Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Emma Stone will probably win her second Best Actress Oscar for Poor Things

…one of the most charming, shamelessly sexual characters committed to screen — and Emma Stone’s best role yet, one that seems primed to earn her another Oscar nomination.

Stone plays Bella through every stage of her mental development — from joyful innocent to wizened grown woman, a transition that happens with exponential pace, perfectly timed arch comedy and pathos, and the same sort of relish that Bella herself reserves for sex, Champagne, and cutting open dead bodies. Her performance, somewhere on the spectrum of Nell and Splash and The Little Mermaid and My Fair Lady and Margot Robbie in Barbie, is intensely physical in every sense: we first meet her, surrounded by heaps of The Ring hair, as she staggers into the frame in a giant nightgown, plonking on the piano, hurtling plates onto the floor, pissing herself in the middle of the hallway, speaking in rapidly expanding bursts and, for a long time, almost exclusively in the third person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127March 14, 2024 8:54 PM

Is it a remake of Beyond the Forest?

by Anonymousreply 1September 1, 2023 5:54 PM

Is she a cunt to people? I hear different things.

by Anonymousreply 2September 1, 2023 5:58 PM

How she achieved any level of success is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 3September 1, 2023 6:00 PM

She can act.

by Anonymousreply 4September 1, 2023 6:00 PM

Oh fuck Hanna Schygulla is in this!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 1, 2023 6:03 PM

Frankensteinish.

by Anonymousreply 6September 1, 2023 6:20 PM

Mark Ruffalo's dick would transform me, too.

by Anonymousreply 7September 1, 2023 6:25 PM

That hair colour looks fucking terrible on her. Will check out the movie, though.

by Anonymousreply 8September 1, 2023 6:34 PM

Shamelessly sexual? This actress has no sex appeal whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 9September 1, 2023 6:43 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 1, 2023 6:44 PM

[quote]That hair colour looks fucking terrible on her.

Are we sure it isn't an homage?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 1, 2023 6:44 PM

I think the Academy would have been loathe that to have to give Margot Robbie an Oscar for Barbie in what is shaping up to be a very weak year for Actress, and will coalesce around Stone.

Stone, Murphy, and Downey Jr.

Supporting Actress then would favor Lily Gladstone in Killers of the Flower Moon

by Anonymousreply 12September 1, 2023 6:49 PM

If she shows her muff will she have dyed that black too?

by Anonymousreply 13September 1, 2023 6:56 PM

That FUCKING CUNT!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 14September 1, 2023 6:59 PM

R2 I've heard she was lovely, actually

by Anonymousreply 15September 1, 2023 7:00 PM

I hated The Lobster. As much as I love Colin Farrell.

by Anonymousreply 16September 1, 2023 7:01 PM

Interestingly, if Lily Gladstone won, she would not be the first Native American Oscar winner

That would be Buffy Ste Marie who cowrote the song “Up Where We Belong” from Officer and a Gentleman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 1, 2023 7:13 PM

I've never heard anything bad about her and would have been happy if she'd won supporting for "The Favourite" (instead of La La Land)

by Anonymousreply 18September 1, 2023 7:33 PM

R12, There's also Oscar buzz around Jodie Comer for "The Bikeriders," just shown at Telluride and in theaters December first.

by Anonymousreply 19September 1, 2023 7:41 PM

This doesn't sound like a performance that wins Best Actress. This sounds like one that wins a ton of critical prizes, earns Stone a nomination, then loses to something more accessible in the end.

I just can't see a performance that can be called "shamelessly sexual" winning given current Academy tastes.

by Anonymousreply 20September 1, 2023 7:46 PM

Lanthinos is a flavor best had when you have Covid and can't taste it.

by Anonymousreply 21September 1, 2023 7:51 PM

No way in hell should Margot Robbie win for Barbie, that’s crazy talk.

