Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I liked the villain better

Movies make pretty clear who you’re expected to love/hate but sometimes I just don’t.

I preferred Alex Forrest to Beth Gallagher in Fatal Attraction. When Alex comes to the Gallagher apartment, Beth is sweetness and light as she later tells Dan that she suspects Alex “is alone.” While Dan’s tidy little life is passing before his eyes and he begins to think he might actually be outplayed by this opera-loving maniac.

When Dan confesses to wifey that he thinks he knows who boiled the bunny, that he in fact fucked the bunny boiler while wifey was off with their daughter at her mommy and daddy’s place, and that the bunny boiler is now pregnant, she flips out, gets on the phone with Alex, and promptly delivers a death threat.

Not that I wanted Alex to slaughter all the Gallaghers, which seemed to be within the realm of possibility, but Anne Archer’s Beth really bugged me and I could see how Alex got way too into a guy who never wanted anything but a quick lay with a woman who didn’t mind sitting spread-legged in a sink full of dirty dishes while he went at it, as contrasted with a wifey who spends 5 - 10 minutes applying makeup, fluffing her hair, slathering lotion on, and making self-satisfied smirks in the mirror just to get ready for the main event.

I liked Darth Vader, too.

by Anonymousreply 60August 22, 2023 2:26 PM

[quote] I liked Darth Vader, too.

Darth Vader was a pussy. I'll take Emperor Palpatine any day.

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2023 7:40 PM

I was rooting for The Darkness from Legend

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2023 7:47 PM

I always like Dracula better than everyone else

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2023 7:48 PM

Helen Berent (Gene Tierney) in Leave Her to Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2023 7:54 PM

Alan Rickman is the patron deity of this thread. Alan in "Die Hard," Alan in "Robin Hood," even Alan in that HP tripe.

Honorable mention to Jeremy Irons in the "Die Hard" sequel.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2023 7:59 PM

[quote]I always like Dracula better than everyone else.

Who else could make that cinnamon bun hairdo work?

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2023 8:02 PM

Pete Campbell on Mad Men is at various times presented as a villain. But he’s my favorite character.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2023 8:07 PM

I liked Hannibal Lecter

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2023 8:12 PM

I remember the first time when I saw "Fatal Attraction<' there is some line when the Anne Archer mother-wife character gets on the phone with Alex Forrest and calmly tells her that if she bothers her family again, she'll kill her. A Black woman in the audience then burst out with a loud "HOLY SHIT!" The entire audience cracked up.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2023 8:15 PM

Hans Landa from Inglourious Basterds was so fucking charming I wasn’t mad he survived. Christopher Waltz was perfect in the role.

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2023 8:17 PM

^^^oops, wrong thread. sorry.

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2023 8:19 PM

Sexy, stuck up Lucius Malfoy could’ve killed Harry Potter for all I cared. He was such an arrogant bitch. I loved it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2023 8:22 PM

Killmonger in Black Panther.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2023 8:23 PM

[quote] I remember watching this at a theatre in Washington, D.C. in a very mixed audience, and the Black folk in the theatre started talking back to the screen. It was exhilerating. I felt that oneness with the audience, too.

[quote] We were all on the edge of our seats, and when some guy said, "Awe man, you better tell your wife, man..." etc. it was so fun. I can't remember watching a movie at a theatre that was so unifying. I felt like we were all friends with the same guy.

R9, did you post R44 at the below-linked thread? I still remember reading that and enjoying the post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2023 8:24 PM

I may be the only one, but I always feel sorry for Lina Lamont (Jean Hagen) when she's publicly humiliated at the end of "Singin' in the Rain." Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor and the other guy are so damned smug, whistling and dancing as they prepare to open the curtain to reveal that perky Debbie Reynolds is actually providing Lina's singing voice. It just seems unnecessarily nasty, and Lina is by far the funniest and, to me, the most endearing character in the movie. Also, Gene Kelly, even in his dance numbers, always had a very punchable face. That phony, plastered-on grin of his made him seem so pleased with himself.

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2023 8:24 PM

The enormous bug alien that collapses at the end of "Starship Troopers."

