Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Burton's a Hindu with the hots for Lana in "The Rains of Ranchipur!"

Lana Turner is a lady in name only, Richard Burton is a Hindu doctor who desires Lana, Michael Rennie is the cuckold husband, Fred MacMurray is a brilliant architect who prefers booze, and Joan Caufield is perky & prefers Fred sober. All the characters' problems wash away by the end of "The Rains of Ranchipur." Fox's 1955 remake of "The Rains Came" has Cinemascope & color, but is strictly by the numbers. My take on the starry soap...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2023 2:54 PM

I just sold Travilla's costume sketch from this film of Burton in his white doctor scrubs for $2000.

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2023 9:39 PM

Reply 1, Fantastic! Richard actually looks good with his dark makeup and bright turbans... those piercing eyes jump out.

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2023 9:40 PM

Here's Tyrone Power in the original "The Rains Came". He doesn't look like he's from India, but at least he has large dark eyes, and the movie isn't great but it has some damn fine special effects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2023 10:00 PM

Yep, I thought at least Ty looked naturally dark. And the first version was actually a huge hit...

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2023 10:22 PM

Outrageous, op. Cringe worthy

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2023 10:35 PM

What is this called? "Brown face"?

by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2023 10:44 PM

Yes, R6, "brownface". It's now considered to be a bad thing.

My favorite example of that is from the 1950s movie "Apache", where Burt Lancaster plays Geronimo and Jean Peters plays his wife. I don't know why I can only find b&w photos of those two, because the movie is in color, so we're treated to the sight of two Apaches fighting for their tribe... with pale blue eyes and bright green eyes, respectively.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2023 10:55 PM

If he's wearing a turban, he's a SIkh, not a Hindu.

by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2023 11:30 PM

...or Gloria Swanson!

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2023 12:09 AM

Gloria FUCKING Swanson

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2023 12:21 AM

The Russian actress playing the Maharani is a hoot!

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2023 1:12 AM

The original The Rains Came with Power and Loy was superior in every way but color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2023 1:54 AM

Here's the hooty trailer to "The Rains of Ranchipur," which sums up the stakes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2023 2:16 AM

I aborted Ty's baby. What else could I do?

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2023 4:05 AM

Between Judy, Ava, and Lana, "Papa" Mayer should have hired his own in-house abortionist!

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2023 11:34 AM

Here's a very good 720p copy of "The Rains of Ranchipur."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2023 12:30 PM

Bitch stole my act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2023 2:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!