🫤😵‍💫

by Anonymousreply 22September 1, 2023 7:52 PM

Amateur.

by Anonymousreply 23September 1, 2023 7:53 PM

Robbie might get nominated as a thank you for the box office but that should be it.

I’ve always liked Emma as an actress.

The Help and Cruella were amazing.

by Anonymousreply 24September 1, 2023 7:58 PM

[quote]This doesn't sound like a performance that wins Best Actress. This sounds like one that wins a ton of critical prizes, earns Stone a nomination, then loses to something more accessible in the end.

I thought the same thing about Lanthimos' last film, [bold]The Favourite[/bold], and we know how that turned out.

by Anonymousreply 25September 1, 2023 8:01 PM

R2, I used to work with a woman who went to high school with Emma Stone. I think Arizona? She said Emma was an absolute delight. And remained that way after fame.

by Anonymousreply 26September 1, 2023 8:04 PM

Depends on how the strike goes. If it lasts too long and actors can't promote their films, some contenders will not be released this year. That being said, I think the Award will go to Fantasia for The Color Purple.

by Anonymousreply 27September 1, 2023 8:04 PM

Emma Stone may not be sexy but I love watching her on the screen. When she's on, I can't look at anyone else, the mark of a true star.

by Anonymousreply 28September 1, 2023 8:07 PM

Are William Morris staffers really bored and posting here?

by Anonymousreply 29September 1, 2023 8:08 PM

ROFL Whoopi Goldberg couldn’t win an Oscar for the original Color Purple and you think Fantasia would win for the remake

by Anonymousreply 30September 1, 2023 8:10 PM

I like the weirdo director’s movies and can’t wait for this one. Will forever love Emma for this SNL piece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 1, 2023 8:11 PM

[quote]Emma Stone will probably win her second Best Actress Oscar.

There is no God.

by Anonymousreply 32September 1, 2023 8:12 PM

Saw BIKERIDERS yesterday at Telluride and Jodie Comer steals every scene she is in…actually liked both Tom Hardy and Austin Butler….also saw SALTBURN which makes Cruel Intentions & The Talented Mr Ripley look like tame little films….Rosamund Pike had some delicious dialogue & Carey Mulligan is great in her limited role. Tellruide is actually quite great this year even in the middle of the strikes….also got to chat with Ethan Hawke briefly on the concessions line and he was just the friendly guy I thought he would be and still looks good even with his greying hair and wrinkles..

by Anonymousreply 33September 1, 2023 8:13 PM

I liked The Favourite so hopefully this will be good

by Anonymousreply 34September 1, 2023 8:15 PM

“Mark Ruffalo’s dick turns Bella’s previously black-and-white world to screaming Technicolor”

Yes, please.

by Anonymousreply 35September 1, 2023 8:16 PM

R33 I detest every single one of the actresses you mentioned in that post. Jodie Comer is hard to look at she’s so ugly, Rosamunde is supposed to be a total cunt, and Carey looks like a mentally retarded boy.

by Anonymousreply 36September 1, 2023 8:18 PM

R30, it's not a remake, it's a musical adaptation and Fantasia got among the best reviews I've ever seen for her Broadway performance.

by Anonymousreply 37September 1, 2023 8:21 PM

Why did they use Pioneer Woman font for the film title?

by Anonymousreply 38September 1, 2023 8:24 PM

Mark Ruffalo hasn't been hot in years

by Anonymousreply 39September 1, 2023 8:28 PM

They should have gotten a big stud like Jacob Elordi for that role

by Anonymousreply 40September 1, 2023 8:50 PM

R39 More for me. He’s my perfect dude.

by Anonymousreply 41September 1, 2023 8:50 PM

One of the longest ovations at Venice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 1, 2023 9:49 PM

“Some Venice viewers have crowed that Stone’s go-for-broke character arc all but guarantees her a second Oscar, though I’d apply a lot of caveats to that prediction: This is a wild, eccentric movie full of explicit sex and violence, and older academy voters might bounce off “Poor Things” during the first 20 minutes.”

