.

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 12September 2, 2023 5:58 PM

I don’t cook, Greg, but I enjoy your threads and the various reactions to them nonetheless. Many years ago I did try what was called a “French black bottom pie”. It was delicious, and I don’t normally don’t like an overabundance of rich chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 13September 2, 2023 6:00 PM

Very nice — thank you, R13.

The reactions to what I post are often quite something!

Is the French black-bottom pie different from just black-bottom pie?

by Anonymousreply 14September 2, 2023 6:07 PM

Greg, not having had regular black bottom pie, and not being a connoisseur, the only difference I could see was the “French” version had a lot more chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 15September 2, 2023 6:10 PM

Which grades if you don’t mind my asking?

by Anonymousreply 16September 2, 2023 6:11 PM

Wrong thread at R16.

by Anonymousreply 17September 2, 2023 6:11 PM

I was wondering, R15, if the French version had a French meringue and the other version had whipped cream or either Swiss or Italian meringue.

by Anonymousreply 18September 2, 2023 6:18 PM

Haha, Greg. My palette is definitely too broad to have known such differences. I don’t remember whipped cream.

by Anonymousreply 19September 2, 2023 6:22 PM

Okay, R19.

Thank you for sharing that recipe. I will definitely make it.

Hope you’re having a nice day.

by Anonymousreply 20September 2, 2023 6:26 PM

I found this on the interwebz. When I had French black bottom pie it was on a business trip in the U.S. south.

[quote] What is a French black bottom pie? This pie is also super similar to our black bottom pie. Both have the “black bottom” or chocolate crust and both are topped with whipped cream. The French black bottom pie has a chocolate pastry cream layer or pudding. Sometimes instead of whipped cream, a French black bottom pie will have meringue on top.

Given I don’t remember whipped cream, it must have been a meringue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 2, 2023 6:27 PM

^ Yum!

Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 22September 2, 2023 6:31 PM

This black bottom pie thing is all sounding dirty to me.

But I have the humor of an 18 year old about a lot of things.

by Anonymousreply 23September 2, 2023 6:33 PM

[quote]Haha, Greg. My palette is definitely too broad to have known such differences. I don’t remember whipped cream.

Oh, dear. Unless you're a painter.

by Anonymousreply 24September 2, 2023 6:38 PM

Oops. You are correct R24.

by Anonymousreply 25September 2, 2023 6:47 PM

OMG Martha Stewart is a bottom!

by Anonymousreply 26September 2, 2023 7:03 PM

"One of Louisiana’s only"

I know it's not important but it's bugging me. What did I misread?

by Anonymousreply 27September 2, 2023 7:05 PM

[quote] OMG Martha Stewart is a bottom!

I rather doubt that.

by Anonymousreply 28September 2, 2023 7:05 PM

Glad to hear!

Fiance from The Noth Shawr, MA retired here with me in SF a few months ago. It's a rare, rainy day in Septembah on the West Coast. Eying the Meyer Lemons on my tree for a potential custard pie, but not feeling the labor and cleanup and my unpredictable, psycho oven. Watching Anna's Hummingbirds, a California woodpecker, finches(?), scrub jays, and two asshole squirrels all dine on the Coastal Silk Tassel Tree that I planted almost 30 years ago. Native plants support native species. Planning for our marriage in Salem, MA next month, with a honeymoon trip to Acadia. And another tasting menu at Nightshade Noodlehouse in Lynn that might lead to bankruptcy. Looking forward to seeing Fall in New England again. Not sure if we can afford to keep his place in MA and be bicoastal.

Hope you enjoy the Labor Day Weekend. This is truly a beautiful time of year to be alive.

by Anonymousreply 29September 2, 2023 7:06 PM

r27 Wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 30September 2, 2023 7:08 PM

Any tips to getting your cosmos to stay healthy in to September? Ours were glorious in June and July, but have gone sadly downhill since. (Oddly our celosia did especially well this summer)

by Anonymousreply 31September 2, 2023 7:09 PM

I love the Cape. I would live there if I could. When I was growing up we had a summer house in North Eastham. Coast Guard beach is the best beach in the world. I remember at night, even in the middle of August, if you had the windows open you would need a blanket. It was just a perfect way to spend your Summers when you were a kid. All my changes are there. In the lung run the house gets sold and the young grow very, very old.

by Anonymousreply 32September 2, 2023 7:22 PM

Greg, do you spray your apple tree? A neighbor has 2 apple trees and they always produce small fruit and lots of bugs get to them.

by Anonymousreply 33September 2, 2023 8:08 PM

Endlessly dull.

by Anonymousreply 34September 2, 2023 8:15 PM

[quote] Endlessly dull.

If you are talking about yourself, R34, that’s very believable.

Picking on me will get you nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 35September 2, 2023 8:30 PM

[quote] Greg, do you spray your apple tree? A neighbor has 2 apple trees and they always produce small fruit and lots of bugs get to them.

Yes, I do. I’m still learning, however. Pruning is very important. One may even have to prune it heavily and sacrifice a year of fruit production.

I also have an espaliered apple tree, which is very nice.

by Anonymousreply 36September 2, 2023 8:35 PM

[quote] Any tips to getting your cosmos to stay healthy in to September? Ours were glorious in June and July, but have gone sadly downhill since.

