Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A Delicious Dressing for Salad

Lately, I've been purchasing the nicest mixed field greens at a local farmer's market and this is the salad dressing that I've been making.

It's really delicious, garlicky, and umami-rich.

I recently had guests over for dinner and served this salad dressing over mixed greens alongside roast chicken. To the salad, I added just a few slices of pickled red onion; some grape tomatoes that I cut in half and slowly roasted with olive oil, flaky sea salt, ground pepper, and fennel seed (200 degrees for an hour); and fresh mozzarella ciliegine or "pearls."

So without further ado, here is a recipe for my current favorite salad dressing:

[bold] GREG'S GARLIC, ANCHOVY, & PARMIGIANO VINAIGRETTE [/BOLD]

[bold] INGREDIENTS [/bold]

– 1 Heaping Teaspoon of Dijon Mustard

– 2 Large Egg Yolks

– 2 Tablespoons of Red Wine Vinegar

– 1/2 to 3/4 Cup of Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil

– 4 Anchovy Fillets (packed in oil & drained)

– 1 Large Garlic Clove – or 2 smaller cloves

– 1/4 Cup of Grated Parmigiano Reggiano

– A Squeeze of Half a Lemon

– Sea Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper

+++

[bold] PROCEDURE [/bold]

1. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, Dijon mustard, & red wine vinegar until smooth and pale yellow in color.

2. Slowly whisk in the olive oil (be sure to incorporate the olive oil slowly!) until emulsified. You will use between 1/2 and 3/4 cup of olive oil and the emulsification should be thick (not as thick as mayonnaise, but close).

3. On a cutting board, finely chop the garlic and anchovy fillets. Start chopping with a chef's knife, then add pinch of salt and using two forks, mash the garlic and anchovy fillets into a paste. Chop some more with the chef's knife until you have a relatively smooth paste. Add this to your egg yolk/Dijon/red wine vinegar emulsification and whisk in.

4. Whisk in the grated Parmigiano Reggiano and add a squeeze of fresh lemon and a few grindings of black pepper.

5. This is very important: [bold] TASTE IT. [/bold] Does it need any more salt? Pepper? Garlic? Anchovies?

You want to have a thickened vinaigrette that tastes of lemon, garlic, anchovies, and Parmigiano Reggiano.

Trust me on this—it is delicious. Even if you don't normally like anchovies, please try this. Be sure to dress your salad a carefully. You don't want to have limp, weighed-down greens. Keep tasting.

Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 159October 20, 2023 3:52 PM

Dude, could you just maybe take a break?

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2023 5:02 PM

Hi, Greg.

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2023 5:03 PM

[quote] Dude, could you just maybe take a break?

Dude, no.

Perhaps you could do two things:

1. Resist reading posts that hold no interest for you.

2. Resist commenting on posts about which you have no interest.

That seems both easy and reasonable. For an adult, that is.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2023 5:09 PM

Hello, R2.

How are you today?

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2023 5:09 PM

Dude this is just caesar salad dressing.

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2023 5:24 PM

That doesn’t seem like enough vinegar for all that oil.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2023 5:25 PM

[quote] Dude this is just caesar salad dressing.

Dude, there are many ways to make Caesar salad dressing.

When I make Caesar salad, I do not use this dressing—but use a dressing with more lemon juice and no red wine vinegar.

All I'm saying is that this is a delicious, piquant salad dressing that is good as an accompaniment to roast chicken, chicken paillards, etc. especially for a summer meal.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2023 5:29 PM

Your recipe sounds divine Greg. Thank you for sharing. What are your thoughts on swapping out the anchovy fillets for anchovy paste?

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2023 5:45 PM

[quote] That doesn’t seem like enough vinegar for all that oil.

R6, the traditional oil to vinegar ratio is [bold] three parts oil to one part vinegar/acid. [/bold]

This recipe calls for approximately 8 to 12 Tablespoons (or 1/2 to 3/4 cup) of olive oil.

This recipe calls for 2 Tablespoons of red wine vinegar and the juice of half a lemon (1 to 1.5 Tablespoons of lemon juice). This comes out to approximately 3 to 3-1/2 Tablespoons of acid.

The recipe calls for approximately 8 to 12 Tablespoons (or 1/2 to 3/4 cup) of olive oil.

If you do your math properly, you will find that this is indeed the proper ratio of three parts oil to one part vinegar/acid.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2023 5:46 PM

[quote] Your recipe sounds divine Greg. Thank you for sharing. What are your thoughts on swapping out the anchovy fillets for anchovy paste?

Thank you, R8!

