Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

U.S. Cities By Tiers

I have been thinking about this a lot. Here in the United States, we have "tier" cities:

Tier 1: "The Four Corners" (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Houston) plus San Francisco, Boston, and DC.

Tier 2: Philadelphia, Phoenix, Dallas, Seattle, Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta, and Miami

Tier 3: Austin, San Diego, Portland, Asheville, Louisville, Fort Worth, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Burlington, and Cleveland

Tier 4: Cincinnati, Lexington, Albuquerque, San Antonio, Jacksonville, Columbus, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Omaha, Syracuse, Buffalo, and Pittsburg.

Tier 5: St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, Memphis, Las Vegas, Little Rock, Jackson, and New Orleans

by Anonymousreply 83August 28, 2023 8:06 PM

I know I probably left some cities off, but I tried to get the big ones!

by Anonymousreply 1August 26, 2023 4:03 PM

I’d switch Pittsburgh and Vegas

by Anonymousreply 2August 26, 2023 4:04 PM

New Orleans is trash outside of the French Quarter

by Anonymousreply 3August 26, 2023 4:04 PM

No way is Charlotte a Tier 2 city.

by Anonymousreply 4August 26, 2023 4:06 PM

Not a gringo and even I know Vegas is too low on that list. It has A-list global name recognition, for that factor alone it can't be lower than the likes of fucking Tulsa or Syracuse.

by Anonymousreply 5August 26, 2023 4:06 PM

Asheville, Burlington, Lexington, and Syracuse are too small to be in any of those tiers.

"Pittsburg" is in California. Or Kansas. Presumably you meant PITTSBURGH.

You're really talking about metro areas, so Dallas and Ft. Worth are one, and San Jose (which is larger than San Francisco) needs to be included with SF.

by Anonymousreply 6August 26, 2023 4:10 PM

What are the criteria for these supposed Tiers, OP?

by Anonymousreply 7August 26, 2023 4:10 PM

R7 Criteria:

Tier 1: The "movers and shakers" of the US. They lead in industry, health, technology, education, amenities, and have worldwide recognition.

Tier 2: The same as Tier 1, but generally smaller and not as refined as Tier 1.

Tier 3: Cities were once Tier 2 or have the potential to be Tier 2. Smaller and average to above average.

Tier 4: They are OK. Decent place to settle down and raise a family. Not on anyone's radar.

Tier 5: Good luck. High crime, high poverty, low education, and poor infrastructure. Few opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 8August 26, 2023 4:16 PM

New Orleans has some shithole areas, but there are fine areas outside of the French Quarter, especially in the CBD and along the St. Charles area.

by Anonymousreply 9August 26, 2023 4:18 PM

Las Vegas and New Orleans are major tourist destinations and that matters a lot.

by Anonymousreply 10August 26, 2023 5:11 PM

R10 But besides the tourist areas, but do the cities have to offer? Not much.

by Anonymousreply 11August 26, 2023 5:16 PM

New Orleans is also one of the most culturally important American cities.

by Anonymousreply 12August 26, 2023 5:19 PM

What, no mention of San Jose?

by Anonymousreply 13August 26, 2023 5:21 PM

Denver? Stupid exercise anyway

by Anonymousreply 14August 26, 2023 5:24 PM

r13 see r6

by Anonymousreply 15August 26, 2023 5:24 PM

This will end in tiers.

by Anonymousreply 16August 26, 2023 5:24 PM

Where is Orlando?

by Anonymousreply 17August 26, 2023 5:25 PM

Burlington?

by Anonymousreply 18August 26, 2023 5:25 PM

At least everyone agrees with the Tier 1 cities

by Anonymousreply 19August 26, 2023 5:25 PM

I'm surprised no one from Austin has petitioned for a higher ranking yet, or a special tier unto itself.

by Anonymousreply 20August 26, 2023 5:26 PM

I love it when some baby-taste, suburbanite rube like OP deigns to teach us about her myopic and limited perceptions.......how very vivid.

by Anonymousreply 21August 26, 2023 5:26 PM

Atlanta is Tier 1 now, not Houston.

by Anonymousreply 22August 26, 2023 5:27 PM

R11

A tourist destination does not an Orlando make. It just means that travellers both international and domestic consider these cities worth visiting.

I would say the birthplace of Jazz pretty significant. Likewise, I can't see why anyone would want to step foot in times square.

