Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Troy Donahue was supposed to play Bud in "Splendor in the Grass"

According to Ben Mankiewicz on TCM just now.

I think he would have been great.

Such a handsome man, who led an interesting life.

I had no idea he was such a hard core addict:

[quote] I was loaded all the time... I'd wake up about 6:30 in the morning, take three aspirins mixed with codeine, slug down half a pint of vodka and then do four lines of cocaine. That was just so I could get the front door open to peek out and see if I could face the day... I would lie, steal and cheat, all those wonderful things that drunks do. I was crafty. Nobody knew how much I drank then. If a bottle was out on the counter, I'd take a swig when I passed it and quickly put it back.

Damn!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 2, 2023 11:32 PM

Just look at that gorgeousness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 2, 2023 4:09 AM

What a face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 2, 2023 4:15 AM

Were there any gay or bi rumors about Troy Donahue?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 2, 2023 4:15 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 2, 2023 4:16 AM

As for you Troy Donahue I know what you wanna do (lots of cocaine)

by Anonymousreply 5September 2, 2023 4:31 AM

Makes sense he was a drunk; he's always reminded me of Jeffrey Dahmer.

by Anonymousreply 6September 2, 2023 4:35 AM

He couldn't act, Beatty was a much better choice

by Anonymousreply 7September 2, 2023 4:36 AM

He didn’t have the talent to play “Bud” in “Splendor in the Grass.” Warren Beatty was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 8September 2, 2023 4:38 AM

Gary talked him out of it.

by Anonymousreply 9September 2, 2023 4:41 AM

Shower scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 2, 2023 4:43 AM

He said people thought he was gay because they got him mixed up with Tab Hunter. So I assume he wasn't. He had an illegitimate son that he met up with and got to know years later, not that that proves anything - just interesting.

"Donahue had a son, Sean, by a woman with whom he had a brief relationship in 1969. He only found out about the son in the early 1980s when he encountered the woman again. As he recalled in 1984: She walked over and introduced herself and I remembered that we had been together four or five times in L.A. in 1969."

At least he wasn't like Tom Jones who refused to admit his son was really his till the court demanded a DNA test or something like that.... Huge cock but bigger Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 11September 2, 2023 4:43 AM

Gary Lockwood was the hottest guy in the cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 2, 2023 4:44 AM

Shitty actor. Gay from space.

by Anonymousreply 13September 2, 2023 4:44 AM

The shower scene was everything!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 2, 2023 4:45 AM

I've never seen him act in anything, but was he really a bad actor?

No wonder his career tanked.

by Anonymousreply 15September 2, 2023 4:46 AM

As R4's pic attests, he lost his remarkable looks fairly early. No doubt the drugs and booze made matters so much worse.

I happened to catch a LOVE BOAT episode from the 80s where he appears as a guest. He was unrecognizable: a bloated, puffy face and a truly terrible hairpiece. One would never believe this man (then in his late 40s) had ever been a movie star, let alone a devastatingly handsome matinee idol. At least he'd managed to get sober by that point. According to IMDB:

[quote]During the early 1980s, his personal and professional fortunes had sunk so low that he was literally homeless; sleeping on a bench in New York's Central Park.

by Anonymousreply 16September 2, 2023 4:52 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 2, 2023 4:56 AM

It sounds like Troy came from a very good and stable family.

How did he become such a hard core addict?

by Anonymousreply 18September 2, 2023 4:59 AM

He had a small part in Douglas Sirk's classic Imitation of Life (1959) playing against type

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 2, 2023 5:04 AM

Warren was so much hotter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 2, 2023 10:13 AM

Today is the 22nd anniversary of Troy's death. He died nine days before the WTC towers fell.

by Anonymousreply 21September 2, 2023 11:36 AM

I've always hated his soft features and lack of jawline, the type that virtually never ages well.

Plus, as several posters said, he was a TERRIBLE actor. His role as Connie's second husband/bf, the dissolute "Merle" in [italic]The Godfather: Part 2[/italic] was perfect casting.

by Anonymousreply 22September 2, 2023 12:12 PM

Why does Warren Beatty look nothing like Shirley MacLaine? They share one parent.

by Anonymousreply 23September 2, 2023 8:20 PM

Well they were both extremely sexy in their prime, R23 -- Something Randy Quaid is still pissed off about.

by Anonymousreply 24September 2, 2023 8:30 PM

R23, pretty sure they share both parents. Shirley is three years older than her brother, but seems a generation ahead Hollywood-wise, she was playing middle-age by the early '70s

by Anonymousreply 25September 2, 2023 9:32 PM

R23, which parent do they share? I thought they were full sibs.

by Anonymousreply 26September 2, 2023 10:32 PM

Not a Beatty fan but Team Warren on this topic.

by Anonymousreply 27September 2, 2023 11:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!