Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Greg Louganis broke?

I keep getting adverts for an auction of his Olympic medals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2023 12:51 PM

Charity OP. He gave one of his medals to Jeannie White the mother of Ryan White and one to his diving coach.

by Anonymousreply 1August 15, 2023 4:10 AM

I thought I saw some of his Speedos and tennis bracelets for sale on the RealReal

by Anonymousreply 2August 15, 2023 4:31 AM

I heard Brian Boitano kicked him in the cuntbone!

by Anonymousreply 3August 15, 2023 4:59 AM

His diving coach Sammy Lee was my eyes, ears and throat doc. He was a little guy with little guy complex.

by Anonymousreply 4August 15, 2023 5:14 AM

No one should be allowed to give away or sell an Olympic medal.

by Anonymousreply 5August 15, 2023 5:36 AM

[quote] "No one should be allowed to give away or sell an Olympic medal."

R5 = A.M.P.A.S.

by Anonymousreply 6August 15, 2023 5:56 AM

Why R5? It’s theres to do whatever with.

by Anonymousreply 7August 15, 2023 6:08 AM

It's disrespectful to the spirt and nobility of the games and to the many athletes who strove to achieve a medal but for various reasons were unsuccessful. Selling an Olympic medal is the same as spitting on Michelle Kwan.

by Anonymousreply 8August 15, 2023 7:03 AM

interestingly, you can't sell an Oscar statuette: " Oscar winners cannot sell or dispose of the Oscar statuette without first offering to sell it to the Academy for $1. "Award winners have no rights whatsoever in the Academy copyright or goodwill in the Oscar statuette or in its trademark," the Academy stated. Notably, each trophy reportedly costs over $400 to produce. "

But you can sell Nobel prizes, Golden Globes, Emmys, etc.

by Anonymousreply 9August 15, 2023 7:23 AM

No offense, but how many people want a Greg Louganis Olympic medal? At least for more than $5.

by Anonymousreply 10August 15, 2023 7:25 AM

Many people, I'd think. There are people into collecting memorabilia.

by Anonymousreply 11August 15, 2023 7:28 AM

Also, the medal is going to be worth a lot more than $5 purely for the metal - "Olympic gold medals are required to be made from at least 92.5% silver, and must contain a minimum of six grams of gold."

Medals rarely come up for sale but Cubans are more likely to sell theirs because they need money. "Cuban shooter Leuris Pupo’s gold medal from the London 2012 Olympics fetched $73,200, and his compatriot Iván Pedroso’s long jump gold medal from Sydney 2000 went for $71,335."

by Anonymousreply 12August 15, 2023 7:33 AM

The Mexican who won the billion dollar Powerball will probably buy these

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2023 4:53 PM

His personal value has decreased significantly, because despite being a person of something, he got really old for having been out in the sun for too long.

by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2023 5:01 PM

After spending your entire life perfecting a sport, if you cannot convert it to endorsement deals and such, you really aren't going to have a lot of money.

It's not like he could start a career working in finance or something. Eric Heiden got a medical degree from Stanford and became an othopedic surgeon, but that's an exception. Few of these elite level athletes in non-lucrative sports have many options available to them.

Besides endorsements, he might have been able to coach other divers, but after transferring colleges a few times, he ended up as a theater and dance major - not particularly lucrative. Few Olympic athletes became Hollywood stars.

by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2023 5:37 PM

[quote] Few Olympic athletes became Hollywood stars.

The only two successful examples I can think of both played Tarzan. Buster Crabbe ( gold medal in the 400 Meter Swimming Freestyle at the 1932 Summer Olympics) and Johnny Weissmuller ( 5 Olympic Gold Medals 1924-1928 for swimming. Broke the record in each race, and one bronze medal for water polo at the Olympic Games in 1924)

by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2023 5:51 PM

Greg doesn't have children to leave his medals to, so he can leave them in his will to a charity or a museum, or he can raise some decent money to allow him a comfortable nest egg. He never made much money from sports endorsements when he was younger due to discrimination against gays. I don't blame him, he can make over $2M from the auction proceeds, so why not?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2023 6:23 PM

I'm Team Louganis. If he wants to sell them, why not. He's a lovely man and tries to give back to the diving community as well as being a great LGBTQ spokesman.

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2023 6:48 PM

Greg Louganis, was always beautiful, inside and outside.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2023 6:57 PM

Why would anyone want them?

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2023 9:09 PM

[quote]Why would anyone want them?

Why wouldn’t someone who is interested in sports memorabilia want them?

by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2023 9:44 PM

The man is an Olympic legend in his field. Let’s not forget being openly gay cost him a lot of $ . The hate he had to endure was ridiculous. I enjoy pointless bitchery as much as the next homo, but damn, give the guy a break. He took one for the team. I wish him nothing but happiness.

by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2023 10:10 PM

[quote] It’s theres to do whatever with.