That's just me though.

by Anonymousreply 23August 26, 2023 5:28 PM

R22 I don't think so. Houston has the largest medical center in the world. The city also hosts the largest museums and city parks outside of New York City. Houston is an industry-heavy city, too, housing many Fortune 500 countries (Exxon, Baker Botts, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, Hewett-Packard, Vinson & Elkins, CenterPoint, etc.).

Atlanta, on the other hand, has a lot of crime and not as many opportunities. The city did not start growing until the state gave tax breaks for filming. The city does house the headquarters for Coca-Cola, CNN, Delta, and Chick-fil-A, which also help.

by Anonymousreply 24August 26, 2023 5:38 PM

I suppose that makes sense if those are criteria but as a non-american, I can tell you that you that when you say 'Houston, Texas' nothing comes to mind, whereas the other tier one cities bring up immediate images in our heads.

by Anonymousreply 25August 26, 2023 7:36 PM

R25 Really? Not even oil? Or the international law firm Baker Botts? It was also the home city of former U.S. President George H.W. Bush.

by Anonymousreply 26August 26, 2023 7:42 PM

New Orleans isn’t a shithole and is the birthplace of jazz. There wouldn’t be much to America without New Orleans. It is also beautiful and the inspiration for classic literature and drama. Getta outta here with your soulless Charlotte and Atlanta and Denver. Whoever wrote a song about Charlotte?

by Anonymousreply 27August 26, 2023 9:21 PM

Kansas City tier 4? Its every bit the shithole tier 5 city and cross state rival St. Louis. Its just puts a glossier veneer on all the crime and poverty than STL. But all you have to do is scratch the very thin surface for the real stench to start stinking up the joint.

by Anonymousreply 28August 26, 2023 9:36 PM

Sorry, OP, but any city that has the world's busiest airport is NOT a 2nd tier city.

You and a lot of other may not think so, but Atlanta is now a first tier city.

by Anonymousreply 29August 26, 2023 9:47 PM

San Diego is a 10-tier city.

by Anonymousreply 30August 26, 2023 10:03 PM

Op you should find better use for your time. Volunteer for a worthwhile organization or help someone less fortunate than you instead of judging.

by Anonymousreply 31August 26, 2023 10:06 PM

[quote]Dallas and Ft. Worth are one

Wrong.

by Anonymousreply 32August 26, 2023 10:09 PM

Minneapolis/Saint Paul didn’t make it after all?

by Anonymousreply 33August 26, 2023 10:14 PM

Austin - which has over a million inhabitants - is the same tier as Burlington, VT, population 45,000?

by Anonymousreply 34August 26, 2023 10:22 PM

Richmond? Raleigh/Durham? Nashville? Portland? Detroit? There are many lower tier cities in the US. I’d stick to just ranking the top 3 tiers.

by Anonymousreply 35August 26, 2023 10:25 PM

Op is Tier -10

by Anonymousreply 36August 26, 2023 10:28 PM

This should have been a poll!

by Anonymousreply 37August 26, 2023 10:28 PM

R33 Minneapolis is a Tier 3 city. It is listed

by Anonymousreply 38August 26, 2023 10:40 PM

Here's a list based on economic function.

Poor Austin, still languishing alongside Peoria and Allentown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 26, 2023 10:51 PM

No, Houston brings up nothing, except for it being Trash Central.

Trash trash trash trash trash

by Anonymousreply 40August 26, 2023 11:05 PM

Houston floods every time it rains.

by Anonymousreply 41August 26, 2023 11:10 PM

No it doesn't...

by Anonymousreply 42August 27, 2023 12:58 AM

r26 to the rest of the world Dallas is oil. Baker-what-now? There are many presidential birthplaces and most are inconsequential. I'm sure Houston matters greatly and is probably lovely but it's not on an average person's radar.

by Anonymousreply 43August 27, 2023 2:31 AM

OP, you list is so wrong that I'm not sure where I should even start.

I think a city needs to be economically AND culturally important to be a first tier city. Are people flying in from Asia and Europe to take pictures in front of Houston's hospitals and office buildings? No, I don't believe they are. Only a maniac would put Houston in the same category as NYC. DC is a center of government but so is Ottawa. SF has a lot industry and some nice art museums but it's not LA's equal by any means. Boston? Please. The US has three first tier cities and they are NYC, Chicago and LA.

The rest of your tiers seem completely random and not worth analyzing on an individual basis (except for the fact that 7/8 of your bottom tier cities are extremely black, interesting pattern). As someone who is from Seattle and recently visited Phoenix, I can tell you that they are even close to being on the same level.

by Anonymousreply 44August 27, 2023 8:16 AM

[quote]I have been thinking about this a lot.