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2023 8:26 PM

Eh R7 he sort of starts as the villain but he has a slow redemptive arc throughout the show....dont know if he counts. Interesintingly it does the reverse with Harry who starts out this well intentioned sort of nice guy and he ends up probably the sleaziest most unlikeable character.

Anyway I usually feel the same about most villains but ESPECIALLY with Victor Komarovsky in Dr Zhivago, played to perfection by Rod Steiger. Definitely not perfect and treated women like shit but not the unredeemable piece of shit that the characters in the film treated him like, he had his weak spots and even did the right thing in a couple of occasions.....plus the character was charming, funny, sexy, always told it like it was and was everything the rest of the characters other than maybe Alec Guiness's were not.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2023 8:26 PM

Can we include TV shows? The villains on Melrose Place were infinitely better than lame Alison, Billy, and Jane.

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2023 8:27 PM

Almost always the villains in the Batman movies, since they're always more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2023 8:32 PM

Another one for me is Steff from Pretty in Pink...1-it's mid 80's James fucking Spader, and 2nd, Ringwald is so freaking UNLIKEABLE in the film (despite supposedly being the likeable heroine) it just makes me defend him.

by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2023 8:35 PM

Derek (Jason Bateman) was much better than Ricky on Silver Spoons. He was more of a tween ‘bad boy’ than villain, but I wanted to be friends with him 100% more than dull Ricky.

(He was so popular that producers wrote him off the show because people liked him better than Ricky. Haha)

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2023 8:39 PM

Easy one: Peyton from The Hand That Rocks the Cradle!

I cheer every time she makes mincemeat out of the playground bully. And in my head I play an alternate ending where she slaughters those annoying Seattle yuppies (including the annoying child) and moves on to a happy life in another city.

Rebecca de Mornay was FABULOUS in this.

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2023 8:51 PM

How could I forget J.R. Ewing??

From the daytime soap world, Carl Hutchins in "Another World."

I'm not sure if Mrs. Howard Fowler counts as a villainess, but that dull, drab Mrs. Stephen Haines probably thinks so.

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2023 8:54 PM

Well I always rooted for the Childcatcher and the Baroness.

by Anonymousreply 24August 19, 2023 8:59 PM

Fuck yappy little Toto. I wanted the flying monkeys to whisk him far away.

by Anonymousreply 25August 19, 2023 9:04 PM

I was rooting for Charles to be crowned.

by Anonymousreply 26August 19, 2023 9:07 PM

Alex Krycek on the X-Files. I loved when he would pop up in random episodes and fuck with shit. Always a pleasant surprise. They didn’t need to kill him off, I would’ve liked to have seen him in the reboot. Still a pest twenty years on.

He was so hot, too.

by Anonymousreply 27August 19, 2023 9:07 PM

I always rooted for Heather on General Hospital and Annie Dutton on Guiding Light.

by Anonymousreply 28August 19, 2023 9:17 PM

From Ferris Bueller’s Day Off: the high school principal, and Jeannie Bueller. Matthew Broderick is smug and unsympathetic in every role he’s played on screen. I wanted Ferris to get caught and have his ass handed to him.

by Anonymousreply 29August 19, 2023 9:17 PM

Billy Zane on Titanic. Jack was an annoying little pussy.

by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2023 9:25 PM

r15=Zelda Zanders

by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2023 9:34 PM

The Nazis in "Captain Corelli's Mandolin." The movie was so awful that I was rooting for the Nazis to put an end to it.

by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2023 9:35 PM

[quote] preferred Alex Forrest to Beth Gallagher in Fatal Attraction.

Because who wouldn't prefer a schizoaffective maniac to a fucking $cio ant princess?

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2023 9:36 PM

Ahem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 19, 2023 9:36 PM

During "Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas" I was rooting for Satan.

by Anonymousreply 35August 19, 2023 9:36 PM

Jaws - I root for the shark every time.

That's what you get for going in the water.

by Anonymousreply 36August 19, 2023 9:37 PM

Nellie and Harriet Oleson

by Anonymousreply 37August 19, 2023 9:39 PM

As a child, I always preferred the villains in Disney movies, especially the female villains.

by Anonymousreply 38August 19, 2023 11:11 PM

Me too! I loved Maleficent. She was so haughty and scary and she turned into a freaking dragon. And she had a fantastic look.

