Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bergman & Boyer brilliant together in 1944's "Gaslight," with newcomer Angela Lansbury!

Remembering Ingrid Bergman, who was born on this day & also died on this day 67 years later on Aug. 29, 1982, of breast cancer. Also, Charles Boyer was born Aug. 28, 1899 & died Aug. 26, 1978 by suicide, after his wife's death from cancer. At the peak of their film careers, Bergman & Boyer were magnificent in the classic suspense drama, 1944's "Gaslight." Newcomer Angela Lansbury turned 18 during filming. Joseph Cotten offers warm support, investigating this dysfunctional household. Directed by George Cukor. Here's my look at "Gaslight," which still gives goose pimples!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 16, 2023 2:13 PM

You're becoming forgetful, aren't you Paula?

by Anonymousreply 1August 29, 2023 11:08 PM

Boyer, with those huge dark eyes and deep voice, wow...

by Anonymousreply 2August 29, 2023 11:20 PM

You really need to give top billing to Cukor, Rick.

by Anonymousreply 3August 29, 2023 11:23 PM

Cukor did a great job with the suspense, more than a few folks have mistaken Gaslight for a Hitchcock film over the years.

by Anonymousreply 4August 29, 2023 11:45 PM

Boyer was notoriously short so had to stand on an apple box for love scenes with tall ladies like Ingrid.

by Anonymousreply 5August 30, 2023 1:53 AM

I was curious about the film after hearing the expression gaslight used so often. Didn't disappoint. Even has a happy ending

by Anonymousreply 6August 30, 2023 2:03 AM

Boyer's last movie co-starred Bergman: "A Matter of Time" (1976). They also did "Arch of Triumph" together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 30, 2023 2:27 AM

Did “Little Yellow Bird” chart for Miss Lansbury in 1944?

by Anonymousreply 8August 30, 2023 2:33 AM

I liked Boyer in "All This And Heaven, Too." With Bette Davis...

by Anonymousreply 9August 30, 2023 2:45 AM

Only wusses like this version. The original one, with Diana Wynyard and Adolf Wohlbrück, is the real deal. Better paced and much more disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 10August 30, 2023 2:54 AM

Patrick Hamilton, who wrote the play that Gaslight was based on (called Angel Street on the stage) was also a brilliant novelist.

His Slaves of Solitude, Hangover Square and Twenty Thousand Streets Under the Sky are among my favorite books. Oh, and he also wrote the play Rope, which Hitchcock made into a great film.

by Anonymousreply 11August 30, 2023 3:02 AM

Good ol' Diana Wynyard...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 30, 2023 3:07 AM

There is a great episode of What's My Line? on YouTube where Angela Lansbury is the mystery guest -having just opened in Mame. Berman's daughter Pia Lindstrom was on the panel, and Lansbury reminded her that they had met on the set of Gaslight when Pia was still a toddler. It was a very personal anecdote, and showed that Lansbury liked and supported Bergman (this being a time when she was non-grata in the US because of her affair).

As for Gaslight -I'm a big fan of this film version. Lansbury holds her own against Boyer and Bergman -no small feat for anyone, let alone a novice!

by Anonymousreply 13August 30, 2023 3:13 AM

Lovely anecdote r13, and very sweet of Angela, but by 1966 Ingrid Bergman had long been welcome back in the US. I believe she was forgiven around 1956 when she was given her second Oscar for Anastasia.

by Anonymousreply 14August 30, 2023 3:23 AM

She had old lady face even then

by Anonymousreply 15August 30, 2023 3:32 AM

Poor Charles Boyer never recovered from the suicide of his only child, Michael.

by Anonymousreply 16August 30, 2023 3:34 AM

Thanks for the thread, OP.

I was just watching this today as it appeared on the Movies!TV channel.

Not dated at all. Bergman and Boyer are splendid. And Cotton and Landsbury.

And you should have mentioned Dame May Whitty as the nosy neighbor Miss Thwaites who has the last line of the film with delightfully shocked "Well!.

She was the lady in question in Hitchcock's "The Lady Vanishes" which the same channel ran recently with their set of Hitchcock films.

by Anonymousreply 17August 30, 2023 3:40 AM

[quote]She was the lady in question in Hitchcock's "The Lady Vanishes" which the same channel ran recently with their set of Hitchcock films.

Which is the role Angie played in the tepid remake.

by Anonymousreply 18August 30, 2023 3:51 AM

What's My Line

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 30, 2023 5:05 AM

Pia doesn't look too impressed with the memory. Her mother would have been more graceful.

by Anonymousreply 20August 30, 2023 5:08 AM

I watched the original version, thought Anton as the villain was great, Diana did nothing but widen her eyes periodically. The production itself was flat and abbreviated. I'll stick with this '44 version!

by Anonymousreply 21August 30, 2023 10:52 AM

Gaslight is playing on Prime.

by Anonymousreply 22August 30, 2023 11:56 AM

Jeeeeeez, that Pia Lindstrom was a cold fish!

by Anonymousreply 23August 30, 2023 1:07 PM

What am I, chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 24August 30, 2023 1:11 PM

As a matter of fact, yes, Joe.

by Anonymousreply 25August 30, 2023 1:12 PM

[quote] Pia doesn't look too impressed with the memory

That's just the usual Scandinavian reservedness. Yes, her mother did seem a lot warmer in her interviews but she probably lost some of that Swedish iciness while she was banging Rossellini in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 26August 30, 2023 1:17 PM