I've done that in the past, but I've also read that anchovy paste is stronger tasting and I like the freshness and purity of using anchovy fillets.

That said, you should feel free to substitute the anchovy fillets with anchovy paste.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2023 5:48 PM

[bold] CORRECTION [/bold]

Sorry about repeating this line in R9:

[quote] The recipe calls for approximately 8 to 12 Tablespoons (or 1/2 to 3/4 cup) of olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2023 5:57 PM

Regardless, your dressing has inspired me. I'm going to make myself a caesar.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2023 6:23 PM

Great, R12!

I hope you’ll try making this dressing for your Caesar salad.

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2023 6:27 PM

Yes Greg, limp is bad. On greens too.

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2023 6:29 PM

How long will this keep? Half recipes OK?

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2023 6:33 PM

Sounds good, but I always avoid raw eggs.

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2023 6:40 PM

I'm talking about the drink, Greg.

by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2023 6:55 PM

Vile. When one has very fresh local salad greens, dress them with lemon and fragrant oil, salt and pepper. Then everyone can TASTE the greens.

by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2023 6:56 PM

[quote] How long will this keep? Half recipes OK?

Yes, a half recipe is just fine, R15.

Covered tightly, this dressing will keep for three days.

I hope you like it!

by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2023 7:02 PM

[quote] How long will this keep? Half recipes OK?

Yes, a half recipe is just fine, R15.

Covered tightly, this dressing will keep for three days.

I hope you like it!

by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2023 7:03 PM

[quote] Vile. When one has very fresh local salad greens, dress them with lemon and fragrant oil, salt and pepper. Then everyone can TASTE the greens.

I agree with you, R18–except for your use of the word ‘vile.’

I have salad a lot and typically with these types of greens will make a simple vinaigrette with either lemon juice or red/white/sherry/or Champagne vinegar, and a good olive oil. Salt and pepper, of course, and sometimes some fines herbes.

However, I wanted something more robust the other night when I was serving roast chicken. It was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2023 7:08 PM

Oh! Okay, R17.

by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2023 10:08 PM

Hey Greg, do you have a good recipe for Dal? The Indian lentil dish?

I've been buying packs of premade dal at the grocery store, along with toaster naans, and it's expensive, while making your own dal is dirt cheap. So that's something I need to learn how to cook, but which of a bazillion online recipes to choose? Help me, Greg, you're not my only hope but you're a start!

by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2023 12:23 AM

A signature salad dressing is the sign of a complete hostess. This particular preparation is one that I’ve used for years:

Tony’s * Signature Salad Dressing

1/2 C light vinegar, 1/2 C sugar, 1/2 C chili sauce, Juice of one lemon, 1 small onion, grated, 2 t salt, 1 t black pepper, 1/2 C light-flavored oil

Mix all ingredients, don’t worry about trying to make an emulsion. The beauty of this dressing is its simplicity.

Chill. Dress salad shortly before serving.

I’ve had so many successful suppers using this very dressing! My friends all talk about what a superior drudge I am!

[quote]*Actually this is Club Car Dressing, of the era of Helen Corbett’s Honey Poppyseed Dressing, it’s a similar to what has been branded as Catalina. This particular recipe is from “Flavored With Tradition: A Collection of Recipes from Charleston, Atlanta, and Richmond” published in the late 70s.

by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2023 12:48 AM

[quote]R1: Dude, could you just maybe take a break?

Or just break something, perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2023 1:01 AM

"umami"

Who are you calling "Mammy"!?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2023 1:08 AM

[quote] I have salad a lot

Taco salad isn’t “salad.”

🥗

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2023 1:53 AM

I’ve never been able to make a paste of salt and garlic. It’s not possible.

You can’t chop up the garlic fine enough to make a paste. 🤷🏻‍♀️

by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2023 2:46 AM

Once I have the garlic diced, r28, I smear the garlic and salt together on the cutting board, moving left to right, right to left, back and forth with the side of my knife.

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2023 2:49 AM

R24 that sounds really good. Kind of a lot of sugar though. Would it work with less sugar or even honey?

by Anonymousreply 30August 18, 2023 2:58 AM

R30, I don’t know. It’s certainly not going to ruin it to add less sugar but keep in mind that between the vinegar and the lemon you’ve got nearly 3/4 of a cup of acid to counteract. You could try honey but I find most to have a strong flavor, if you do use half the amount of sugar because honey is doubly sweet. The only alteration I’ve ever tried is to substitute out 1T of the oil for sesame oil and added 2T of sesame seeds.

by Anonymousreply 31August 18, 2023 3:06 AM

This is a basic recipe for dal:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 18, 2023 4:06 AM

[quote]I’ve never been able to make a paste of salt and garlic. It’s not possible.