It’s possible this may only be competitive in actress. Which ironically would duplicate the award tally for The Favourite (10 nominations, only winning Lead Actress.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 1, 2023 9:57 PM

I can see Emma and Margot nominated but not winning.

Jessica Lange is probably out because her filmed play didn’t make it into any film festivals.

That leaves Fantasia, Gladstone and Bening.

by Anonymousreply 44September 1, 2023 10:12 PM

Gladstone is going in Supporting

by Anonymousreply 45September 1, 2023 10:16 PM

Then maybe Carey Mulligan gets in for Maestro. That screens tomorrow in Venice.

by Anonymousreply 46September 1, 2023 10:18 PM

Happy for Emma Stone. At least she is pushing herself as an actress.

by Anonymousreply 47September 1, 2023 11:59 PM

Cannes buzz is not usually the best predictor for who will win the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 48September 2, 2023 12:12 AM

We’re in Venice, dear.

by Anonymousreply 49September 2, 2023 12:16 AM

"Poor Things"? They finally made Glenn's biopic? Bless her heart!

by Anonymousreply 50September 2, 2023 12:18 AM

R38, do you mean that horrible Rae Dunn font? I wondered the same, she’ll probably sue for copywrite infringement.

by Anonymousreply 51September 2, 2023 2:05 AM

Is Jessica okay? The Lange Loon made all kinds of promises about her big return to the limelight.

by Anonymousreply 52September 2, 2023 2:12 AM

Jennifer Lawrence is gnashing her teeth in envy.

by Anonymousreply 53September 2, 2023 2:48 AM

R53 JLaw might have been up for doing an explicit film like this, she even got her fanny and tits out in that bawdy comedy that did little business earlier this year..

by Anonymousreply 54September 2, 2023 3:34 PM

I hate this boring cunt

by Anonymousreply 55September 2, 2023 4:08 PM

R55 I am sure she would do anything for another Oscar, but Jennifer Lawrence’s lazy ass stopped filming Causeway for a full year to plan her wedding. Which auteur would put up with that shit?

by Anonymousreply 56September 2, 2023 4:38 PM

Actresses have to whore themselves literally and figuratively to get that Oscar, actors just have to play a drunk.

Halle Berry, former beauty queen, had to get on all fours and be dry humped by a man who gives you the dry heaves in his skeeviness to get the Oscar.

Jennifer no one more beautiful Connelly, had to do the same to be taken seriously as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 57September 2, 2023 5:00 PM

This sounds insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 58September 2, 2023 5:02 PM

R53: Margot is now queen at the box office, Emma will get another Oscar nomination, and she played a whore (not much of an acting stretch) in a film that is already forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 59September 2, 2023 6:05 PM

R58 So do you.

by Anonymousreply 60September 2, 2023 6:48 PM

I wonder if JLaw was shocked she didn't get any Oscar attention for Don't Look Up or Causeway

by Anonymousreply 61September 2, 2023 6:50 PM

R57 Billy Bob was hot.

by Anonymousreply 62September 2, 2023 6:52 PM

Based on glowing notices today for her performance, Carey Mulligan is in for Maestro.

by Anonymousreply 63September 2, 2023 6:59 PM

Didn't Halle charge an extra million to show her tits in Swordfish, then got them out for free in Moster's Ball?

by Anonymousreply 64September 2, 2023 7:06 PM

Titty bump. But Monster's Ball got her that Oscar. On all fours. Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 65September 2, 2023 7:14 PM

Carey Mulligan is the new Annette Bening.

Oddly she will probably also compete against Annette who is getting very good notices for Nyad.

by Anonymousreply 66September 2, 2023 7:15 PM

If The Grifters had come out one year earlier or one year later, Annette would have won the Oscar. The winners those years were Brenda Fricker and Mercedes Ruehl.