But I also loved this one because she was batshit crazy and made me laugh:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 19, 2023 11:55 PM

Agent Smith in the "Matrix" films was a much more interesting character than Neo.

by Anonymousreply 40August 20, 2023 2:10 AM

The Baroness over Maria in Sound of Music for sure.

by Anonymousreply 41August 20, 2023 2:19 AM

[quote] The Baroness over Maria in Sound of Music for sure.

[quote] But I also loved this one because she was batshit crazy and made me laugh:

Maria makes me...laugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 20, 2023 2:22 AM

On True Blood, I liked human villain Sarah Newlin more than vampire "heroes" Eric and Pam.

by Anonymousreply 43August 20, 2023 2:43 AM

I was a Russell fan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 20, 2023 3:48 AM

Abby Fairgate Cunningham Ewing Sumner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 20, 2023 3:52 AM

Barking mad Sister Ruth in Black Narcissus.

by Anonymousreply 46August 20, 2023 11:52 AM

Another vote for the Baroness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 20, 2023 1:12 PM

Bruno (Robert Walker) in Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 20, 2023 1:45 PM

R48 It’s funny you mention Bruno because deep down, I always wanted to see Guy (Farley Granger) hook up with Bruno (Robert Walker). But again, I know it was 1950.

by Anonymousreply 49August 20, 2023 2:45 PM

Hitchcock had the best villains. I nominate Ray Milland in Dial M for Murder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 20, 2023 2:51 PM

Sorry OP, but Alex was such an insidious cunt that it makes me hard when she gets her comeuppance at the end each time I watch the film. I pretend that my hands are Dan’s wrapped around her bony neck as he’s drowning her in that scalding hot water. The original ending would have been great too, but she was so nasty that the action-packed, violent end she meets in that steamy bathroom is the only satisfying way that she could have gone out.

Two villains that I do feel sorry for and also kind of root for happen to be from two Jamie Lee Curtis horror flicks - Prom Night and Terror Train. SPOILER ALERT: One goes on a killing spree several years after witnessing the death of his twin sister when they were kids, and the latter goes berserk after having a mean trick played on him by a bunch of fraternity assholes.

by Anonymousreply 51August 20, 2023 3:10 PM

I feel sorry for The Predator. Ok he was a killing machine for some unknown reason but the cast slaughtered a whole village of Mexicans so they weren't innocents either.

by Anonymousreply 52August 21, 2023 9:11 AM

Conflict starring Humphrey Bogart has him as the villain and the protagonist. We know he is a killer but we feel sorry for him when things start happening against him.

by Anonymousreply 53August 21, 2023 9:14 AM

R9 That line is her saving grace because Alex is the rockstar of this film. Anne Archer plays the dotting turned warrior wife with such conviction and Alex is reduced to such a slimy bad 80s slasher flick villain that it becomes easy to root for Anne. One of the greatest films of all time that also has a horrible ending.

by Anonymousreply 54August 21, 2023 9:18 AM

Visser, the villain in Blood Simple, is one of my favorite movie characters of all time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 21, 2023 9:44 AM

I wanted Diana to take over Earth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 21, 2023 10:10 AM

Michael Biehn in "The Fan."

by Anonymousreply 57August 21, 2023 3:12 PM

Norman Bates.

by Anonymousreply 58August 21, 2023 3:23 PM

I was another one of those wierdos who loved female villains as a kid. Maleficent, Cruella DeVille, The Sanderson Sisters, The Grand High Witch-- even when their aim was the destruction of children, I was on their side. It's an interesting phenomena, and I think it says a lot about feeling like an outsider, with a point of view that's not valued by the mainstream. These women were all outsiders, but they were also larger than life, self-possessed and confident, becoming heroes to those of us who needed validating that there was more than one way to be in the world.

by Anonymousreply 59August 22, 2023 2:11 PM

^ R38 here and I fully agree with what you said. Thanks for putting it so well.

by Anonymousreply 60August 22, 2023 2:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!