You chop the garlic as finely as you can. Then you sprinkle a pinch of salt on it. Then you take your knife, blade against the board at maybe a 20 degree angle and you run it over (pull it over) the garlic repeatedly [italic]in the same direction [/italic] while pressing down against the board with knife a bit and you will eventually end up with a paste. The blade is facing the opposite direction that you are pulling the knife.

by Anonymousreply 33August 18, 2023 4:15 AM

[quote] I’ve never been able to make a paste of salt and garlic. It’s not possible. You can’t chop up the garlic fine enough to make a paste. 🤷🏻‍♀️

R28, I grate garlic on a fine Microplane grater (easier with larger cloves) and it makes a paste. This is the Microplane grater that I use.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 18, 2023 4:23 AM

Thanks for all the tips, guys.

So you pretty much crush the hell out of the garlic.

I’ll try it next time I need a garlic/salt paste.

😬

by Anonymousreply 35August 18, 2023 4:42 AM

Are a mortar and pestle actually OK with the many demanding "home cooks" requiring/saying that kind of co-mingling is all about their purity about basic salt and other equally precious ingredients ?

YOU ARE NOT PRETENTIOUS enough, @NYTimes self-involved, yet scampering around not knowing why, and blasting all over the Hudson River Valley pretentious self-abaorption.

by Anonymousreply 36August 18, 2023 7:20 AM

What?

by Anonymousreply 37August 18, 2023 7:21 AM

[quote] I’ve never been able to make a paste of salt and garlic. It’s not possible. You can’t chop up the garlic fine enough to make a paste.

Yes, you can, R28.

The salt acts as an abrasive and helps break down the garlic.

R29, knows how to do it.

Keep trying!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 18, 2023 2:10 PM

[quote] So you pretty much crush the hell out of the garlic.

Yes, you must if you wish to have a paste. Chop, crush, drag, chop some more, flatten out by dragging, chop, and repeat.

Be patient and persistent.

by Anonymousreply 39August 18, 2023 2:14 PM

R36, huh?

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2023 2:16 PM

Would a few drops of olive oil aid in making the garlic into a paste? Because in a mini chopper there's that little hole where you pour the oil in while it's chopping.

by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2023 2:49 PM

These threads are always the mentally unbalanced OP posting as both "himself" and then sock-puppeting the fawning responses. Notice the constantly quick, one-line approving comments to him after a disparaging comment? Been here for decades and, when you're on any board for a long period of time, you know, without a doubt, when someone's doing this. We've had dozens of them over the years. I don't really understand why people do it, but it's done, and it's done by this particular OP and his multiple personalities.

by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2023 3:01 PM

Hey Greg, have you ever made a cassoulet? Do you have a recipe?

by Anonymousreply 43August 18, 2023 3:05 PM

Annnddd, right on time at R43, just as I said. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 44August 18, 2023 3:07 PM

[quote] LOL!

LoL! :)

by Anonymousreply 45August 18, 2023 3:09 PM

And yet despite the subterfuges you allege he spends his energy devising, he manages also to submit for the group’s enjoyment some recipes that sound pretty darn good and then is given endless amount of shit for it.

Plagiarism! Sock puppeting! Mental illness! Multiple personalities! Caesar salad dressing!

Damn, Greg, you are some kind of master criminal and I, for one, would love to receive an invitation to enjoy some roast chicken and a nicely dressed salad at your table.

by Anonymousreply 46August 18, 2023 3:12 PM

R42, please provide some examples in this very post.

I never respond to myself.

For what it’s worth, R42 is entirely wrong.

by Anonymousreply 47August 18, 2023 3:40 PM

Thanks, R46.

You will now be perceived as one of my sock puppets.

Oh well.

And you would be welcome at my table anytime.

by Anonymousreply 48August 18, 2023 3:42 PM

[quote] Hey Greg, have you ever made a cassoulet? Do you have a recipe?

Yes, R43, I have made both a traditional cassoulet and also a root vegetable cassoulet (Daniel Boulud).

I’m getting my hair cut now, but will post something for you later today.

by Anonymousreply 49August 18, 2023 3:45 PM

[quote] Been here for decades and, when you're on any board for a long period of time, you know, without a doubt, when someone's doing this.

Sure, Jan.

What a bore you are.

by Anonymousreply 50August 18, 2023 3:46 PM

Without the drive-by insults and assessments of your character defects, your fussy little recipe threads would be a total snore.