The winner in Annette’s year was Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost who nobody was going to beat.

by Anonymousreply 67September 2, 2023 7:19 PM

If Whoopi won for The Color Purple then Nettie would have won there.

Or if she had gone supporting for American Beauty (she was in 25% of the movie) she would have won.

by Anonymousreply 68September 2, 2023 7:22 PM

R55 I totally agree with you. She's not a Star. They keep trying to make Emma the second coming of Julia Roberts but she just doesn't have the "it factor" that Julia has. Even when she's the lead in a silly little film like "Easy A" her costars outshine her. She's kinda just there blending in the furniture. She's as bland as Wonder Bread.

by Anonymousreply 69September 2, 2023 11:12 PM

R69, that's completely ridiculous She was brilliant in Easy A.

by Anonymousreply 70September 2, 2023 11:17 PM

Annette and Jodie also got good notices today for Nyda. Maybe actresses are back.

by Anonymousreply 71September 2, 2023 11:39 PM

R70 No she wasn't. Amanda Bynes and Stanley Tucci completely ate her up in all her scenes with them. On other words they outshined her in her own film. She wasn't as funny as they were, she was sufficient at best but when you're the lead girl we're not supposed to be ambivalent about you.

by Anonymousreply 72September 3, 2023 1:48 AM

R72, that is just absurd. Emma Stone was Easy A. She was in almost every frame and Byrnes and Tucci got whatever shine they had from her. You had to have central focus and you also had to be slightly Lucy Ricardo esque. She was lovable and relatable. It was as much a career making performance for her as Pretty Woman for Roberts or While You Were sleeping for Roberts. But nice to see someone who is totally willing to have an opinion that is absolutely contrary to almost everyone who saw the movie.

by Anonymousreply 73September 3, 2023 3:16 AM

Even Emma Stone has said she wasn’t that good in Easy A. She said she was too self-conscious that the film had to succeed on her shoulders.

by Anonymousreply 74September 3, 2023 3:35 AM

R73 Are you seriously comparing Pretty Woman to Easy A? That's what's absurd. I want some of what you're smoking. It was a silly little film that was too snarky and self aware, I hate teen movies where the dialog is unrealistic. Teens just dont talk like that. Bynes and Tucci were absolutely the two best things about this Metta borefest, its hilarious you think Emma gave them shine. They were the veterans Emma was ingenue. It wanted to be like MEAN GIRLS but was too on the nose. Emma is derivative of Lindsay Lohan anyway, and if Lohan wasn't such a mess she would have Emma Stones career and Oscar. Even still she has mountains more charisma than Stone who's just too awkward to be a real star. Comparing her to Julia Roberts is insane. You sound like a pathetic fangirl.

by Anonymousreply 75September 3, 2023 4:39 AM

Julia couldn't even get her tits out in Pretty Woman

by Anonymousreply 76September 3, 2023 9:53 AM

She didn't need her tits. She had her wits.

by Anonymousreply 77September 3, 2023 11:01 AM

My favorite Emma Stone movie is The House Bunny.

by Anonymousreply 78September 3, 2023 11:34 AM

[quote]Jodie Comer is hard to look at she’s so ugly

Yes, she's just hideous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 3, 2023 11:55 AM

Even though the role is very in your face it would not surprise me if the Academy gives ES a second Oscar on the basis of her first win for being charming in a poorly written role, while this role is ACTING.