Hello, ElderLez.

You might try staggering your seed planting to play with plant heights and bloom times.

I love cosmos.

Do you grow poppies? Oriental poppies are so lovely in the spring.

by Anonymousreply 37September 2, 2023 8:41 PM

Just thinking, R34, if this is so dull, perhaps you could post something of interest, rather than commenting like a child on what doesn’t hold your attention.

It might be asking a lot, but that would be one way an adult would deal with his boredom.

Otherwise, beat it.

by Anonymousreply 38September 2, 2023 8:44 PM

No poppies anymore since they are toxic to dogs.

by Anonymousreply 39September 2, 2023 9:16 PM

[quote] No poppies anymore since they are toxic to dogs.

Ah, makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 40September 2, 2023 9:20 PM

Is Patti Page on your Victrola, gramps?

I bet you're going to use that apple butter for lube at your weekly senior fisting party.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 2, 2023 9:24 PM

[quote] Are you a bottom, Greg?

Ew, like anyone would want to fuck Gerg.

by Anonymousreply 42September 2, 2023 9:27 PM

Windy and rainy for days here in Hawaii. So sick of it.

by Anonymousreply 43September 2, 2023 10:25 PM

[quote] Ew, like anyone would want to fuck Gerg.

I can assure you, R42, that has never been a problem.

You, however …

by Anonymousreply 44September 2, 2023 10:27 PM

Orland Bloom times

by Anonymousreply 45September 3, 2023 12:45 AM

Beautiful Day is over.

by Anonymousreply 46September 3, 2023 6:56 PM

Greg, your place does sound like a little slice of heaven. Your partner is very lucky.

by Anonymousreply 47September 3, 2023 8:02 PM

Boi Butter

by Anonymousreply 48September 3, 2023 8:02 PM

[quote] Greg, your place does sound like a little slice of heaven. Your partner is very lucky.

So am I, R47.

Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 49September 3, 2023 8:05 PM

Another beautiful day for gardening.

I’ve been at it since this morning—transplanting and preparing the garden for winter.

I had two friends come last night for dinner and an overnight and we’ve been hard at work all day.

by Anonymousreply 50September 16, 2023 9:11 PM

Greg if you’re going to make black bottom pie, use The Joy of Cooking recipe. It’s the classic version.

by Anonymousreply 51September 16, 2023 9:20 PM

Greg really lives in Scranton, Pennsylvania.

He's posting from his studio apartment overlooking a long ago closed and rusting steel mill.

by Anonymousreply 52September 16, 2023 9:22 PM

Thank you, R51, I will definitely give that a try.

by Anonymousreply 53September 16, 2023 10:43 PM

[quote] Greg really lives in Scranton, Pennsylvania. He's posting from his studio apartment overlooking a long ago closed and rusting steel mill.

Whatever makes you feel better, R52.

by Anonymousreply 54September 16, 2023 10:44 PM

Eat me. This Gregg from the back bay takes over every thread.

He makes me miss my apt from 2007-2010!!!!

Right on Beacon at the Storrow Dr exit! I should have stayed!

163 Beacon, baby!

by Anonymousreply 55September 16, 2023 10:58 PM

Billyburg, which copyright date?

by Anonymousreply 56September 16, 2023 11:13 PM

163 Beacon!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 16, 2023 11:28 PM

It was a lovely day. I spent the morning shoveling all the shit from the Summer out of my outhouse. Makes great fertilizer for my garden. The fresh herbs love it. Now I'll be set until Spring.

by Anonymousreply 58September 17, 2023 2:01 AM

That sounds productive, R58!

by Anonymousreply 59September 17, 2023 2:33 AM

Greg- I had such great neighbors. They literally tracked a guy from Manalapan who robbed me while I was at work.

I am not joking- street to street- they followed the guy and he was arrested-

My neighbors looked like a more handsome Adam Levine and the lady looked like a prettier Margot Robbie. just a gorgeous couple and so, so lovely- They were so classy and kind. Maybe 28-32 or so-

These two even went to the pre trial or whatever its called? Grand jury-

A stunning and lovely couple- I think about them sometimes and hope that they got married and were happy forever. They would be my age or slightly younger now - probably 40-45? Maybe they still live there.... just a dream at this point.

I like Gregg, but he reminds me of a time in my life where i was FREE and took some serious chances. i miss it.

by Anonymousreply 60September 17, 2023 2:52 AM

Upper Cape, Lower Cape? Provincetown, Sandwich? Where is this all happening?

by Anonymousreply 61September 17, 2023 2:58 AM

R61? My 10+ year old robbery- 163 Beacon, baby!!!!!

Its where all the shit gets REAL in the back bay!

by Anonymousreply 62September 17, 2023 3:47 AM

I don't care about your decade-old robbery, R62; I want to know where on Cape Cod OP was enjoying the beautiful day.

by Anonymousreply 63September 17, 2023 1:42 PM

Lower Cape, R61.

by Anonymousreply 64September 17, 2023 1:56 PM

I'm guessing Chatham.

by Anonymousreply 65September 17, 2023 3:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!