A bit of gratitude to your detractors would be nice, Gerg.

by Anonymousreply 51August 18, 2023 4:02 PM

[quote] Would a few drops of olive oil aid in making the garlic into a paste? Because in a mini chopper there's that little hole where you pour the oil in while it's chopping.

I don't see that this is necessary.

Personally, I wouldn't use a mini chopper or any type of processor for this. Just a chef's knife and two forks on a good cutting board.

The idea is, you don't want to have discernible pieces of garlic and anchovy in the dressing, so you want to make it into a paste that then will incorporate nicely into the emulsification.

by Anonymousreply 52August 18, 2023 4:19 PM

[quote] Without the drive-by insults and assessments of your character defects, your fussy little recipe threads would be a total snore. A bit of gratitude to your detractors would be nice, Gerg.

No, I don't agree.

Most people like my threads and appreciate learning something, even if they are not inclined to cook.

You offer nothing here but negativity. And I couldn't care any less about you.

Have a nice day!

by Anonymousreply 53August 18, 2023 4:21 PM

R42 is right on the money. As is R51

by Anonymousreply 54August 18, 2023 5:07 PM

[quote] [R42] is right on the money. As is [R51]

No.

They are both wrong. Especially R42.

by Anonymousreply 55August 18, 2023 5:11 PM

Well I never!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 18, 2023 5:31 PM

R56

by Anonymousreply 57August 18, 2023 9:56 PM

I use this as salad dressing. Try it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 18, 2023 10:08 PM

That looks disgusting. r58.

by Anonymousreply 59August 18, 2023 10:13 PM

R58, that is almost as revolting as that sugary shit that R24 posted.

Absolutely horrible.

by Anonymousreply 60August 18, 2023 10:23 PM

I take it back, R58.

Your Mississippi Comeback Sauce is nowhere near as ghastly as what R24 posted.

My apologies.

by Anonymousreply 61August 18, 2023 10:26 PM

R58

by Anonymousreply 62August 19, 2023 2:24 AM

The recipe R24 posted looks far more doable and versatile than the usual garbage the OP posted. I suppose if your taste buds were fried from COVID they might be palatable.

by Anonymousreply 63August 19, 2023 3:30 AM

I like Greg, but it's upsetting that he went after Tony Woodard. Tony just made another contribution to this thread. Granted, too much sugar, but don't deride.

by Anonymousreply 64August 19, 2023 7:19 AM

[quote] I like Greg, but it's upsetting that he went after Tony Woodard. Tony just made another contribution to this thread. Granted, too much sugar, but don't deride.

Nice thought, but you should know that I never go after anyone, or even criticize anyone, without being provoked.

Tony, with whom I had never engaged, was a jerk to me. So, you have good instincts, R64, but Tony is hardly a victim here.

by Anonymousreply 65August 19, 2023 1:00 PM

Give me a break!

Greg, you troll around here with all this put on sweetness and light bullshit while having been proven to be simultaneously attacking people anonymously. That poor guy who was dying, you were terrible but anonymously, probably because you hated someone being liked more or more getting attention here than you do.

I don’t care if you like me or not, frankly I wear it as badge of honor that you don’t. Unlike you, I’m not some troll who needs to have fans or be popular on a largely anonymous website known for, if anything, bitchiness.

I appreciate people trying to stand up for me but I wish they’d save their breath. I’m a big boy and don’t care what you, they, or anyone else on here thinks of me and can call a cunt out myself when it needs to be done.

by Anonymousreply 66August 19, 2023 1:18 PM

^ Hilarious

by Anonymousreply 67August 19, 2023 1:27 PM

[quote] That poor guy who was dying, you were terrible but anonymously, probably because you hated someone being liked more or more getting attention here than you do.

This is simultaneously the funniest and the most pathetically offensive comment.

“That poor guy who was dying” was named Joe. And his husband’s name is Mark.

I never was “terrible” to a dying man or to his spouse.

You are pathetic. Please get lost.

by Anonymousreply 68August 19, 2023 1:57 PM

Now that R66 is done and dusted, let’s get back to the business at hand.

This salad dressing is very good. I hope you’ll give it a try.

Remember, it should be almost as thick as mayonnaise. If it needs thinning, you slowly add drops of fresh lemon juice until you reach the desired consistency.

by Anonymousreply 69August 19, 2023 2:30 PM

As Dorothy said about Rose's new diet salad dressing: it would have more flavor if you ran it under the faucet.

by Anonymousreply 70August 19, 2023 2:56 PM

[quote] As Dorothy said about Rose's new diet salad dressing: it would have more flavor if you ran it under the faucet.

On the contrary, R70.