There is precedent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80September 3, 2023 12:56 PM

And the one she deserved it for

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 3, 2023 12:58 PM

Oh. Wow. Cool.

by Anonymousreply 82September 3, 2023 1:07 PM

R75=Lindsay Lohan, wiping her mouth out from the cum shots on the yacht.

by Anonymousreply 83September 3, 2023 4:34 PM

Patricia Clarkson on Emma Stone in Easy A? "Stunning".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 3, 2023 4:42 PM

R83=Pathetic fangirl wiping the juices from Emma's cunt from her mouth with one hand and typing these pathetic diatribes with the other. R84 give it up fangirl. I sure hope Emma is paying your salary for doing all this. Otherwise it's a more pathetic waste of space in this thread

by Anonymousreply 85September 3, 2023 6:41 PM

I think this looks good, not just because of Stone but also because of the reliably weird Dafoe.

by Anonymousreply 86September 3, 2023 7:55 PM

Poor R85 can't even come up with your own insults. It must kill you knowing that Emma Stone might get her second Oscar. Oh, and Patricia gave several valid reasons why she felt her performance in Easy A was stunning. The best you can come up with is that her supporting performers outshone her, completely stupid and also totally inarticulate.

by Anonymousreply 87September 5, 2023 7:31 PM

I was surprised she got her hooters out in The Favourite and simulated the eating of a pussy.

by Anonymousreply 88September 5, 2023 7:47 PM

It’s either that or the holocaust to be taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 89September 5, 2023 8:32 PM

Poor Things won the Golden Lion, but Emma did not win Best Actress - although I can’t remember if it’s Cannes or this where they have to choose a winner from a different film

The Priscilla actress Colleen Spaevy won Best Actress, which is a likely guarantee of an Oscar nom for her.

Stone would still be the Actress frontrunner imo because the Academy will want to give an above the line prize to Poor Things and Picture, Director and Adapted Screenplay are Oppenheimer’s to lose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 9, 2023 7:56 PM

[quote]I can’t remember if it’s Cannes or this where they have to choose a winner from a different film

That's how it works in Venice R90.

The winner of the Golden Lion cannot win any other category. (Which is a weird rule, but whatever...)

by Anonymousreply 91September 9, 2023 8:48 PM

I like that rule, makes perfect sense to me. If a film wins the festival's highest award, it's in essence getting rewarded for all aspects of the movie already. Also helps prevent cleanups across the board and spreads the love around.

by Anonymousreply 92September 9, 2023 8:56 PM

She’s fucking creepy looking. Who is she related to?

by Anonymousreply 93September 9, 2023 9:50 PM

R92 I guess you're right but the prize won't be credited in any part to the actors (officially).

Reminds me of how the Grammys flip-flop on crediting the principal vocalists as winners for the Best Musical Theatre Album (whatever the category is called!). Sometimes it's just the Producers who win which seems unfair to the likes of Angela Lansbury who would have been a double winner if the rules were different when her theatre albums won.

Btw I know Grammys are a shower of shite!

Anyone know if Winslet's Lee is appearing at a festival? Be interested to see if she finally gets another Oscar nod for it too.

by Anonymousreply 94September 10, 2023 9:01 AM

Saw this tonight. Never read the book and knew very little going in, but I loved every second of it. I think it's better than "The Favourite", which I also thought was excellent. "Poor Things" is a lot funnier—perverse and much more charming. The only thing flaw I noticed was Jerrod Carmichael's performance. He was out of his league here and sucked the energy out of the handful of scenes he was in. He is either a terrible actor or was just badly miscast. Otherwise, no complaints. This is probably my favorite movie of 2023.

by Anonymousreply 95December 22, 2023 8:18 AM

Also, it gets major bonus points for displaying Mark Ruffalo's beefy, hairy, middle-aged body—no dick shots, but you see everything else. Based on the chest hair, I always assumed he was groomed for some of the other nude scenes he's, like when he showed his ass in "The Kids Are Alright"—it looked like a baby's bottom in that movie if I remember correctly. Not here. That motherfucker is HAIRY. He has a trail of it running up his lower back.

by Anonymousreply 96December 22, 2023 8:24 AM

[quote]The only thing flaw I noticed was Jerrod Carmichael's performance. He was out of his league here and sucked the energy out of the handful of scenes he was in.

I agree — he was really wooden, his casting a major misstep.