The DL condoles you.

by Anonymousreply 45August 27, 2023 8:23 AM

I like that Ranally city rating system - OP's, not so much.

But I think we can all agree that the largest cities in the US are currently beset by problems, ranging from a crisis in commercial real estate, lack of affordable housing, to relatively high crime and homelessness, traffic and commuting woes, etc They will still be destinations for businesses and finance and tourists - but are increasingly challenging for average income residents.

So I'm going to strongly advocate for the Ranalla 2-AA cities. They are simply much more livable for the middle class, and yet are still large enough to offer cultural amenities of larger cities - symphonies, theaters, opera companies, ballet companies, museums, art galleries, nice park systems - and with affordable housing and shorter commutes, middle class residents are more likely to take advantage of these cultural amenities. They are not anywhere close to OP's tier 1 and most don't aspire to be on that list, and that's ok.

by Anonymousreply 46August 27, 2023 8:30 AM

While I agree 100 % with r44, his Ottawa-bashing is unbelievably cruel!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 27, 2023 11:45 AM

R43

Dallas is oil? Because of the 40 year old TV show? Houston is the US center of the international oil business, no question. I grew up there and have family there and still can’t keep up with the international oil and oil-adjacent firms.

Dallas is prettier and more fashionable but Houstonians are more diverse and friendlier. Not a lovely city, but mostly lovely people. And it’s home to the Johnson Space Center.

by Anonymousreply 48August 27, 2023 12:01 PM

R49 Good. Maybe people will stop moving here.

by Anonymousreply 49August 27, 2023 12:03 PM

[quote] What, no mention of San Jose?

R13, Do you know the way to San Jose?

by Anonymousreply 50August 27, 2023 12:12 PM

Tier 1: New York, Chicago, Los Angeles Tier 2: DC, Houston, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Boston

After that it really doesn't much matter.

by Anonymousreply 51August 27, 2023 12:32 PM

[quote] I have been thinking about this a lot.

Why?

by Anonymousreply 52August 27, 2023 12:47 PM

"It was also the home city of former U.S. President George H.W. Bush."

This is an absurd criterion. Mentor, Ohio was James Garfield's home city. Who gives a shit?

by Anonymousreply 53August 27, 2023 12:51 PM

Some of these cities are important economically but don't have a lot of reach culturally. New Orleans is big in American minds because of music and food, among other reasons. . Dallas and Houston are places we change planes.

by Anonymousreply 54August 27, 2023 12:59 PM

I'm European born and bred and I wouldn't say that Houston is 'internationally recognised'. I can't think of anything when Houston is mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 55August 27, 2023 1:07 PM

Boston too... to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 56August 27, 2023 1:08 PM

I've lived DFW and Houston and agree they are not culturally important compared to other US cities. They're stopovers. Before etail blew up, both would get an influx of wealthy Middle Eastern high-end shoppers. That's the only time either were culturally significant, and from a very limited standpoint.

by Anonymousreply 57August 27, 2023 1:15 PM

New Orleans and Dallas are places most Europeans will have heard of in my (European) opinion.

by Anonymousreply 58August 27, 2023 1:21 PM

Anyone who doesn’t think of universities when Boston is mentioned is suspect.

by Anonymousreply 59August 27, 2023 1:29 PM

[quote]Anyone who doesn’t think of universities when Boston is mentioned is suspect.

Most people have heard of Harvard. But because the town isn't also called Harvard almost nobody gets what Boston is (outside of American citizens).

by Anonymousreply 60August 27, 2023 1:34 PM

R59

Ian Faith: The Boston gig has been cancelled...

David St. Hubbins: What?

Ian Faith: Yeah. I wouldn't worry about it though, it's not a big college town.

by Anonymousreply 61August 27, 2023 1:45 PM

Harvard, MIT, Boston University, Boston College, Tufts, Wellesley, Brandeis, Northeastern, etc.

by Anonymousreply 62August 27, 2023 1:48 PM

[quote]Harvard, MIT

Non-Americans will probably have heard of these universities but will NOT be aware that they are in Boston.

[quote]Boston University, Boston College, Tufts, Wellesley, Brandeis, Northeastern, etc.

Non-Americans will not typically have heard of these universities.

by Anonymousreply 63August 27, 2023 1:50 PM

R60 Educate yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 27, 2023 1:50 PM

r31 What can I do for you?

by Anonymousreply 65August 27, 2023 1:50 PM

There is a VERY invested Houstonian on this thread

by Anonymousreply 66August 27, 2023 1:58 PM

Houston is, I repeat, trash.

by Anonymousreply 67August 27, 2023 2:02 PM

Houston is nowhere near tier 1. Why would one even go there to visit? I’m sure there are nice areas and places and all but it has no cultural relevance what-so-ever.

by Anonymousreply 68August 27, 2023 2:30 PM

R29 Keep dreaming. Atlanta Olympics (the “coca-cola olympics”) were considered the worst of all time because Atlanta is such an uninspiring destination.