Dijon

Garlic

Anchovies

Red Wine Vinegar

Lemon Juice

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

+++

This dressing has a lot of flavor.

Parmigiano Reggiano

by Anonymousreply 71August 19, 2023 3:11 PM

For all you saying you can't make a paste, this is what a molcajete is for.

by Anonymousreply 72August 19, 2023 3:27 PM

Have you "seasoned" your molcajete with uncooked rice, r72?

by Anonymousreply 73August 19, 2023 3:30 PM

[quote]And yet despite the subterfuges you allege he spends his energy devising,

Energy devising? Sweetie, it's simply cutting and pasting. No one who spends as much time and energy posting at every mention of its name is cooking or entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 74August 19, 2023 3:30 PM

No I didn't use rice to season it. I did it differently.

by Anonymousreply 75August 19, 2023 3:33 PM

Care to share how you did it, r75?

by Anonymousreply 76August 19, 2023 3:34 PM

Why R76? Lol. Curious why you want to know.

Hint: it's the ingredients of garlic paste and some extras.

by Anonymousreply 77August 19, 2023 3:49 PM

THank you for this Greg. I love anchovies. QUESTION: Can I use balsamic vinegar instead of red wine vinegar? I have both. Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 78August 19, 2023 3:52 PM

[quote] No one who spends as much time and energy posting at every mention of its name is cooking or entertaining.

Oh but I am, R74.

I cook most nights of the week (my partner also likes to cook).

And, I entertain at least as often as I post about here. I’ve even provided photos, just as requested.

So, please mind your own business.

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 79August 19, 2023 4:00 PM

[quote] THank you for this Greg. I love anchovies. QUESTION: Can I use balsamic vinegar instead of red wine vinegar? I have both. Just curious.

You are very welcome, R78.

You could try balsamic, but I think that red wine vinegar would be better tasting, at least to my palate.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 80August 19, 2023 4:02 PM

[quote] Sweetie, it's simply cutting and pasting.

[bold] FALSE [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 81August 19, 2023 4:04 PM

Is the title of this thread irritating the fuck out of anyone else? Use fewer words, Greg. Salad dressing. Not dressing for salad.

by Anonymousreply 82August 19, 2023 4:09 PM

Hey guys! PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!! AS SOON AS I POST MY COPIED RECIPES, YOU MUST REPORT BACK WITH YOUR FAWNING APPROVAL TO BOOST MY EGO AND GIVE ME THE ATTENTION I LACK IN REAL LIFE!!! I LOVE THE SIGHT OF MY OWN TYPING AND THAT'S WHY I USE SOCK PUPPETS TO GIVE WW MYSELF AND MAKE IT SEEM LIKE I HAVE A "FAN CLUB".

Never mind that needing a fan club online is about as pathetic and needy as you can get.

by Anonymousreply 83August 19, 2023 4:17 PM

Anchovies are absolutely disgusting.

I hope you warn people before you serve it.

by Anonymousreply 84August 19, 2023 4:17 PM

Have you never eaten a Caesar salad, r84? If it was made right, you've eaten anchovies. And you probably didn't realize it.

by Anonymousreply 85August 19, 2023 4:20 PM

R82, it’s evidence of the same personality traits which lead other, more renowned hostesses to throw a “waterside supper with riparian entertainments” instead of a “riverside picnic.”

by Anonymousreply 86August 19, 2023 4:21 PM

Aren't all recipes just some version of someone else's recipe? The best chefs start with a blueprint that's probably already been done and then add their own unique touches and flavors. Why single out this guy?

by Anonymousreply 87August 19, 2023 4:31 PM

[quote] Is the title of this thread irritating the fuck out of anyone else? Use fewer words, Greg. Salad dressing. Not dressing for salad.

Okay, Jan.

🥱

by Anonymousreply 88August 19, 2023 4:31 PM

[quote] Anchovies are absolutely disgusting. I hope you warn people before you serve it.

I certainly do not, R84.

Furthermore, my friends all seem to have mature palates and are not fussy when it comes to fine food.

by Anonymousreply 89August 19, 2023 4:33 PM

[quote] [R82], it’s evidence of the same personality traits which lead other, more renowned hostesses to throw a “waterside supper with riparian entertainments” instead of a “riverside picnic.”

Does anyone else feel as though Tony has a crush on me?

He won’t leave me alone.

Tony, please!

by Anonymousreply 90August 19, 2023 4:35 PM

[quote] Have you never eaten a Caesar salad, [R84]?