I enjoyed the movie overall. The art direction was lovely, if somewhat too obviously CGI. But the whole thing was 20 minutes too long and could have easily been shortened by cutting some of the 100 scenes of Emma Stone getting fucked by gnarly men.

Ruffalo looked hot—just as hot as he did 20 years ago—but someone should have encouraged him to shave his lower back. However, without his comic brio the whole thing would have gone flat.

In terms of Best Actress, I don't think the Academy is going to award a portrayal of a "pretty retard" (quote from the film) who is raised from relative infancy to discover her power only after prostituting herself to tons of guys.

But maybe that's just me.

by Anonymousreply 97December 22, 2023 8:31 AM

Apparently, Ruth Gordon came back from the dead to reprise her Oscar-winning role as Minnie Castevet, R90.

That said, ths film is obviously heightened in nearly every way possible, but her part still appears to be obnoxiously overplayed. And I don't even mind Emma Stone.

by Anonymousreply 98December 22, 2023 8:35 AM

R97 I’m glad Mark didn't shave his ass/lower back hair. I’ve always wanted to see him in his full-on hairy glory. WOOF.

by Anonymousreply 99December 22, 2023 9:18 AM

There is no way Cailee Spaeny deserves an Oscar nomination for her wooden, affectless, boring performance.

And r97 is correct about Emma Stone's chances.

I'm telling youse guys, the winner will be Lily Gladstone.

by Anonymousreply 100December 24, 2023 6:10 PM

With Lily's BAFTA snub and divisive reactions to "Poor Things" (it really is an admirable hot mess of a movie and Emma is one-note and kinda annoying at parts), I'm predicting an upset win. The nominees will be Gladstone, Stone, Robbie, Huller, and (Bening or Mulligan).*If* Bening get nominated, I think she could pull an upset victory over the young ones in this category. Huller *should* win, but I think the enthusiasm for Stone and Gladstone is subsiding. This could be the last chance for Bening unless she remakes "Driving Miss Daisy"!

by Anonymousreply 101January 21, 2024 2:41 AM

Gladstone has a few things going for her:

The movie is probably going to get a boatload of nominations. This is a place to give it a big award. Probably will be second place for Best Picture after Oppenheimer.

First Native American winner in a movie that tells the true story of that experience.

Stone had a Best Actress Oscar and is clearly going to be nominated many more times.

Gladstone has won a lot of major critical awards so this isn't out of left field. She's also not going to have the opportunities for lead roles that even a Sandra Huller will have.

by Anonymousreply 102January 21, 2024 3:21 AM

I think Gladstone because the Academy wants the moment of a Native-American winner. Nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 103January 21, 2024 4:55 AM

R103 exactly. Same reason Ariana DeBose won last year for a pretty unremarkable performance (especially compared to those of her competition). The Academy was trying to do damage control after the #Oscarssowhite fiasco by getting a "historical win" for the first "queer" POC woman. It was all performative nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 104January 21, 2024 5:08 AM

Ramy Youssef is so fuckable in this, my mouth was watering the entire time. I had no idea he was an actual actor.

by Anonymousreply 105January 21, 2024 9:26 AM

Ramy was adorable and cuddly. The actor who played the abusive husband was sexy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 106January 21, 2024 12:50 PM

That was two years ago, R104.

by Anonymousreply 107January 21, 2024 1:37 PM

If you've seen Poor Things, is Emma Stone really that good in it?

by Anonymousreply 108January 21, 2024 2:15 PM

R108, in a word: yes. It’s a very fearless performance and she is asked to do a lot of crazy shit. But you never lose the essence of her humanity and her vocal, physical, and spiritual transformation throughout the film feels seamless and earned. I loved her performance. Also, the opening image of her in the film (which is returned to) is so striking and hauntingly beautiful, I can’t get it out of my head. She would be a worthy winner.