I think the entire WML panel knew who the Mystery Guest was from the beginning but kept the game going for the "fun" of it.

by Anonymousreply 27August 30, 2023 1:29 PM

Did Pia ever work in the legitimate theater?

by Anonymousreply 28August 30, 2023 2:44 PM

R25, is it because I banged Deanna Durbin and not Judy??!!

by Anonymousreply 29August 30, 2023 2:52 PM

Wasn't there some incident recorded by either Christopher Isherwood or Don Bachardy about vile homophobic remarks made by Joseph Cotten at a party which they all attended? I'm sure I read about it here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 30August 30, 2023 4:02 PM

Those shots of Ingrid as the girl Paula in the first scene are hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 31September 4, 2023 3:03 AM

R5

He also happily wore a girdle and a toupee - refreshingly egoless.

by Anonymousreply 32September 4, 2023 3:29 AM

I liked the running gag of people walking away from someone talking to them and then you get the shocked reaction of the remaining person. The best was at the recital and that woman who was next to Joseph Cotten. And of course Dame May's repeated Well!

by Anonymousreply 33September 4, 2023 4:16 AM

Strongly agree with R10. Angela Lansbury is the only good thing in the Hollywood remake, which is bloated and overlong. This should be a taut melodrama. The story doesn't work without a strong performance by the actor playing the abusive husband. Boyer just isn't scary, but Anton Walbrook, who up until that point in his career had been playing romantic leads, is a genuinely frightening villain, a sadistic bastard who obviously enjoys torturing his wife. You see his eyes gleam with pleasure when one of his twisted manipulative ploys pays off and you know you're in the presence of a monster.

by Anonymousreply 34September 4, 2023 4:24 AM

The Paula in the British version looks just like Jennifer Saunders to me. I kept expecting Dawn French to pop up as the maid. A little piece of trivia about the American version. IMDb lists Terry Moore as playing the young Paula. In the closeup it’s obviously Ingrid but in the long shot of the girl leaving the house perhaps it could be Moore. Maybe they filmed it with her originally but decided to replace her closeup with Bergman. Odd.

by Anonymousreply 35September 4, 2023 6:33 AM

I rewatched the original. It has a different dynamic because we know the husband is messing with her much earlier. He is a more cartoonish villain who threatens her dog and has an affair with Nancy. I got a laugh from his line to Nancy when he says You're young and inexperienced. You are inexperienced, aren't you?!

by Anonymousreply 36September 4, 2023 11:27 AM

Why do people always think items are hidden in the stuffings of furniture in these kind of movies?

by Anonymousreply 37September 4, 2023 11:31 AM

In the source play ANGEL STREET the wife's name is Bella. It was changed to Paula for the Bergman/Boyer film. What is she called in the Wynard film?

by Anonymousreply 38September 4, 2023 3:01 PM

So many of Bergman's early roles had her playing a breathless, wide-eyed simp.

by Anonymousreply 39September 4, 2023 4:24 PM

The wife’s name is Bella in the British film, R38.

by Anonymousreply 40September 4, 2023 4:37 PM

She was marvelous in Gaslight, as the sassy minxy maid cavorting in the back alley with the bobby.

by Anonymousreply 41September 4, 2023 5:26 PM

The British version Nancy is a much bigger part.

by Anonymousreply 42September 5, 2023 1:28 AM

Gaslight is on TCM tonight.

by Anonymousreply 43October 13, 2023 9:55 PM

Yes it is, at 8 pm/ET on TCM. Followed by a very pale imitation, "Experiment Perilous," starring the twin peaks of wooden actors, Hedy Lamarr and George Brent. Supposedly, MGM wanted their star Hedy for "Gaslight" before Ingrid, but either Hedy or George Cukor vetoed the casting, depending on who you believe.

by Anonymousreply 44October 13, 2023 11:28 PM

LB Mayer saw Hedy as the perfect replacement for the troublesome and reluctant Garbo. What he failed to understand was that while Hedy had the look (at least while posing stock still), she had absolutely no gravitas once she opened her mouth and started moving.

by Anonymousreply 45October 13, 2023 11:46 PM

Hedy was gorgeous, but did not IT. Garbo (and Monroe) had IT: mesmerizing on screen. Mary!!! I know

by Anonymousreply 46October 14, 2023 12:16 AM

That should be "Hedy did have IT."

by Anonymousreply 47October 14, 2023 12:17 AM

Did Angela's character wind up solving the crime at the end as sort of a pre-cursor to Jessica Fletcher?

by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2023 12:18 AM

Would you care to try a third time r47?

by Anonymousreply 49October 14, 2023 12:26 AM

Hedy Lamarr was not an inventive actress...

by Anonymousreply 50October 14, 2023 12:48 AM

For those who do not get TCM, here's a 1080p version of "Gaslight."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 14, 2023 12:49 AM

One of my happiest memories is watching this movie in San Francisco at the Castro almost 40 years ago. When Ingrid confronted Boyer in the last reel the place went nuts.

by Anonymousreply 52October 14, 2023 1:07 AM

I love Anton Walbrook and didn’t know about his version. IMDb says it’s on Crackle.

by Anonymousreply 53October 14, 2023 1:26 AM

And Youtube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 14, 2023 1:33 AM

A film that really drives you mad until the catharsis of the final scenes. For such a strong woman, Bergman plays the victim beautifully. You really do believe she could be overcome. Love Lynn Redgrave's summing up of the film's power:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 16, 2023 2:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!