I doubt that R84 has ever eaten a proper Caesar salad … one with dressing that didn’t get poured from a plastic bottle.

by Anonymousreply 91August 19, 2023 4:37 PM

Hey, R83, please keep quiet.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 92August 19, 2023 4:37 PM

R87 that's quite obvious if you read its posts.

by Anonymousreply 93August 19, 2023 4:44 PM

[quote] Aren't all recipes just some version of someone else's recipe? The best chefs start with a blueprint that's probably already been done and then add their own unique touches and flavors. Why single out this guy?

It’s embarrassing, R87, but as other posters have posited, jealousy and intimidation.

Crazy, really.

I’m simply sharing the best recipes, cooking techniques, and tips that I know, after many years of cooking.

My gardening tips and ideas will be coming in another installment. I hope you enjoy it all!

by Anonymousreply 94August 19, 2023 4:49 PM

I like Caesar but my favorite is a simple oil and vinegar with salt, pepper, and minced garlic which my Madrilena step-grandmother perfected. It was swoon worthy and the best part of dinner was sopping up the dressing with bread. I have seriously never tasted anyone else's that comes close.

by Anonymousreply 95August 19, 2023 4:49 PM

[quote]I recently had guests over for dinner

🤣 sure, you did.

by Anonymousreply 96August 19, 2023 4:50 PM

Sounds delicious, R95!

Will you share the recipe with us?

by Anonymousreply 97August 19, 2023 4:51 PM

[quote] Is the title of this thread irritating the fuck out of anyone else? Use fewer words, Greg. Salad dressing. Not dressing for salad.

“Thread title” not “title of this thread.”

How irritating you are, R82.

by Anonymousreply 98August 19, 2023 4:53 PM

[quote] 🤣 sure, you did.

Okay, you must know better.

by Anonymousreply 99August 19, 2023 4:53 PM

[quote]that's quite obvious if you read its posts.

If it is obvious, then why attack the guy and accuse him of plagiarizing recipes and just about everything else short of being the child of Satan? This whole Greg thing is quite odd. It's like you all are mad at him because he just won't roll over and let you attack him.

by Anonymousreply 100August 19, 2023 4:55 PM

Dense R100. Not getting it all or don't want to.

by Anonymousreply 101August 19, 2023 4:59 PM

[quote] This whole Greg thing is quite odd. It's like you all are mad at him because he just won't roll over and let you attack him.

I think you are right, R100.

I am certainly a lightening rod for the mentally unstable out here.

I find it all very amusing! And a little sad.

But mostly amusing.

by Anonymousreply 102August 19, 2023 5:00 PM

[quote] Dense [R100]. Not getting it all or don't want to.

There you go, R100!

You’re not giving the little boy at R100 what he wants, so he’s going to pout.

😭

by Anonymousreply 103August 19, 2023 5:02 PM

Add me to your "Dense" list, r101. Greg contributes. You just talk shit.

by Anonymousreply 104August 19, 2023 5:03 PM

[bold] CORRECTION [/bold]

You’re not giving the little boy at [R101] what he wants, so he’s going to pout.

by Anonymousreply 105August 19, 2023 5:03 PM

[quote] Add me to your "Dense" list, [R101]. Greg contributes. You just talk shit.

Thank you, R104.

I contribute a lot to DL.

People like R101 just vomit out anything they like.

My contributions will only increase out here. I’m happy that you like them!

by Anonymousreply 106August 19, 2023 5:06 PM

^^^^sock alert!

Sweetie, I've been contributing since 1995 and that's how I know a DL troll.

by Anonymousreply 107August 19, 2023 5:07 PM

[quote] ^^^^sock alert! Sweetie, I've been contributing since 1995 and that's how I know a DL troll.

You know nothing, R107.

Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 108August 19, 2023 5:11 PM

R107, touches on the crux of the issue.

Those of us who have been here since the beginning know the signs. We’ve lived through the all of the infamous ones and they all have a list of similar commonalities which set them apart from the usual kooky traits which make for a DL denizen.

by Anonymousreply 109August 19, 2023 5:19 PM

[quote] Those of us who have been here since the beginning know the signs.

Yes, I’ve been here since the beginning.

No sock puppets.

None.

by Anonymousreply 110August 19, 2023 5:25 PM

Off to relocate a groundhog to a state forest.

by Anonymousreply 111August 19, 2023 5:35 PM

I've read you want to go 28 miles away at least, r111, to relocate a pest.

by Anonymousreply 112August 19, 2023 5:42 PM

[QUOTE]Have you never eaten a Caesar salad, [R84]? If it was made right, you've eaten anchovies. And you probably didn't realize it.