I hated La La Land and I hated her win that year (and all the ruckus her envelope caused later on in the ceremony!) I wouldn’t point at Emma Stone as someone who needs to have two Oscars. However, a win here would be fully justified.

I also really hope that Willem Dafoe pulls some kind of Alan Arkin magic and ends up winning in support. I loved his performance too.

by Anonymousreply 109January 21, 2024 2:25 PM

Mark Ruffalo was also excellent. He was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 110January 21, 2024 2:55 PM

Ruffalo is a boring actor and Emma Stone, who I love, doesn't give an extraordinary performance in Poor Things. Looking weird and lost is not a great stretch for any actor.

by Anonymousreply 111January 21, 2024 3:51 PM

R111 is Lily Gladstone.

by Anonymousreply 112January 21, 2024 7:40 PM

Lily Gladstone 's performance is one note.

by Anonymousreply 113January 21, 2024 7:42 PM

I actually didn't think this was one of Mark Ruffalo's better performances to be honest, though I did appreciate how much of his hairy body he showed off in it. I thought Emma Stone was brilliant and hilarious—she's a natural when it comes to comedy. I think it's easily one of her best performances, along with "The Favourite", which I think was Oscar-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 114January 21, 2024 9:15 PM

Stone's first Oscar may go against her chances of winning. I think Carey Mulligan gave the best, subtlest performance this year, but I have no hope that she will win because her movie is being obscured by all the nose insanity the mongoloids are throwing about. Lily Gladstone, who's very good in her part, has a better chance not because she's the best but, let's face it, because she's a POC.

by Anonymousreply 115January 21, 2024 9:32 PM

R115, To repeat myself:

The Oscars have always been about more than acting.

by Anonymousreply 116January 21, 2024 11:35 PM

I was surprised by how much nudity she had in it, she is pretty flat chested

by Anonymousreply 117March 14, 2024 2:25 AM

Well well well

by Anonymousreply 118March 14, 2024 2:56 AM

[quote]Shamelessly sexual? This actress has no sex appeal whatsoever.

That's why it's called 'acting' and is awarded with an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 119March 14, 2024 6:43 AM

I think Emma was a bit afraid of people being angry with her taking an Oscar from a minority (Gladstone) so I think her acting silly about the dress was a way to get people to think "oh she's just a nice normal gal, look she has problems too so we can't get mad at her". I know that sounds ridiculous and nobody would want to admit that, but you could see when she won she was a bit scared of backlash.

by Anonymousreply 120March 14, 2024 12:19 PM

R120: I don't think she's that stupid. She knew the optics were not good: a minority losing to somebody who has already been rewarded - white girl mediocrity. I agree she wanted to come across as humble and relatable with the dress bit.

by Anonymousreply 121March 14, 2024 2:31 PM

Just looked at the date of the OP and yeah, good job OP! You totally called it when most people had no idea. 😗

by Anonymousreply 122March 14, 2024 2:33 PM

The dress didn’t even look that broken to me.

by Anonymousreply 123March 14, 2024 2:35 PM

The zipper broke. That’s what I saw.

by Anonymousreply 124March 14, 2024 7:56 PM

My newly rejoined the Catholic faith female friend saw it and was horrified and said it was pornographic. She got back into church and is SO catholic now and cries if she can't got to church every Sunday because she was told it was was a sin and she'd go to hell.

Is it as full of sex as she says?

by Anonymousreply 125March 14, 2024 8:06 PM

There is a fair amount of "furious jumping" (as Bella terms it) and quite a bit of nudity (including rear male & full frontal female). Certainly more than is typically seen in movies nowadays, but hardly "pornographic".

I recommend your friend stay far away from [bold]Saltburn[/bold] and probably even [bold]Oppenheimer[/bold].

by Anonymousreply 126March 14, 2024 8:41 PM

The way she going on about it it sounded like Salo.

by Anonymousreply 127March 14, 2024 8:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!