Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Last Picture Show: 2023 DL Discussion

Watched it for the first time, recently. Watched the linked "making of" video. My opinions. Cybill Shepherd was perfectly cast as the prettiest girl in town, but casually cruel, shallow, and a user. I have a soft spot for Jeff Bridges, but I think his Texas accent was waxing and waning.

Tim Bottoms reminded me of Ryan Reynolds, lookswise. Cloris Leachman said he refused to get naked for their sex scene ("I ain't gettin' naked"). They both should have gotten naked for that scene, really. There was already the naked pool scene.

I love Cloris Leachman, but the final scene didn't impress me as much as I wanted.

The monologue scene with Ben Johnson was also a bit underwhelming. Bogdanovich said that the monologue (from McMurtry's book) was worse, before rewriting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2023 2:16 AM

Check out the Polly Platt episodes of “You Must Remember This” podcast for a lot of behind-the-scenes info from “The Last Picture Show.”

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2023 8:25 PM

R1, I have that on my list. I just read the other DL threads (all now closed) on TLPS.

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2023 8:27 PM

OP, Peter Bogdanovich was reportedly quite a mega prick IRL, but this is a great movie. Sublime. Ellen Burstyn was fabulous. My favorites, though, are the two Bottoms brothers, Timothy and Sam.

Any other Bottoms fans on DL? (Please, no bottom jokes, for the love of God.) Timothy Bottoms, as elder gays will recall, starred with that great gay actor, John Houseman, in The Paper Chase.

Good thread choice, OP!

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2023 9:54 PM

R3, Peter Bog does seem like an asshole. I would recommend watching the linked video. Sam was just visiting Tim Bottoms on set when Peter Bog cast him.

Sorry, not a huge fan of the brothers. I do think Tim should’ve stripped down for his sex scene.

I’m rewatching the movie as I’ve rented it for 48 hours. Lots of nudity — except for the one scene where 2 people are actually in bed, having sex.

I think Tim would’ve stripped down if the scene were with Cybill. Peter B. Said that Tim wasn’t acting in his makeout scene w/Cybill.

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2023 10:02 PM

Tim went full frontal in a movie just several years ago. I don't remember the title, he showed everything. Maybe he thought it was appropriate after he aged.

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2023 10:07 PM

Has this been colorized anywhere? It would benefit from the Ted Turner touch.

by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2023 10:12 PM

It's the film I suggest to friends who want to understand Americans. The deep well of that American strain of loneliness and sadness that seems the root of so many things.

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2023 11:07 PM

I think Cyrillic was perfect as Jacy too.

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2023 11:16 PM

It is one of my favorite movies of all time, easily in my top 10. The Criterion Collection put out a 4K disc of it last week which I picked up, and it looks glorious. The sequel, "Texasville", is included as a second feature in its director's cut format. I'd highly recommend getting it for anyone who is a fan and didn't already buy that stupid multi-film Columbia Pictures 4K set last year. This film deserved a standalone release . I was annoyed at having to buy the "America Lost & Found" Criterion Blu-ray set some years ago just to have the film in high-definition, though there were some other gems in that set that made it worth owning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2023 2:04 AM

I disagree with you about both Leachman's scene and Ben Johnson's speech. Though these scenes didn't exist in a vacuum. Their performances overall were wonderful. Why should "big scenes" stand out from the whole?

Incidentally, Bogdanovich said Cloris wanted to re-do that particular scene, feeling she could do it better, but he refused to do it. John Ford typically did only one or two takes. He thought it was fresher and more real that way.

I actually love watching Peter Bogdanovich interviewed or telling stories. I'm glad he's finally getting some respect as a great director. He was far better than Coppola, for example (I wish he'd directed The Outsiders instead of Coppola). Too bad it seems to be happening more since he died.

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2023 2:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!