I avoid them like the plague. I would never TOUCH an anchovy or anything with anchovies in it.

by Anonymousreply 113August 19, 2023 6:17 PM

I know what makes the dressing extra creamy. The secret is in the sauce. Which sauce do you ask? Let’s just say it’s very commonly found in the average DLer.

by Anonymousreply 114August 19, 2023 6:38 PM

I like your posts Greg. Even if I don’t make the stuff, it gets me thinking about how I can change up recipes I do make.

by Anonymousreply 115August 19, 2023 6:42 PM

Thank you, Sarah-Kwell (R115)!

I’m happy you said hello!

by Anonymousreply 116August 19, 2023 7:39 PM

[quote] I know what makes the dressing extra creamy.

Yes, R114, egg yolks.

Egg yolks are what make this dressing for salad extra creamy.

by Anonymousreply 117August 20, 2023 4:35 PM

[quote]Use fewer words

I believe it's less words.

by Anonymousreply 118August 20, 2023 7:31 PM

R118 is correct.

R82 has many problems—a proper understanding of the English language is among them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 20, 2023 7:41 PM

LOL! Once again the troll OP has been busted and grayed out!

by Anonymousreply 120August 21, 2023 2:49 AM

Will the real Greg please stand up and toss some prunes!

by Anonymousreply 121August 21, 2023 3:05 AM

R121 clearly "it" would like to toss a salad with those prunes.

by Anonymousreply 122August 21, 2023 3:11 AM

Gerg types female to me. A lonely frau posting plagiarized recipes and saying things like "they're just jealous" to explain critics. Lots of DLers are wonderful cooks yet she condescends and begs for approval. Total frau.

by Anonymousreply 123August 21, 2023 3:18 AM

R123, I think it’s been well established that I’m not a frau.

But I am flattered by your interest.

by Anonymousreply 124August 21, 2023 5:06 AM

[quote] LOL! Once again the troll OP has been busted and grayed out!

Just for you.

by Anonymousreply 125August 21, 2023 5:08 AM

I like your recipes, Georgia! Keep posting!

by Anonymousreply 126August 21, 2023 5:19 AM

I certainly will, R126!

Thanks for the encouraging words.

by Anonymousreply 127August 21, 2023 5:20 AM

🤣omg...I originally typed Gerg. Well blew that one.

by Anonymousreply 128August 21, 2023 5:22 AM

I feel so much better.

by Anonymousreply 129August 21, 2023 5:23 AM

Maybe we should start calling it Geoorgia. Accusing people of being jealous is something a HS girl says about people not liking her. No self reflection or looking at possible reasons just a knee jerk "they so jealous". No, you're really just a cunt, dear.

by Anonymousreply 130August 21, 2023 2:21 PM

Greg is Lipstick Lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 131August 21, 2023 5:31 PM

[quote] Maybe we should start calling it Geoorgia. Accusing people of being jealous is something a HS girl says about people not liking her. No self reflection or looking at possible reasons just a knee jerk "they so jealous". No, you're really just a cunt, dear.

Okay, R130.

by Anonymousreply 132August 21, 2023 6:19 PM

[quote] Greg is Lipstick Lesbian.

How did you figure that out, R 131?

by Anonymousreply 133August 21, 2023 6:21 PM

Probably when you forgot to log out as Gerg and starting swearing at everyone in Portuguese. Oopsie.

by Anonymousreply 134August 21, 2023 10:12 PM

[quote] Probably when you forgot to log out as Gerg and starting swearing at everyone in Portuguese. Oopsie.

Oh darn!

Como fodidamente estúpido de mim!

by Anonymousreply 135August 21, 2023 10:27 PM

[quote]Como fodidamente estúpido de mim!

Eu ri! 😁

by Anonymousreply 136August 21, 2023 11:02 PM

Is that a hint R244 that Gerg and LL are one and the same? Schizo troll?

by Anonymousreply 137August 21, 2023 11:34 PM

Not sure if G is a frau but is a fraud for sure. Anyone who has the time and energy to respond to every post is certainly not “entertaining.”

by Anonymousreply 138August 22, 2023 12:45 AM

R138 yes. "It" seems to have nothing but time on "its" hands when "it" is allegedly making some disgusting concoction for a large dinner party. And mowing lawns, changing bed linens in all the guest rooms, etc. Total bullSHIT.

by Anonymousreply 139August 22, 2023 2:47 AM

No.

It’s all true, R139. All of it.

Sorry it’s so triggering.

by Anonymousreply 140August 22, 2023 3:19 AM

[quote] Not sure if G is a frau but is a fraud for sure. Anyone who has the time and energy to respond to every post is certainly not “entertaining.”