Hartsfield is the busiest airport because it is within 2 hours of 80% of them he US population and it’s Delta’s hub. Very few of those passengers are actually leaving the airport and going to Atlanta. Why would they? What world-class sights or experiences does Atlanta offer? The Georgia Aquarium? (yes yes, the works largest, oooh)

Atlanta is a booming bedroom city. It’s a nice place to live if you can stand the summer weather. Tier 1 city? That’s laughable.

by Anonymousreply 69August 27, 2023 2:59 PM

Harvard isn't in Boston either.

by Anonymousreply 70August 27, 2023 3:57 PM

New York stands in its own tier. There no other American cities on par with NY.

by Anonymousreply 71August 28, 2023 12:26 AM

No mention of Madison? Has been rated Best Place to Live in US numerous times.

by Anonymousreply 72August 28, 2023 12:50 AM

Houston is a Tier 1 if you are factoring in business. Oil, medical, space program and shipping. Very diverse. Anyone who says it's not on anyone's mind is delusional.

by Anonymousreply 73August 28, 2023 1:37 AM

It really depends on criteria. For financial output Houston is important. Cultural influence? None. No one goes there on vacation. Tourists who want “Texas” cowboys and ranches go to Dallas or maybe San Antonio.

I’ve frequently heard Houston described as ugly. I’m curious to see… it can’t be THAT bad.

by Anonymousreply 74August 28, 2023 3:51 AM

I've been to 45 states and almost every major city in the US. The only one I haven't been to? Houston. (Except to change planes.) Never found a compelling reason to go there.

by Anonymousreply 75August 28, 2023 4:22 AM

R75 - Agree about Houston's lack of appeal to visit - but IIRC San Antonio doesn't have a lot to offer either. I also have no urge to go to Salt Lake City.

Major second/third tier cities that are totally lackluster that I've visited: Jacksonville, Sacramento, Las Vegas (yes - besides the tacky strip, there's nothing), Detroit, Birmingham (AL), Greensboro, Charlotte, Indianapolis, Oklahoma City, Memphis.

I also don't see what's so special about Minneapolis/St. Paul. I've been many times (my brother used to live there) - I don't get it. It gets so much press about being a great place to live - and maybe it's true if you're white and straight.

Of course, being gay, I have a higher standard for a city - culture, restaurants, gay scene, beauty, vibrancy. There are a LOT of boring large cities in the US.

For such a large country, I guess you can expect that. I have to think the US is still better than many countries where everything is centered in their one capital city.

by Anonymousreply 76August 28, 2023 4:54 AM

Tier 1- New York

Tier 2- Los Angeles, Chicago

Tier 3- San Francisco/Bay Area, DC, Boston, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas

Tier 4- Seattle, Miami, Philadelphia

After that comes the rest which are not truly important major cities.

by Anonymousreply 77August 28, 2023 5:48 PM

I generally agree with R77, but no way is a tech center like Seattle the same level as Miami, a city that since 1970's owes its prosperity and growth mainly to the growth of the international illegal drug trade.

by Anonymousreply 78August 28, 2023 5:56 PM

I'm not a huge Miami fan, but it functions as the unofficial capital of Latin America r78. Multinational companies put their Latin America headquarters in Miami which is what puts it there

by Anonymousreply 79August 28, 2023 6:42 PM

According to the 2020 ranking of world cities undertaken by the Globalization and World Cities Research Network (GaWC) based on the level of presence of global corporate service organizations, Miami is considered a Beta+ level world city, along with Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston.

One level down are the Beta cities of Denver, Philadelphia, and Seattle. At least, according to the methodology of this organization.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80August 28, 2023 6:51 PM

R76

I love San Antonio - it’s very pretty downtown and has gracious neighborhoods (Alamo Heights, Monte Vista, King William), beautiful old missions, excellent food, and pretty solid art museums. I have a lot of family from SA so I’m biased but I love all the live oaks and the stone mansions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 28, 2023 7:20 PM

Where is Bakersfield?

by Anonymousreply 82August 28, 2023 7:31 PM

R82 Busy looking for her next hit.

by Anonymousreply 83August 28, 2023 8:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!