Oh, dear

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2023 10:36 PM

R8 lol clown.

by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2023 10:51 PM

He wasn't openly gay while he was competing, so I don't think it cost him all that much in terms of endorsements.

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2023 7:45 AM

Companies never chose him for endorsements because despite his really good looks he came off a gay, even if he hadn't come out.

by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2023 1:07 PM

Divers have never gotten endorsements post-Olympics. They're like male gymnasts, nobody cares. Olympic sports are the one place where female athletes tend to shine on the endorsement spectrum

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2023 7:50 AM

I met him at a book signing 20 years ago, nice guy. It’s likely an effort to shore up his retirement or pay down debt. I’d rather have my home paid off than medals sitting on a shelf.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2023 8:09 AM

[quote]spitting on Michelle Kwan

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2023 8:15 AM

He himself said doesn't attribute not getting endorsements to him being gay but because the country was obsessed with Mary Lou retton. I suppose it could be a mix of the two.

by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2023 11:23 AM

[quote] Divers have never gotten endorsements post-Olympics.

Did he even get the cover of a Wheaties box?

by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2023 2:12 PM

R31 I googled that because I was curious

by Anonymousreply 32September 16, 2023 2:22 PM

[quote] I googled that because I was curious

Well what was the answer?

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2023 2:31 PM

[quote] Divers have never gotten endorsements post-Olympics.

Does that include crocheting wunderkind Tom Daley, or was his only endorsement from horse DLB?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2023 2:33 PM

r33 Probably best for you to check for yourself - many reasons behind my decision

by Anonymousreply 35September 16, 2023 2:34 PM

Louganis did not get a Wheaties box, Mary Lou Retton did, however.

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2023 6:50 PM

That's not entirely true, R27. Of course, despite my name, unlike Greg, I'm not actually one.

by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2023 7:07 PM

Male figure skaters don’t get endorsements either.

by Anonymousreply 38September 16, 2023 7:18 PM

I was going to post about this,OP,but I didn't want it DL to rip Greg to shreds wondering what the motive was behind selling his Olympic medals. Auction aside ,I'm from Greg's generation, and I always got the impression that he wanted to be 'saved' by a partner. He was adopted by a white family,is mixed with Samoan ancestry,said he was called the n-word growing and is a female leaning gay. That had to be a lot to deal with ,so he turned to sports/swimming 🥽 which we know he excelled at. But he was in a closeted relationship with a man that belittled and sexually assaulted him-in addition to leaving him financially strapped and most likely caught HIV from him, according to Greg. That man has since died ,but Greg is still here.

For whatever reasons, Greg never got the lucrative endorsements that come form being an Olympic gold medalist when he was in his prime . I wish he would have parlayed his notoriety into a line of men's swimwear/underwear 🩳🩲 or something along those lines . If he had better management,that would have been the natural path to follow for a celebrated Olympic champion like Greg Louganis. It's still not too late for that-he doesn't have to do the day to day work for a man in his 60's -just license his name.

I wish Greg all the best -he deserves to have some stability in his later years and if selling his medals can do that 😉,more power to him. The medals are just a physical representation of all that he has accomplished. He will always have the memories of what he achieved and that's all that matters.

by Anonymousreply 39September 16, 2023 7:24 PM

Fem leaning gay I meant !

by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2023 7:25 PM

[quote] I wish he would have parlayed his notoriety into a line of men's swimwear/underwear 🩳🩲

Is he into fisting?

by Anonymousreply 41September 16, 2023 7:27 PM

He seems like a really great person

by Anonymousreply 42September 17, 2023 2:14 PM

A woman I worked with kept her bronze medal on her office desk. A co-worker asked her why and she said "Well you already know I'm mean, I just want to remind you I'm faster than you". She was a sweetheart, the only Olympic medalist I ever met.

by Anonymousreply 43September 17, 2023 2:35 PM

R43...A bit of Olympic trivia for fans of the TV show 'Strangers with Candy'. The actress Delores (Dwyer) Duffy who was the school secretary, Iris Puffybush actually completed in the 1952 Helsinki Olympics and won the *Bronze* medal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 17, 2023 4:11 PM

sorry about the bad link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 17, 2023 4:12 PM

He's auctioning them off to raise money for The Damien Center, an HIV/AIDS foundation. They're raising money for a new building. It's on his website.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2023 12:45 AM

Next stop:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2023 1:21 AM

[quote]He's auctioning them off to raise money for The Damien Center.

Why, thank you! Saving a nice place for you in hell, Greg!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2023 12:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!