1. G is not a frau.

2. G is not a fraud.

3. G is very “entertaining” (I’m not clear on why we’re using quotation marks around “entertaining” but I’ll play along.

4. G is not only “entertaining” but he also likes to “entertain.”

5. G does have the time and energy to respond to many posts. And in addition to his posting duties, G also manages to entertain friends in his home.

6. It seems as though R138 needs to manage his time better.

by Anonymousreply 141August 22, 2023 11:14 AM

[quote] "It" seems to have nothing but time on "its" hands when "it" is allegedly making some disgusting concoction for a large dinner party. And mowing lawns, changing bed linens in all the guest rooms, etc. Total bullSHIT.

R139, [bold] YOU [/bold] are total bullshit.

You give off such strong idiot vibes. It’s uncanny.

A “disgusting concoction!” Please say more.

And my dinner parties are not so large. Generally six to eight people.

And I really am sorry if you think that cooking, mowing lawns, changing bed linens, and whatever your “etc” means, constitute heavy lifting. The truth is, it’s just normal life for many people.

Caring for one’s home (both inside and out) and cooking and sharing meals with friends—it’s just life.

And it doesn’t preclude posting on here.

I hope you can understand this.

Also, referring to me as “it” is really childish and makes you look bad.

by Anonymousreply 142August 22, 2023 11:27 AM

R136, Bom! Estou feliz que você riu!

by Anonymousreply 143August 22, 2023 12:51 PM

❤ Greg! Keep the good recipes coming!

by Anonymousreply 144August 22, 2023 1:07 PM

Thank you, R136!

❤️

by Anonymousreply 145August 22, 2023 1:30 PM

[quote] Gerg responds in the EXACT same way that Lipstick did.

How coincidental.

But I do like the all caps EXACT.

Well done.

by Anonymousreply 146August 24, 2023 11:41 AM

‘Dis u, Grg?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147August 25, 2023 12:42 AM

[quote] ‘Dis u, Grg?

No, I don't believe it is.

I never wear horizontal stripes.

by Anonymousreply 148August 25, 2023 4:57 PM

R65, from the post linked to below, thinks this post “fizzled out.”

I wouldn’t say a thread with this many replies fizzled out.

The R65 poster has a very limited intellect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149August 25, 2023 11:17 PM

Some more encouragement to try this salad dressing.

A good idea for this autumn weekend:

Roast a chicken on top of baguette slices and serve it cut up with a big salad tossed with this dressing and topped with the delicious chicken-infused croutons.

Roast Chicken

Salad Dressed with My Garlic, Anchovy, and Parmigiano Vinaigrette & Chicken-Roasted Croutons

And a nice crisp white wine

by Anonymousreply 150October 13, 2023 2:06 PM

Why the hell am I watching this thread??

by Anonymousreply 151October 16, 2023 2:56 PM

[quote] Why the hell am I watching this thread??

You don't know?

Have you at least tried this delicious dressing?

You should.

by Anonymousreply 152October 16, 2023 3:01 PM

Thanks Greg. Keep up the good work. I will try this. Ignore the haters (haters gonna hate).

by Anonymousreply 153October 16, 2023 5:51 PM

Excellent, R153. Just be sure you get a nice thick and creamy consistency—like a mayonnaise that will fall through a whisk.

Be sure to report back and tell us if you liked it.

by Anonymousreply 154October 16, 2023 6:06 PM

I just made it. It's fabulous. I definitely will add it to my repertoire of home made salad dressings. I never spring anything new on guests - so it's just me tonight with a big salad and some bbq pork chops, but I will make it for company later in the week. I used honey dijon by mistake, but I like the little bit of sweetness it added. it's really a very nice contrast of flavors. Good job Greg!

by Anonymousreply 155October 16, 2023 9:13 PM

Thank you, R155!

I’m so happy you tried this and liked it.

Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 156October 17, 2023 1:39 PM

What else will you serve your dinner guests this week, R155?

And will you use Dijon or honey Dijon?

by Anonymousreply 157October 17, 2023 1:40 PM

I'm going make London Broil, marinated, and I make a lovely pan sauce from the marinade. The beef is from Lobels and it always comes out amazing. I think I'll make the salad again with regular dijon vinegar. Some nice warm rolls and butter, and a nice bottle of wine. I think I'll make broccoli rabe for a vegetable.

by Anonymousreply 158October 19, 2023 9:27 PM

R158, that all sounds delicious!

Glad you'll try the dressing with Dijon mustard that does not contain honey.

by Anonymousreply 159October 20, 2023 3:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!